Lets Chat: Legions of Nagash

S133arcanite

I was considering this list:

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament Leaders

Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320) - General

Necromancer (110)

Necromancer (110)

Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440) - Deathlance

Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade (120)

Units

10 x Dire Wolves (120)

40 x Skeleton Warriors (280) -Ancient Spears

10 x Skeleton Warriors (80) -Ancient Blades

2 x Morghast Harbingers (220) -Halberd

Behemoths

Mortis Engine (180)

Total: 1980 / 2000 Allies: 0 / 400 Leaders: 5/6 Battlelines: 4 (3+) Behemoths: 3/4 Artillery: 0/4 Wounds: 134

Thoughts? :)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Kugane said:

I was considering this list:

Necromancer (110)

Necromancer (110)

Units

10 x Dire Wolves (120)

10 x Skeleton Warriors (80) -Ancient Blades

Behemoths

Mortis Engine (180)

Total: 1980 / 2000 Allies: 0 / 400 Leaders: 5/6 Battlelines: 4 (3+) Behemoths: 3/4 Artillery: 0/4 Wounds: 134

Thoughts? :)

No battalion? Why take the Wight King?

3 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

No battalion? Why take the Wight King?

Completely forgot about the battalion, the wight king would pretty much be there to plant its banner. Adjusting the list now

Necromancer (110)

Necromancer (110)

Units

5 x Dire Wolves (60)

5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Behemoths

Mortis Engine (180)

Battalion

Lords of Sacrament (70)

Total: 1970 / 2000 Allies: 0 / 400 Leaders: 5/6 Battlelines: 4 (3+) Behemoths: 3/4 Artillery: 0/4 Wounds: 134

I would also like to incorporate a balewind vortex, so will most likely drop the Wight King in favour of a balewind.

27 minutes ago, Kugane said:

Completely forgot about the battalion, the wight king would pretty much be there to plant its banner. Adjusting the list now

You might want to check the updated warscroll for the Wight King, the banner option was dropped when Legions of Nagash came out (sorry to steal the jam out your donut on that)

2 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

You might want to check the updated warscroll for the Wight King, the banner option was dropped when Legions of Nagash came out (sorry to steal the jam out your donut on that)

Sigh, I wish that Azyr app would be up to date for once. Well then the wight king serves no purpose anymore. I'll modify the list. Regardless thank you for the info! :) Re-adjusted the list to:

Allegiance: Death Leaders

Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)

Necromancer (110)

Necromancer (110)

Units

5 x Dire Wolves (60)

5 x Dire Wolves (60)

2 x Morghast Harbingers (220) -Halberds 

Battalions

Lords of Sacrament (70)

Scenery

Balewind Vortex (100)

Total: 1990 / 2000 Allies: 0 / 400 Leaders: 4/6 Battlelines: 5 (3+) Behemoths: 2/4 Artillery: 0/4 Wounds: 119

1 minute ago, Kugane said:

Sigh, I wish that Azyr app would be up to date for once. Well then the wight king serves no purpose anymore. I'll modify the list.

I think it is Up to date. But you have to delete the warscroll and download it again. I did it for all death warscroll.

2 minutes ago, Kugane said:

Sigh, I wish that Azyr app would be up to date for once. Well then the wight king serves no purpose anymore. I'll modify the list.

Must be honest and say that I rarely use Azyr anymore, generally stick with the website and warscroll builder.  The Wight King is a relatively solid general if you're running a small army with a 3+ save, 2 Deathly Invocation rolls and good command ability - although 20 points more does net you a Vampire Lord which is a significantly more solid option

7 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Must be honest and say that I rarely use Azyr anymore, generally stick with the website and warscroll builder.  The Wight King is a relatively solid general if you're running a small army with a 3+ save, 2 Deathly Invocation rolls and good command ability - although 20 points more does net you a Vampire Lord which is a significantly more solid option

I think overal I would want Arkhan to be the general regardless, so I guess my wight king will just become the skeleton champion in my unit from now on.

12 hours ago, Gumbalina said:

I love the idea of a bravery bomb list but I cannot see it doing to much in the long run.   Biggest weakness that style of list will be is facing off against another death player.  The mortis engines turn from amazing to a complete hinderance.   The spell modifier works purely on grand alliance keyword so any death characters friend or foe will get the buff. Same as the boom ability will only heal the enemy army the same as yours.    If your planning a possible tournament with such a list then be very wary of those limitations.  

True; Although to be fair, I have never played against another Death player during the entire time I have played AoS, so the thought never really occured to me, lol. That would be a really big counter, considering Deaths strong bravery, and immunity to my own MW output.

10 hours ago, RaritanAnon said:

I like it but you're forgetting the Terrorgheist. He has the strongest bravery based attack in the game. It may also behoove you to invest in some chunkier battleline like 40 skellies, and take less banshees, maybe. They have the scream, but theyre kinda ****** in combat with only one attack. I like mortis engines, but I don't think they're a thing that works well being spammed.

Eh, like I said, the Terrorgheist to me is more along the lines of an alternative, rather than simply being better. Unlike the Mortis Engine, it doesn't have a guranteed healing ability, and it cant target as many units with its Shriek. Meanwhile, the Mortis Engines are bombs of sort; they hit each and every unit within 9". In my opinion, that is far more valuable than decimating a single unit, because you can practically hit so many units, and deal so many MW, again and again.

Not exactly a fan of Skeletons, unless I make a point to focus on them, and support them. The point of the battleline troops is simply to tie up, and inflict the bravery debuffs. For example, a full volley of screams when coupled with the Reliquaries and Banshee's, you'll easily blast down almost any unit, especially when paired with Bravery Debuffs. Even Stormcast will chafe under that big a debuff, and that many MW.

But good catch on the Banshee's mobility, that may play a factor in how much ranged damaged they can actually do. Like I said, this sort of a prototype list, trying to play around with bravery in general.

8 hours ago, Kugane said:

Sigh, I wish that Azyr app would be up to date for once. Well then the wight king serves no purpose anymore. I'll modify the list. Regardless thank you for the info! :) Re-adjusted the list to:

Allegiance: Death Leaders

Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)

Necromancer (110)

Necromancer (110)

Units

5 x Dire Wolves (60)

5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Battalions

Lords of Sacrament (70)

Scenery

Balewind Vortex (100)

Total: 1990 / 2000 Allies: 0 / 400 Leaders: 4/6 Battlelines: 5 (3+) Behemoths: 2/4 Artillery: 0/4 Wounds: 119

you miss the mortis for the batalion if you want to play morghast so badly why not go fisrt cohort or something?

On 2018-02-20 at 10:22 PM, Kimbo said:

Hi! This is what i have so far...how would you pump it up to 2k? All feedback and additions with an explenation would be great! 

Allegiance: Death
Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800)
Necromancer (110)
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Blades
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades
- Ancient Blades
2 x Morghast Archai (220)
- Spirit Swords
The First Cohort (160)

Total: 1730 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 93

Anyone? ??

Getting my Legion of Sacrament up and going.  I needed a Mortis Engine.  Instead of buying a new kit I threw an old Screaming Skull Catapult conversion (my TK rest in peace) together with some leftover bits and boom Mortis Engine.  Still needs to have the painting finished but I am digging the look.

2018-02-22 15.58.44.jpg

2018-02-22 15.59.20.jpg

22 hours ago, ledha said:

Haha, i came here to another list examination. Let's give them some work ! 

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash

Leaders
Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800) - General - Lores of the Dead Spell 1 : Vile Transference (Vampires) - Lores of the Dead Spell 2 : Fading Vigour (Deathmages) - Lores of the Dead Spell 3 : Amaranthine Orb (Vampires)
Necromancer (110) - Artefact :  Ossific Diadem  - Lore of the Deathmages : Overwhelming Dread
Units
2 x Morghast Archai (220) -Spirit Halberds
5 x Black Knights (120)

Battalions
The First Cohort (160)
Total: 1970 / 2000 
Allies: 0 / 400
Leaders: 2/6    Battlelines: 3 (3+)    Behemoths: 1/4    Artillery: 0/4
Wounds: 123

A simple list, really. Two units of 40 skeletons, backed by Nagash and a Necromancer as well as the gravesite + immunity to battleshock will be hard to remove for everyone and give a good board presence. The necromancer is here to taking the ossific diadem, giving another invulnerable save to the skellies, as well as giving two spells to nagash, the van hell dance making the skellies able to do a good chunk of damage in melee.

The real "hammer" here is, of course, Nagash and his morghast, who hit hard enough to kill everything that the skellies can't. The amaranthine Orb give me a offensive spell (sometime, you just need mortal wound), and the fading vigour as well as the overwhelming dread are nasty debuff. The vile transference can be used to heal nagash or the Morghast, so they should be safe enough, except heavy focused fire.

The black knight are here because i needed a third unit in the first cohort.

What do you think of this list ?

I like this list. I think I saw this exact list on the Honest Wargamer stream yesterday. Maybe it will struggle on Scorched Earth, because it has so few pieces. But other than that, it looks solid.

I just cooked up this list before going to sleep since I wanted to try and make use of the +1 save to deathrattle in Legion of Night:

Vampire Lord - 140 (General)

Flying Horror, General, Vial of Pure Blood, Merciless Hunter

Amethystine Pinions

Wight King w/ Blade - 120

Necromancer - 110

Shard of Night

Overwhelming Dread

----

30 Grave Guard  w/ great weapons (420)

3 x 10 Skeleton Warriors (240)

5 Black Knights (120)

2 x 2 Morghast Harbingers w/ Halberds (440)

---

Terrorgheist (300)

--

Deathmarch (110)

This comes to 2000 points exactly. The other option (and probably the better one) leaves me with 60 points to spare and consists of 10 grave guard, 2 units of 10 skeletons and one of 40. Overall both lists are 6 drops with 3 of them being in ambush and the possibility of having some skellies on graves being summoned from behind by the vamp lord. They also benefit from the +1 save, giving the wight king a 2+ for example. Anyways, it's just an idea for now but I thought I'd share so I can hear your thoughts. I'm tired right now so this may not be even good hahah :D 

Edited to add Deathmarch because sleepy me forgot to include the battalion

10 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Anyone? ??

A second necromancer to spread hero coverage, or instead, a vampire lord so that you get access to the other lore.

Remaining points with grave guard or black nights. You could instead bump up the skells to larger units, but skells are best in 10s or 40s.

2 hours ago, smucreo said:

Yeah but then I don't fit the battalion requirements... I don't think the battalion is that worth it but the point of the list was to try to use it to combine with the extra save and have resilient and fast moving skellies. 

Ah, you did not have the batallion listed in the actual list, so I did not piece that together.

I am of the opinion that Legion of Night and Death March work against each other. Bait wants you to keep your skeletons camping on objectives in your territory (as they lose the save when they leave). DM wants you to have your skeletons to be able to match pace with enemy units and more quickly move up the field to intercept them, or get a horde on a mid field objective (though Gravesites are probably better for that). I don't think they know how to share.

7 hours ago, Mortarch said:

A second necromancer to spread hero coverage, or instead, a vampire lord so that you get access to the other lore.

Remaining points with grave guard or black nights. You could instead bump up the skells to larger units, but skells are best in 10s or 40s.

Something like? 

Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)
5 x Black Knights (120)
5 x Black Knights (120)
The First Cohort (160)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 108

would anyone say that this looks good? On pappr that is? How would you (anyone please share the experience) change it slightly?

thanks in advance 

26 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Something like? 

Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)
5 x Black Knights (120)
5 x Black Knights (120)
The First Cohort (160)

would anyone say that this looks good? On pappr that is? How would you (anyone please share the experience) change it slightly?

thanks in advance 

It’s beautiful. :D 

I saw your original list and thought, hey, just what I thought could be cool. I don’t play Death so far and currently I am thinking of building a list that I could build up to slowly. Here is what I came up with:

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash
Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead(800)
Necromancer (110)
Vampire Lord (140)
- Mount: Flying Horror
- Ancient Spears
- Ancient Blades
- Ancient Blades
- Spirit Halberds
The First Cohort (160)
Balewind Vortex (100)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Wounds: 98

I use a necro and vampire lord to have access to more spells. And most imprtantly because the Duality of Death mission will force you to have more heroes than just a squishy necro, I guess. The vampire lord offers a cheap, mobile hero that could be quite useful in that mission.

I tried to get around 40 skeletons (I have not much time for building and painting), but I fear they are just, well, almost invaluable to death armies. If anyone has an idea and the confidence to suggest otherwise, I’d really apprieciate it.

I also built a list with Dire Wolves somehow, I just cannot figure out how anymore. I think I reduce the skeletons to 30. Dire Wolves might be nice summoned late game to catch an objective I thought. Or to just distract and hinder the opponent where needed.

One question: what do you think about Nagash’s resilience in such a list? He will be a bullet magnet (or arrow magnet rather), but I think there is not much out there that can really harm him...

20 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Something like? 

Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)
5 x Black Knights (120)
5 x Black Knights (120)
The First Cohort (160)

thanks in advance 

Hey I played the following last week

Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)
20 x Skeleton Warriors (160)

20 x Skeleton Warriors (160)
The First Cohort (160)

I know running skele in 20 isn't ideal but it's all i had. My other list I was thinking of was two blocks 40, black knight and one necro. 

I played total conquest. Nagash was a beast, took out and debuffed alot of units. The skele did their job and were a tarpit regening a crazy amount.

Was playing against SCE. Can go into more detail if needed when I have more time :)

Hi Guy,
I just got toasted by Lord Kroak  Comet's Call spell and Celestial Deliverance on Balewind, I'm using Sacrament battalion but cannot get within range to unbind fast enough before Kroak just sniped all my Necromancer and Vampire lord off the board with Comet's Call. (even if I get close enough if I failed to unbind Celestial Deliverance it would still be very devastaed to my army) and if he get double turn then all of my heros are done for. 

Undead Minions from necromancers for 4+ cannot save both of them much.

He also using 30 skinks to screen Kroak and Thunderquake starhost with all the beast to just shoot my Arkhan off the board very easily.

Do you guy have any experienced on facing Lord Kroak or any suggestion to deal with his magic or this kind of list?

BTW this is my list
Lord of Sacrament batalion with 40k skeletons, 2 units of 5 Wolfs and 2 units of Morghast

Thank you

kroak.jpg

Archived