Help Me Sell My Buddy on AoS and Fyreslayers

Like it says on the tin, i'm trying to sell my buddy John on starting Age of Sigmar. At first I thought he'd be interested in Stormcast, and though he liked how they played, he finds the models a little underwhelming. But Fyreslayers seem to have a lot of what he likes - brave, durable, something approaching combined arms, lots of fire effects to paint - and he's game to try again.

Any thoughts?

Any suggestions for a starting list to give him (with proxies)?

This might be a fun list to try them out. Maybe not the best list but good to test different stuff and also something he can buy without going for a magmadroth which might not be usefull in a small game.

Leaders
Auric Runemaster (80)
- General
Battlesmith (100)
- Fyresteel Throwing Axes
Grimwrath Berzerker (100)
- Fyresteel Throwing Axe

Units
Vulkite Berzerkers x 20 (320)
- War Pick Slingshield & Throwing Axes
Auric Hearthguard x 10 (200)
- Magmapike & Throwing Axes
Hearthguard Berzerkers x 10 (200)
- Throwing Axes & Poleaxe

If you are going to proxy switch the grimwrath for a runesmiter and tunel for example the Auric Hearthguard, that is something to practice since I think most good fyreslayer lists use a lot of runesmiters.

Ive been looking into fyreslayers myself recently.

From the tacticians on this forum, ivr gleaned that he's going to want a giant 30 man squad of vulkites bezerkers together with a battlesmith as they will be unmoveable objective holders. They become one of the toughest units in the game at that point.

Grimwrath bezerkers are also apparently fantastic,

On 29/10/2016 at 1:39 AM, ElectricPaladin said:

Like it says on the tin, i'm trying to sell my buddy John on starting Age of Sigmar. At first I thought he'd be interested in Stormcast, and though he liked how they played, he finds the models a little underwhelming. But Fyreslayers seem to have a lot of what he likes - brave, durable, something approaching combined arms, lots of fire effects to paint - and he's game to try again.

Any thoughts?

What are you trying to sell him on? Age of Sigmar or Fyreslayers? As with most things with the game, go with what you like the look of and you can't go wrong. ;)

But if he is just starting, get him to get the cheap starter set or some models he likes and take it from there.

I think you need to let him play some games to get a feel of the game. Fyreslayers have a massive learning curve. They are very difficult compared to most other factions due to a lack of varied battalions and movement options. 

But on the flip side Vulkite are the single best horde infantry in the game. A unit of 30 has a 4+ ward save and huge damage output. They also don't need buffs or support making them great line holders. They can do some crazy stuff offensively as well. Hearthguard Berzerkers with Flameaxes have the best MW output in the game I think. put hem near the hero and they become as resilient as Vulkite.

Overall I think if GW released a Start Collecting, added points to other battalions, and either lowered he cost or upped the minimum not size to Vulkite they would be in good shape.

I would not sell him on Fyreslayers unless he specifically said he likes the look of them. 

They have one of if not THE absolute worst Points per Price Ratio of any army in AoS. The basic Battleline unit is $60, and though you only need to buy one box for 1000 points, since it provides 2 battlelines. However, Magmadroths have the best PpP ratio, and are $110 and you'll need at least two of them >:(

On 10/29/2016 at 11:39 AM, ElectricPaladin said:

Any thoughts?

I think your heart is in the right place.

My advice would be to expose him to more Age of Sigmar and existing players. I'm sure my story is very similar to others on the forum... their friend got them to play based on the box set (mine was Bretonnia vs. Lizardmen) and had a few games. I enjoyed the game and would explore the range at my local FLGS to find the army for me. 

I found the Empire not because of their playing style but their look. My first model was the Grand Theogonist with my first paycheck ($55) and I went on to build an army around that. 

So... take your friend down to FLGS or Games Workshop, show him some YouTube videos, point out some painting guides, and expose him to some lore via 4chan or something. He'll find something that is right for him and the rest will fall into place.

Archived