AOS 3 - Help me decide if I should breaking up and magnetise my painted Hurricanum?

Greyshadow

I got out my Hurricanum I painted a few years ago with a plan to rebase it for Age of Sigmar. I was thinking of breaking it up to magnetise it so I can swap between all four variations of this kit.

IMG_1858.jpeg.6cf7b5897b3381db24a60aef38af3bf0.jpeg

I've been asking myself if this is worth doing? It's looking pretty good as is and I'd have to compromise the model by cutting off some painted components. The +1 to hit aura of the Hurricanum just seems the best choice. I guess putting the wizard on the model would be a cheap additional dispel - is this a better way to run it? The Luminark (maybe) looks the better of the two and I can imagine the accurate sniping with the big laser is quite useful on low wound enemy heroes. My meta would be mostly Ogors and Chaos though so I am not sure I'd want to give up the Huricanum's passive +1 to hit buff? 

I have lots of other painting projects to do, it would be good to save time and not magnetise it so I can get on to other tasks. What do you lot think? Should I:

1. Leave it as is (but stick it on the correct base like the other options) and save a lot of time.

2. Paint up a Celestial Wizard and magnetise the platform so I can swap between the standard and wizard mounted versions.

3. Paint up a wizard that could count as either Celestial or White. Remove the two telescopes, flaming sconce and acolyte at the rear entrance then cut up and magnetise the kit so I can move between all four different versions.

Thanks so much for any and all replies. For Sigmar!!!

• Like 1

• Greyshadow changed the title to AOS 3 - Help me decide if I should breaking up and magnetise my painted Hurricanum?

I am also working on a Hurricanum at the moment and I am grappling with the same problem. Here is an option you might not have considered:

You could rebase the Hurricanum for AoS and build the new base so that there is an indentation to slot in a Battlemage. That way, you could play the Hurricanum and Mage separately or combined if you wish. I think if you put some height on the base with air-dry clay or Miliputt, you should be able to pull that off no problem.

As for the Luminark option... Just proxy at it if you ever want to run one. People who don't play Cities can't tell them apart anyway ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd say magnetize the characters and if you really want a Luminarch, kitbash one with the spare parts and other stuff you have lying around, or get a second kit. Sawing that model apart will not be pretty and you'd need strong magnets for the astrolabe.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Alright my opinion:

all you need to magnetise is the top construction. You can easily swap that one for the laser-burning-glass with no effort. Nothing else has to be done :)

I mean, if you built it the way the construction book recommends, you don't even have to magnetize it (because that orrey thing is just a peg in a slot so you can let it continue to rotate).  That being said, the other big difference between the two is that the wizard on top is over the front on the hurricanum, but hanging over the rear on the luminark - but magnetizing for that is an absolute pain.

Also, for some reason they decided that some of those little planets that are used for the orrey are also components of the laser, so you will need to find some alternatives for that (whyyyyyyy). I might be slightly irritated from building my Xinti War Mages box...

• Haha 1

@Neil Arthur Hotep that's not a bad idea at all, thank you. I am leaning to @Doko's suggestion to just count the acolyte on the platform as a wizard. I am unlikely to have anyone take any issue with that even in our local tournament scene.

@zilberfrid, your comment about sawing up the kit not being pretty is my worse fears would be! I am not in to ruining all that hard work! Thanks so much for your comment - may have save me a lot of cursing later!

@JackStreicher, thanks for that. This was my first though. It was only later did I realise the platform would be in the wrong place. Who says the laser needs to be powered by a sorcerer at the back though - the profile of the thing would be about the same. I think this would be the way to go if I was to add the laser.

@readercolin, yes, I noticed that problem with the planets. I think there was some other leftover planets on the end of some poles that I luckily didn't use earlier that could help me out. Thanks heaps for informing me of the pain I would be putting myself through. I have never actually magnetised a kit before so I am a bit naive in this regard. Could you post a picture of your Xinti War mages progress? :)

Thanks so much all for taking the time to reply. Your advice has been so helpful!

• Like 1

The part on the hurricanum where the mage stands fits a 25mm base no probs. I just pop the based wizard on top when I have a wizard and take him off when I don't. Some times I just sit him on the hurri base too, bluetack him on... Just cause he looks cool there. Just walking it off. A wizard and his hurri shooting the breaze.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Greyshadow said:

@Neil Arthur Hotep that's not a bad idea at all, thank you. I am leaning to @Doko's suggestion to just count the acolyte on the platform as a wizard. I am unlikely to have anyone take any issue with that even in our local tournament scene.

@zilberfrid, your comment about sawing up the kit not being pretty is my worse fears would be! I am not in to ruining all that hard work! Thanks so much for your comment - may have save me a lot of cursing later!

@JackStreicher, thanks for that. This was my first though. It was only later did I realise the platform would be in the wrong place. Who says the laser needs to be powered by a sorcerer at the back though - the profile of the thing would be about the same. I think this would be the way to go if I was to add the laser.

@readercolin, yes, I noticed that problem with the planets. I think there was some other leftover planets on the end of some poles that I luckily didn't use earlier that could help me out. Thanks heaps for informing me of the pain I would be putting myself through. I have never actually magnetised a kit before so I am a bit naive in this regard. Could you post a picture of your Xinti War mages progress? :)

Thanks so much all for taking the time to reply. Your advice has been so helpful!

The Cart could also just carry the Luminark construct (facing backwards). And in battle the cart turns on the spot and the luminark can be used by the wizard ^^

• Thanks 1

Should we just turn this into a Hurricanum/Luminark appreciation thread?

Because I love these models and I never get a chance to talk about them. I know a lot of people think they look kinda silly, but I love these gothic, over-the-top detailed magical carriages. To me, they really capture the aesthetic that I want the Collegiate Arcane units to have.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Should we just turn this into a Hurricanum/Luminark appreciation thread?

Because I love these models and I never get a chance to talk about them. I know a lot of people think they look kinda silly, but I love these gothic, over-the-top detailed magical carriages. To me, they really capture the aesthetic that I want the Collegiate Arcane units to have.

I was never a fan based on the images on the webstore. But the picture at the top of this thread looks gorgeous.

• Thanks 1

Ya. Seriously, just magnetize the globe portion, swap with the laser, and you have a Luminark with a wizard, albeit facing backwards. 

From my battle experience it's correct though. The Luminark is always either standing still, or retreating away from the battle. 🤣

"Dude, seriously, stop staring at that gargant! Oh no, that mega-gargant is staring back at us, Run, RUN! Pha's protection save us!"

Edited by Evantas
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I finally finished painting my Hurricanum.

My choice in this case was not to magnetize anything and I will base all the crew separately. I figure it will always be obvious from my list whether or not the Hurricanum has a Battlemage on it. The crew can just walk around next to it like with the Helstorm.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 3

• 2 months later...

@Neil Arthur Hotep, beautiful mate! I can really appreciate how much work has gone into this. Love the glaze on the barding, cool colours, face on the battlemage. Your basing is perfect too with the sign post and weathered cobble stones - it's a little diorama! Lilac lenses look great too! I tip my hat to you sir.

@Maddpainting, what you have done was my initial plan. You should put up some photos when you are finsihed. Be great to see how it turns out.

• Like 1