Stormbringer - Age of Sigmar partworks from Hachette info thread

EonChao

As was mentioned over in the Rumour thread this'll be a thread to focus discussion on news relating to the upcoming partworks magazine, Warhammer: Age of Sigmar - Stormbringer.

What is it?

Similar to the previously published Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Mortal Realms magazine,  Stormbringer is an upcoming 80 issue magazine series that will contain Age of Sigmar miniatures for a variety of factions to help attract new players to the game. It's going on a test release in some small locations in the UK this week. It'll likely properly release in late August/early September if it follows previous magazines like this published by Hachette. It'll cost £8.99 an issue (issue 1 and 2 will likely be cheaper to get people interested) and each issue should contain some miniatures or paints. You can find out more here: Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Stormbringer

Where will it be available?

Issue 1 seems to be releasing on 15th February 2023.

Currently it seems to be only announced for the UK but Hachette have previously released these in other countries. I'm UK based but if people want to chime in with countries they're in that have stocked Conquest, Mortal Realms and Imperium then I'll edit this

What models are in it?

The magazine will contain two armies for Grand Alliance Order and Grand Alliance Destruction as well as paints, tools and scenery for Age of Sigmar. The Order army is made up of Stormcast Eternals, Sylvaneth and Kharadon Overlords. The Destruction army is made up of Orruk Warclans (mainly Kruelboyz), Gloomspite Gitz and Sons of Behemat.

From staring at the image of gray plastic the overall contents appear to be:

Stormcast Eternals:

Lord-Commander Bastian Carthalos

Gardus Steel Soul

Lord-Aquilor

Lord-Imperatant with Gryph Hound

Knight-Arcanum

Knight-Judicator with Gryph Hounds

Xandire's Truthseekers 

10x Vindictors

5x Vigilors

5x Vanquishers

4x Praetors (3 from Dominion/starter set and 1 exclusive alternate Prime)

1x Stormstrike Chariot

2x Stormdrake Guard

6x Gryph Hounds

Sylvaneth:

Arch-Revenant

Branchwych

Treelord

Ylthari's Guardians

5x Tree-Revenants

5x Spite-Revenants

Kharadron Overlords:

Endrinmaster with Dirigible Suit

Arkanut Admiral

Thundrik's Profiteers

5x Grundstok Thunderers

Orruk Warclans

Killaboss with Stab-grot

Swampcalla Shaman with Pot-grot

Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast

Orruk Megaboss

Orruk Warchanter

Da Kunnin' Krew

Ironskull's Boys

10x Gutrippaz

20x Hobgrot Slittaz

3x Man-skewer Boltboyz

Marshcrawler Sloggoth

Beast-Skewer Killbow 

5x Orruk Ardboyz

Gloomspite Gitz:

Skragrott, the Loonking

Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig

Fungoid Cave-Shaman

Loonboss

Zarbag's Gitz

Mollog's Mob

20x Shootas

6x Sneaky Snufflers

12x Squig Herd (10 Squigs, 2 Herders)

5x Boingrot Bounderz

5x Loonsmasha Fanatics

Sons of Behemat:

1x Mancrusher Gargant

Terrain:

Guardian Idol

Nexus Syphon

2x Domicile Shells

1x Domicile Shell with Winch

1x Beastgrave plastic terrain set

Is there an exclusive model?

These partwork series usually contain an exclusive model with issue 5. Looking at the collection photo it seems like there's a 4th Praetor figure that has a unique sculpt so I assume it will be that.

What's a premium subscription?

Like previous partworks Hachette have done for Games Workshop they offer a premium subscription option if you do so through them directly. It costs an extra £2 per issue but comes with 4 extra bonus issues that are delivered throughout the subscription. At the moment these have been announced as:

Premium Issue 1: shipped with issue 15 and contains Krondys, Son of Dracothion

Premium Issue 2: shipped with issue 33 and contains Gordrakk, Fist of Gork

Premium Issue 3: shipped with issue 51 and contains a Grundstok Gunhauler, Aetheric Navigator and 3 Skywardens

Premium Issue 4: shipped with issue 69 and contains a Dankhold Troggoth and 3 Rockgut Troggoths

What else is included is not presently announced but the premium magazines usually come with some paints, rules for the included figures plus extra lore and scenarios covering including them too.

Are there any freebies for subscribing?

Yes there are. If you subscribe through Hachette directly you'll get:

2nd delivery: Citadel Modelling kit (plastic glue, nippers and moldline remover)

3rd delivery: binder to store your magazines (there are usually four of these with only the first being free, see below)

4th delivery: Age of Sigmar heat changing mug

6th delivery: Paint brush set (STC brushes: Large base brush, large dry brush, medium shade brush)

7th delivery: Alternate Gutrippa Boss miniature (store anniversary figure from 2022)

Are there any extra hidden costs?

Usually although they're not especially hidden if you read the terms and conditions and pay attention to what Hachette say throughout the subscription. As mentioned above there are usually four binders to help store the magazine that are sent to subscribers. The first is free, the remaining three cost £9.99 each and are billed with the deliveries they ship with. I've not found a way to opt out of these.

In addition there's usually a few special add ons. For the Mortal Realms magazine this was a series of novellas about the exclusive miniature from that magazine series. Hachette notified you ahead of them being shipped and you could contact them to opt out of these.

The first special ad on beyond the folders is an Ogor Mawtribes Tyrant issue for an additional £9.99/€12.99 with delivery 6.

What comes with each issue?

Hachette usually play this pretty close to their chest, with specific contents being announced a month or two before each issue releases. So far we have:
Issue 1: Knight-Arcanum, Killaboss and Stab-grot plus six dice and battle mat (usually a cardboard board printed with a birds eye view photo of a battlefield)

Issue 2: 10x Gutrippaz

Issue 3: 5x Vindictors

Issue 4: 4x paints (Retributor Armour, Leadbelcher, Orruk Flesh and Kantor Blue) plus a Warhammer Starter Brush

Issue 5: Exclusive Praetor Prime

Issue 6: 10x Hobgrotz Slittaz

Issue 7: 2 paints (Corax White and Catachan Flesh)

Issue 8: Lord-Imperatant and Gryph-Hound with STC Medium Base Brush

Issue 9: Swampcalla Shaman with Pot-grot

Issue 10: Xandire's Truthseekers

Issue 11: Beast-Skewer Killbow

Issue 12: Stormstrike Chariot

Issue 13: 2x paints (Mephiston Red and Wraithbone)

Issue 14: 3x Man-Skewer Boltboyz

Issue 15: 3x Stormcast Praetors

Issue 16: Primal Lair

Issue 17: Paints (Abaddon Black and Agrax Earthshade)

Issue 18: Da Kunnin' Krew

Issue 19: Gardus Steel Soul

Issue 20: Marshcrawler Sloggoth part 1

Issue 21: Marshcrawler Sloggoth part 2

Issue 22: 2x paints (Aveland Sunset and Gryph Charger Grey)

Issue 23: Lord Aquilor

Issue 24: Loonboss

Issue 25: Azyrite Shattered Plaza Fountain frame

In addition due to a leak from a Spanish site (Goblintrader.es) we seem to have the following issues contents listed:

Issue 26: 2x paints

Issue 27: Gryph-Hounds

Issue 28: Zarbag’s Gitz

Issue 29: 2x paints

Issue 30: Hobgrot Slittaz

Issue 31: Vigilors

Issue 32: Shootas

Issue 33: Knight-Judicator

Issue 34: 2x paints

Issue 35: Arch-Revenant 

Issue 36: Fungoid Cave-Shaman Snazgarr Stinkmullet 

Issue 37: Ylthari’s Guardians

Issue38: Vindictors

Issue 39: 2x paints

Issue 40: Treelord part 1

Issue 41: Treelord part 2

Issue 42: Mollog’s Mob

Issue 43: Tree-Revenants

Issue 44: 2x paints and layer brush

Issue 45: Fanatics

Issue 46: Branchwych

Issue 47: Nexus Syphon

Issue 48: Boingrot Bounders

Issue 49: Spite-Revenants

Issue 50: 2x paints, texture scraper

Issue 51: Loonboss (possibly on Giant Cave Squig)

Issue 52: Endrinmaster

Issue 53: 2x paints

Issue 54: Sneaky Snufflers

Issue 55: Domicile Shell

Issue 56: Thundrik’s Profiteers

Issue 57: Squig Herd

Issue 58: 2x paints

Issue 59: Grundstock Thunderers

Issue 60: Aleguzzler Gargant part 1

Issue 61: Aleguzzler Gargant part 2

Issue 62: 2x paints

Issue 63: Arkanaut Admiral

Issue 64: Skragrott the Loonking

Issue 65: Guardian Idol

Issue 66: 2x paints

Issue 67: Vanquishers

Issue 68: Megaboss

Issue 69: Domicile Shell

Issue 70: Ironskull’s Boyz

Issue 71: 2x paints

Issue 72: Bastian Carthalos

Issue 73: ‘Ardboyz

Issue 74: Guardian Idol

Issue 75: Warchanter

Issue 76: Stormdrake Guard part 1

Issue 77: Stormdrake Guard part 2

Issue 78: Stormdrake Guard part 3

Issue 79: probably Swampboss Skumdrekk part 1

Issue 80: probably Swampboss Skumdrekk part 2

If there's anything I've missed please let me know and I'll edit it into this thread but I suspect this will be about it until the magazine properly launches.

Edited by EonChao
Updated with possible launch date
  • Like 10
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

With the resale value of AoS stuff - particularly Dominion contents - being so low, I'll probably skip this one and just pick up individual issues. 

As I don’t have Dominion I’m happy to get this 🤣

Im just looking at it as a nice way to collect an army whilst I wait for rumours about Chaos Dwarfs in AOS. 

• Like 1

Judging from the model list, I wouldn't mind having some of those Stormcast Dominion extras as conversion fodder if I couldn't find anyone to take them. There's always splitting the sub with a Destruction friend too... I'm really hoping this comes to the US!

edit: the only thing that truly stinks is the 5 Vanquishers, because they need 10 to have a banner or musician

Edited by CommissarRotke

I'm a bit confused...so for £2.99 you get three models, dice and the magazine. This seems ridiculously cheap for GW, what's the catch? Or is it only available if you pay for a massive subscription, can you buy the magazines individually and still get the models?

11 minutes ago, Mako said:

I'm a bit confused...so for £2.99 you get three models, dice and the magazine. This seems ridiculously cheap for GW, what's the catch? Or is it only available if you pay for a massive subscription, can you buy the magazines individually and still get the models?

It’s a way of getting people to pick up the magazine and try it out. If you look at what’s available, it’s a good deal and nice way to build up a couple of forces. I’m going to give it a whirl as I want a painting project but not too sure what I want to do at the moment (lack of evil dwarfs or anything about new Heresy so not really got anything I want to do now). Seems like a nice way to get a few models to paint up

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

It’s a way of getting people to pick up the magazine and try it out. If you look at what’s available, it’s a good deal and nice way to build up a couple of forces. I’m going to give it a whirl as I want a painting project but not too sure what I want to do at the moment (lack of evil dwarfs or anything about new Heresy so not really got anything I want to do now). Seems like a nice way to get a few models to paint up

Yeah, it sounds good. I have no intention of collecting a Stormcast army or Destruction but I wouldn't mind painting a couple of different models just for fun. Might look into picking the odd issue up if there are cool models.

8 hours ago, Chikrit said:

Below the Arch-Revenant there is a Branchwych. I'll probably make this one as well. Maybe not full, but a good bite of it, sure. On Mortal Realms I got to issue 48...

Thank you, I missed that and will add it into the list.

4 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

Judging from the model list, I wouldn't mind having some of those Stormcast Dominion extras as conversion fodder if I couldn't find anyone to take them. There's always splitting the sub with a Destruction friend too... I'm really hoping this comes to the US!

edit: the only thing that truly stinks is the 5 Vanquishers, because they need 10 to have a banner or musician

At least we know in advance to pick up a second copy of that issue! Same with the Boingrot Bouncers, it's one of the few I might get more of so I can also build a unit of Squig Hoppers.

4 hours ago, Mako said:

As Gaz said that's how these magazine's work. They offer you the first two at discount to get you interested and hopefully hooked and then you buy the rest of them. The first issue of Mortal Realms was insane value, containing 3 Sequitors and 10 Chainrasp for £2.99. They've learned from that by making the first issue a little less exciting this time around but it's still pretty reasonable to get new players hooked.

3 hours ago, Mako said:

Yeah, it sounds good. I have no intention of collecting a Stormcast army or Destruction but I wouldn't mind painting a couple of different models just for fun. Might look into picking the odd issue up if there are cool models.

That's what I'm doing with Imperium. I'm picking up the Necron stuff that I want to add to round out Indomitus and a few Space Marine issues to add to my Dark Angels and then ignoring the rest aside from one or two models I want to paint.

2 minutes ago, EonChao said:

The first issue of Mortal Realms was insane value, containing 3 Sequitors and 10 Chainrasp for £2.99. They've learned from that by making the first issue a little less exciting this time around but it's still pretty reasonable to get new players hooked.

It’s still good value at its full price. Doesn’t help there’s a Forbidden Planet near where I work so I may pop in there to see if they have any Mortal Realms if I can’t get a copy of Stormbringer!

4 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

It’s still good value at its full price. Doesn’t help there’s a Forbidden Planet near where I work so I may pop in there to see if they have any Mortal Realms if I can’t get a copy of Stormbringer!

I definitely overdid it with Mortal Realms in that way. At least I have more than enough Nighthaunt to keep me happy whenever I fancy painting something spooky 😅

Anyone know where its actually for sale? It says the first issue came out yesterday on the website but I popped into GW today and they said they have no idea when its coming out. I'm guessing the 16th is when it released in select locations and it may get wider release later?

11 minutes ago, Mako said:

Anyone know where its actually for sale? It says the first issue came out yesterday on the website but I popped into GW today and they said they have no idea when its coming out. I'm guessing the 16th is when it released in select locations and it may get wider release later?

Yeah, they do a small trial run first, and then if that that sells they release it properly, so it won't be out for a while yet.

1 hour ago, Mako said:

I think it’s some locations in UK now but I’m in Birmingham today and I’ve not found a copy (and no mortal realms that isn’t just paint!). I might subscribe to this but I like getting it in a shop personally (and less chance the dog will chew it when it’s delivered!)

2 hours ago, Mako said:

If it runs like Imperium then the actual release will probably be in August/September

In a web here in spain also guess the list of contents from the photo, with links to the kits (ES version, of course) to save a few searches for some of us that don't know all the minis :)

https://cargad.com/index.php/2022/02/16/age-of-sigmar-stormbringer-posible-contenido-desglosado/

They also missed the branchwych tho! :D

I definitely overdid it with Mortal Realms in that way. At least I have more than enough Nighthaunt to keep me happy whenever I fancy painting something spooky

haha, same thing. I got 8 issues, here in Spain costing 2€ each for 13 minis each, thinking on doing 2 units of 40 rasps. Quite stupid, as I don't play and just paint. Got tired at 40. Today I've been painting some of the Sequitors, still.....

I hope I can make a big advance on Mortal Realms backlog before this comes to Spain....

Edited by Chikrit
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully the trial ends a bit earlier, I'm sure they can gauge the engagement a bit easier now that it's the fourth GW magazine they've done but I'm kind of disappointed about the misleading advertising. It'll already be 20 months before the magazine ends so I just want it to start already... The savings hardly matter if the pace of my interest overtakes it. 

• Like 1

Updated the first post with the premium issue contents (listed in issue 1 of the trial release).

Premium issue 1: Yndrasta, Knight-Vexilor and 3 Annihilators (sprue from Dominion)

Premium issue 2: Killaboss on Great Gnashtoof, Murknob and 3 Man-skewer Boltboys (sprue from Dominion)

Premium issue 3: Grundstok Gunhauler, Aetheric Navigator and 3 Skywardens

Premium issue 4: Dankhold Troggoth and 3 Rockgut Troggoths

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That is a very cool model and I really like the visual design of Praetors a lot, and I will probably be getting it, but I hope this means there aren't too many awkward not-quite full units like there were in Mortal Realms with 9 grimghast reapers and 3 retributors.

• 1 month later...