*Renamed* Hobby Terminology Pet Peeves *Off Topic*

Turragor

Yep, bot universes are High Fantasy. The difference its were you center the action. In Warhammer Fantasy the historys thend to be about your common Joe or even guys like Gotrek and Felix. In AoS, beyond City of Secrets, all the narrative its about the Stormcast or in general, powerful beings.

Just think about Game of Thrones. Its low-fantasy, and you have dragons, hordes of zombies, giants and magic. But 95% of the action its about a medieval story with 0 elements of fantasy.

But this its offtopic, sorry! 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My biggest gripe, and fear, when it first started showing up was the use of 'deathstar' being applied to AoS configurations. Cease and desist this awful practice immediately! Let it stay in that awful place where it belongs...[emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, J-P said:

How about "narrative", "themed", and "high concept"?

As note; I've searched a lot for a description or definition of "high concept" in regards to our hobby or art in general, but not found anything. I've seen and heard of armies being described as "high concept army", but never fully understood the underlying definition. I'm guessing it doesn't actually have anything to do with the number of colours used in said army - so what does it mean? What's the difference between that, and "themed"?

Narrative: Don't *ever* ask the player about their army unless you have an hour to spare.

Themed: Generally justification for including multiples of the most potent units, and/or a drybrush-over-black-undercoat paint job.

High-concept: My army is utterly dumb, but if I call it high concept then people will feel dumb for not"getting it".

"spec me"

So, I can't be bothered to read or research a topic and make my own informed decision on the matter.  I have no intention of wanting anything but the best and equally have no intention of ever suffering the pain of defeat or failure which I must take responsibility due to my own thought process...

Oh and if you could give me any pointers on what to activate and when that would be good too.

or...

Please put the carrot in my mouth, take it out, bite it, chew it and then put it back in my mouth please.

*Post in the Death section asking for tips on starting an army.*

*Player of another army appears.*

"I don't know why you're bothering with Death, they're too weak an unsupported. Why don't you play Vanilla Golden Poster Boys instead? They've got a selection of cheese that'd make a Frenchman weep!"

In fact just make this one count for any time someone answers a "help getting an army in this faction" post with, "don't get this faction, get another."

16 hours ago, Dez said:

Rape. Every time I see someone use that term in toy soldiers/video games/out of context, it makes my blood boil. There's nothing funny/cute/clever about it. I really, really hate it. Might be the patriarch in me, being a dad of little girls has increased my hate of using the term so loosely. Hate it.

Its used so much in online gaming and has spilled over into everyday normal use. I almost used it by mistake in a warhammer tv interview when talking about how my opponent could have positioned models either side and then raped my unit in the middle of the table... See/hear it all the time when gaming, although #rekt is taking its place now so thats good news

Maybe we shouldent go down that rabbit hole, but yeah. The hypocrisy of calling others for using the tag "fascists" with everyone and then using SJW like a machinegun its infuriating.

But I will no go further this discusion, its like a minefield! Politics bad, bad!

9 minutes ago, Dez said:

My SJW campaign will be to replace rape with rekt :)

Why not "pillaged" or "plundered"? 

Of course, these terms might be offensive to those players who have been pillaged or plundered in their pasts.  Or know someone who has been a victim of pillaging or plundering.   Better to just say nothing, maybe.  No need to trigger players like Moonclan fanatics.

8 minutes ago, Galas said:

Maybe we shouldent go down that rabbit hole, but yeah. The hypocrisy of calling others for using the tag "fascits" with everyone and then using SJW like a machinegun its infuriating.

But I will no go further this discusion, its like a land mine! Politics bad, bad!

Yes! The thread could explode.

Keep em game related for the sake of everyone's sanity.

9 minutes ago, roberto said:

Better to just say nothing, maybe.

This is the safest way, you also exude an aura of mystery and probably appear more attractive as a result.

"Who is that silent, super fascinating guy playing at the bottom tables with an awful list?"

I don't do FB or much social media at all. Only sites I go to are for gaming really, so I'm (thankfully and purposefully) not privy to those flaming messes any longer. I didn't realize to be provocative, it certainly wasn't my intent and has been duly noted. Sorry all!

Archived