TOW 1.0 - Dwarf Mountain Holds

4 hours ago, Beliman said:

There is one thing that I miss.

If the regiments of renown are going to be Made to Order and there is even an Slayer army of infamy in the arcane journal, it would be ace to see the Long Drong's pirates again.

I'm not so sure about a Slayer Army of Infamy anymore. The lack of plastic suicidal stunties may have forced the designers to think about other options (norses and engineers?).

I know that wasn't a problem back in the Storm of Chaos, but it would be nowadays. 

7 hours ago, Jator said:

I'm not so sure about a Slayer Army of Infamy anymore. The lack of plastic suicidal stunties may have forced the designers to think about other options (norses and engineers?).

I know that wasn't a problem back in the Storm of Chaos, but it would be nowadays. 

That's why I think the Armies of infamy are excuses as a projects instead of armies to collect. Tomb Kings and Bretonnia has rules for units that doesn't have miniatures, and the journal explicity says that you need to convert or use diferent paint schemes.

On 3/21/2024 at 7:15 AM, Double Misfire said:

Well I stand corrected. Maybe Malakai invented a time machine

Maybe Malakai doesn't need a time machine: If I'm right (I'm not a Fantasy player), he invented the Goblin Hewer during the Storm of Chaos event, but what happens if The Old World is set in another timeline (End Times)? That could be a good excuse.

Btw, I didn't see him near TOW's Goblin Hewer, maybe he is not part of the crew anymore?

10 hours ago, Jator said:

Wait and see!

Looking at other armies' Armies of Infamy, Errantry War lists can still include Peasants as special choices, and the Orc and Goblin 'Troll Horde' still features orcs, common goblins and artillery in the preview photos, so I'd hazard the likely Slayer AoI as more 'Karak Kadrin - Slayers and Friends' than the Storm of Chaos 'Slayer Cult - All Slayers All the Time'.

You'll probably be looking at Slayers as a Core choice along with Warriors and Quarrellers, Dragon Slayer BSB, Doomseekers, Goblin Hewers, Brotherhood of Grimnir, Thunderers moved to Special, Special choices moved to Rare, Rare choices either made 0-1 or ditched entirely, and no option for a vanilla King 'cos Ungrim.

If someone hated the classics and really wanted plastic Slayer models, I hear that newfangled game where models fight on individual plastic disks, instead of being squished together in complicated rectangles has entire range of them.

2 hours ago, Beliman said:

That's why I think the Armies of infamy are excuses as a projects instead of armies to collect. Tomb Kings and Bretonnia has rules for units that doesn't have miniatures, and the journal explicity says that you need to convert or use diferent paint schemes.

Welcome to proper wargames GW games 20 years ago 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Beliman said:

Agreed. If anything, I'd say I'm more convinced they'll include them as an army of infamy now that Ungrim has been released. It's a big project (unless you're happy to buy tonnes of metal slayers), but that's the point.

So exciting to get new models and in plastic at that! All the stuff coming back is awesome as well and I hope they go for even more old old models as there is definitely a demand for the 80s and 90s dwarf models! 

Edited by Mordeus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Posted (edited)

So I just watched the trailer again (as one does) and noticed this. Looks like Belegar might be the second named character? Makes sense, since his model is still in production as the Warden King, but I did expect something new.

CNya769.png

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

So I just watched the trailer again (as one does) and noticed this. Looks like Belegar might be the second named character? Makes sense, since his model is still in production as the Warden King, but I did expect something new.

CNya769.png

Despite what his beard colour may suggest, Belagar's presumably a youngish dwarf, having mounted his campaign to retake Karak Eight Peaks as soon as he came of age, doing it alongside his uncle, and coming into contact with Queek almost immediately after (skaven lives short-short), he's probably not been born at the time of TOW. He's not written particularly young in The Dark Beneath the World though.

Also the Dwarf TOW announcement article says he's being rereleased as a generic sounding King on Oathstone.

• Like 1

I was never a Dwarfs guy, but I love seeing all the new and returning stuff. Really impressed by the general quality of the kits, their age taken into consideration. How old is the Warriors kit? 

Also really exciting to see more plastic releases outside of Tomb Kings and Bretonnia!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Magnusaur said:

I was never a Dwarfs guy, but I love seeing all the new and returning stuff. Really impressed by the general quality of the kits, their age taken into consideration. How old is the Warriors kit? 

Also really exciting to see more plastic releases outside of Tomb Kings and Bretonnia!

The Warriors kit came out with the second 6th ed army book in 2005 (along with Crossbows/Thunderers and the Cannon/Organ Gun) :) 

11 minutes ago, Magnusaur said:

Warriors are, apparently, 7th edition, so 2010ish? Seem to be at about the point GW were moving over to digital sculpting.

Just now, Double Misfire said:

The Warriors kit came out with the second 6th ed army book in 2005 (along with Crossbows/Thunderers and the Cannon/Organ Gun) :) 

I thought that, but they aren't those warriors. Those didn't have sculpted metal shields, but rather flat wooden round ones with icons that could be glued on top.

1 minute ago, JerekKruger said:

I thought that, but they aren't those warriors. Those didn't have sculpted metal shields, but rather flat wooden round ones with icons that could be glued on top.

You're thinking of these plastic Warriors, released in 2000 worldwide (though released about a year earlier in various non English speaking territories that didn't get Battlefleet Gothic translated - don't ask!), with the first 6th Dwarf army book in 2005 (also pictured under the spoiler tag)

Spoiler

dwarf-shield-decorations-meaning-are-they-attached-to-a-v0-p7probmjgq9a1.jpg.5873e9cf564013c64d598a90164d64f3.jpgbc16c88b1bea478188347b71a19c380b47aeff9ee9e730ad0d6caa18acdb2deb__63290.jpg.4999bdc598de3c87c907d3e0c3e9305f.jpg

The plastic Warriors rereleased for TOW, were released alongside the second 6th ed Dwarf army book in 2005 (both shown under the tag) :) 

Spoiler

Dwarf_Warriors_7th_Edition_Miniatures.webp.651e906fcc1612f2d448a43acc961925.webpDwarfs_2_6_Cover.jpg.9a164c2219eeff4d8d18aaffe03b997f.jpg

4 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

You're thinking of these plastic Warriors, released in 2000 worldwide (though released about a year earlier in various non English speaking territories that didn't get Battlefleet Gothic translated - don't ask!), with the first 6th Dwarf army book in 2005 (also pictured under the spoiler tag)

Reveal hidden contents

dwarf-shield-decorations-meaning-are-they-attached-to-a-v0-p7probmjgq9a1.jpg.5873e9cf564013c64d598a90164d64f3.jpgbc16c88b1bea478188347b71a19c380b47aeff9ee9e730ad0d6caa18acdb2deb__63290.jpg.4999bdc598de3c87c907d3e0c3e9305f.jpg

The plastic Warriors rereleased for TOW, were released alongside the second 6th ed Dwarf army book in 2005 (both shown under the tag) :) 

Hide contents

Dwarf_Warriors_7th_Edition_Miniatures.webp.651e906fcc1612f2d448a43acc961925.webpDwarfs_2_6_Cover.jpg.9a164c2219eeff4d8d18aaffe03b997f.jpg

I’m actually considering buying the dwarf starter box.

although I’m still incredible happy.

20 hammerers for almost the price of 10 hammerers currently sold in aos sounds like a dream comr true.

(Guessing on the prices the tomb guard currently cost)

11 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

Sigh, why did I, foolishly, assume there was only one army book released in 6th edition. Notably I went to uni in 2004 and stopped collecting GW soon after.

Given their age there holding up fairly well.

Edited by JerekKruger

33 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

Sigh, why did I, foolishly, assume there was only one army book released in 6th edition. Notably I went to uni in 2004 and stopped collecting GW soon after.

Given their age there holding up fairly well.

Discovering beer and ditching toy soldiers for a bit is a rite of passage. 🍻

Dwarfs are notable for having two books in 6th, but not getting one in 7th, so it's an easy miss

21 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Discovering beer and ditching toy soldiers for a bit is a rite of passage. 🍻

I did it twice... well the first one wasn't beer, it was girls (age 14 or so). Then I briefly returned to GW before discovering beer 😄

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I like non-alcoholic beer. Do I have to take the Slayers oath now? 
What kind of slayer would I be? A foam head slayer? 

I hardly drink anymore. It takes too much out of me when I do. Gone are those halcyon days wren I could drink then pints and be in lectures the next day without any ill effect.

But them I'm also 6'6" so I think I already fail at being a dwarf.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1