• 4 weeks later...

Maybe if you have 2/3 of those beast it could be fun but I don’t think it will be competitive. But if you want, use at leat one kharybdyss as a bravery bomb with felgaze. A hydra with acidic blood is always « good » to. Then at least one big unit of corsairs or two (maximize the bodies). I thing a fleetmaster has to be taken,  then one sorceress or two and like 2x3 scourgrunners. Won’t be so much competitive but sure it will be fun to play 😉

Edited by Crashnarf

14 hours ago, Crashnarf said:

Maybe if you have 2/3 of those beast it could be fun but I don’t think it will be competitive. But if you want, use at leat one kharybdyss as a bravery bomb with felgaze. A hydra with acidic blood is always « good » to. Then at least one big unit of corsairs or two (maximize the bodies). I thing a fleetmaster has to be taken,  then one sorceress or two and like 2x3 scourgrunners. Won’t be so much competitive but sure it will be fun to play 😉

Most monster mash armies aren't that competitive due to lacking bodies for objectives, but they do always look cool. 

4 hours ago, PraetorDragoon said:

Most monster mash armies aren't that competitive due to lacking bodies for objectives, but they do always look cool. 

You are right sir. But monsters are so cool 😁. For exemple I will play a tournament in june (team, 1k each). My partner will have the following : strardrake, castellant, 2x5 liberators and maybe 5 protectors. I’ve decide to play Anvilgard with Fleetmaster as a general (with the command trait that allows him to cast a spell), a sorceress, 40 corsairs,3 scourgrunners and a Drakesworm. 

Will be fun I think 😁

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I want more beasties in my army and have been looking at what could be modelled as [beast+handlers]. They’d lack the Scourge Privateer keyword but never mind.

Steam-tank: some kind of thick-skinned, fire-breathing monster captured in the Great Parch. Steam cannon and steam gun are its fiery breath. Crushing wheels are it’s claws/maw. Long rifle, repeater handgun and sword/rod are the handlers’ weapons (as crossbows for the firearms, likely). But what kind of beast...some kinda fire-spitting armadillo?

I’m not sure how I’d model it! Base it on something from the tyranid range and use a lot of Green Stuff, perhaps.

The gyro-flyers could be captured Aqshy flying beasts with riders. 

What other ideas are there for things to count-as captured beasts?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 3:55 AM, Kierdale said:

I want more beasties in my army and have been looking at what could be modelled as [beast+handlers]. They’d lack the Scourge Privateer keyword but never mind.

Steam-tank: some kind of thick-skinned, fire-breathing monster captured in the Great Parch. Steam cannon and steam gun are its fiery breath. Crushing wheels are it’s claws/maw. Long rifle, repeater handgun and sword/rod are the handlers’ weapons (as crossbows for the firearms, likely). But what kind of beast...some kinda fire-spitting armadillo?

I’m not sure how I’d model it! Base it on something from the tyranid range and use a lot of Green Stuff, perhaps.

The gyro-flyers could be captured Aqshy flying beasts with riders. 

What other ideas are there for things to count-as captured beasts?

Pretty much everything with a big base would work. 
hurricanum could be a bastillidon like monster with a relic on its back. 
General on gryphon could be a flying monster tethered to handlers on the ground. 
artillery could be something like the gobba spittas from forgeworld. 

more out there thing could be: prosecutors as flying beast riders. 
Celestant prime a captured small dragon.  

the question is more what kind of monster you’d want to create and fit your theme. 
there are great deepkin conversions which use screamers of tzeentch as mounts. You could do similar for the prosecutors/any cavalry. 
moe a big hermit crab like monster that carries the hurricanum artefact. 
or a big octopus for a dreadlord on blackdragon. It can fly just like squigs can. It’s gassy breath is a inkt breath weapon. 
damn now i got myself to excited 

I've started building an Anvilgard Army. Had a WHFB Dark Elf army back in ye old world so I want to focus on the Dark Elf units. I love the Black Ark Corsairs models and want to run 40 of them (double handweapons)  in my 2K points list. What's the internet's opinion on those Swashbucklers? So far I've played two Meeting Engagements with 20 Corsairs, buffed by the Fleetmaster and they seem to be quite alright. 

Darkshards seem solid too. But what about the rest? Drakespawn Knights, Bleakswords/Spears, Executioners, Black Guard...? 

Can you guys recommend some other units (don't have to be Dark Elves) that work well with the Dark Elf units?

Also: How is Anvilgard reGARDed (hehe 😅) in terms of strength to the other cities? At a glance it doesn't seem really competitive. Which brings me to the last question: If I would want to switch it up later on and plop my Dark Elf units in a different city, which one would you suggest work best for them?

I've attached some photos of my force. Quite pleased with them so far. I want to create the idea of a jungle and sea vibe with the bases.

Spoiler

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-31 at 20.47.08 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-31 at 20.47.08.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-31 at 20.47.09 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-31 at 20.47.09.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-02 at 15.53.22 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-02 at 15.53.22 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-02 at 15.53.22.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-03 at 13.04.34 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-03 at 13.04.34 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-03 at 13.04.34.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-07 at 20.47.49 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-07 at 20.47.49.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-12 at 10.44.14.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-12 at 11.12.55.jpeg

Edited by Causalis
hide photos in spoiler so that they don't bloat the thread
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Darkshards are solid.  A sorceress or 2 are great...can sacrifice some dark shards to help her with her spells.  Her spell and the Vitrolic spray spell are very useful.  You might want to try a spell portal endless spell if you want to be throwing around vitrolic spray which removes armour saves.  Pairs well with darkshards and corsairs who have lots of attacks and no armour piercing.

The block of 40 corsairs are solid enough...takes some effort for your opponent to kill, can dish out some damage and are cheap-ish for a 40 model unit.  Not elite, but very serviceable.  

Scourgerunner chariots are very good.  Cheap, fast and dish out solid shooting damage.   Blackguard are a solid hammer unit.  Can back them up with a sorceress and maybe emerald lifeswarm to keep them at alive longer.    Dreadlord on blackdragon is solid.   

For the non-dark elves, the hurricanum is fantastic.  Shadow warriors are another great unit that can really help with ability to claim undefended objectives and harass those defended objectives.  Pheonixguard are a great anvil unit and would pair well with your pirates...just paint them to match your dark elves.   Gyrocoptors is another great unit...they can tear through horde units.

Other dark elf units (executioners, drake spawn knights and chariots, asassin, kharibsyss, hydra) are all okay but not great.  I use the hydra and the khrabidyss a lot...i like the models and they can be useful if you pick their spots...they are just not as awesome as you want them to be. 

For other cities, tempest eye is awesome for dark elves and lots of dark shards.  Hallowheart works if you want to go magic heavy.  I want living city to work with dragons but i havent found the sweet spot for this army to work great yet.

On 6/14/2020 at 6:51 AM, Causalis said:

I've started building an Anvilgard Army

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 2:51 PM, Causalis said:

I've started building an Anvilgard Army. Had a WHFB Dark Elf army back in ye old world so I want to focus on the Dark Elf units. I love the Black Ark Corsairs models and want to run 40 of them (double handweapons)  in my 2K points list. What's the internet's opinion on those Swashbucklers? So far I've played two Meeting Engagements with 20 Corsairs, buffed by the Fleetmaster and they seem to be quite alright. 

Darkshards seem solid too. But what about the rest? Drakespawn Knights, Bleakswords/Spears, Executioners, Black Guard...? 

Can you guys recommend some other units (don't have to be Dark Elves) that work well with the Dark Elf units?

Also: How is Anvilgard reGARDed (hehe 😅) in terms of strength to the other cities? At a glance it doesn't seem really competitive. Which brings me to the last question: If I would want to switch it up later on and plop my Dark Elf units in a different city, which one would you suggest work best for them?

I've attached some photos of my force. Quite pleased with them so far. I want to create the idea of a jungle and sea vibe with the bases.

Hide contents

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-31 at 20.47.08 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-31 at 20.47.08.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-31 at 20.47.09 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-31 at 20.47.09.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-02 at 15.53.22 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-02 at 15.53.22 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-02 at 15.53.22.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-03 at 13.04.34 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-03 at 13.04.34 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-03 at 13.04.34.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-07 at 20.47.49 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-07 at 20.47.49.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-12 at 10.44.14.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-12 at 11.12.55.jpeg

Dope models first off all! 

1. regarding corsairs, I reckon they do work better in small games as they are cheap bodies. With a cheap support hero. but honestly within the huge cities unit roster there are better option for whatever role you give them. 

2. Darkshards are great. Definitely quantity over quality. But one of the few shooting units in cities that aren’t penalised for moving. (Works great with tempest eye regarding your last question.)

3. Get a dreadlord on black dragon. If you want to BRANCH out into living cities it’s especially good.  Do magnetise the arm with a shield and the crossbow for that reason though. Don’t see a sorceress in your list either. They are great for getting key spells like soulscream bridge off. And their warscroll spell is also quite good. 
executioners are sadly not as good anymore, but still an easy source of mortal wounds  

4.  Living cities and tempest eye seem the obvious choices. 
tempest eye builds into the speed and hordey nature of dark elves with their +1 attack spell and bonus save in turn one. 
living cities is fun too. Black dragon dreadlord with crossbow can: ambush, shoot, move due to command ability, do a 3” charge. But dark riders with move, shoot, move, charge can go from one corner to the next to claim that objectives. 

this all based on my personal experience though, so your experiences might be different. 

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

I've made a 2000p list:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Anvilgard (Illicit Dealings: Hidden Agents)
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Black Ark Fleetmaster (60)
- General
- Command Trait: Blackfang Crimelord
Dreadlord on Black Dragon (300)
- Lance of Spite & Shield
- Artefact: Drakescale Cloak
- Drakeblood Curse: Jutting Bones
Sorceress (90)
- Lore of Dark Sorcerery: Vitriolic Spray
- City Role: General's Adjutant
Sorceress (90)
- Lore of Dark Sorcerery: Shadow Daggers
40 x Black Ark Corsairs (280)
- Vicious Blade & Wicked Cutlass
20 x Darkshards (200)
3 x Scourgerunner Chariots (150)
Kharibdyss (170)
- Drakeblood Curse: Acidic Blood
Kharibdyss (170)
20 x Phoenix Guard (320)
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Emerald Lifeswarm (50)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 151

What do you think? I've got board control with the Corsairs, the wombo-combo of Vitriolic Spray + Spellportal, an anvil with the Phoenix Guard (+ Lifeswarm!), Dakka with the Darkshards and Chariots and some good punch with the Dragon and Kharidysses. 

Speaking of: In the games I've played so far I am quite fond of the two Kharibdysses. They are deceivingly tanky as they heal D3 wounds each time they kill at least one model and putting Acidic Blood on one of them makes the 170p monster surprisingly deadly in melee. 

Any recommendations for an anvil unit aside from the Phoenix Guard. They probably are the best but they are darn expensive! I really want to like Black Guard but they are so close in points to the PG that there is almost no point in taking them. :( 

33 minutes ago, Causalis said:

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

I've made a 2000p list:

Reveal hidden contents

Mortal Realm: Aqshy
- General
- Lance of Spite & Shield
- Drakeblood Curse: Jutting Bones
Sorceress (90)
Sorceress (90)
- Lore of Dark Sorcerery: Shadow Daggers
40 x Black Ark Corsairs (280)
- Vicious Blade & Wicked Cutlass
20 x Darkshards (200)
3 x Scourgerunner Chariots (150)
Kharibdyss (170)
Kharibdyss (170)
20 x Phoenix Guard (320)
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Emerald Lifeswarm (50)

Wounds: 151

What do you think? I've got board control with the Corsairs, the wombo-combo of Vitriolic Spray + Spellportal, an anvil with the Phoenix Guard (+ Lifeswarm!), Dakka with the Darkshards and Chariots and some good punch with the Dragon and Kharidysses. 

Speaking of: In the games I've played so far I am quite fond of the two Kharibdysses. They are deceivingly tanky as they heal D3 wounds each time they kill at least one model and putting Acidic Blood on one of them makes the 170p monster surprisingly deadly in melee. 

Any recommendations for an anvil unit aside from the Phoenix Guard. They probably are the best but they are darn expensive! I really want to like Black Guard but they are so close in points to the PG that there is almost no point in taking them. :( 

For an anvil: Dwarfs an option? Or the new Lumineth in time? The hammerer dude apparently rock a 3+ re-rollable save. But we don't know points or how much of that survivability comes from allegiance abilities. 

Good to hear about the Kharibdysses. Love the model, but don't have it yet. 

Chariots are a very good shout as well. 

List looks good. Lots of little threats. Although that not always works, but I find that a more rewarding playstyle vs one or two big threats. 
For me 320pts for a solid anvil isnt that expensive. 

And at certain point you just need to get playing. :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 12:40 PM, Alessio said:

@Causalis very nice models, how did you make the water?

Thanks. The water is Water Texture from Vallejo over turquoise color. 

Had a 1500p game against Living City. Opponent had lots of Irondrakes, Durthu, Hurricanum and the Bridge to teleport his force. I had Sorceress, Fleetmaster, Hurricanum, blob of 40 Corsairs, 20 Darkshards, unit of 3 charitos, 2 Kahribdysses and the Lifeswarm.

Was a fun and close game. Gave him first turn and he killed 1 Kahridbyss and charged the other with Durthu. But it survived and Acid Blood dealt like 8 MWs to Durthu. In my turn I heald the Kahribdyss with the Lifeswarm and charged my Corsairs into his Irondrakes. Supported by my Hurricanum and the CP from the Fleetmaster they did a lot of damage. 

In the end I managed to table my opponent on turn 4. Kharibdysses and chariots are very nice "chaff" units. It doesn't break my back if my opponent focuses them and it keeps my Corsairs alive a little longer. Having a Hurricanum is also very good. Give it Thermal Rider Cloak and it can deliver it's buff wherever needed. 

On 6/16/2020 at 12:49 PM, Kramer said:

For an anvil: Dwarfs an option?

Yes, but I am converting everything to look like Dark Elves and I just can't find any Dark Elf models in full plate and with shields to count as Ironbreakers or Longbeards.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Causalis said:
On 6/16/2020 at 12:49 PM, Kramer said:

Yes, but I am converting everything to look like Dark Elves and I just can't find any Dark Elf models in full plate and with shields to count as Ironbreakers or Longbeards

What about the new luminerh. No idea if they are any good without their allegiance abilities though. 

• 1 month later...

This ist my list. I have ebough Units to hold a Mission. What so you think?

- City: Anvilgard (Illicit Dealings: Dabbling in Sorcery)

Leaders
Anointed (100)
- General
Battlemage (110)
Luminark of Hysh With White Battlemage (270)

Battleline
30 x Phoenix Guard (420)
10 x Phoenix Guard (160)
10 x Phoenix Guard (160)
Kharibdyss (170)
War Hydra (170)
War Hydra (170)

Units
10 x Shadow Warriors (110)

Wounds: 127

• 2 weeks later...

So inspired by this list https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/cities-of-bravery-shenanigans/ I am tickering with this bravery bomb list for casual play:

Leaders
- General
Battlemage (110)
- Mortal Realm: Shyish
Sorceress (90)
Sorceress (90)

Battleline
20 x Darkshards (200)
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
20 x Black Ark Corsairs (160)
- Vicious Blade & Repeater Handbow
3 x Scourgerunner Chariots (210)
Kharibdyss (170)
- Drakeblood Curse: Fell Gaze
Kharibdyss (170)

Units
5 x Dark Riders (110)
5 x Dark Riders (110)
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)
3 x Crypt Flayers (170)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Horrorghast (60)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 146

The core would basically be two Start Collecting! Boxes and some untis with constant bravery reducing auras. Their purpose is to make the Crypt Flayer mercenaries' (Tenebrous Court) Death Scream more efficient:

Death Scream: Crypt Flayers can unleash an ultrasonic cry that can kill or debilitate their victims. Do not use the attack sequence for an attack made with a Death Scream. Instead roll 2D6. Subtract 2 if the target unit is more than 3" from the attacking model. If the result is higher than the target unit’s Bravery characteristic, the target unit suffers a number of mortal wounds equal to the difference between its Bravery characteristic and the result.

Edited by Bayul

On 8/10/2020 at 2:15 PM, Bayul said:

So inspired by this list https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/cities-of-bravery-shenanigans/ I am tickering with this bravery bomb list for casual play:

I too looked at this and like the concept and think it would be fun to run.  My only concern is the shooting attack states to use the enemies "bravery characteristic" and not their bravery.  If you lower their bravery with the other models, do you reduce their "bravery characteristic"?  The wording makes me nervous.  Also sad its a "ask your opponent" thing as it didnt seem like the mercenaries were imbalanced....

4 hours ago, basement dweller said:

My only concern is the shooting attack states to use the enemies "bravery characteristic" and not their bravery.  If you lower their bravery with the other models, do you reduce their "bravery characteristic"?  The wording makes me nervous. 

It's the same. All modifiers apply when you use Death Scream.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello people of the cities! I’ve recently found a decent amount of dark elves abandoned by a friend years ago. Most of the 1500 base list is from things that I already own (I could fit some black guards and a couple of cold one chariots).

From there (and supposing that the 1500 list is somewhat acceptable I would like to expand up to 2000. What do you think is best?

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
- Exile Blade & Shield
Sorceress (90)
Sorceress (90)

Battleline
20 x Darkshards (200)
10 x Dreadspears (90)
10 x Dreadspears (90)

Units
10 x Drakespawn Knights (260)
30 x Executioners (300)

Umbral Spellportal (70)

Total: 1490 / 2000
Wounds: 114

I thought some options for expanding to 2000...

Option 1:

Leaders

Battleline

Units
20 x Irondrakes (300)

Soulscream Bridge (100)

Total: 510 / 2000
Wounds: 30

Option 2:

Leaders

Battleline

Units
1 x Drakespawn Chariots (80)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (130)

Behemoths
War Hydra (170)

Total: 490 / 2000
Wounds: 38

Or maybe adding a Luminarch or Hurricanum or even a Phoenix or Phoenix Guard?? Some dispell power from a Runelord to realicate endless spells? (Or annoited)

So many options....!!

Edited by Jymmy

• 2 months later...

Hi!

I created a new list focused on monsters and mobility. Some thoughts would ne great :)

++ **Pitched Battle** 1,000 (Order - Cities of Sigmar) [1,000pts] ++

+ Leader +

Dreadlord on Black Dragon [300pts]: 1. Drakescale Cloak, 2. Jutting Bones, 3. Secretive Warlock (Vitriolic Spray), Exile Blade and Tyrant Shield, General

Sorceress [90pts]: 3. Vitriolic Spray

+ Battleline +

Darkshards [100pts]: 10 Darkshards

Drakespawn Knights [130pts]: 5 Drakespawn Knights, Hornblower, Standard Bearer

War Hydra [170pts]: 1. Acidic Blood

+ Other +

Scourgerunner Chariots [210pts]: 3x Scourgerunner Chariot

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance
. Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar: Anvilgard

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 1000 Points - Battlehost