Stormbringer - Age of Sigmar partworks from Hachette info thread

EonChao

It feels like this back and forth is becoming a reason people aren't subscribing? 

"I need to put this font and centre if you subscribed to Warhammer Stormbringer via Hachette back in Jan -March of 2022. Unlike previous Trail Subscriptions which then carry over to the later full release. you will need to subscribe again during this new Aug-Sept 2022 trial if you want to get the magazine when it fully launches. With the current ETA is expected to be around Jan-March 2023 based on the standard bi-yearly partworks launch schedule – affected slightly by Covid the past couple of years."

• "They improved their customer service greatly between Conquest and Mortal Realms after scathing feedback of how poor it was
  • They greatly improved the contents of the premium sets in Mortal Realms when compared to Conquest (though I’ll deduct half a point for Stormbringers contents versus Imperiums)
  • They have essentially delayed the Stormbringer full release so more people can now dual-run with Imperium if they wish for a shorter period
  • They actually revealed the full contents of the Premium collection rather than the secretive stance they took during the first trial (even though it was obvious to us all what the rest of the stuff was).
  • 5 they give us Warhammer models at 40%-70% off RRP! – this is worth at least 5 points because let’s be honest, it’s why most of us buy the mag."

Interestingly I decided to ask them by email whether my subscription was still active, and when I'd get my first delivery a few days ago, and received a reply today telling me that it was, and that my first delivery would be dispatched no later than the 30th of September. I wonder whether that's actually true, or whether that's part of the misdirection designed to make people unaware that this was a trial. I guess I'll find out in a week or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got an email telling me the limited four issue trial run was finished, so it was indeed just a trial.

I have a feeling this will backfire on Hachette: I've now "subscribed" twice, both times to find out that I was just part of a trial to find out whether this idea is popular enough. I'm not sure whether I'll be happy to go through the effort a third time without reassurance that it's the real deal (and given Hachette is now the boy who cried wolf, I'm not sure how I could trust that reassurance).

They did send me a survey to say what I thought about the trial, with a possible £50 GW voucher, so I guess if I win that I'll forgive them 😄

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Beliman said:

To bad, I was interested in just one issue (the Gundstock Thunderers one)...

I think this is the conclusion they may have come to! I was just going to get a few issues to make a small Stormcast force as I had no interest in subscribing on a regular basis. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

I think this is the conclusion they may have come to! I was just going to get a few issues to make a small Stormcast force as I had no interest in subscribing on a regular basis. 

I suppose you are right, but what do you expect?

1. If you want SCE, I think it's a good collection, because you can collect them and they have a big roster of nice and awesome miniatures, some of them being very expensive. But some of this issues are going to have a lot of death weight for your army (point 3).
  2. If you want to play with Kruleboyz, remember that they have an small number of units, so you look for for basic archers, guttrippaz and a few hobgrots. The only thing that you need is THAT hero, or THAT monster, everything else is just a waste of money.
  3. Everything else are just micro-armies (KOs, Sylvaneth, Ironjawz, etc..), with a very limited pool of miniatures and most of them are years old (kharadrons being from 2017). 

I can only see one type of client: people that don't know anything about the game. 

Edited by Beliman
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

I could use most of the Stormcast, and was actually looking forward to being able to get some K.O and Sylvaneth to try out. But yeah, ~1200 USD for a sub that I'd only use about half of isn't great :(

Imo, SCE players that didn't bought Dominion are one of the best targets for Stormbringer!! 

That's a lot better than any other AoS player!!

• 3 weeks later...

My own interpretation is that they've misread the ranges they're putting into the magazine.  Stormcast aren't as popular as a faction as Space Marines within 40k and Kruleboyz are what I'd call "marmitey" combined with a fairly limited range of models available.  If we're honest, AoS3 didn't go down as well as previous editions either and I've certainly seen (and experienced) less enthusiasm for AoS since 3rd edition launched (which makes me slightly sad).  With the 3 year release schedule it also means that by the time Stormbringer finishes, the new edition will likely have just landed, which could well invalidate most of the how to play section.

Stormbringer would be a great introduction for a new player who wants to get into AoS and wants to collect Stormcast or Kruleboyz.  For people already in the hobby it's of significantly less value.  Most people have enough Stormcast to comfortably build multiple 2000 point armies, including Dominion which people were picking up exceptionally cheaply for some time.  Let's be honest, anyone who did Mortal Realms likely still has a mountain of Stormcast and Nighthaunt to assemble.

A Heresy collectable magazine would on the other hand be exceptionally popular.  It already has plenty of background to fill the magazine out and one range of miniatures will cover any of the 18 legions.  I think the only restriction would be special characters as we only have a handful in plastic.

Personally if they were to do another AoS magazine, I'd love to have a more ecliptic mix of models and focus the magazine more on a path to glory campaign and building multiple 750~1000 point forces.  However I may well be on my own with that 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Personally if they were to do another AoS magazine, I'd love to have a more ecliptic mix of models and focus the magazine more on a path to glory campaign and building multiple 750~1000 point forces.  However I may well be on my own with that 😉

I'm with you and it does make the most sense!! Even as a Stormcast player I only want about half of what Stormbringer is offering--and two of the units I do want are cut in half :( Kruleboyz side I would probably end up selling so I don't have to store it, while keeping a couple models to paint.

Two or three ~1000 point armies from each GA sounds perfect for AOS. It's been a blessing we have no Space Marines like 40k, now it seems to be a curse for getting as much cool stuff...

• Like 2

At least we have a date for it now. And I've been kind of okay with the contents of this. A few too many Underworlds warbands but at least they're fun to paint but both guessing this magazine would exist and then knowing the contents for so long I've generally avoided buying anything we knew was going to be in it. And I do really like the mish mash of factions we have here. I'm kind of sad they didn't use the bonus issues to throw in small Chaos and Death armies but I think this is a great introduction collection to the setting of AoS whilst giving new players multiple directions to expand off from it and there's at least good savings to be had here for everyone already invested.

I've enjoyed picking up the odd issue of imperium magazine for models I'm interested in. Especially some of the bigger kits even though they're spread over multiple issues. I've pre-ordered issues with forbidden planet to ensure I get them. Like getting the contents of the old start collecting space marine box across 3 issues... So a start collecting box for circa £27. Even picking up multiple copies of the same issue, I've ended up buying 4 issues of Necron immortals. 

I'd planned to do the same here. The new non dominion thunderstrike models will be a pickup for me. 

On 11/9/2022 at 9:25 PM, Freypal said:

I've enjoyed picking up the odd issue of imperium magazine for models I'm interested in. Especially some of the bigger kits even though they're spread over multiple issues. I've pre-ordered issues with forbidden planet to ensure I get them. Like getting the contents of the old start collecting space marine box across 3 issues... So a start collecting box for circa £27. Even picking up multiple copies of the same issue, I've ended up buying 4 issues of Necron immortals. 

I'd planned to do the same here. The new non dominion thunderstrike models will be a pickup for me. 

This is now my plan too, now that I've learnt about pre-ordering from Forbidden Planet as a reliable method of beating the scalpers. I want to get a few of the Underworld's warbands that are no longer available (or in the case of Xandire's Truthseekers, are only available along with the Kruleboyz one I don't want), and I wouldn't mind picking up a cheaper set of 5 Vigilors and Vanquishers.

Got my free gift from Hachette today: Ironsoul's Condemnors. Not very exciting for me, the only Stormcast Warband I like is Xandir's Truthseekers, because I really don't like the pre-Thunderstrike aesthetic. I'd have preferred 5 Vindictors over this. Ah well, they can go on eBay at least.

Anyone else get a gift? If so, was it this or something else?

9 hours ago, JerekKruger said:

Anyone else get a gift? If so, was it this or something else?

I received the same thing, I would be very surprised if anyone got anything else. I'm fairly happy because I love the sacrosanct chamber, and this tops me up to another unit of sequitors.

• Like 1

Fauxhammer has revealed the first 10 issues contents and the fact that Hachette have removed one of the Beastgrave scatter terrain sprues in favour of another 5 Vindicators (bringing the total in the subscription up to 10). I'm okay with this change. I've updated the first post but for reference the first 10 issues are:

Issue 1: Knight-Arcanum, Killaboss and Stab-grot plus six dice and battle mat (usually a cardboard board printed with a birds eye view photo of a battlefield)

Issue 2: 10x Gutrippaz

Issue 3: 5x Vindictors

Issue 4: 4x paints (Retributor Armour, Leadbelcher, Orruk Flesh and Kantor Blue) plus a Warhammer Starter Brush

Issue 5: Exclusive Praetor Prime

Issue 6: 10x Hobgrotz Slittaz

Issue 7: 2 paints (Corax White and Catachan Flesh)

Issue 8: Lord-Imperatant and Gryph-Hound with STC Medium Base Brush

Issue 9: Swampcalla Shaman with Pot-grot

Issue 10: Xandire's Truthseekers

So prepare to get those preorders in if you're doing the single issues approach.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2