2 hours ago, Korwey said:

I played a little AoS back when it was released 1ed but I'm back thanks to the CoS-Avilgard  faction :) So I'm not up to date with the game.
What do you think  (semi-competitive) of Kharadoron Overlords as Allies? I'm converting a Frigate for a monster-hunter vessel and  wondering if it will see some play.

Tempest's eye could actually have them as CoS units, so there's that. It would be interesting to have Kharadron flying whalers support Anvilgard, though if it's just hunting, pairing them with Rangers might be better.

• Like 1

My attempt at listbuilding: 

LEADERS
Sorceress (90)
- Artefact : Drakescale Cloak
- Spell : Lore of Dark Sorcerey - Vitriolic Spray (Anvilgard Wizard)
Black Ark Fleetmaster (60)
- General
- Artefact : Venomfang Blade

UNITS
10 x Black Ark Corsairs (80)
1 x Scourgerunner Chariots (60)

10 x Black Guard (140)
10 x Freeguild Pistoliers (200)
10 x Sequitors (260)
5 x Evocators (220)

BEHEMOTHS
Kharibdyss (170)
Celestial Hurricanum (220)

BATTALIONS
Charrwind Beasthunters (120)

ENDLESS SPELLS 
The Burning Head (30)
Umbral Spellportal (70)

There was some theorycrafting in another thread, so I thought I'd add it here:

It's a bravery bomb, and something to help abuse it:

• Kharybdis with curse: -3 bravery
  • Dark Riders: -1 bravery
  • General on Griffin: -1 bravery
  • Horroghast: -1/-2 bravery

Optimum: -7 bravery. That would get some units down quite low in bravery. but because battleshock immunity is a thing, we'll have to add another mechanic:

• Crypt flayers from Tenebrous Court: deal 2d6 mortal wounds to units per model, minus their bravery

You can have two units, for 6 flayers, dealing up to 12d6 mortal wounds, for an average of 42. I am unsure whether or not bravery can be negative. If so, it may deal even more under optimal conditions. If it can, imagine a pack of clanrats at -3 bravery, receiving 6d6+9 mortal wounds from a single crypt flayers unit, for 30 damage.

It's quite an investment, but the return might be worth it.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Optimum: -7 bravery. That would get some units down quite low in bravery. but because battleshock immunity is a thing, we'll have to add another mechanic:

• Crypt flayers from Tenebrous Court: deal 2d6 mortal wounds to units per model, minus their bravery

You can have two units, for 6 flayers, dealing up to 12d6 mortal wounds, for an average of 42. I am unsure whether or not bravery can be negative. If so, it may deal even more under optimal conditions. If it can, imagine a pack of clanrats at -3 bravery, receiving 6d6+9 mortal wounds from a single crypt flayers unit, for 30 damage.

Sounds nice... but you should note that the debuffs have requirements. The Problem is the question on how many occasions during the game will you have the "bravery bomb" standing in position and how often will that change a combat result in your favor? 

34 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

I'm curious if Anvilgard would be a bit more popular if it was Ghur for access to Gryph Feather Charm or Ulgu for Doppelganger Cloak.

That's the one thing I dont care for in this book is each city being locked to a specific realm.

7 minutes ago, Osprey07 said:

That's the one thing I dont care for in this book is each city being locked to 2 realms.

Fixed for a more accurate statement!

I honestly think they should have rectonned cities to be in different realms. Whats the point of having 8 realms if Cities of Sigmar only bother with 2?

Greywater somehow being Ghyran doesn't seem to make any thematic sense, other than "we need to burn down all the rainforests"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I suspect that in the future we will get Allegiance abilities for other cities from the other Realms, either in White Dwarf or as supplements to the Cities of Sigmar Battletome.  There are already other Cities in the lore and no doubt more will be added.  These 7 cities were already fixed in their Realms in the lore, so they could hardly change them.   I'm pretty happy with the amount of choice there is in this book.   Aqshy and Ghyran were two of the first Realms that Sigmar launched his counter-attack against Chaos from and where He had the most success- It makes sense that the first cities established since then would be founded in those Realms, even if those places were not ideal.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2019 at 7:23 PM, zilberfrid said:

Flayers actually suffer from distance drop-off in damage, when the target is >3" away from them they get -2 to the roll

Also you can reduce bravery to negative numbers
image.png.e56ced958adb91d17a13054ba37faad7.png

7 minutes ago, XReN said:

Flayers actually suffer from distance drop-off in damage, when the target is >3" away from them they get -2 to the roll

Also you can reduce bravery to negative numbers
image.png.e56ced958adb91d17a13054ba37faad7.png

The first one I knew, I simply forgot to mention it.

The second one makes this at least interesting to look at, or can compensate the former

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2019 at 7:23 PM, kenshin620 said:

I'm curious if Anvilgard would be a bit more popular if it was Ghur for access to Gryph Feather Charm or Ulgu for Doppelganger Cloak.

The issue of AG imo is that it needs to buff some of the basic troops. Having Hydras and Kharibdyss' as battleline might sound nice but those monsters aren't really good, they're okay.
AG would have benefitted of an Allegiance Ability that grants all Corsair units +1 to wound or hit rolls rolls and perhaps a spell or command Trait that grants your monsters D3 attacks, wholly within 12" (similar to the spell of the Arch Regent). 
As it currently stands you cannot buff anything and bravery bombs are very specific and mostly won't do enough in a game (also the new Ossiarchs are immune to battleshock, there's that...).

I think it would already be enough if the Beasthunter Battlallion would simply grant +1 to wound against everything instead of only helping against monsters.
I still play AG and I love the Theme yet you can have a better time with other cities. 😕

Edited by JackStreicher

Arright, now that it's confirmed that battleline behemoths don't count towards the limit, and continuing my trend of creating ridiculous lists,I thought of this:

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Anvilgard (Illicit Dealings: Black Market Bounty)
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Luminark of Hysh With White Battlemage (270)
- Artefact: Drakescale Cloak
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (280)
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
Sorceress (90)
- General
- Trait: Blackfang Crimelord
Sorceress (90)
- City Role: General's Adjutant (Must be 6 wounds or less)
10 x Bleakswords (90)
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
War Hydra (170)
- Drakeblood Curse: Acidic Blood (Anvilgard)
War Hydra (170)
War Hydra (170)
War Hydra (170)
Kharibdyss (170)
- Drakeblood Curse: Fell Gaze (Anvilgard)
Kharibdyss (170)
Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Emerald Lifeswarm (50)

Total: 1970 / 2000

Everything just blobs up and runs forward, hopefully under cogs. Lifeswarm regenerates monsters, luminark boosts their toughness even further. Honored retinue is purely sacrificial so Sorcresses can launch endless spells.

Edited by dekay
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, dekay said:

Arright, now that it's confirmed that battleline behemoths don't count towards the limit, and continuing my trend of creating ridiculous lists,I thought of this:

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Anvilgard (Illicit Dealings: Black Market Bounty)
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Luminark of Hysh With White Battlemage (270)
- Artefact: Drakescale Cloak
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (280)
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
Sorceress (90)
- General
- Trait: Blackfang Crimelord
Sorceress (90)
- City Role: General's Adjutant (Must be 6 wounds or less)
10 x Bleakswords (90)
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
War Hydra (170)
- Drakeblood Curse: Acidic Blood (Anvilgard)
War Hydra (170)
War Hydra (170)
War Hydra (170)
Kharibdyss (170)
- Drakeblood Curse: Fell Gaze (Anvilgard)
Kharibdyss (170)
Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Emerald Lifeswarm (50)

Total: 1970 / 2000

Everything just blobs up and runs forward, hopefully under cogs. Lifeswarm regenerates monsters, luminark boosts their toughness even further. Honored retinue is purely sacrificial so Sorcresses can launch endless spells.

"Ridiculous" means "friendly gaming enviroment"?

A view ideas from my side.:
.) You are very weak on the objective side. Due to your low model count it will be easy for the enemy to snack the objectives away from your control. This is the biggest issue with the list

.) Sorceress: I really fell in love with the vitriolic spray. It is the greatest thing about anvilguard in my opinion

.) You wont need the Chronomatic Cogs. The hydra already have a charge bonus with the lashing

.) The list doesnt bring enough mortal wounds in my opinion

.) I think you will want to bring fast objective grabbers. Try Dark Riders or allied DoK Khinerai

hopefully I could give you some inputs. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 9:22 PM, Palooka said:

Is it worth to pick Darkshards to go along a Sorceress on foot? Since Darkshards seem to be the only unit to benefit from Sorceress command ability

U mean Run/Charge/Shoot? Black Guard and Executioners befenit from it too.

++ *Old* *Pitched Battle (1,000)* (Order - Cities of Sigmar) [960pts] ++

+ Leader +

Assassin [80pts]: 2. Venomfang Blade

Black Ark Fleetmaster [60pts]: 1. Blackfang Crimelord, 1. Drakescale Cloak, General

Sorceress [90pts]: 3. Vitriolic Spray

-Adjutant

+ Battleline +

Black Ark Corsairs [240pts]: 3x 10 Black Ark Corsairs, Honoured Retinue, Hornblower, Standard Bearer, Wicked Cutlass

Kharibdyss [170pts]

- Acidic Blood (Drakenbloodcurse)

Kharibdyss [170pts]

- Jutting Bones (Drakenbloodcurse)

Scourgerunner Chariots [150pts]: 3x Scourgerunner Chariot

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance
. Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar: Anvilgard

++ Total: [960pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

+ Endlessspell Geminids 40 pts

1000/1000 pts

------------------------------------------------------

Assassin hides in the Cosairs, Kharybdisses Support the Cosairs or grab mission-targets. The Chariots hunt down monsters or other beefy stuff. Assassin comes out for leaders or other beefy stuff.

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently re-basing all my old Dark Aelf models onto rounds and although they are Darkling Covens, I am drawn to Anvilguard for the feel of the city.  I will be adding a sprinkling of other Aelves, mainly Wanderers.

My question is; has anyone considered or used a Flamespyre Phoenix with the Drakescale Cloak.  On paper, it seems pretty tanky with the threat of it coming back to life when it dies - any thoughts much appreciated.  

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:32 PM, Aelfric said:

My question is; has anyone considered or used a Flamespyre Phoenix with the Drakescale Cloak.  On paper, it seems pretty tanky with the threat of it coming back to life when it dies - any thoughts much appreciated.  

I hadn't thought of that but I believe those buffs would stack. That would be comically tanky. I'd be tempted to take the Frost Heart Phoenix for the extra damage and Blizzard Aura. The resurrection might be wasted since it probably would never die once and I hate single all important dice rolls.

1 hour ago, Forrix said:

I hadn't thought of that but I believe those buffs would stack. That would be comically tanky. I'd be tempted to take the Frost Heart Phoenix for the extra damage and Blizzard Aura. The resurrection might be wasted since it probably would never die once and I hate single all important dice rolls.

Yea, the Frostheart would be just as good - slightly more attacks and tankier, but I do like the idea of dropping mortal wounds on the flyover.  Also, the thought of it coming back after soaking up a lot of damage does present a quandary for your opponent.  Whichever takes your fancy really.  I would happily tarpit 40 Mortek Guard and their Harvesters with either of them (not sure about Fireslayers though :) ).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, i created a new Anvilgard List. In fact without any Cosairs and Fleetmasters. I wanted something which ist more like Dark Elves from the past. 

The Idea ist to spamm so many mortal wounds aß possible. For this reason i maxed out the two Black Dragons with either an artefact and a drakenblood Curse. One of the Dreadlords swings an Pair of Blades to reroll 1's so geht more Chance to proc 6es.

I know, Executioners got really nerved hard, but aß horde they become really cheap (110 points per Model wtf).

Would Like to know what you think ;)

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Order - Cities of Sigmar) [1,980pts] ++

+ Leader +

Dreadlord on Black Dragon [300pts]: 1. Acidic Blood, 3. Asphyxica Censer, Exile Blade and Tyrant Shield

Dreadlord on Black Dragon [300pts]: 2. Jutting Bones, 2. Venomfang Blade, Pair of Exile Blades

Sorceress [90pts]: 1. Blackfang Crimelord, 2. Shadow Daggers, General

Sorceress [90pts]: 3. Vitriolic Spray, General's Adjunct

+ Battleline +

Black Guard [280pts]: 2x 10 Black Guard

Darkshards [200pts]: 2x 10 Darkshards, Honoured Retinue

Executioners [330pts]: 3x 10 Executioners, Drummers, Standard Bearer

War Hydra [170pts]

+ Other +

Scourgerunner Chariots [150pts]: 3x Scourgerunner Chariot

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance
. Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar: Anvilgard

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

+ Malign Sorcery +

Endless Spell: Umbral Spellportal [70pts]

++ Total: [1,980pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

8 hours ago, Greed said:

Hey guys, i created a new Anvilgard List. In fact without any Cosairs and Fleetmasters. I wanted something which ist more like Dark Elves from the past. 

The Idea ist to spamm so many mortal wounds aß possible. For this reason i maxed out the two Black Dragons with either an artefact and a drakenblood Curse. One of the Dreadlords swings an Pair of Blades to reroll 1's so geht more Chance to proc 6es.

I know, Executioners got really nerved hard, but aß horde they become really cheap (110 points per Model wtf).

Would Like to know what you think ;)

Dreadlord on Black Dragon [300pts]: 1. Acidic Blood, 3. Asphyxica Censer, Exile Blade and Tyrant Shield

Dreadlord on Black Dragon [300pts]: 2. Jutting Bones, 2. Venomfang Blade, Pair of Exile Blades

I think it is an interesting list, those dragons are going to be scary. I never really put much consideration into Executioners, they certainly are cheap with horde discount, but they are going to need the Anvilgard command ability to avoid some very rough battle shock phases.

This is just a thought, and it would require some changes to your list.  I know you tried to avoid them, but if you exchanged the Hydra for a Kharibdyss and replaced something else for three 10 man screening  units of Corsairs and a Fleetmaster you could qualify for the Anvilgard battalion. I know the bonus to kill monsters isn't particularly strong, but is is a  bonus,  and it makes the chariots particularly nasty against monsters. It would also reduce your number of drops by 2 or 3. But most importantly it gives you most out of the Anvilgard alligence ability, because for every battalion  you get one command point, one artifact and one Bloodcurse.

So by using the battalion, you could have two artifacts and two curses, along with Hidden Agents for a total of 2 +1d3 command points in the first turn! Along with  the adjudants ability to generate extra CP, you are going to have an average of about 11 CP every game.

I absolute know what you mean but just for the drop reduse and that +1 against monsters that 420 Points are just to much, because they won't do a ******, exept the Kharybdisse maybe. I thougt about to take 30-40 in one Meatball. But this 3 x 10 is just waste in my eyes.