TOW 1.0 - Dwarf Mountain Holds

I know I mentioned this in the main thread, but I'm really curious about what armies of infamy we will get. Karak-Kadrin seems a given, but they can surprise us with the second one.

I also expect to see Thorgrim as a prince, having adventures around the (old) world, most likely in resin. And of course the King on Shield, something that at this point will surprise no one.

Dwarfs are one of those factions that I love but I don't see myself collecting, but I'm always ready to be seduced by those beardy ****** if they present me a fun army of infamy and some cool models.

• Like 2

I know I’m a broken record, but I really really hope to see a Grombrindal miniature for the 500th celebration. A useable one, not one in fancy dress. 

Just so excited to see Dwarfs return. Also looking forward to seeing what classics will come along with the release too! 

Edited by Kronos
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Jator said:

I know I mentioned this in the main thread, but I'm really curious about what armies of infamy we will get. Karak-Kadrin seems a given, but they can surprise us with the second one.

I also expect to see Thorgrim as a prince, having adventures around the (old) world, most likely in resin. And of course the King on Shield, something that at this point will surprise no one.

A Zhufbar/Engineering Guild/Exiles list with an emphasis on their 'modern' creations seems like a good bet. In the case of the latter, it could also put a focus on Rangers in addition to the gizmos and gadgets. 

For resin characters, maybe a new Grombrindal? I suspect we'll get at least one named female Queen/Thane as well.  

High King Alriksson I think they'll save for the inevitable Great War Against Chaos book, though I'd be happy to be wrong. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

A Zhufbar/Engineering Guild/Exiles list with an emphasis on their 'modern' creations seems like a good bet. In the case of the latter, it could also put a focus Rangers in addition to the gizmos and gadgets. 

For resin characters, maybe a new Grombrindal? I suspect we'll get at least one named female Queen/Thane as well.  

High King Alriksson I think they'll save for the inevitable Great War Against Chaos book, though I'd be happy to be wrong. 

Grombrindal likely to be plastic? They might save him for a later reveal.. but I'm hopeful!

14 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

If love to see Kraka Drak. Norsca Dwarves eye make a great hobby project and child have some interesting rules variations.

Yeah I'd love Norse Dwarfs - bezerkers etc...

Hoping for some MTO metals for units - I'd like another 5 miners and old Longbeards... maybe another war machine...😇

I'm guessing a good few of the character sculpts will be available.. 

I'm #teamkarakkadrin too. An opportunity to use the goblin hewer is something that I cannot pass. 

Appart from that, I will be glad if GW can surprise me with Norse Dwarfs or whatever. Any excuse to buy more dwarfs is always good to me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, silverstu said:

Grombrindal likely to be plastic? They might save him for a later reveal.. but I'm hopeful!

Based on the Bretonnian/TK/O&G characters thus far all being resin, I reckon Grombrindal would be as well - even if a plastic AoS version appears in the near future (ALA the resin/plastic divide between 30k and 40k Primarchs). 

I really hope the two Armies of Infamy are anything but Slayer Cult and Engineers Guild.

One of my best friends ran a Slayer list during Storm of Chaos, and while it could be beaten (typically with a lot of shooting, and cannon sniping to take out Doomseekers), an entire army ignoring one of the key game mechanics (combat resolution) is no fun to play against. Also Doomseekers were an unbalanced, game breaking mess; even if they'd cost triple the points they were priced at, they'd still have felt overpowered.

Re: Engineers Guild: Gyrocopters are already special choices, and we're not gonna get any new kits, so a list veering in this direction would just incentivise gunlines, that while hugely enjoyable to have deployed in front of you, I've been informed by almost 30 years of opponents are no fun to play against.

No other obvious Army of Infamy candidates for Dwarfs exactly leap out mind.  Maybe a sort of 'Royal Throng' elite army, allowing players who just like the 8th ed kits to only run Longbears, Hammerers, Ironbreakers and Irondrakes, without having to worry about the older plastics? An Underway type army focused on Minders and Ironbreaker/Drakes? overground/Ranger force encouraging a mobile playstyle with Ranger units backed up by Gyros, with some kind of Ranger Longbeard/Veteran Rangers option?

On 3/18/2024 at 5:47 PM, Clan's Cynic said:

A Zhufbar/Engineering Guild/Exiles list with an emphasis on their 'modern' creations seems like a good bet. In the case of the latter, it could also put a focus on Rangers in addition to the gizmos and gadgets. 

It's sad that Alriksson's already a named character. A High Queen leading the dwarfs would have been a neat way to differentiate the new/old era from the 2500s.

On 3/18/2024 at 7:42 PM, Beliman said:

I'm #teamkarakkadrin too. An opportunity to use the goblin hewer is something that I cannot pass. 

Appart from that, I will be glad if GW can surprise me with Norse Dwarfs or whatever. Any excuse to buy more dwarfs is always good to me.

Goblin Hewer ain't gonna happen. Like the Empire wizard wagons it hasn't been invented yet. If you're lucky enough to own one, and patient enough to assemble it, run it as an Organ Gun?

Fully agree on any excuse to buy dwarfs 👍

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Goblin Hewer ain't gonna happen. Like the Empire wizard wagons it hasn't been invented yet

I see. Well, I woudn't mind if they retcon that. An organ gun from karak kadrin seems nice too

5 minutes ago, Beliman said:

I see. Well, I woudn't mind if they retcon that. An organ gun from karak kadrin seems nice too

Ogre Maneaters made it into their legacy list, and they're not supposed to have started calling themselves Maneaters till Golgfag turned up, so you never know 🤷‍♂️

So, let's see what is there for us:

• Dwarf Lord with shield+hand weapon or Great weapon, that can be mounted on foot or shieldbearers.
    Spoiler

7cYv1vlaVPLobPrY.jpg

• Dwarf Thane with Handgun and Oathstone
    Spoiler

XJ0oJU9BIGQlDl0z.jpg

• Young Ungrim Ironfist
    Spoiler

Fuu4y11JVw12xp0K.jpg

• Plastic Ironbreakers, Hammerers, Warriors, Miners and Quarrelers
  • Slayers of Legends, King on Oathstone, Runesmith, Gyrocopter/Gyrobomber, Cannons/OrganGuns.
  • Forgeworld Command Set
    Spoiler

NhgnpEqLJjUOP6Lm.jpg

• Metal sculpts for: Grudge Thrower, Bolt Thrower, Flame Cannon, Anvil of Doom and a Group of Engineers
  • Other metal sculpts: Slayer Command, Doomseekers and the Goblin Hewer.
  • Bonus: Imperial Dwarfs  and their Command and Josef's Bugman's Cart
  • Made to Order: Prince Uther and his Dragon's Company (2 boxes)
  • Made to Order (2.0): 5 metal lords, 3 metal runesmiths, 4 emtal dragon and daemonslayers, 1 Helga, 1 Lord, 1 thane and Standard bearer in resin.
  • The Old World Box with 32 Dwarf Warriors,  32 Quarrellers/Thunderers and 2 Gyrocopters/bombers
    Spoiler

LhhhigKi8fNPji8G.jpg

• Arcane Journal with 2 Armies of Infamy with extra untis and magical items, 2 special characters from WFB (one of them being Ungrim) and a bunch of cards for runes and Anvil of Doom abilities:
    Spoiler

rdnVDV9d6YmnWsX4.jpg

I still miss some things, like 6th edition longbeards. Curious about the second heroe for the Arcane Journal.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Posted (edited)

Thane With Shieldbearers looks fantastic, but I am somewhat surprised he's plastic after O&G only got resin. Not that I'm complaining. It's a very good glowup on what was an old model.

Ungrim looks fantastic.

Pleased to see the Doomseekers finally return. I was very surprised about the Goblin-Hewer. I know we all predicted it, but since neither of those are in the Forces of Fantasy list that pretty much confirms a Slayer Cult Army of Renown.

The Battalion box is interesting. Good starting point for newcomers, but I did expect them to mix it up a little with Hammerers or Ironbreakers. Two Gyrocopters Jeremy? That's insane.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Beliman said:

I still miss some things, like 6th edition longbeards.

TOWlongbeards.jpg.fdde51d002a17ca026edbb5b794ca41c.jpg

You might be in luck... The 6th ed Longbeards are the dwarfiest dwarfs ever made, and it would be an injustice not to sell them.

TOWimperialdwarfs.jpg.14f0fc36a330e79c1c6a794615cabaf6.jpg

Interested to see which Imperial Dwarfs get rereleased, hopefully these ones (despite the fact they were never released as 'Imperial Dwarfs'), as I've got a pile of dwarfs with spears who've not had rules for 23 years:

Spoiler

marcatv1p005-01.jpg.ae52b9e4c455d83ab5863fc6cb4ee4a8.jpg

Curious about the second heroe for the Arcane Journal.

The article says we may remember both of them from WFB, so it's not gonna be anyone new, which warms my heart (though I still think of Alrik and Thorek as 'new')

Grombrindal with his 500th mag anniversary model still unrevealed feels like a good reason the second special character isn't announced here.

Thorgrim as the hotheaded young go-getter he was established as pre High King in 8th also feels like a really safe bet, though honestly hope it's anyone else, as off the Throne of Power, I'm not sure he'd have much going rules wise to differentiate himself from any other Dwarf Lord.

Kragg the Grim would be a great candidate to bring back for TOW as he'd already lived several times longer than a regular dwarf even then.

Burlok Damminson's old enough to have an adult son by the 2500s, which would put him at around Ungrim's age, and could given an engineer lord option. Deeper cut engineer lord: 'The Magnificent' Sven Hasselfriesian's a contempory of Burlok's and would also be around.

Dullest option: Thorek. They're already rereleasing the Anvil, so why not make the basic kit a special character for the fifth edition in a row? 😬

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I was excited to see the shieldbearers, but really young Ungrim overshadows everything else here- incredible model. 

My guess for the other special character would have to be Josef Bugman. Thorgrim is possible as he’d be around in the time period but as @Double Misfire said he wouldn’t really stand out from any other dwarf lord at that point.

I think Burlok Damminson would be too young- old world is set about 75 years before he blew up the engineers guild and I think that was when he was meant to be a young prodigy. It also means he wouldn’t have his mechanical arm yet. 

Kragg the grim and Kazador are outside bets but probably not famous enough. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Azamar said:

My guess for the other special character would have to be Josef Bugman. Thorgrim is possible as he’d be around in the time period but as @Double Misfire said he wouldn’t really stand out from any other dwarf lord at that point.

Bugman, or at lest his dad are defiantly around at the time TOW's set if we've got a beer cart coming out, but Bugman's Brewery can't have been torched by goblins yet, as Bugman was away delivering a special shipment to the Emperor when this happened, and the Empire hasn't had an Emperor for 800 years, so he'd have to be Kragg's age if we were gonna see him as a ranger. Bugman or Zamnil/Samuel as a super wealthy merchant could be a fun earlier take on Warhammer's first (**** off Kemmler) and most iconic special character though, especially with Imperial Dwarfs starting to look like the second likely army of Infamy (Slayer Cult all but a given at this point).

I think Burlok Damminson would be too young- old world is set about 75 years before he blew up the engineers guild and I think that was when he was meant to be a young prodigy. It also means he wouldn’t have his mechanical arm yet. 

Dwarf lifespans are pretty elastic in Warhammer (you've got to ignore the figures given in various WFRP editions saying they live to about 200 for any of the timelines to work), and the Engineers Guild's so conservative the still be call machines they've been using for hundreds of years newfangled and experimental, so I'd buy Burlok having a rebellious youth that lasted almost a centaury.

Kazador are outside bets but probably not famous enough. 

Kazador was my favourite special character as a kid, but he probably wouldn't have lost his son as early as TOW (200 years is a long time to fail to kill Gorfang Rotgut, or for Gorfang to not get himself killed. Orcs don't die of old age, but you don't hear about them reaching it either), and he wouldn't even have background, let along rules to make him stand out from a garden variety Dwarf Lord.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Trokair said:

I am not that well versed in Dwarf lore, would Gotrek be around at this point?

He would be very young if he was, and living fairly happily in or around Karaz-a-Karak not having taken the Slayer Oath.

I've always liked the idea that his axe has had multiple bearers over the centauries, with Grimnir trying to create a new avatar each time, and somehow ending up back in the Chaos Wastes for the next unlucky dwarf to find. We could see it in TOW with a completely different wielder.

• Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

He would be very young if he was, and living fairly happily in or around Karaz-a-Karak not having taken the Slayer Oath.

I've always liked the idea that his axe has had multiple bearers over the centauries, with Grimnir trying to create a new avatar each time, and somehow ending up back in the Chaos Wastes for the next unlucky dwarf to find. We could see it in TOW with a completely different wielder.

That sounds like a 5 book's series. Count me in.

For whatever reason, I'm looking again and again the whole dwarf presentation. I was never excited for miniatures since april 2017

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Beliman said:

That sounds like a 5 book's series. Count me in.

For whatever reason, I'm looking again and again the whole dwarf presentation. I was never excited for miniatures since april 2017

Same, though the ones I'm most excited for, I already own, and are from 1987 🫤

ZTzTx84xE9nitqk0.jpg.ccd2018f8b92620ad99b535f33b7e896.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah I was delighted with that! Dwarf lord being plastic! The two resin sculpts look great - as others have said Ungrim is amazing.

They were definitely suggesting more new stuff- I'm betting on Grombrindal  coming for his 500th edition anniversary.

Really pleased with all the things coming back- Bugmans cart is a nice surprise. Shocked at the possibility of Imperial Dwarfs - hopefully the original ones -I have a bunch as a basis for my 3rd edition army so it would be nice to get a few more. The Goblin Hewer is great too- made me think they might be open to bringing back that rumoured dwarf tank eventually if they are happy with that amount of tech. 

Missing are Bugmans Brewers [too early I guess] and the 6th ed Longbeards- hopefully they will come backs MTO.

All in all a very good morning to wake up to!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Sounds like a fantastic idea for some more stories!

• Thanks 1

There is one thing that I miss.

If the regiments of renown are going to be Made to Order and there is even an Slayer army of infamy in the arcane journal, it would be ace to see the Long Drong's pirates again.

Edited by Beliman