Let's chat: White dwarf

Arkiham

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

At a glance this months white dwarf, is mostly about some metal dwarves.

The Kharadron overlords. 

It's pretty much all these guys, 40k and the usual things. 

There is some lovely pictures, a centre 4 page spread which folds out, a battle report, quick painting guide, bit of story.

In short if you're interested in the new dwarves you should definitely grab this magazine.

There's also a cool little (standard) card game using models, it for 40k , some great illustrations 

New tale of warlords but for 40k this time.

Passing mention about the new khorne book.

In short, buy if you want to know about new dwarves of have an interest in the imperium in 40k.

If not. pass.

20170328_072808.jpg

20170328_072824.jpg

20170328_073056.jpg

20170328_073240.jpg

20170328_073346.jpg

20170328_073352.jpg

20170328_074135.jpg

2 hours ago, Circus of Paint said:

No WHQ or Blood Bowl content? Sad face.

Blades of Khorne seems interesting, might be quite useful for when I get around to painting the Bloodreavers & Slaughterpriest I have for WHQ.

there was a little bit, ill find it tomorrow. i typically try and get it relevant to aos as of the site we're on

2 minutes ago, Sadysaneto said:

Heard some talk about grotbag scuttlers, sky pirate goblins. Is there any.mention on new wd???

Literally what you have just written. There are a couple of mentions of beasts that the Kharadron fight, and a bit on a particular battle which involves a mixed fleet of Kharadron battling to get exclusive mining rights to a giants former lair, only to discover that the lair is actually populated by monsters and grotbag fleets moor there. At this point this is all.

Brief review of the WD:

If you are interested in the new Kharadron then I suspect this will push you over the edge. Lots of really interesting details about the development process both from an artistic point of view and game design. There is also enough details in there to get the mind ticking over from a matched play point of view and also narrative. Some of the things that I picked up on:

• The warscroll for Brokk Grungsson has a super charge mechanic to increase his saw fist damage - in the battle report a couple of mentions of other units doing this indicate that he is not the only model with this mechanic.
  • I can understand why the Ironclad is likely to have a huge warscroll - they have three different turret weapons, aethershot carbines (side mounted weapons), aether torpedoes, bombs, a supremacy mine, belaying valves (appear to be a CC attack), can transport other units, and has army buffing capabilities. At the least.
  • The army trait (i.e. Stormcast teleport ability equivalent) is made up of three parts, and the six major ports each have a pre-defined set with a small additional bonus to compensate for loss of flexibility. The battle report had one of the major ports and the abilities were re-roll 1's to-hit and to-wound against flying targets, skyships always run 6", and skyships get a 6+ ignore versus mortal wounds. Sounds like it will let you really tailor your army.
  • The different characters seem to both buff your own troops and de-buff your opponent.
  • There are items for heroes as well an items for skyships - the skyship is the Battle Report was The Last Word and enabled one weapon to make an attack if a charging unit ends up within .5" of the skyship.

On the subject of the battle report, although there is plenty of useful information overall and it looks beautiful I would have to say not a great BATTLE report. It was slightly shorter than I would have liked, and there were no turn by turn maps only battle scene photos so it was hard to work out what was happening. Additionally from a purely 'is this representative of matched play performance' point of view, I would have to say that it was not very valuable. The Flesh Eater Court army was around 2,500 points (base cost 2,260 and there is mention of new units appearing... so maybe reinforcement points?) while I find it hard to believe that the Kharadron army would have broken 2,000 points.

Additionally I felt the Kharadron player did not really do things I would have thought were basic game play things i.e. from what I could tell apart from the Varghulf Courtier and the Crypt Ghast none of the Death heroes died, which suggests a lack of focused fire. Given the importance of killing heroes and totally wiping units in a Flesh Eater Court army it does make you wonder.

Having had my little whinge about the battle report, I would still say overall a great read.

7 hours ago, mhsellwood said:

Literally what you have just written. There are a couple of mentions of beasts that the Kharadron fight, and a bit on a particular battle which involves a mixed fleet of Kharadron battling to get exclusive mining rights to a giants former lair, only to discover that the lair is actually populated by monsters and grotbag fleets moor there. At this point this is all.

Brief review of the WD:

If you are interested in the new Kharadron then I suspect this will push you over the edge. Lots of really interesting details about the development process both from an artistic point of view and game design. There is also enough details in there to get the mind ticking over from a matched play point of view and also narrative. Some of the things that I picked up on:

• The warscroll for Brokk Grungsson has a super charge mechanic to increase his saw fist damage - in the battle report a couple of mentions of other units doing this indicate that he is not the only model with this mechanic.
  • I can understand why the Ironclad is likely to have a huge warscroll - they have three different turret weapons, aethershot carbines (side mounted weapons), aether torpedoes, bombs, a supremacy mine, belaying valves (appear to be a CC attack), can transport other units, and has army buffing capabilities. At the least.
  • The army trait (i.e. Stormcast teleport ability equivalent) is made up of three parts, and the six major ports each have a pre-defined set with a small additional bonus to compensate for loss of flexibility. The battle report had one of the major ports and the abilities were re-roll 1's to-hit and to-wound against flying targets, skyships always run 6", and skyships get a 6+ ignore versus mortal wounds. Sounds like it will let you really tailor your army.
  • The different characters seem to both buff your own troops and de-buff your opponent.
  • There are items for heroes as well an items for skyships - the skyship is the Battle Report was The Last Word and enabled one weapon to make an attack if a charging unit ends up within .5" of the skyship.

On the subject of the battle report, although there is plenty of useful information overall and it looks beautiful I would have to say not a great BATTLE report. It was slightly shorter than I would have liked, and there were no turn by turn maps only battle scene photos so it was hard to work out what was happening. Additionally from a purely 'is this representative of matched play performance' point of view, I would have to say that it was not very valuable. The Flesh Eater Court army was around 2,500 points (base cost 2,260 and there is mention of new units appearing... so maybe reinforcement points?) while I find it hard to believe that the Kharadron army would have broken 2,000 points.

Additionally I felt the Kharadron player did not really do things I would have thought were basic game play things i.e. from what I could tell apart from the Varghulf Courtier and the Crypt Ghast none of the Death heroes died, which suggests a lack of focused fire. Given the importance of killing heroes and totally wiping units in a Flesh Eater Court army it does make you wonder.

Having had my little whinge about the battle report, I would still say overall a great read.

Thanks mate. The hope for ironjawz and grots on skyships will keep me away from de dorfs, i guess

• 1 month later...

its that time of month again, white dwarf time!

this month its the 40th anniversary edition ! older than many of its readers. 

what it contains at a glance 

• more in depth karadon overlords, about 8 pages worth covering nearly all of their units lore, probably a smaller version of the battletome descriptions 
  • a couple of pages about white dwarf over the years. 
  • a talk with john blanche
  • some nice illuminations
  • golden daemon
  • more discussion about white dwarves history
  • 3 battle reports, 2 mini ones, one of nurgle against fyreslayers. another ironjawz against overlords then a large one of duradin v nurgle and ironjawz. ( bit random ) 
  • a painting guide to the new collectors release of grombrindal
  • a massive imperial centre page
  • tale of 4 warlords.
  • hammerhal report. with rules for 4 karadon overlord heroes for it 
  • a lord of the rings game
  • Bloodbowl, rules for grombindal and goblin
  • at the bottom of most pages is a timeline of all the white dwarves from 1977-30th july 2016.

all in all, unless you're a fan of white dwarf instead of specific content within it i wouldn't worry about buying it. 

Haven't had a chance to read May's issue properly yet, but I'm a sucker for GW nostalgia so it looks pretty great to me. At a glance it also looks like the 40th anniversary content hasn't crowded out the regular content either - there's what looks to be a pretty epic 3-game AoS battle report, an interview with John Blanche, Warhammer Quest character cards for the new Kharadron heroes, and more.

I could do without the rudimentary painting guide for the Grombrindal model, which is probably going to be purchased primarily by seasoned painters as a display piece in any case, but that's a minor gripe.

I also love that I now have every WD cover ever printed in one place.

Just got mine through the post, it's a nice nostalgia trip! Interestingly though, there are loads of off the cuff references to epic sprinkled through, in introductions, letters, commentary etc. My guess is some good subliminal messaging going on!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Haven't had a chance to read May's issue properly yet, but I'm a sucker for GW nostalgia so it looks pretty great to me. At a glance it also looks like the 40th anniversary content hasn't crowded out the regular content either - there's what looks to be a pretty epic 3-game AoS battle report, an interview with John Blanche, Warhammer Quest character cards for the new Kharadron heroes, and more.

I could do without the rudimentary painting guide for the Grombrindal model, which is probably going to be purchased primarily by seasoned painters as a display piece in any case, but that's a minor gripe.

I also love that I now have every WD cover ever printed in one place.

the time line stops at the last weekly one.  

I think May's issue is probably the weakest since the relaunch, the KO and Mechanicum terrain releases have just been dragged out a bit too long really.  The John Blanche article is nice but I'm not so bothered about the WD nostalgia stuff it's pretty much just re-hashed filler content.  It's always x amount of years since something worth celebrating.  

The most interesting thing is on the last page... Next issue on sale Friday the 16th of June...  This is a strange date for WD to be released.  Obviously something big dropping around then. :)

• 1 month later...

Got my white dwarf for June. 

Predictably it's mainly 40k, 

There's a interview with the art team with some illustrations. 

There's a bloodbound and fyreslayers army showcase and a in-depth look/discussion about blades of khorne which looks alright, but pointless if you have blades of khorne or bloodbound tbh.

A good read but if you aren't into 40k don't bother, if there is interest I'll go more in-depth with pictures etc.

I've only just started to go through mine, but one of the stand out parts is the painting guide for the new Death Guard.  The painting method for these will easily transfer over to various Nurgle AoS models, such as Blight Kings and similar.

I'm still struggling to work out why it was delayed by 2 weeks though - the vast majority of the information has already been revealed on the Community site or via Twitch.  Personally it's a bit of an odd decision - a week delay would have been plenty.

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

I'm still struggling to work out why it was delayed by 2 weeks though - the vast majority of the information has already been revealed on the Community site or via Twitch.  Personally it's a bit of an odd decision - a week delay would have been plenty.

Does it say if the july issue will be at the start of the month or half way thru again?

Archived