What is your MOST favorite faction and why?

Dez

I started wargaming only recently, and it took me a bit to warm up to AoS aesthetics. Now I do like some, including Khorne, Dwarfs, Sylvaneth and others. But there is one army that I instantly liked and picked without knowing anything about them, just by the looks because hell yeah Dinosaurs!  Seraphon for me. :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me as a whole it's greenskins. I just like the craziness, the ramshackle constructions and violence. Though I like to think there is more to them than that [emoji12] purely aos though I think disciples of tzeentch, their insidiousness and the fluff in the book was fantastic.

I've been in this hobby going on a quarter of a century and these are the books that started it all for me. I've dabbled in every other army from the World That Was and picked up the odd Stormcast and Fyreslayer but  I always keep coming back to Chaos:

15607_sm-Artwork%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Copyrig

41MJbfLFirL._SL500_SY344_BO1,204,203,200

Long before Inq28, Path to Glory encouraged you to come up with unique characters and models. D1000 mutations tables which led to heroes with brightly patterned skin, flaming skull head and uncontrollable flatulence. I've had so much fun down the years creating warbands and following characters down the road to spawndom or daemonhood.

I think one of the reasons I've stuck with chaos for so long is the opportunity to really mix things up within a collection. Whilst in WFB someone may have got sick of applying the same colour scheme to yet another unit of high elves or empire state troops, with chaos you have always been able to branch out to add daemons, marauders, different warrior bands, beastmen and wierd and wonderful champions.

Then there's the background of each character. Even in the World that Was, chaos heroes can come from anywhere. Archaon was a Templar of Sigmar, whilst the previous Everchosen was a Kul chieftain from the northern wastes. Your sorcerer could be a disenchanted member of the colleges of magic who dabbled in dark magic, a tribal soothsayer or a hedge warlock. I've always loved creating background stories for my armies and Chaos gives by far the best canvas - what set these individuals down the path to darkness?

Most of all though I love the unlimited potential for conversion. Any model is a chaos model if you try hard enough. My army now contains old lead champions of chaos from the 80s, aelvan slaaneshi cultists, dwarf warriors converted into big hatted Chaos Dwarfs from back when we thought they were gone for good and a plethora of kitbashed units and champions built using parts from Stormcasts, empire, elves, skaven and Bretonians.

Last but not least, whilst other armies have changed aesthetically and in scale to the extent that you can no longer really use them alongside the newer models, with Chaos it all just adds to the variety! Yes your mighty champions of old may suffer a demotion when they no longer look the part, but the same models I was setting up in the mid nineties still take to the field next to my wrathmongers and tzaangors.

For me it has definitely been dark aelves. They were my first army when I started WFB years ago and I still love the pirate/ corsair style that they have. I would love to see them get taken further into that direction while maintaining their ruthless aelven grace. I also find that as my love of the hobby grows after reigniting it with AOS that I am having a hard time finding a faction I do not like. Each new one entices me and each old one I revisit makes me excited for what they may be released as this time around.

1 minute ago, AAL said:

For me it has definitely been dark aelves. They were my first army when I started WFB years ago and I still love the pirate/ corsair style that they have. I would love to see them get taken further into that direction while maintaining their ruthless aelven grace. I also find that as my love of the hobby grows after reigniting it with AOS that I am having a hard time finding a faction I do not like. Each new one entices me and each old one I revisit makes me excited for what they may be released as this time around.

If you haven't yet, read City of Secrets. They get a little help from the Dark Elves and it's really cool!

I'm in a weird place at the moment with AoS where no faction is really grabbing me entirely.
Mostly I prefer low fantasy stuff and as most of it is going in the other direction I'm finding myself left out in the cold.
I love all the new models and the lore, and I think GW are doing an amazing job, I am just trying to figure out where I fit into it all.

To paint I love nurgle the most, they are really forgiving but also seem to amplify whatever you do.

The army I like the most aesthetically is chaos dwarves, but as much as I do like them they are out of my price range.

At the minute I am waiting to see the new dwarves. Love the new models and the lore behind them however I am in two minds if I want to collect them.

Bit of a rant but the short version is I like all of AoS, some bits more than others, however as I'm looking for a new army nothing seems to be grabbing my attention

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dark Elves always and forever haha 

Despite not picking them up when I came back to the hobby, I always loved how the looked and they're twisted nature. 

It all started with this army book for me, I had previous armies but only ever finished painting the elves as I was so into them. 

I can't wait to see what happens to them in AOS. 

DarkElvesArmiesBookWarhammerFant-1.jpg

13 minutes ago, Mohojoe said:

The army I like the most aesthetically is chaos dwarves, but as much as I do like them they are out of my price range.

You could fill out a CD army with Black Orcs...fits the background.   "Chaos Warriors" in a mixed Chaos allegiance list.  The unit champions could be stunties w/ whips.  Some war machines, a couple of CD characters.  Might look pretty cool, too.

I like trees, forests, folklore, nature-spirits and Guillermo del Toro. I wrote my MA dissertation on Anglo-Saxon perceptions of landscapes. I like horror, especially nature based horror. And I like animals.

So, quite naturally, Sylvaneth are my thing.

But, my very first love when I was 10 were the Dwarfs.

1 minute ago, Nick in York said:

I like trees, forests, folklore, nature-spirits and Guillermo del Toro. I wrote my MA dissertation on Anglo-Saxon perceptions of landscapes. I like horror, especially nature based horror. And I like animals.

So, quite naturally, Sylvaneth are my thing.

But, my very first love when I was 10 were the Dwarfs.

I was hoping you'd say Sigmari....Stormcast :)

Has to be the Beastclaw Raiders!

I've loved monster minis since my early days in the hobby, and Ogres have been a big part of Warhammer for me since setting up the Stronghold 13 years ago. Ogors mounted on big monsters is an amazing mix really, and I was pretty impressed with how GW gave what used to be Ogre Kingdoms units a great new spin with some very unique and much more interesting fluff. They're fantastically imposing minis on the tabletop, and the low model count suits me too! :D

48 minutes ago, Dez said:

If you haven't yet, read City of Secrets. They get a little help from the Dark Elves and it's really cool!

I read it right away and that aelf captain was exactly what I wanted. It was the first GW book I've read and i cannot wait till they make more of an appearance. I wish they were a bit cheaper though. 

s-l225.jpg

I first began playing Warhammer Fantasy Battle in 1991 or 1992 (4th Edition) using the Wood Elves... But I was always fascinated with the mentions of the other human nations of the Old World. My local hobby shop didn't stock any of the long out of production 1st thru 3rd Edition Citadel Miniatures, but the owner indulged me and gave me a big stack of prior years' catalogues. I was quickly obsessed with the Bretonnians.

Soon enough, 1996 brought the release of 5th Edition WHFB (with plastic Bretonnians in the box!) and my favorite Armybook ever. 

Pour le roi, le graal, et la dame!

Zut alors! 

My personal favourite army is Death atm, unsurprisingly. I never actually liked WFB much and none of the factions made me want to play because everything looked boring crammed into tight squares. 

I actually got started with Lord of the Rings. Saved up a lot of pocket money to amass a force of Isengard Uruk-Hai. I just loved those models, how dynamic the heroes were. Painted them awfully though. 

As far as Death, I like to imagine my forces aren't puppeteered by anything. They're simply shadows of who they were doomed to never die, always reliving their last moments. I really liked Death once I started thinking from that angle, the whole reanimant vengeful spirit thing. 

As a huge Tolkien fan it is a 50/50 split between Dwarfs and Elves. In the old Warhammer world I loved to read everything I could find about them.
Now I am just waiting for them to make a comeback in Age of Sigmar. The Kharadron Overlords can't be here soon enough!

I've dabbled in collecting and painting most of the (good) races for WFB over the last 20 years, but my one true love, the race that immediately hooked their way into my soft squishy heart are the children of Hashut, the worshipers of the father of darkness, those evil little b*****ds, the chaos dwarfs. Fell in love with them when i first saw the original chaos dwarf 'book'

.Unknown.jpeg.9119a361947a75181d75ee5a17c1fb3d.jpeg

I loved the idea of the them, and was about to start collection them when GW stopped selling, and at the time I couldn't justify scouring the more unscrupulous ebay sellers. Was overjoyed when FW started making them, and have picked most of them up over the last couple of years, and have only just begun to paint them.

C7y6_FsXwAAbhb3.jpg.ddea2aba2b384080926fed37750fa95a.jpg

Although I did love the cartoonish style of the original I love the FW models more. They are properly evil looking without being over the top, particularly love their war engines. I think they fit the background of these evil, prideful, merciless little barrels of hate perfectly. I don't intend to rush painting them, want to take my time with them as they are pricey, but mostly because I ain't ever getting rid of them.

All hail the Dark Father.

My absolute favorite faction is the Stormcast Eternals.

Age of Sigmar is what finally got me to invest in WarHammer and it's all thanks to the iconic look that they chose for the Stormcast. People like to hate on the golden warriors but there is something about them that really stands out and captivates me. I love the look of the Liberators from the halo on their heads to the stoic masks that hide their expressions. I run 10 of them with Swords and Shields (2 grandhammers) and 10 Judicators with Bows (face it they are Liberators with another weapon). Another stand out unit is the Prosecutors, I just adore the mechanical wings. Now that the Vanguard Palladors have been released, they have risen to my favorite models in the faction. 

I also run Khorne Bloodbound with some Bloodletters and I really want a BloodThirster or Skarbrand.

I'm planning on expanding into Tzeench, because of the Tzangor models from Silver Tower and the new Changling model. I'd love a Lord of Change!

But yeah, Stormcast Eternals are my favorites.

Image result for codex eldar 2nd edition

Oh how I loved this book when I first picked it up. I remember tentatively walking around the GW shop with my Dad, as an overly enthusiastic red shirt waxed lyrical about every aspect of the aspects. There was a sale "Heresy! Burn the witch!" and I started my 20+ year love affair with the Eldar with the purchase of some choice blisters and war walker. 

As for Fantasy,  mere mortal men always seemed to capture my imagination. Cut throats and desperadoes fighting to stay alive (and to get their grubby mitts on some golden trinkets as well no doubt) lit my creativity up like a flair and when the Dogs of War first dropped, I bought a tonne. If only had kept them all this time. Alas, they were lost to the ravages of time... like tears in the rain, or chunks of carrot in a sea of vomit. 

Duardin nee Dwarves.

Like many others my first introduction to fantasy literature was through the works of Tolkien, and of all the characters the Dwarves appealed the most. I loved their bravery, their tenacity, and also how relatable they were - unlike Elves they were not eternal creatures of fay beauty, but neither were they creatures of hatred and pain like the Goblins.

As such when I discovered Warhammer Fantasy Battle (back in the days of 4th Edition) my first purchase was the Dwarf Army Book, which I wore the spine out of reading and re-reading. I spent hours reading the stories, looking at the art, playing out the battle of the East Gate in my mind, working out runic item combinations, and general list building.

When the End Times came I was sad - I have no problem confessing that I found Thanquol incredibly difficult to read (emotionally), that I have not and will not re-read it, and cannot bring myself to read the tie in Thanquol book. But I also felt it was a fitting  send off, and have been keen to see what Age of Sigmar will do to the Duardin.

I felt the Dispossessed rules were good, giving a more flavoursome game than what you got in previous editions of Warhammer, Fyreslayers are interesting but a little too close to what we had before, but Kharadron? Duardin pirate traders with guns and skyships and gatling guns? Yes please.

Play style wise, Stormcasts. Primarily because they are what I have played with the most.
Flesh eater courts come in second, I haven't played with them before but big scary Crypt Horrors/Crypt Flayers that come back to live make me giddy.
Aesthetically it's a mix between IronJawz, and Sylvaneth.

5 hours ago, Wraith01 said:

My absolute favorite faction is the Stormcast Eternals.

Age of Sigmar is what finally got me to invest in WarHammer and it's all thanks to the iconic look that they chose for the Stormcast. People like to hate on the golden warriors but there is something about them that really stands out and captivates me. I love the look of the Liberators from the halo on their heads to the stoic masks that hide their expressions. I run 10 of them with Swords and Shields (2 grandhammers) and 10 Judicators with Bows (face it they are Liberators with another weapon). Another stand out unit is the Prosecutors, I just adore the mechanical wings. Now that the Vanguard Palladors have been released, they have risen to my favorite models in the faction. 

I also run Khorne Bloodbound with some Bloodletters and I really want a BloodThirster or Skarbrand.

I'm planning on expanding into Tzeench, because of the Tzangor models from Silver Tower and the new Changling model. I'd love a Lord of Change!

But yeah, Stormcast Eternals are my favorites.

As someone who has been playing since 5th Ed, I too really like the Stormcasts (though as I said earlier, VCs are far and away my favorite). The Paladins are probably my favorite unit from wave 1 (love that armor). Right there with you on the Chocobos. Also, oddly I have always hated Space Marines, think they look very silly.

Archived