AoS 3 - Nighthaunt Discussion

dmorley21

7 hours ago, The_Dudemeister said:

Unmounted battle line at that. So no Hexwraiths either

On other news. Scarlet Doom took 2nd place and Emerald Host 6th in this event

Who said the Black Coach was dead? It's undead and well! 

I ran this exact list to a sweep a few weeks ago. Crazy that the lists came out the same.

My Coach didn't do so well. I wonder how theirs did.

21 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Anyone here ever just buy 30x Grimghasts, spend the last week building and painting them? :( I'm so sad haha. They could have bene Bladegheists.

Just ordered 20 grimghasts, not sad about it.  Crimson doom, & to a lesser extent quicksilver dead, are definitely the big winners in the new matched play season, and I'm absolutely happy for them.  For my armies though I still prefer diversity over single unit spam and multiple build options over monobuild auto-selections.  Crimson Doom are cool as heck, but I'd get bored painting and playing so much of the same unit.

I'll still be running emerald host and/or grieving legion in the new season, when I'm not playing Gravelords, so bladegheists aren't battleline for me, so they don't benefit from the new over the shoulder attacks, so they're still hobbled by the 3e coherency rules.

Hopefully over the shoulder attacks become a standard thing going forward, battleline or no, so I can make use of the one or two units of bladegheists I'd otherwise like to mix into an army of other stuff.

Edited by Sception

Ya. The Vets rule certainly forces you to specialize.

I was hoping to run at least 1 unit of Dreadscythe or BGR in my Emerald Host but now they'll have to be taken in their respective processions for maximum effect.

Remember when Nagash and 90 GGR was a common list?

On 6/15/2022 at 9:00 PM, EnixLHQ said:

Off topic, but Q for the masses.

Does Nagash's Supreme Lord of the Undead work with Rally?

I'm getting votes on both sides of the argument. Rally is a (command) ability that returns slain models, and SLotU triggers "when you use an ability that returns models to a Death unit." And if it does work, would it be that if you happened to get only one 6+ to return a model to a unit that had several missing you get a free one even if that model's roll was less? Can you re-roll any of the dice that didn't make the cut for another chance since they are individual rolls? Or not since that roll doesn't determine an amount of return, only IF a return?

Thoughts?

Yes it triggers. Even if you don't roll any 6s you get a model back, as the act of rolling the Rally dice is using an ability that returns models to a Death unit.

You can't re-roll the dice used for the rally, as those dice are not determining the number brought back, simply each roll is a yes/no check.

• Thanks 1

Not specifically NH but does anyone know the full rules for the battalion that gives +1 damage against battle line (veterans)?  What's the selection requirements and is it for one round or the whole battalion for the whole game?

Given that this new meta will lean heavily into battle line hoards it seems potentially really powerful. Every army must bring battle line so you'll always get value from it.

2 hours ago, Rors said:

Not specifically NH but does anyone know the full rules for the battalion that gives +1 damage against battle line (veterans)?  What's the selection requirements and is it for one round or the whole battalion for the whole game?

Given that this new meta will lean heavily into battle line hoards it seems potentially really powerful. Every army must bring battle line so you'll always get value from it.

It's a battalion, up to 3 units of troops/infantry and it's a flat +1 dmg for attacks made against Veterans... It's actually kind of nuts because it, as currently reads, is +1 dmg to shooting and melee attacks including mounts. 

I actually think it's huge deal and is a big problem for NH that you'll have to figure out. Some units, like gorgruntas, will be able to do absurd dmg to Veteran units, like Bladegheists. Kind of nuts. 

It makes hexwraiths more interesting. They are the one battleline unit in the book that doesn't have to be Veterans. 

47 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

I actually think it's huge deal and is a big problem for NH that you'll have to figure out.

Krulghast Cruciator

As a matter of fact, I think it's a huge problem for a multitude of armies. Nighthaunt specifically not being one of them. With the Krulghast and a very great mounted battleline option we have probably the most tools to counter it

Edited by The_Dudemeister

7 hours ago, Vastus said:

Love it mate. One small correction: you repeatedly mention MoM giving a +1 to casting/unbinding/dispelling, but it's a re-roll to one roll.

5 hours ago, Ranzou said:

And lastly, knowing no range or boundary, she can issue her own Command Ability, No Rest For the Wicked

This is not a command ability.

Darn, missed both of those while reading it over! 

1 hour ago, Warbossironteef said:

It's a battalion, up to 3 units of troops/infantry and it's a flat +1 dmg for attacks made against Veterans... It's actually kind of nuts because it, as currently reads, is +1 dmg to shooting and melee attacks including mounts.

Images are leaked, it specifies melee weapons only.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vastus said:

Love it mate. One small correction: you repeatedly mention MoM giving a +1 to casting/unbinding/dispelling, but it's a re-roll to one roll.

1 hour ago, dmorley21 said:

Darn, missed both of those while reading it over! 

So this isn't true?

1202539723_Screenshot_20220617-082100_WHAoS.png.6327f1b4d8dc31c104d7cecdf0d37223.png

12 minutes ago, dmorley21 said:

Where’d you pull that from? This is what I see:

862E7408-1DAD-4659-8FDF-3355AF297C98.png

Straight from the app on Android. Force closed it and reopened it just to be sure, and checked for updates.

EDIT: There's two! And neither tell me their source when I go into them, but one is a +1 and the other a re-roll.

EDIT 2: Quick online search tells me the +1 is a Skaven command trait of the same name. Methinks the Android app needs some love in the design department. I'll fix that later.

1249510434_Screenshot_20220617-083224_WHAoS.png.ca3d80726e276aeb198e1bb6de80ddfa.png

Edited by EnixLHQ
  • Haha 1

Pictures of the two new battalions have been leaked.

Oh boy, there's no mention anywhere that the +1 damage to Galletian Veterans-Battalion has to be filled with GVs themselves.

If so, it means we can happily put our Hexwraiths in there to absolutely murderkill unmounted battleline under 5 wounds. Meanwhile Bladegheists etc go into the battalion that makes each model count as 3 and will be accompanied by a Krulghast.

As already mentioned, we make out like a bandit here. But there are many armies without any options at all. Neither to mitigate damage nor to go to mounted or very huge battlelines etc. I thought this season was supposed to encourage horde armies. But this battalion singlehandedly will keep them all out of play except for the armies that have to take them as a tax.

9 hours ago, Vastus said:

7 hours ago, Ranzou said:

And lastly, knowing no range or boundary, she can issue her own Command Ability, No Rest For the Wicked

This is not a command ability.

Updates made. Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming!

16 minutes ago, The_Dudemeister said:

As already mentioned, we make out like a bandit here. But there are many armies without any options at all. Neither to mitigate damage nor to go to mounted or very huge battlelines etc. I thought this season was supposed to encourage horde armies. But this battalion singlehandedly will keep them all out of play except for the armies that have to take them as a tax.

Yeah, I agree. NH will love this. But my Blades of Khorne are weeping. Same with my Gloomspite Gitz. Giving every army out there essentially "+1 dmg vs hordes" is just nonsense. What good does it do that 60 Stabbas could count as 180 models on an objective if everyone and their mother deal 2 or more damage per swing to them? Hordes will now evaporate even faster, without having gained any meaningful way of doing what they are supposed to: boardcontrol and holding objectives. 

39 minutes ago, The_Dudemeister said:

Oh boy, there's no mention anywhere that the +1 damage to Galletian Veterans-Battalion has to be filled with GVs themselves.

If so, it means we can happily put our Hexwraiths in there to absolutely murderkill unmounted battleline under 5 wounds. Meanwhile Bladegheists etc go into the battalion that makes each model count as 3 and will be accompanied by a Krulghast.

Do mounts count as melee weapons and gain +1D as well?

1 hour ago, The_Dudemeister said:

I actually think I might put Bladegheists in as bounty hunters and just murder everything else.

Maybe take 2 x 10 chainrasps to count as 30.