Can you rate 'start collecting boxes' ?

MikeGreen

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The power level isn't really an important factor, since they are not supposed to be balanced against each other. It's just a collection of models that help you get started with a faction. Some of the boxes are very powerful on the table (Flesheater Courts) while others are very weak on the table (Khorne Bloodbound) but that is just based on the contents of the box and is not indicative of how the whole faction plays or performs.

In terms of value I would say the Seraphon box is the best since the box is the same price as the Carnosaur itself, so you're essentially getting 20 infantry models for free.

11 minutes ago, PJetski said:

In terms of value I would say the Seraphon box is the best since the box is the same price as the Carnosaur itself, so you're essentially getting 20 infantry models for free.

The same could be said of the Skeleton Horde box, which is $5 more expensive than a mortarch for five cavalry and ten infantry.

I agree that rating the boxes is kind of a weird project. What's the point? They aren't meant to be balanced against each other - they're meant to be a place to begin collecting an army from. They're designed to appeal, not to play.

There's also the question of the battalions they contain. Some of those are much better than others, while some are completely worthless.

Back in wfb times there were no problems to rate battalions. Like do not buy beastmen. It seems that you save a lot of  money but it contains very poor units. Easy and Helpful as that.

The problem is we want to play them. My buddy has nurgle and generic chaos Starting boxes. I also intend to buy one or two,  and not necessarily expand them. Just maybe.

So we have sth - khorne bloodhound get the last place.

I doubt many of us have bought them all. I know I'm getting the ones the complement the starter box with Stormcast Eternals,  Khorne Bloodbound and Demons of Khorne. I also plan of expanding into an Everchosen army so Slaves to Darkness and Nurgle also appeal to me. The 3 Death boxes would be next on my list because they look cool. 

All that said I think you'd appreciate this link: http://twoplustough.com/start-collecting/

Good to see another hardcore gamer. Here are my tiers

1) Khorne Daemons - can be used for 40k, which is a proper game

2) Nurgle Daemons - can also be used for 40k

10) everything else bar stormcast - can at least be used for 9th age

11) Stormcast - sigmarines are for plebs and can't even be used for 9th

++ MOD COMMENT ++ - Gaz -

There has been a few more reports about this post. Can I ask people to refrain on reporting this post as Double Misfire has been issued an warning by @Ben. Punishment has been dealt.

However, if you see any future problems feel free to report ;) 

Good to see another hardcore gamer. Here are my tiers
1) Khorne Daemons - can be used for 40k, which is a proper game
2) Nurgle Daemons - can also be used for 40k
10) everything else bar stormcast - can at least be used for 9th age
11) Stormcast - sigmarines are for plebs and can't even be used for 9th

What even are you? [emoji106]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, ElectricPaladin said:

I have discovered that I like Age of Sigmar much more than 40k. It's a much more elegant game.

I'm pretty sure the original post with that was trolling/joking.  Incidentally I agree.  I played a game of 40k after many years away, and it wasn't fun at all.  Conversely, I have had a blast the few AOS games I've played.

5 hours ago, PJetski said:

Problem with the Seraphon box is that it does not give you proper General's Handbook unit sizes.

57 minutes ago, Oppenheimer said:

Problem with the Seraphon box is that it does not give you proper General's Handbook unit sizes.

True, but a second box gets you two 10-man Warrior units and three 5-man Knight units. So yes, you spend $170 on two boxes, but it's still a phenomenal value. 

Why are you so inclined on MSRP $ value ? I mean, all those prices from GW are artificial/made up if a unit or 5 men costs the same as a unit of 10.

40k will have a new edition in 2017, and it looks like changes will be significant. Now there are too many special rules, and the system collapses under its own weigth (yeah, weigth of a typical army too!).

If you can't point to anymore powerful boxes, can you think about some that are underperforming ?

Khorne bloodbound, as I read Pestilens box suck (a lot of plastic but except cannon crraap) what else ?

1 hour ago, MikeGreen said:

If you can't point to anymore powerful boxes, can you think about some that are underperforming ?

Khorne bloodbound, as I read Pestilens box suck (a lot of plastic but except cannon crraap) what else ?

Start Collecting Skeleton Horde is one of the worst value sets purely because the skeletons in it have skinny legs and are more likely to snap off their bases than any other models in a start collecting set. An empty base is more cr@p than even a plague monk so I'd put them in a low tear if you haven't already.

Ironjawz have the thickest and stompiest legs of all the Start Collecting boxes, and so should probably remain high tear.

Back in WFB times, there were  analysis of products - what is worth to buy and what is not. Repeating to every new player - buy what appeals to you is not the way in an expensive, competitive game ! I want to buy a game with minis not the minis. Common card can have much better art than a rare. And here in miniature games commons and rares tend to cost the same in $.

Don't you think that conclusion of this thread can be valuable ? I strongly do. We need some guidance from people who actually participated in tournaments. Veteran knowledge what is highly playable and what is "buy if it appeals visually to you". Cynic posts do not help us either.

New players (as me) need to know how many points are in each starting box, and which one has competitve models. On the other hand it is even more important to know the sets that are NOT a good foundation of the army.

Fine @MikeGreen, you win. My 20 year Warhammer verterancy has informed me that the best Start Collecting set is:

Spoiler

99120206017_SkavenStormfiendsBox01.jpg

£11.50 cheaper than the other boxes and it contains all the models you need to enjoy winning games of Age of Sigmar. You can even use the leftover money to buy more warpfire throwers on a bits site!

If the Stormfiends box doesn't meet your requirements, not being an 'official' Start Collecting box, then Khorne Daemons, Nurge Deamons, Bloodbound, Slaves to Darkness and Pestilens are the only Start Collecting boxes worth buying, being the only boxes with models that can be used alongside Stormfiends in matched play (with Slaves to Darkness being the probable winner as the Sorcerer could probably be converted to represent Sayl the Faithless with a little effort).

Archived