AoS3 - Kruleboyz Discussion

Newtype_Zero

1 hour ago, Sivyre said:

I was expecting a little more spell prowess, not necessarily comparable to the lord of change that this fella bested. But at least a stronger profile than what was released. I thought for sure they would get at least +1 to casting/unbinding (though maybe still possible?) with 2 spells to cast I’m worried we’re going to see GW in it’s all mighty wisdom dull out a 1 unbind :/ 

maybe I was wrong to jump to the conclusion that gobsprakk bested a lord of change through spells but as it is now he had done it with his staff 🤣 

I’m hoping that the full warscroll will be more enticing as we still yet to see the full combat profile and perhaps abilities/command abilities.

It would be really funny (not in a happy way) if the epitome of cunning is better at smashing... I believe he will have more abilities that could be more shiny, at least what we saw today isn't bad. Not knowing the number of unbinds isn't necessarily a bad thin, he can end with 2 casts and with 3/4 unbinds!

1 hour ago, HostilSpike said:

It does seem a bit weird for a named character to have the same Warscroll Spell as a generic Wizard right? 

While it may seen uninspiring to give both the same spell, lets not forget that the Swampcalla has to give up casting to be able to give a salve/poison to another unit. Since he is a double caster wizard it gives a way to have the spell one even if all the Swampcallas are distributing some concoctions.

Would like to hear anyone's thoughts about a possbile waagh! chart for the faction (Kruleboyz) that could enable you to out maneuver opponents. or prevent attrition wars instead of flat damage increase? 

This is purely theory crafting and speculation of a concept idea.

What benefits could be applied?

How do you get points?

When should they be used?

Do you lose them somehow? 

35 minutes ago, Blood0Tiger said:

Would like to hear anyone's thoughts about a possbile waagh! chart for the faction (Kruleboyz) that could enable you to out maneuver opponents. or prevent attrition wars instead of flat damage increase? 

This is purely theory crafting and speculation of a concept idea.

What benefits could be applied?

How do you get points?

When should they be used?

Do you lose them somehow? 

I don’t know about all that too soon to really delve into the topic without a book or even knowing the points for the range of models.

All I know is I’m pondering the idea running big waaaagh! With potentially using gordrakk on mawkrusha, maybe gore gruntas to have access to cav and likely to try and include wardokk and wurrgog prophet but all this is subject to change depending what the point cost are for the kruleboyz models. Like most I look to include the vulture and if the model has a good rule set I’ll gladly make cuts to fit it into a list 

Edited by Sivyre

4 minutes ago, Sivyre said:

I don’t know about all that too soon to really delve into the topic without a book or even knowing the points for the range of models.

All I know is I’m pondering the idea running big waaaagh! With potentially using gordrakk on mawkrusha, maybe gore gruntas to have access to cav and likely to try and include wardokk and wurrgog prophet but all this is subject to change depending what the point cost are for the kruleboyz models. Like most I look to include the vulture.

Nothing serious. Just want random ideas people may have in their heads, doesn't need to be anything substantial in design or balance intentions. 

5 minutes ago, Blood0Tiger said:

Nothing serious. Just want random ideas people may have in their heads, doesn't need to be anything substantial in design or balance intentions. 

What about yourself? Have you pondered what you might try?

2 minutes ago, Sivyre said:

What about yourself? Have you pondered what you might try?

I have thought about a few charts, however I am at an impasse for obtainment and if they deserve to be stripped of points at the end of each turn or if they may keep them.

I could see each unit granting X points between the varied unit sizes to stabilize the option of running more or fewer models.

I've mostly considered my homebrew faction rules for them to perform fine without it, but I do like the concept of a different kind of waagh! the denizens of the wetlands unleash. Not focused about getting units right into combat head first is a good start for Mork flavored fungi 

11 hours ago, C0deb1ue said:

funny how they specifically don't mention how many unbinds he has... ill lol if it's one.

Funny! Yeah. I was thinking the same. These previews are done by people who clearly don't even play the game.

I will pre-order and hope you are wrong!

10 minutes ago, Boggler said:

Funny! Yeah. I was thinking the same. These previews are done by people who clearly don't even play the game.

I will pre-order and hope you are wrong!

I honestly think it'd be difficult to give him more then 2 because any unbind is d3 wounds. Honestly even if he has 1 with his unbind ability that's fine because he can randomly delete casters with a lucky rolls. I think giving him +1 to unbind makes it too easy to hit the 10+ for d6 damage. As much as we want a great caster I bet sadly he will be kunnin and brutal as more of a battle caster with likely 1 unbind.

Lools like focussing on shooting or monsters will be the way to go for a pure Kruleboyz list, because Gutrippaz and Hobgrotz won't cut it if the Swampcallah gets unbound. 

Awesome minis though, and weirdly enpough Kruleboyz and their place as part of Warclans got me interested in Ironjawz. 😅

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sivyre said:

Because true off my chest I am disappointed.

I was expecting a little more spell prowess, not necessarily comparable to the lord of change that this fella bested. But at least a stronger profile than what was released. I thought for sure they would get at least +1 to casting/unbinding (though maybe still possible?) with 2 spells to cast I’m worried we’re going to see GW in it’s all mighty wisdom dull out a 1 unbind :/ 

maybe I was wrong to jump to the conclusion that gobsprakk bested a lord of change through spells but as it is now he had done it with his staff 🤣 

I’m hoping that the full warscroll will be more enticing as we still yet to see the full combat profile and perhaps abilities/command abilities.

I think we all need to recalibrate our expectations of what is a good wizard in AoS. With the releases of Seraphon, Tzeentch and Lumineth, I think it's easy to come to expect every good wizard to be like 3 casts and at least +2 or something. But really, that does not reflect what most armies have access to.

2 casts, +1 to cast seems to be the standard for good wizards, plus some kind of magic-related gimmick if they are supposed to be mainly casters. Casters of this level can definitely still compete quite well in the magic phase against most armies that don't bring a mega-caster.

If Gobsprakk ends up at 2 casts, 2 unbinds, +1 to cast with his gimmick of being good at unbinding and dealing damage on unbinds, he honestly meets the standards of what makes a strong wizard.

I think he might end up kinda like the Mortarchs: A competent two cast wizard that can also be quite fighty. Depending on what other rules he gets, that could be pretty cool.

11 hours ago, HostilSpike said:

It does seem a bit weird for a named character to have the same Warscroll Spell as a generic Wizard right? 

It's a bit weird, but I guess since there is no option for a generic mounted Swampcalla it kinda makes sense that way.

• Like 1

Honestly, while I love the KB aesthetic I'm disappointed we've not actually seen any more units for them. Hobgrots not being Battleline seems like an oversight, but without the book we don't know. Then there's the Gutrippaz and the Boltboyz, both are cool but you'll be forced into Yellers if you want a variety of Battleline. It's possible that our variety may come from Big Waaagh but it seems a missed opportunity that the hallmark release of a new edition is but a small subfaction into a bigger tome, especially with all the advertising hype about them being their own playable army. 

I'm still interested in them and am having fun painting, but I'll just grab the book rather than ordering everything day 1 as I want to see what the army will look like and how I can get in the stuff I want and make it work as an army, ideally as pure KB but if I had to add IJ in, I do love some Gore-Gruntas, I'll want to make sure that Big Waaagh works rather than losing cool stuff because you're forced to soup in some other units just to make a workable army. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

If Gobsprakk ends up at 2 casts, 2 unbinds, +1 to cast with his gimmick of being good at unbinding and dealing damage on unbinds, he honestly meets the standards of what makes a strong wizard.

And add Arcane Tome from Universal Artifacts and he can cast 3 spells. I like it. 

12 minutes ago, zombiepiratexxx said:

Stormcast dragons are up on WarCom, the Wizard one can get +3 to cast apparently......... they better be a lot more expensive than Gobsprakk,. 

Yeah his innate +3 on a casting value 9 for his spell that has a ton of utility is quite good.

26 minutes ago, zombiepiratexxx said:

Stormcast dragons are up on WarCom, the Wizard one can get +3 to cast apparently......... they better be a lot more expensive than Gobsprakk,. 

Just throwing a side note that it does say "up to 3" meaning it could be based on a roll or some other cumulative effect. Depending on the situation it could alot more variable then we know. I understand the want to feel we are shafted in this but we don't know the full rules yet.

Sorry @ zombiepirate I'm not trying to call out your post it was the most relevant for my response.

1 hour ago, zombiepiratexxx said:

They look like they will be "god models", to be honest. I definitely see them at around Mega-Gargant points (so 500+) at the very least, while I could imagine Gobsprakk at ~300 or so easily.

1 hour ago, P.T.Bahnum said:

Just throwing a side note that it does say "up to 3" meaning it could be based on a roll or some other cumulative effect. Depending on the situation it could alot more variable then we know. I understand the want to feel we are shafted in this but we don't know the full rules yet.

I was thinking the cast bonus might be part of the damage table for Krondys.

"Up to 3" actually makes the warscroll spell a lot more shaky. A casting value of 9 is hard to get even at +2 to cast, where it's basically a coin flip.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep

So I've been thinking on hobgrot and the old lore of hobgoblins being mercenary tribes. What are you guys thoughts that they might be closer to a sons of behemat unit and can be mercd into destruction armies? Maybe going a step farther and gaining the allegiance abilities. If that were a thing would they be useful then or still useless?

1 hour ago, P.T.Bahnum said:

So I've been thinking on hobgrot and the old lore of hobgoblins being mercenary tribes. What are you guys thoughts that they might be closer to a sons of behemat unit and can be mercd into destruction armies? Maybe going a step farther and gaining the allegiance abilities. If that were a thing would they be useful then or still useless?

They would sadly not benefit much considering GW wants to push the race keyword mechanics still. Orruk keyword is fairly important if you want the venom damage.

2-3 units and it would have been workable.

Could make a wetland gargant themed force with supporting hobgrot units and various tactics themed around the gargants lasting long enough to do some work. 

Edited by Blood0Tiger

6 minutes ago, Blood0Tiger said:

They would sadly not benefit much considering GW wants to push the race keyword mechanics still. Orruk keyword is fairly important if you want the venom damage.

2-3 units and it would have been workable.

Could make a wetland gargant themed force with supporting hobgrot units and various tactics themed around the gargants lasting long enough to do some work. 

Rule of cool above all else, first and foremost 

Edited by Blood0Tiger

On 8/9/2021 at 4:14 PM, Swamp Trogg said:

Could Fellwaters Troggoth be the answer? Thinking of it, they fit, both visually (even if not perfectly) and thematically.  They would not even be the first unit to be shared among battletomes (the giant is a prime exemple in this regard).

I would love if we could use them, as it would fit the swamp aesthetic, but I think if this was the case we would have seen them in some photos by now. If we ever get a troggoth unit in a future release, I would be the unit would be similar to a squig herd ( 2 or 3 troggoths and 1 beast-breaka that is "taming" them) rather than the troggoths fight freely.

12 minutes ago, P.T.Bahnum said:

Now moving past hobgrot what do you all think our chances are of getting a sub/subfaction to battleline sloggoths in the army? I mean it's not unheard of? It exists in slaanesh godseekers and seraphon thunderlizards?

I hope we get something like this, would be really cool to have a monster subfaction when near half of our warscrolls are monster. Going by the Ironjawz/Bonesplitterz allegiance, we should get three subfactions. The Skulbugz allegiance they preview works better in monsters, so maybe they will get it? I think the subfaction we don't know yet will focus on the Guttripaz and have the red sheidl color scheme, so doubt it would get them as battleline.

Outside of a subfaction condition they could be battleline if you have a specific hero as your general. The Snatchaboss would be the perfect fit in this case, as the Sloggoth seen to be part of the Gitzsnatcha class.