New Death Models!

Hayday

What do you guys make of the new release?

Personally, I think they look fantastic and I can't wait to see more. Already considering conversions.

Puts my mind at rest as I'm in the process of painting 90 skeletons...

Just said on the rumour thread - Wight King conversion material with the champion!  Just needs a banner and new head and it's all peachy!

Quite like them, they add a really nice dynamic feel what's normally a quite static unit.  The scythe model is lovely - a cross between a cairne wraith and skeleton :) 

And there was much rejoicing...(yaaaaaaayyy).

Seriously this is great. I'm glad GW has delivered on the death end of things.

I'm curious if these are heroes or elite units or simply replacing the skeleton warriors.

But those scythes! There's got to be something new there.

And here's hoping for future artillery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@RuneBrush My thoughts exactly! I'm actually just about to convert my curent Wight King model but I'd love to have a good with this one.

@Bradifer I was wondering that too. I'm wondering if it will be a new elite unit? Potentially faster or more killy. The aesthetic is actually not too dissimilar from the current skeleton models, so I'm thinking they won't out right replace them.

They are not going to replace them these skeletons match the aesthetic of the ones we already have GW said shade spire models are hero characters. Still I think this video is a confirmation of the direction of death in my opinion since they wanted undead to be grim and gothic for AOS the VC line matches this.

Hence they kept them to make the bulk of the undead grand alliance.

I don't think we can read too much into the direction of Death as a whole.  The direction of Deathrattle perhaps, but I fully expect to see the Grand Alliance "fleshed" out in some new directions in addition to new skeletons (as awesome as they look).

Eh, I really like them. They'll make nice Unit Champions if nothing else, though I agree that the one which appears to be a leader would make a great basis for a Wight King with Infernal Standard.

I'll definitely be picking them up. People seem to be missing that these are for a new system, not explicitly for AoS. As far as GW have revealed so far, it appears to be their answer to X-Wing in a way.

21 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

Actually i believe these guys will be getting a warscroll

I believe so as well. There was something in the flavor text about these models looking at home next to current skeleton warriors, so I'm thinking you're right, and late this year we'll get Sepulchural Guard as an AoS warscroll.

Also, the skeleton warriors box set  is out of stock on both the UK and US sites. I'm hoping for round bases and 20 models in the box. Glad I waited to expand my Death forces...

some very nice looking skeletons.  Bit disappointed that they seem to be just that - just skeletons, when we already have decent skeleton models, but whatever, first new undead models since the end times, so can't really complain that hard.

18 minutes ago, TerrorPenguin said:

So, am I right in thinking these won't be out until shadespire comes out? I.e end of the year?

I think so. I thought the video or flavor text said Late 2017, so at best the final quarter of the year.

1 minute ago, Sception said:

some very nice looking skeletons.  Bit disappointed that they seem to be just that - just skeletons, when we already have decent skeleton models, but whatever, first new undead models since the end times, so can't really complain that hard.

I'm actually glad that they are a bit generic - makes them match with everything currently Deathrattle. They look great but still have that classic Medieval Undead look that drew me to the faction in the first place.

It's not the style I'm objecting to, just... we already have a wight king.  Couldn't we have gotten a skeletal mage as the boss?  And we already have skeletons in this style with swords and shields, and some with great weapons if you count the grave guard.  Would some archers have been too much to ask?

These are nice models, but when you really get down to it these are all models we already have.

2 hours ago, Sception said:

It's not the style I'm objecting to, just... we already have a wight king.  Couldn't we have gotten a skeletal mage as the boss?  And we already have skeletons in this style with swords and shields, and some with great weapons if you count the grave guard.  Would some archers have been too much to ask?

These are nice models, but when you really get down to it these are all models we already have.

I doubt a wizard or archer would fit in Shadespire. The game is built around melee combat (at least from the demo I took place in), so one force having ranged options would make balance all but impossible.

The models themselves may seem redundant, but they're not primarily for AoS, they're for Shadespire. The Stormcast and Bloodbound are just fancy versions of Liberators and Bloodreavers (aka basic dudes), so it stands to reason the Deathrattle ones would be as well.

52 minutes ago, Sete said:

Skeleton warriors are sold out and no longer available UK store.

Could a reboxing be on the way? Or a new line?

Reboxing the normal skeleton warriors match the aesthetic of the the new ones and GW note they are the same scale as skeleton warriors they did something similar to the necromancer beforehand.

Plus they are plastic and quite modular as well.

Archived