Let's chat: White dwarf

Arkiham

So, thought this might be a good idea as there is various other threads with similar themes, and I thought it might be nice to have a place to chat about the white dwarf magazines and free up the rumours thread to what it's meant to be, rather than a general chit chat, and give people a general idea if this months white dwarf is relevant to them.

I've just had this week's white so dwarf arrive, once I've had a quick read through it I'll post up my thoughts.

At a glance it contains

a battle report with tzeentch going up against stormcast.

A painting guide to karios.

A introduction to customising your terrain.

The tale of four warlords. 

Other than that there's not a huge amount of aos content, some pictures of peoples models about it. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have two questions. It has been mentioned elsewhere that liberators and judicators are getting repacked into boxes of 10. Do we have a price for them? Are any of the new vanguard units battleline? 

looking forward to reading that battle report when my white dwarf arrives.

2 minutes ago, Chikout said:

The gryph chargers, the Lord aquilor and the aether wings will be in the March white dwarf. Presumably they will go up for preorder on the 18th or 25th. 

Cheers, was hoping they'd all be out this month was aiming to take a Stormcast Cavalry list to Heat 2. Only gives me a month to get them all done if they're not out until March.

6 minutes ago, TalesOfSigmar said:

Cheers, was hoping they'd all be out this month was aiming to take a Stormcast Cavalry list to Heat 2. Only gives me a month to get them all done if they're not out until March.

Preorder on the 18th or 25th of February if that was not clear. So 5 or 6 weeks to paint everything. That's doable.

Just now, Chikout said:

Preorder on the 18th or 25th of February if that was not clear. So 5 or 6 weeks to paint everything. That's doable.

Ah apologies thought you meant 18th/25th March haha.

Yeah that's a little bit more doable.

Looking forward to seeing the rules for the new units when the battletome is launched on Feb 11th.

Anyone able to read the rules for the Hammers of Sigmar or Hallowed Knights rules shown in pic below? Probably left unreadable on purpose, but it would be interesting to see what their rules are like.

588f277fc3c78_File30-01-2017114347.png.d

Edit: also a little sad that this'll be $50 when the Tzeentch one was so cheap in comparison.

55 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

So, some cool stuff.

Painting guide to the new roided chocobos, painting guide to disks of Tzeentch, blue Horrors painting guide and brimstone horror, finale in the tale of four warlords. 

20170130_152954.jpg

Anyone have any insight on what Vanguard - Palladors are? Chocobos? Archers? 

2 hours ago, Requizen said:

Anyone able to read the rules for the Hammers of Sigmar or Hallowed Knights rules shown in pic below? Probably left unreadable on purpose, but it would be interesting to see what their rules are like.

588f277fc3c78_File30-01-2017114347.png.d

Edit: also a little sad that this'll be $50 when the Tzeentch one was so cheap in comparison.

The Hallowed Knights one allows them to ignore spells on a 3+, and adds 1" to their run and charge moves.

I'm glad the Stormhosts use the same format as the Sylvaneth battletome. I was worried it was going to be a separate allegiance ability from the original description.

Does this mean Aetherwing are just birds? I was kind of hoping for a griffin creature.

This issue was a 10/10 for me. I know this isn't a 40k forum, but damn the new Aeldari are so cool. I especially loved Jes Goodwin's designer notes. He is a genius in my opinion when it comes to his ability to create aesthetics and designs. The sketch for the red guy (Visarch) is phenomenal and the notes about how he combines every Eldar aesthetic plus a baroque design to convey something that looks old is facinating to read and witness (because it's pulled off so convincingly)

The battle report is a great read. I think it gives some insight into the new battletome too. Seems the Stormcast battle trait is going to be lightening strike deployment for every unit, so it'll be like having a warrior brotherhood running all the time. The chocobo riders (Palladors) seem to be able to run off a table edge and instantly redeploy on another too. Seems cool, all in all! 

Although I have no idea what "stymying" means, @Ben Johnson! :P 

• 3 weeks later...

So, this months white dwarf arrived, 

In short, mainly 40k and stormcast focused.

There's some great pictures, a decent battle report and a handy painting masterclass 

Some warhammer quest rules for sambo.

There's a small section about some khorne heroes.

The stormcast stuff is a decent look into their background unsure if it's the same stuff as in the Battletome as I never brought it.  

Some awesome golden daemon models and that's about it for aos.

At a glance I'd rate it 

6/10

Unless you're after stormcast fluff or 40k I'd pass this magazine up nothing major in it, so you aren't missing out. 

20170227_133407.jpg

20170227_133701.jpg

20170227_133741.jpg

20170227_133749.jpg

20170227_133752.jpg

20170227_133839.jpg

20170227_134122.jpg

Archived