How much time do u spend painting?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. How much?

• Daily
    • Weekly
    • Monthly
    • A few times a year
    • Never, grey plastic is best

Just out of curiosity. How much time do u spend painting?

I try to paint at least weekly, but the parent life sometimes prevents me from doing so. I try to get at least a bigger model or unit done a month.

Edited by Gitzdee

I put in "daily" cause it's closer to that than to "weekly", but of course it changes and it's almost always short sessions (10-30mins) so what helps is to have a painting space well organised and ready to go (I have a secretary desk in the living room and I leave there my ongoing project, so it's basically: open, sit down, get painting, put down the stuff, close, run to catch the train)

I put down "weekly", because normally I only really get time to paint on the weekend between work and family obligations. However, I find that I paint a lot more in summer than in winter, when daylight hours are longer and the weather is more conducive to priming with a rattle can.

I think I paint at a pretty good speed, though, given the standard I am aiming for. I already have the majority of my armies consist of painted and based models, and in my mind it is only a matter of time until they are all finished.

28 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

However, I find that I paint a lot more in summer than in winter, when daylight hours are longer and the weather is more conducive to priming with a rattle can.

Hah... down here in Australia it's oftentimes more of a case of waiting while for the weather to get cool enough to use spray primer! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

Hah... down here in Australia it's oftentimes more of a case of waiting while for the weather to get cool enough to use spray primer! 

I have actually become less skittish about it and have been priming even while it was raining and snowing this winter. As long as the models don't get wet it actually works out OK! Just need to make sure the spray can itself is warm so that there is enough pressure.

4 hours ago, Marcvs said:

I put in "daily" cause it's closer to that than to "weekly", but of course it changes and it's almost always short sessions (10-30mins) so what helps is to have a painting space well organised and ready to go (I have a secretary desk in the living room and I leave there my ongoing project, so it's basically: open, sit down, get painting, put down the stuff, close, run to catch the train)

I would love somthing like that. But i have 2 cats and an almost 3 year old daughter XD. Maybe sometime in the future i can build a dedicated hobby space in the attic. But that space needs a serious renovation first.

1 hour ago, Gitzdee said:

I would love somthing like that. But i have 2 cats and an almost 3 year old daughter XD. Maybe sometime in the future i can build a dedicated hobby space in the attic. But that space needs a serious renovation first.

funnily, me switching to the secretary desk was precisely due to the arrival of my daughter: 1) because I lost my office/hobby room which became her bedroom (the little thief!), 2) because the secretary desk can be locked :D but I can see how trying to paint with the cats jumping on the table might be a real challenge

• Like 1

It used to be almost every second evening, for an hour or two. With such consistency I've almost finished a nice OBR army in less then a year. Nowadays I've slowed down a bit, so it's more "weekly" or twice a week. BTW, I also have a 3-year-old daughter :), and a 10-year-old son. All the painting (save some holidays) is done when they are asleep. 

• Like 1

Last few years have been "a few times a year" at best. Unfortunately real life has got in the way with things like buying a home and getting married, so I've done more building than painting

Aiming to fix that this year, though: I've got two Realm of Battles to texture and paint!

• Like 1

I am also really busy with work and kids but I have a goal that I do at least 40 minutes of painting a week. If I don't for whatever reason, pretty rare that I don't, I have to make it up the following week. I also have a rule if I want to do more, my next painting project must be built and primed first.

The idea is that if I can't find 40 minutes of time to bring me joy each week then I have a bigger problem. Having the next project ready to go helps me maintain the momentum.

All up, I probably spend about 1.5 hours a week painting on average. I am a slow painter but manage to finish between 30 to 50 models per year.

• Like 2

It’s really dependent on how much time I have for it… I‘d like to paint more but life finds a way to stop me from doing more in that regard. I try find at least a „monthly“ window to have some fun so that I‘m at least productive for a few days in a month, I wish I‘d get to have that weekly. As a teen I painted more or less daily (it’s like meditation for me) and I love painting, truly, but there‘s work (and I tend to reserve a lot of my headspace and perfectionism for that, trying to do good design work), then I‘m often lazy, working out, social life… video games, tv….so yeah, I got a ton of lame excuses. 😆 Oh yeah, and no chance to paint when our dog stays with me, she‘s still young (with insane amounts of energy) and I rather make her happy when I get her than do other stuff. 

I think my biggest problem is that I like being able to really concentrate on it, so I don‘t really start any new project when I know I can‘t put in lots of time in that period. It‘s a self-defeating stance actually now that I think of it, I guess I should really work on that but it‘s difficult getting outta your own skin even if you know the problem. 😅😇

• Like 2

I definitely hobby weekly, but the intensity/regularity of that hobby varies wildly, depending on a bunch of external factors that impact my willingness to get stuck in.

Like @MitGas, painting has a deeply meditative quality for me. Because of this, I often find myself eager to hone in on a project when I have a bunch of stressors weighing on my mind.

Recently, my hobby has waned somewhat, as the circle of friends I game with have been a bit despondent and much less active than I'd like. I find that playing games with my friends (rather than at tournaments) is a great motivator.

This year, I'd love to paint more projects for fun, instead of churning away at seemingly endless army projects. Perhaps the freedom of being able to complete something that isn't just a small part of a larger whole would be good for me.

Edited by Tinniez