Malign Portents

Will Myers

I enjoyed the most recent story. Nurgle deamons fighting a human undead hybrid is great. I am excited to build that army as a freeguild player.

I think a rain of magic arrows banishing a greater demon makes sense if you play AoS. Without magic arrows thats how most of my Free Guild games go.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Cerlin said:

I enjoyed the most recent story. Nurgle deamons fighting a human undead hybrid is great. I am excited to build that army as a freeguild player.

I think a rain of magic arrows banishing a greater demon makes sense if you play AoS. Without magic arrows thats how most of my Free Guild games go.

I enjoyed the story, but banishing Rotigus so quickly seems to deadend that developing storyline pretty quickly. Horticulous is still around so I guess that it's not over, but I do wonder where it's going.

Also, everyone seems to have magic arrows in the Mortal Realms, rotbringers have their blight arrows, Stormcast have star-fated arrows and now even random archers in Shyish have them.

11 minutes ago, Dorimant said:

Also, everyone seems to have magic arrows in the Mortal Realms, rotbringers have their blight arrows, Stormcast have star-fated arrows and now even random archers in Shyish have them.

Haven't you noticed that before? Many units in AoS are equipped with something that earlier would have been an artifact but here is a common sight. Like weapons. Wherever you look, you will find star blades, starsteel lances, blood lances, grave shields, shock handaxes, hell-forged halberds etc, it's a normal thing here, even if it's a common unit. One of the features of Mortal Realms.

I actually think the magic arrows and bolts where the entire point of the story. Rotigus seems to know his way around Shysh and the servants of Nagash and these guys came as a total surprise to him, both in working with the Dead and their capable ammunition. Tells us that so far, Death has not been using this sort of magically charged ammunition before (just as Stormcasts weapons where before unknown).

You know, of course I think magical bolts that can banish even greater daemons are totally AoS.

What is not AoS is some random mortals that can be mistaken for villagers showing up with them. So far it has been mighty forest spirits, favored mutant servants of Tzeentch on daemonic steeds, reincarnating super warriors and their likes lugging that sort of stuff around.

What sort of rubs me the wrong way about this story is, you would think in AoS somebody with that sort of firepower would at the very least have some snazzy armor and uniform worth describing on their first appearance.

Anyway, I do not think we see any sort of formalized unit described here. I think we can see here a sort of "field testing for a prototype" of elements we might see in one or more post-Malign Portents Death force. Like these weapons are meant to be wielded by some sort of mythic warrior like the aforementioned, but while those are not ready, Nagash hands them out to stuggling mortals to see ihow well they do. At least that is in the current context what makes the most sense to me.

I'm looking forward to seeing more mortals being side by side the undead. While I'm not happy at the lack of information on them (so far) I'm excited at the prospect. Not to mention it's somewhat amusing seeing Rotigus see himself as the hero in this story.

I like to think that the current timeline in AoS, regardless of the fact that ruins from earlier empires in the Age of Myth are commonly fought over, is the sort of time that most game and RPG settings label "The time of Legends", and have the characters encountering stories, relics and ruins of that time, hundreds or thousands of years later. 

So theoretically people a thousand years or more after the Realmgate Wars will tell stories of how mages created bridges of starlight for armies to race across, titanic monsters made of fire were chained up as suns, and even common troops had magic swords and bows that shot arrows of light, and every once in a while one of those weapons turns up and is wielded by some big-time hero because ironically it's now considered priceless.

It's just odd because we are so trained to imagine those crumbling ruins as a setting to be dungeon delving under, rather than having them be freshly-made and lived in, although (I think) sometimes AoS goes a good deal too far into the fantastical, and it ends up being too sci-fi, like the orbital ring of forges around the Old World's core, when I just want Spelljammer.

Age of Sigmar is the Silmarillion mixed with the movie Heavy Metal, for good or ill.

7 hours ago, Rogue Explorator said:

What sort of rubs me the wrong way about this story is, you would think in AoS somebody with that sort of firepower would at the very least have some snazzy armor and uniform worth describing on their first appearance.

I think that is what surprised me about the magic arrows. Normally, even in the Mortal Realms, people with that sort of magic are infused with some god's power or are magical themselves.

I don't have an issue with it, and it fits with how low-key they're treating the forces of death.

On 27.01.2018 at 12:56 AM, Rogue Explorator said:

One thing I have noticed about Death in the Malign Portents narrative so far: They are never the protagonist or a viewpoint character. We had multiple cases of Nurgle daemon protagonists, another Nurgle Champion protagonist, some Free Peoples and one story from a stormcast perspective. The closest thing we got was the lady in Grim Deliverance, and hers is one of the most ambiguos roles in a storyline flled with ambguity so far.

At this point the forces of Death are played less like a active part in the upcoming event and more like a force of nature or calamity for others to overcome. Issue for me is, Death is also a playable faction in this story event and yet we do not really know what Death is driving at. I hope this changes soon, it is really hard to get behind your chosen faction when you do not even know what it really wants.

I agree , it looks like this campaign is just a start. We won't see the perspectice of Nagash. It's about discovering what is his scheme. New Death release (new faction or updated old models) will be probably in summer along with bigger campaign. The name of this campaign is "Malign Portents" after all. Only portents, war with death will come later.

44 minutes ago, michu said:

I agree , it looks like this campaign is just a start. We won't see the perspectice of Nagash. It's about discovering what is his scheme. New Death release (new faction or updated old models) will be probably in summer along with bigger campaign. The name of this campaign is "Malign Portents" after all. Only portents, war with death will come later.

Agreed! Malign portents is simply a period of dark omens and is just the start. 

I doubt there is bigger campaign in the summer. I think Malign Portents is just getway into darker, more story driven AoS narrative. So far it was more high fantasy with Gods battling with each other but Malign Portents shifted focus in different more dark direction. All that could lead into several things like Slaanesh being flee with his cults blowing up in Mortal Realms etc. 

I just doubt this campaign is prelude to another campaign centered about Death 

This upcoming campaign will definitely be the only one this year but it will not be the end of Malign Portents. GW have confirmed that it will be a year long event. The end of the campaign will come right around Adepticon.

I expect the end of the campaign will reveal what Nagash is doing which will probably be a new death faction announced at Adepticon. 

53 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

I doubt there is bigger campaign in the summer. I think Malign Portents is just getway into darker, more story driven AoS narrative. So far it was more high fantasy with Gods battling with each other but Malign Portents shifted focus in different more dark direction. All that could lead into several things like Slaanesh being flee with his cults blowing up in Mortal Realms etc. 

I just doubt this campaign is prelude to another campaign centered about Death 

I agree. I think that MP is indeed a AoS narrative setting for players that offers a lot of new scenario's and different objectives. In general I believe that it gives Death a nice focus this time and in the end I think this is what MP will do.

Where we certainly agree upon is that at the end of this Slaanesh will probably be freed again. This could then lead into a new book that gives Chaos a nice focus and might just lead into Destruction getting their book followed by Order to finish the cycle basically...

Still a lot of this is speculation. I just think that GW wants to make AoS as interesting as possible this year and this certainly should include a campaign like MP is. There is more hype around it as usual and this is very good for GW. Despite people being dissapointed about "the clock" it still has made pretty much every GW customer aware that there is a AoS campaign going on and in reality that's the only point they have to make.

One thing that always interests me in caampaigns like these is how seriously some people take them I've already seen plenty of belly-aching about how 'Order just gets a free win' which...idk maybe?

It's a pretty jarring thing for me because it reminds me that some people actually participate in these. Now don't get me wrong, I love the story advancement and the associated model releases and the whole atmosphere of campaigns. I love when they announce a new one because it means all sorts of new stuff. 

Actually participating has consistently been more hassle than it's worth though. 'Hey, paint this huge number of specific models in the amount of time it takes you to do a squad, then buy and paint this other SPECIAL model that sucks so hard on the table that it makes you physically nauseous. Then buy this 40$ book and play a bunch of games using 'fun'missions that result in 10 minute long massacres. Didn't feel like playing today? Too bad, there's a quota! Then report all your purchasing, building, painting, and playing to a bored hobbyshop cashier who's never even heard of 'Sigmar' despite the giant sign on the front door. Then check this website that's deliberately opaque in order to see if your faction is winning. Oh, your reward for winning? Uhhhhhh...some story stuff?'

Basically if you don't have an actual GW store in your area, these are a huge hassel with amazing fringe benefits that you can collect without even doing anything!

7 hours ago, Aegisgrimm said:

Age of Sigmar is the Silmarillion mixed with the movie Heavy Metal, for good or ill.

I'd say it's like in old good times, DnD made manifest but in the way only GW does. It's like all DnD planes combined. 

4 hours ago, Dorimant said:

I think that is what surprised me about the magic arrows. Normally, even in the Mortal Realms, people with that sort of magic are infused with some god's power or are magical themselves.

It's a matter of perspective. In the Old World elves with silverwood spears or dwarves with runic axes would be considered special, but here it's all a common sight.

1 minute ago, Menkeroth said:

I'd say it's like in old good times, DnD made manifest but in the way only GW does. It's like all DnD planes combined. 

It's a matter of perspective. In the Old World elves with silverwood spears or dwarves with runic axes would be considered special, but here it's all a common sight.

The mortal Free Peoples (who still represent the vast majority of the Realms inhabitants) do not have any of that. For the most part they are lucky to have their unkles old beaten blade from back when he was a soldier, just as those in the Old World did.

It is just that AoS fokuses so much on the small but powerful larger than life, mythical groups that mostly provide the settings movers and shakers that also exist, that makes it seem like everyone and their grandmother runs around bedecked in magic arms and armor. Every bit we have gotten so far on normal mortal life in the Realms we have gotten so far tells us that is actually far from true.

Well, it depends, of course, but mostly - yes, which I find good as it's a norm for high fantasy settings, common people make no sense in them and even worse, spoil all the atmosphere. And all the completely new factions or those that have gotten their tomes show us that the equipment is always something special yet commonplace in the new setting. And this is as it should be.

9 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

I think DnD players or rpg'er would definitely get their heads around the concept far easier than some.

The beauty now is that there can be a realm for everything and a demiplane for everything within planes within planes - we're no longer restricted to a physical planet.  Also the way that the MP interviews hinted that the realmgates can take many forms such as a ravenloft mist for instance, the physical constructs are only a part of what defines a realmgate - in this context in the old world the Seafang's figure head which transported Wulfric could be a realmgate.

love it.

I think it's changing a lot and shift from High Fantasy into something darker is happening for some time. 

The initial lore with Age of Myth etc was very high fantasy and its hard to relate to Stormcasts.

But there are number of Battletomes and linked with them novels that moved from this and showed life in particular Realms

- Sylvaneth and their civilisation and they are all about protecting their realm 

- City of Secrets was great in showing Tzeentch cults in normal cities. 

- Kharadron Overlords established their culture and style of live. 

Now DoKhaine will get their lore. 

That's why free peoples army would be awesome or mortal followers ofI can imagine KO trying to raid some cities and people organize their defence. Or Morathi attacking some kind of realm where huge Cult of Slaanesh  Tzeentch or Nagash  is operating. 

But battles between Celestial Prime and for example Bloodthrister are just to high fantasy and do not show actual troops. 

That's why mortal free people army would be cool or some kind of free people followers of Nagash or BT of Free People where you can choose allegiance to Chaos, Nagash, Sigmar or even go bonkers in marauding frenzy of Destruction. 

Archived