Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

2 hours ago, Killax said:

What is nice is that the GUO is ideal for magnetizing:

Yeah! You can say that twice. As of right now I am totally puzzled about which one to build. Rotigus can give nurgle some mean magic support not often being unbinded. But having the bell can really give some serious movement, especially if combined with other boosts, such as the wheel, trees, and command abilities. Your army might get very flexible all of a sudden. Maybe mixing Rotigus with the eguo couls pack a mean punch. But thats 800 something worth of unclean ones... gah... so many nice options. At least with my LOC it was obvious what to pick.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, shadowgra said:

I think that a caster/buffer guo will be waaay stronger than a cc version.

1) flail and massive bilesword scale negatively with damage taken. Bell+sword is not

2) being able to almost double the speed of plaguebearers is incredibly strong

3) a +1 to cast is nothing to sneeze at considering the new lore and the possibility of casting MS with 5+.

Probably when you hit the last few wounds you will regret to choose the flail/bilesword since with not many wounds remaining they are possibly even less effective than bell+sword and without All the benefits

You may be right, but there's still the better damage output with the massive sword and flail..... and remember, he gets wounds back every turn.

Rotigus looks really good, his magic could really be a sniping machine if he's properly set up. Casting value of 7 means he'll be casting it around 50% of the time, and without wounds the damage output averages to about 3 to 4 units hit by 2 mortal wounds. I can imagine setting him up and not moving him almost at all, and if the enemy charges him he heals d3 wounds each turn, has a very decent melee profile, good save and a 5++ on top of that, plus the enemy will take some mortal wounds by charging him. 

Really good "artillery" piece with options to defend itself if charged, I love it.

For the GUO I can't see why you would ever take the Flail over the Bileblade; it doesn't scale down with damage taken and it offers a +1 to cast when needed. Slap it the Massive Bilesword and you have a monster in melee, and with the tree and the +2 move in the wheel of corruption the bell may not even be needed.

I honestly don't like Horticulous that much, his ability to plant an extra tree is only at 3'', which is nothing but situational imo. With proper planning I feel you could plant the first tree in a position good enough to exploit without needing another one that close to your army. We'll see though.

The scrivener can be nice, I guess it depends on the points. I'd consider it a situational pick if you have the army and the extra points.

Confirmed the harbinger of decay didn't change.

I am so happy by that.

Btw: massive nerf to epidemius, 21 tally now generates +1 corruption points per turn. And +20 points

Plaguebearers+20 ... Lol just say take 30 or nothing.

Rotbringer lore is kinda cool. I would gladly take the blades of putrefaction, and i think that even the gift of contagion is pretty strong. The rancid visitations instead imho has place only on the glottkin

Rotbringers are looking really good. Reduced points and increased wounds on Blight Kings, the tree allowing them to run and charge, a cool lore, the battalions look like nice options... all in all really nice! 

The trees are nothing that special though, cool but for now I'd only run one.

17 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

I am so happy by that.

Btw: massive nerf to epidemius, 21 tally now generates +1 corruption points per turn. And +20 points

Rotbringer lore is kinda cool. I would gladly take the blades of putrefaction, and i think that even the gift of contagion is pretty strong. The rancid visitations instead imho has place only on the glottkin

The rancid on glottkin charged into  a large unit could be devastating.

27 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

BALLS

He was the linchpin of my force. That's ******. 

And i have 60 pleaguebearers, so huge point increase there...

28 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

Still sounds like good news, expected news and again expected news. Don't ask why but all Daemons currently suffer from, they are extremely expensive for 10 and suddenly a deal at 30. It's kind of a strange thing GH2017 works with. Not that it really matters too much because 30 was the way to go anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Xasz said:

Yes, no free summons.

And this is where it gets interesting. Yes, free summons, free Trees.

But hey some seem so content on only getting 1 or 2 that they might miss the whole concept of spamming the field with them and absolutely board control your opponent. In addition to blocking LoS to smaller characters.

Just now, Xasz said:

Yes, no free summons.

Thanks. I went back and saw that bit. Makes it a bit harder to summon in matched play. Not that big of a deal as far as I'm concerned. I do most of my summoning shenanigans with my Tzeentch force anyway. I think I'm starting to see a table top with several trees on it though.

It may not be popular opinion but I'm glad epidemius got nerfed. I felt too much that he was must-have character in basically every nurgle army. Now with nerfs, he is still solid addition, but no longer I feel like idiot for not wanting to take him (never liked his model).

Also some people here are disappointed with trees and to that I'll say this: what did you expect? This is no sylvaneth army, this army doesn't revolve around those trees and thank the gods for that. I was afraid that those trees would be too powerfull and it would be too easy to fill the board with them but thankfully that's not the case.

3 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

Contagion points to summon a guy  who would be more useful on the field helping you kill stuff, Rather than 3 turns into a game when you get enough points and might not even be able to summon him due to the restrictions placed upon the trees. 

No I'm not fussed about that.

Any hero or tree can do the summon and the sumon is at end of move phase

Well one use for the trees is as road blockers for large monsters and units at small passages. They may pass by going over or at best close to it thus risking wounds. 

People must realize how many sources of mortal wounds that we have at hand. Suitable for nurgle our forces will kill the enemy not with one brute strike but rather slowly with thousands of needles. 

I think the trees are going to have a fairly limited use seeing as they still have to be 9" away from enemy units when summoned so placing several of them around objectives is going to be difficult. The mortal wound within 1" on a 4+ is pretty much useless and easily avoidable.

8 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

It does.

Don't you think they might change that ?

Honestly, now that the regular summoning system is removed (for Nurgle), this one is very limited (useless).

And how much do you pay for 1 Nurgling or 5 Plaguebearers ? Full reinforcement points ? That'd be a joke. 

1 hour ago, Killax said:

Q: Do Gnarlmaws cost points and how much if they do?

A: Free

Well, based on this correction, summoning trees will always be free - while summoning anything else will cost additonal reinforcement points.

Guess this means I'll need 1 tree to start with, then 1 or 2 more that I can summon for free throughout the game? - Looking at the rules, you gain contagion points fairly quick, and having an extra free tree to place ahead of your path on turn 2 will be useful for charging.

17 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

Well i am kinda happy with that. Free summoning would have been top strong

As someone who played a narrative campaign slow grow using tzeentch, it really is.

Summoning anything with corruption points will cost points in matched play. Trees do still require you to pay a points cost, as well as a corruption cost. The catch is the trees cost 0 points for us. Ergo, spam trees. I play against enough sylvaneth to appreciate simply the mental barrier that will place on my opponents. Maybe the mortal wounds output isn't fantastic. But if it scares people into spending additional inches avoiding them, that helps balance the slowness of nurgle.

Archived