Stormcast Eternals 3.0 - There is no "a" in Vindictors

PJetski

4 hours ago, lare2 said:

I don't really get why there's a wider discussion about dragons being a problem. I really don't think they are. Since their warscroll was released there's just been this weird mass hysteria over them. It's not like they've been dominating tournies for an extended period of time... or even recently. I'm yet to see a tourney being won by an all dragon list (apologies if I've missed any). If you want to take an all dragon list then great for you. The evidence shows you're not guaranteed a 5-0 though. I can see why there's debate amongst SCE players, however, as their warscroll does affect internal balance. 

Realistically very very few Sigmar players play competitive, so 5-0 lists don't represent the sort of pub-stomping junk most people hate facing off against in the club, and really don't have much bearing on the health of the game. That's why you'll see endless complaints about stuff like sentinels, regardless of whether or  not they're nominally the best thing in the game.

And dragons 100% fall into that category, an army of all dragons is the sort of list that makes casual players quit the hobby. Plus GW has really pushed the all-dragon army, and people like the models, so you're much much more likely to bump into it than you are top table Seraphon or something.

Edited by NauticalSoup
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

dragons

Hmmm, I suppose. I play casually and competitively but I think I'm just fortunate I game where it's just accepted you'd have a chat with your opponent before having a casual game. If I ever want to run anything I feel is more tourney inclined in a regular game then I'd always chat with my opponent beforehand. Plus, I'd like to think I'm not a douche and I don't really get my kicks from rofl stomping casual gamers. I'm aware pregame chatting's not always possible for some people though.

Edited by lare2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lare2 said:

Hmmm, I suppose. I play casually and competitively but I think I'm just fortunate I game where it's just accepted you'd have a chat with your opponent before having a casual game. If I ever want to run anything I feel is more tourney inclined in a regular game then I'd always chat with my opponent beforehand. Plus, I'd like to think I'm not a douche and I don't really get my kicks from rofl stomping casual gamers. I'm aware pregame chatting's not always possible for some people though.

This. When playing in a casual setting, you can break the game, but it is more fun if you do not (from MTG EDH).

2 hours ago, feadair said:

This. When playing in a casual setting, you can break the game, but it is more fun if you do not (from MTG EDH).

tbf that's why I don't understand all discussions starting from the premise "but in casual games...": AoS is broken in casual games without pre-game communication, and this is true beyond the spooky list du jour.

12 hours ago, lare2 said:

I'm yet to see a tourney being won by an all dragon list (apologies if I've missed any). If you want to take an all dragon list then great for you. The evidence shows you're not guaranteed a 5-0 though.

I think a unit can be unbalanced without completely sweeping the tournament meta - 1st place at multiple tournaments should not be the metric overtuned units are judged by. I think just last week SDG spam-lists placed 2nd in a couple of bigger tournaments (results were posted a few pages back). 

• Like 3

After day 1, this list is 3-0 and in the first place at Tempest 2022 [34 players):

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Beast Master
Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Knight-Draconis (300)*
- General
- Command Trait: Battle-lust
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Mount Trait: Thunderous Presence
- Spell: Thundershock

Battleline
2 x Stormdrake Guard (340)*
- Drakerider's Lance
- Drakerider's Lance
- Drakerider's Lance
- Drakerider's Lance
- Drakerider's Lance

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 2000 / 2000

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I feel like internal balance has currently lot of room for improvement and I am afraid that GW will only nerf the good stuff und leave the units that need point drops untouched. Vigilors f.e. feel just awfull. Despite the Warscroll beeing nice I don't get why they cost almost 200pts

• Like 1

22 hours ago, feadair said:

After day 1, this list is 3-0 and in the first place at Tempest 2022 [34 players):

- Grand Strategy: Beast Master
Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Knight-Draconis (300)*
- General
- Command Trait: Battle-lust
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Mount Trait: Thunderous Presence
- Spell: Thundershock

Battleline
- Drakerider's Lance
- Drakerider's Lance
- Drakerider's Lance
- Drakerider's Lance
- Drakerider's Lance

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 2000 / 2000

The list went 4-1 and came second.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, feadair said:

Hammers of Sigmar lists are first and second at Goldensprue GT (26 players). SCE are the most popular faction, occupying roughly 30 % of the field. (If anyone has a Best Coast Pairings subscription, they could post the lists.)

SCE come first (5-0) and second (4-1). The lists:

image.jpeg.b77404875c96cc847148b3a6e5c7ce01.jpeg

image.jpeg.7c73880639af4714f122a2be22c999ac.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, feadair said:

SCE come first (5-0) and second (4-1). The lists:

Good to see 15x Judicators win - I know they looked great on paper but hadn't heard many real reports on using them. That second list; anyone know the main purpose behind doubling up on the Tempestors instead of Fulminators?

This list went 3-0 at an 18 player one day event, beating mannfred and a million zombies, kairos belakor, and SCE bastian/Dracoths/Longstrikes. It didn’t drop a single vp and won all games in an hour.

- Grand Strategy: Dominating Presence
- Triumphs: Inspired
LEADERS
Knight-Draconis(300)*
- Artefact: Luckstone
- Mount Trait: Celestial Instincts
Lord-Castellant(155)*
- General
- Command Trait: Skilled Leader
UNITS
5x Liberators (115)*
Heavens-wrought Weapon and Shield
5 x Vindictors (130)*
5 x Vindictors (130)*
6x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (480)*
4x Stormdrake Guard (680)*
Drakerider's Lance
CORE BATTALIONS
*Battle Regiment
ADDITIONAL ENHANCEMENTS
Holy Command: Thunderbolt Volley

As the SCE player I had no answers to it as the dragons had the advantage of reach over the Fulminators and so could dictate the engagement.

Lesson learned: the only good answer to dragons is other dragons 

So we continue with dragons without winning any tournament(5 rounds and 25+ players or isnt a tournament only friends playing).

The list with fulmis and judis is the best in paper and i dont get why people preffer raptors when have the same damage than judis but 12 wounds vs 30 wounds for only 50 extra points

6 minutes ago, Doko said:

i dont get why people preffer raptors when have the same damage than judis but 12 wounds vs 30 wounds for only 50 extra points

In short: a) easier to use thunderbolt volley (with 30" range you might not need translocation, thus making it easier to maintain your castle formation); b) smaller footprint (better to hide, unleash hell, translocate, deepstrike etc); c) the much bigger footprint of judicators means that to have all 15 in 24" of range, the ones closest to the enemy will often be 20" away from the target and potentially even closer to screens/melee units; d) less models to paint 😋