Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Xelotath said:

Can the Lord of Chaos take the gorecleaver? If so he can potentially drop 2d6 mortal wounds into an enemy. So very unlikely but potentially hilarious. Plus he will be running around with a -3 rend weapon

Don't see any reason he couldn't, he's a Mortal Khorne Hero, not named. Gorecleaver is an artefact that he could take.

35 minutes ago, Gilby said:

Don't see any reason he couldn't, he's a Mortal Khorne Hero, not named. Gorecleaver is an artefact that he could take.

Ah cool. I didn't know if it was a Bloodbound only weapon as I haven't seen the table

He certainly can! In general all Khorne Heroes can become true melee terrors now. Gorecleaver is certainly one of the better picks from the Murderous Artefacts table, among one of the best competative designs of the book for sure. Which makes me think again, guess its also time to dust of the good old models and rebase them (maby). 

11 hours ago, Centurio said:

Yes, it's true, in the Warhammer tradition, the mounts do more damage than the riders.

I may do half with glaives just because I like the looks.

If I had 9, I'd honestly make them all glaives just because I like polearms. But having three axes mixed into a unit could be valuable if you're not able to buff or effectively charge certain units. Just think of the axes as the unit you never have to worry about buffing. If they get a buff, great! But free yourself from tying them to your force and use them to hit satellite threats. 

Hey hey,

Was wondering how the Mortal stuff was looking.  Having gotten the DoT book it was pretty clear they were pushing Daemons/Arcanites.  I'm sure they did the same here, but is there enough there to make playing the old stuff worthwhile.  I was thinking of reskinning my StD force into a Khorne one with a few of the characters, but will I be handicapped not having Bloodreavers/BloodWarriors instead of marauders and chaos warriors? 

Looking through some of the battalion leaks it certainly seems like I'd be going in with much less goodies.

Thanks thanks!

Edit: Just to clarify, I'd most likely be looking at filling up with StD stuff however, I'd be up for adding in the heroes since it seems like that's the Khorney thing to do! 

take the mark of destroyer for a lord of chaos. 6 attacks with 3+(reroll1)/3+/-2/2 make him able to destroy nearly everything without effort. With a bloodsecrator, wrathmonger and aspiring deathbringer around, it's 9 attacks. 

the slave to darkness heroes have very very good melee stats, and clearly love this new book

Due to the increased synergies and battalions, they've started to trail a bit more behind than they were before. 

However, with the re-pointing of Bloodreavers and the greater defensive capabilities of Chaos Warriors they still have a place and fill niches that Khorne doesnt, especially for a more reserved player who likes Khorne but plays defensively. If you have a lot of Death players around you then those shields are very worthwhile. 

I still think Warriors with Great Weapons (-1 rend) are a good option and make up for lack of out of phase attacking by being cheaper, as well.

Marauders and Marauder Horsemen are also good options, with the Horsemen in particular giving a fast ranged option. 

8 minutes ago, Goodwin said:

Thanks for the intel' guys!

I have the majority of my Chaos Warriors with Halberds, but hopefully I can sneak them through as Great Weapons if I go through with the repaint.

The Halberds are also a good option though. Being able to reach from the second row is something Blood Warriors lack. 

Bottom line StD goves Khorne Speed (Knights, Horsemen, Chariots), Defense (Marauders with Shields, Warriors with Shields) and a few spares like the Lord and Warshrine. Avoiding equivalents where Bloodbound do better (Warriors with dual hand weapons or Marauders without shields) is the key. 

Ah, I see! 

I do have about 15 Knights, 6 Skullcrushers, and 10 Horsemen.  So if a mobile force backed by some sturdy Chaos Warriors could work, that could be neat.

Thanks for the tips.  I'll shut up now and let you guys get back to it!

Yeah, I really like Khorne Marauders with a buff to their save. 40 4+ wounds running around with rerolls of 1 to hit. They have a good chance of getting 3+ to hit just with their Hordes ability, which can be very easily buffed to become a 2+ to hit. Then you add all the extra attacks from Secrators and whatnot. I wish Wulfrik was Khorne though...

34 minutes ago, Goodwin said:

Ah, I see! 

I do have about 15 Knights, 6 Skullcrushers, and 10 Horsemen.  So if a mobile force backed by some sturdy Chaos Warriors could work, that could be neat.

Thanks for the tips.  I'll shut up now and let you guys get back to it!

Imagine Halberd Warriors double file, with an Aspiring Deathbringer, Wrathmongers and Bloodsecrator pumping them up to 5 attacks each. Giving you 50 attacks. Thats before you add any hit and wound roll buffs from the Warshrine and/or Slaughterpriests.

Mortals, Slaves to Darkness, type of deal still is good but yeah, you do not have some additional Battalions for them right now. Honestly, I also don't think they will release a lot of them in the comming years. If your lucky, maby they'll do one, it's just a matter of time to make some WD Battalions, as we see a repeat of great design of GW in it's best days ;).

Mortal Heroes however are just allround as great as those for Bloodbound, obviously they are a little more limited as Bloodbound Heroes as they do not have acces to Mark of the Destroyer, Blade of Bloodshed or Talisman of Burning Blood. As these Artefacts are Bloodbound Hero exclusive. So to come back on this:

4 hours ago, ledha said:

take the mark of destroyer for a lord of chaos.

- You cant do this for Matched play (unless House-ruled otherwise).

The biggest buff I'd say Mortals recieved can be found in their Command Traits. Aside from the great Arch-slaughterer, Unrivalled Battlelust and Slaughterborn the Hungry for Glory Command Trait and Violent Urgency are really good. Better as I initially thought. Altough obviously it depends on what you are looking for. I do however think it's fair to say that Violent Urgency is one of the best 'army buffs' we have. Consider that for your Mortal Chaos Lord on any Monsterous mount :) 

What have you guys done?
I just went and bought;

12 Skullcrushers, 60 Reavers, 30 BWarriors, 5 Wrathmongers and a handful of characters.

This is what I get for poking my head in a Let's Chat:.

I hope I can make a winning army with this stuff!

Little stupid/tongue in cheek question: how terrible of a player am I that I just run my skull crushers with the axes so I can just roll 5 dice at a time for the sake of speed (since the axe profile and juggernaut attacks are the same stats)? 

Hey guys, was after some advice on my new project.

I normally run a Order shooting army but was after a change of pace and game style and head towards a pure combat army, so picked up the  new book and looked over my old Khorne Deamonkin 40k army and tried and come up with a decent list, something that can deal with other shooting armys I tend to play against locally. So they need to move up the board quick and get into them soft centered arrow boys!

Allegiance: Chaos
Leaders
Bloodthirster Of Insensate Rage (280)
- General
- Trait: Slaughterborn 
- Artefact: Harvester of Skulls 
Bloodthirster Of Unfettered Fury (300)
- Artefact: The Crimson Crown 
Wrath Of Khorne Bloodthirster (360)
- Artefact: Mark of the slayer 
Bloodmaster, Herald of Khorne (80)
- Artefact: Collar of Khorne 
Battleline
30 x Bloodletters (300)
10 x Bloodletters (100)
10 x Bloodletters (100)

Battalions
Council of Blood (80)
Murderhost (20)
The Bloodlords (60)

Total: 1680/2000

This is sort of the base I'm looking at, love Bloodthirsters! and like the idea of all them command abilities, artifacts and the 1 drop is the icing on the cake. But I'm open to all and any suggestions I can do to fill out the rest of the list, looks I'm a bit short on buffing units, or could have more  Boodletters. I also have Skarbrand sitting in a box waiting to be unleashed :P

Great to see more joining the Blades of Khorne! :D 

5 hours ago, Goodwin said:

What have you guys done?
I just went and bought;

12 Skullcrushers, 60 Reavers, 30 BWarriors, 5 Wrathmongers and a handful of characters.

This is what I get for poking my head in a Let's Chat:.

I hope I can make a winning army with this stuff!

Fantastic choice, I think you can really make something awesome out of that. You can go in many directions. All your really missing to have acces to the best Bloodbound Battalions is a unit or two of Skullreapers. 

I don't know if you allready have your characters but be sure to include a Khorne Lord on Juggernaut (Brass Stampede set up is allready complete), Bloodsecrator (duh), a Slaughterpriest or two and a Bloodsecrator or Mighty Lord of Khorne.

Have fun reaping skulls! Blades of Khorne is an awesome Battletome and army, lots of depth, lots of ways to play your guys :D 

2 hours ago, Gotrek said:

Little stupid/tongue in cheek question: how terrible of a player am I that I just run my skull crushers with the axes so I can just roll 5 dice at a time for the sake of speed (since the axe profile and juggernaut attacks are the same stats)? 

Not stupid at all! But consider buying some different coloured dice aswell, this also speeds up the process for resolving tons of different type attacks. Most importantly, in some cases our 6's generate an additional effect which means that those generated out of that effect ideally are a different colour anyway.

Due to how we have Skullgrinders and around 4 other ways to do crazy melee stuff I think that Khorne is one of the few armies that can go mono-melee and still be very dimentional in how those melee attacks resolve. 

1 hour ago, Collyc said:

Hey guys, was after some advice on my new project.

I normally run a Order shooting army but was after a change of pace and game style and head towards a pure combat army, so picked up the  new book and looked over my old Khorne Deamonkin 40k army and tried and come up with a decent list, something that can deal with other shooting armys I tend to play against locally. So they need to move up the board quick and get into them soft centered arrow boys!

- List

This is sort of the base I'm looking at, love Bloodthirsters! and like the idea of all them command abilities, artifacts and the 1 drop is the icing on the cake. But I'm open to all and any suggestions I can do to fill out the rest of the list, looks I'm a bit short on buffing units, or could have more  Boodletters. I also have Skarbrand sitting in a box waiting to be unleashed :P

Very solid list and Murderhost will certainly get you up there!

In regards to the overall composition, I am currently of the opinion that your army will work out well. Giant blocks of Bloodletters are just very good. Running 2 of those 30 man blocks means your opponent is unlikely to deal with the both of them so spending that 320 points left into Bloodletters (2 big blocks of 30, multiple 10 blocks) is an extremely potent plan. 

Now the only downside to running Murderhost with Council of Blood is how many points get put into the Bloodthirsters and Bloodletters. Though if you want to run basically 'all Monsters' I'd certainly follow up on your current plan. The current list is fine as is, it's just very much Rock if you spend those last points in Bloodletters. 

Alternatively you could also 'not thake' Bloodletters and fill in the gap with tons of Bloodreavers. Their damage output is certainly lower but it does open up points for a Bloodsecrator or two, perhaps even a Slaughterpriest and/or Bloodstoker. 
- What you can archive with such a force is a mixed Monster + Chaff list. In essence present both Rock and Paper. Which creates this oppertunity:
1. Your opponent focusses on trying to thake out the Bloodthirsters (which you technically can heal with a Slaughterpriest)
2. Your opponent focusses on trying to thake out the Bloodreavers and smaller characters (which leaves them with 3 Bloodthirsters to worry about)
3. You have more models to work with for objective purposes.

3 minutes ago, Beltrajor said:

You could alternatively run maxed murderhost and rush the board like there's no tomorrow while thirsters do their job

2d6 move every turn is crazy fast!!

Absolutely. Though for my personal modelling and hobby experience I'm not looking forward to paining the same model at least 80 times. 

In many cases the massed spam can be really potent and really powerful but the question for me is if I can bring myself up to create that, having been over 15 years in the hobby, I know I cant :) 

Archived