AoS 3 - Nighthaunt Discussion

dmorley21

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Or ignore line-of-sight. But hopefully not right, that's an awful mechanic.

Or based on every other nighthaunt warscroll, 0 rend and 1 damage 🤔

I hope they turn out to be a solid unit, and Im optimistic about a 3rd edition battletome. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

Wouldn't be too surprised if the crossbow ghosts are just regular battleline. But if something from the box is getting battleline, I'd like the banshees to go to 2 wounds & (conditional) battleline. A banshee army archetype (as a subfaction probably) seems like a clear niche. Give the Tomb Banshee some love. Maybe play up an anti-wizard angle or something? I dunno but it'd be neat. Colour scheme wise, the new hero also looks like it's supposed to fit more with the light-coloured banshees than some of the other models.

I have 48 banshees for a banshee themed army so I'm very excited and nervous to see what happens with them.

41 minutes ago, Gothmaug said:

Or based on every other nighthaunt warscroll, 0 rend and 1 damage 🤔

I hope they turn out to be a solid unit, and Im optimistic about a 3rd edition battletome. 

I mean almost the entire army is Rend -1. I’m really not sure what to expect from them. Maybe something like Judicators?

9 minutes ago, Rors said:

I have 48 banshees for a banshee themed army so I'm very excited and nervous to see what happens with them.

Wow! That’s an insane amount. I really think being a box of 4 models, that they have to go up to 2 wounds. Stalkers too. But we’ll see. 

3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Or ignore line-of-sight. But hopefully not right, that's an awful mechanic.

Definitely it, 100%.

Anyway, still excited to see what we get. Them being tied to Kurdoss implies a sub-allegiance for them where he is automatically general too.

Gonna think a bit about how I'd convert them, could be fun.

Edited by Vastus

Yeah I'm expecting a significant boost to the army. Just have a few subfactions would help (I know we got those token updates but they're not good and very mono-build).

It's also interesting to think about what they might be too. I guess we'll find out soon.

22 hours ago, That Guy said:

Well would you look at this: beautiful new units. Ranged and a new hero. Did you hear me? Ranged. Yes.

A5881DE1-0A8C-416E-A3BD-1C3B024FD257.jpeg.e76033fe10a72a5f8e974332925e4725.jpeg18731EAC-CEDD-4C30-B845-EAD02F9B023E.jpeg.22f09166ee687c4e003d37704b5a3894.jpeg
689B0338-5DDF-4A07-981C-49840E414A97.jpeg.bc48a63c0530bc3f97af15cbd45abf24.jpeg9E15D402-835D-4FBC-BE93-6E982B896C59.jpeg.7923b91ff9addd500854711dc42c5369.jpeg7350BA7A-7C05-4FA5-9032-CD871DC3AB2D.jpeg
897860E5-549E-495B-8EA9-164DB5B001A4.jpeg.d3410d71a6e9a58a366f741e0a3a88a5.jpeg0E2E29A0-3C9D-43E8-9357-DAEA99C42D3A.jpeg.f78ae0be4e0f29ee6f20af7f1058902a.jpeg

Super happy for all the nighthaunt players, some support is long overdue, I have a friend who’s a NH player and I know he’s super excited to get his hands on these, I’ll be splitting the box with him to get my hands on the new Gladiatrix!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

I hope the details on the open book pages are sculpted 😅

Not sure if my shaking hands are up to that kind of freehanding anymore

I think you're out of luck there.

Fine lines like that are much easier with a high quality fine nib pen than a brush if that helps at all.

• Thanks 1

Welp, Nagash is already changing things. One of the top 8 lists at LVO in the finals is a Nighthaunt list with Nagash. I’m not sure how LVO rules the bodyguard, but the list is Emerald Host with only one minimum unit of Hexwraiths. You can look it up in the Best Coast Pairings App. The list is generally:

Nagash / Spirit Torment

9 Spirit Hosts / Hexwraiths / 3 x 10 Chainrasps

Spell Portal

Edit: Found out bodyguarding Nagash was not allowed. 

Edited by dmorley21
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dmorley21 said:

Welp, Nagash is already changing things. One of the top 8 lists at LVO in the finals is a Nighthaunt list with Nagash. I’m not sure how LVO rules the bodyguard, but the list is Emerald Host with only one minimum unit of Hexwraiths. You can look it up in the Best Coast Pairings App. The list is generally:

Nagash / Spirit Torment

9 Spirit Hosts / Hexwraiths / 3 x 10 Chainrasps

Spell Portal

Edit: Found out bodyguarding Nagash was not allowed. 

This one?

696895329_Screenshot_20220130-100544_BCPPlayer.png.4e41f4c84de33f8c90d725dbfa7163dd.png

Went 4-1.

Just now, EnixLHQ said:

This one?

696895329_Screenshot_20220130-100544_BCPPlayer.png.4e41f4c84de33f8c90d725dbfa7163dd.png

Went 4-1.

Yep. Took me a while to figure out the tech, but I think the Torment babysits the Spirit Hosts and his ability makes sure there’s none on low health so Nagash can bring back 2 each turn. 

I wish I would’ve made more time as I wanted to take 9 Spirit Hosts to my tournament next weekend, but just haven’t finished Nagash yet so realized I wouldn’t get to the Spirit Hosts and submitted a different list. I think they can become quite the tarpit though. 

1 hour ago, dmorley21 said:

Yep. Took me a while to figure out the tech, but I think the Torment babysits the Spirit Hosts and his ability makes sure there’s none on low health so Nagash can bring back 2 each turn. 

I wish I would’ve made more time as I wanted to take 9 Spirit Hosts to my tournament next weekend, but just haven’t finished Nagash yet so realized I wouldn’t get to the Spirit Hosts and submitted a different list. I think they can become quite the tarpit though. 

I think you're right. The ST/SH murderball was a core component of the murderball setup of 2.0. Decent mortal wound output (though I would have liked to see how 9 hosts are arranged during a game), and constant 1-2 wound heals from the ST so there's no gap for bringing back the force.

Hexes likely objective hunted and maybe hero assassinations (not likely at this level).

Chainrasps? 3x10 makes me think those were the objective holders or fighters to supplement the SHs.

And, of course, Nagash does Nagash and with the spell portal does it from half a table away in the early game.

8 hours ago, dmorley21 said:

I'd even be tempted to forgo a subfaction so you could take Ruler of the Spirit Hosts on the general, and get an extra d3+1 spirit hosts back each turn. But they're already on a 4+ ethereal save with a 5+ ward from Nagash, getting d3 healing + 2 back a turn, and maybe sitting on -1 to wound from Shademist if Nagash wants to cast that on them, so they might not need it. Soul cage + reaping scythe also probably make him into something of a melee powerhouse.

Dang it I wanna get Nagash now.

8 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

I'd even be tempted to forgo a subfaction so you could take Ruler of the Spirit Hosts on the general, and get an extra d3+1 spirit hosts back each turn. But they're already on a 4+ ethereal save with a 5+ ward from Nagash, getting d3 healing + 2 back a turn, and maybe sitting on -1 to wound from Shademist if Nagash wants to cast that on them, so they might not need it. Soul cage + reaping scythe also probably make him into something of a melee powerhouse.

Dang it I wanna get Nagash now.

In the one game I saw pics of, he literally encircled his Torment with Hexwraiths. So I guess he very much wanted to keep the Torment alive. In a chat I’m in, someone in his play group said he came up with the list pretty last minute and liked the Torment a lot because it heals in both opponents’ turns. 

Good stuff. I’m curious to see how future Nagash lists do. I’ll get 5 games in this upcoming weekend… not expecting much as I have only gotten two test games in. But I have found that Nagash needs to play aggressive. When I hold back I get wrecked on objectives. 

26 minutes ago, Garxia said:

It's official guys! We can expect our new battletome around April.

AoS BattletomeRoadmap Jan31 Roadmap

It has the same art on the cover... even if I like it, hope it's temporary.

Looks like it's our turn right after Idoneth and Fyreslayers. I'm very excited. Sad to see Ossiarch will be a while, but they got the Celestial tome update in the white dwarf. Are you guys ready?! It's an exciting time for the ghosts. 

Edited by That Guy

10 minutes ago, lare2 said:

Reckon it's a safe bet Arena of Shades will be out the same time?

Probably a week to a few weeks beforehand. This is a pattern with battleboxes. It's honestly a marketing tactic, which clearly works for them. They put some early access units in the boxes including early access rules for them and existing units in the boxes. Afterwards they drop the tomes, warscroll cards, dice sets and maybe... some units, but that's a big maybe. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, EnixLHQ said:

I'm going to raise some angry spirits myself if I miss out on the cards this time around...

Not going to lie, recently i started skipping on warscroll cards. I used to always buy them and they were great for their cost. But when it came to Orruk Warclans and Eternals. The price was so close to a battletome, that i'd rather just get the battletome. Hopefully it's just because they had a lot of scroll entries, because if that's the new normal, i'd rather not. Especially with all the FAQ errata updates that happen quite often these days. 

2 hours ago, lare2 said:

Reckon it's a safe bet Arena of Shades will be out the same time?

I'd be surprised if it didn't come out in the next few weeks honestly. The release schedule is looking a bit thin and considering they didn't announce them at LVO it's possible IDK/FS won't have their Battletomes until the end of February. 

• Like 1

Nice to see some new stuff & a new book coming for Nighthaunts.  Would still have liked to see a monster, but I suppose that isn't completely impossible yet.  The new hero looks lovely enough to overlook the fact that another 5ish wound support hero is literally the last thing the faction needs.

Pending rules previews, I have literally nothing bad to say about the crossbow ghosts, they look fantastic & it's nice to see a ranged option.

Looking good overall.  They just need to not botch the book.

Not death related, but I'm kind of sad to see the dwarf consolidation rumors didn't pan out.  Fyreslayers on their own just don't feel substantial enough to work as a stand alone faction.

45 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Not going to lie, recently i started skipping on warscroll cards. I used to always buy them and they were great for their cost. But when it came to Orruk Warclans and Eternals.

Ditto. I bought the SCE ones, opened them and realised I'd never use the majority so just flogged them. Uhmed and ahhed about getting them as well as I find I just don't use them when playing. Even less so now with the app.