AoS3 - Soulblight Gravelord Discussion

RuneBrush

7 hours ago, Wordy9th said:

Don't they have to be part of your starting army to count?

Sure, it looks fine. Soulblight bodies with buffing heroes is a great thing. Try to not let all your zombies die in one go and get some buffed attacks off and you should be golden. Looking forward to hearing how it goes. As far as your first 1000 points goes everything in this list is useful and good so well done.

Deathly invocation can be used by both heroes.

Thanks, I'll post back. Still painting and assembling, and will have to wait for some Covid restrictions to lift before a game gets played but hopefully soon.

38 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Okay so what do some peoples Legion of Blood lists look like?

VLOZD - 435 -  Martial - Flaming Weapon - Aura of Dark Majesty - Orb of Enchantment - Foetid Miasma

Mannfred - 380 - Fading Vigour

Vampire Lord - 140 - Martial - Amaranthine Orb - Soulbound Garments

Radukar the Wolf - 150 - Amethystine Pinions

2X Zombies - 230

Dire Wolves - 135

2X Skeletons - 170

Vargheists - 155

Blood Knights - 195

Warlord - VLOZD, Radukar the Wolf, Vampire Lord, Dire Wolves ( +1 CP and Soulbound Garments for Vampire Lord)

Hunters of Heartland: Zombies, Skeletons 

Battle Regiment Rest

Triumph - Inspired

40 minutes ago, Lich King said:

VLOZD - 435 -  Martial - Flaming Weapon - Aura of Dark Majesty - Orb of Enchantment - Foetid Miasma

Mannfred - 380 - Fading Vigour

Vampire Lord - 140 - Martial - Amaranthine Orb - Soulbound Garments

Radukar the Wolf - 150 - Amethystine Pinions

2X Zombies - 230

Dire Wolves - 135

2X Skeletons - 170

Vargheists - 155

Blood Knights - 195

Warlord - VLOZD, Radukar the Wolf, Vampire Lord, Dire Wolves ( +1 CP and Soulbound Garments for Vampire Lord)

Hunters of Heartland: Zombies, Skeletons 

Battle Regiment Rest

Triumph - Inspired

No Neffy? Also I know Skellies are...subpar?..compared to zombies but I want them to work so bad

So, with the prevelance of Stormcast lists shooting up the meta with very strong results the last couple of months (most likely a combination of 6 longstrikes, fulminators and a relictor with some dragons here and there), what are SB players thinking about how to counter it? 

I've recently changed from Vyrkos to LoN to try it out this weekend against such a list, though if anyone has any experiance in how to approach the double shooting castle of doom with charging fulminators, I'd love to hear! Or indeed, share any thoughts you may have.

Thats a tough one. Longstrikes can pop almost every hero in one go while Fulminators can take out hordes in a single charge. The normal answer would be screening but our entire roster is chaff except Blood Knights and heroes. The issue is 5 attacks at 3 dmg each + mount attacks + MWs will clear out anything that isnt 60 Zombies and with 6w and 3+ save before buffs we dont have anything that can kill them on the return swing except for maaaaaybe the VLoZD

10 Grave Guard with greatweapons will kill one, even if the Fulminators are All-Out Defensed, as long as the GG get at least All-Out Attack.

image.png.340099afe73d50d5a536e60ce3a88fad.png

More GG or a bigger buff (such as +1 attack from a Vampire Lord) practically guarantees one dead and can easily start getting close to killing both. Gotta screen for them, but GG are definitely nasty when they get in. This one is 10 with +1 attack from a VL.

image.png.6c8a0cb61ed2bb6f39ca9e03d6e766dd.png

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Thats fair. I think Blood could be good for skelly hordes

I've never really found success with skellies and always wish I brought a different unit instead. That being said, I also don't like the aesthetic so doesn't really bother me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghoooouls said:

I've never really found success with skellies and always wish I brought a different unit instead. That being said, I also don't like the aesthetic so doesn't really bother me.

I've always had a group of 30 of them taking up the middle of the board and screening my big flying boys. With vanhels they've held Archaeon almost the entire game. I think one of the big upsides of soulblight is the amount of bodies to hold objectives and stay in place to allow your other things to move. it's a unit that comes back through two spells and essentially has a 4+ ward (if it doesn't die in one / gets shot). 

Opposite to you however I'm hugely boneboy biased so maybe I'm wrong, but you'll never catch me without 30 skeletons. Over my dead bony body.

2 hours ago, Ghoooouls said:

We can ally in some shooting now with those crossbow ghosts.... wonder what they'll be like

They seem thematically linked with the craven king so you can bet all their goodstuff is linked to him in some way. I'd prefer if they didn't become meta but it would be cool to shoot ghost crossbows at people in soulblight.

4 hours ago, Leshoyadut said:

10 Grave Guard with greatweapons will kill one, even if the Fulminators are All-Out Defensed, as long as the GG get at least All-Out Attack.

More GG or a bigger buff (such as +1 attack from a Vampire Lord) practically guarantees one dead and can easily start getting close to killing both. Gotta screen for them, but GG are definitely nasty when they get in. This one is 10 with +1 attack from a VL.

Sure, the challenge is of course getting them in appropriately. If you hit them with the Vlozd and graveguard I think those are good options to take them out, all these stats do ignore the most important brain melting factor of trying to figure how to actually move your undead boys into posistion well enough and not just get charged with 20 +3 damage attacks. That's a lotta damage.

5 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Thats a tough one. Longstrikes can pop almost every hero in one go while Fulminators can take out hordes in a single charge. The normal answer would be screening but our entire roster is chaff except Blood Knights and heroes. The issue is 5 attacks at 3 dmg each + mount attacks + MWs will clear out anything that isnt 60 Zombies and with 6w and 3+ save before buffs we dont have anything that can kill them on the return swing except for maaaaaybe the VLoZD

Yeah the Longstrikes are what makes Legion of Night so tempting. Having all the key pieces off the board and a Vlozd that can come in on the table edge needing only a 7 to charge is probably my go to right now. Testing it this weekend though!

Yea I often play against quite heavy magic/shooting armies and I've tried around 5 games using skellies, sometimes 30x sometimes 20, and they just melt to shooting and magic then impact hits and abilities. I think I'd take them if their ability made them come back from the dead, rather than just from that combat phase, but I can see how they could be decent maybe I've just had super bad luck, I always roll below 4s as well...

I go for zombs due to the danger they impose with the mortal output and the 6 inch pile in, they can whiff so easily but no one wants to be within 6 of them so they're a super effective screen. I had 2x units of 20 hold off kragnos (and deal 6 mortals to him) across a couple of turns which was long enough to kill him, and you've had 30 skellies hold off archaon, so maybe they are both viable picks!

The thing I love about zombs (other than their aesthetic), is they have the ability to be really deadly, but are still cheap chaff screens. If you really wanted you could even van hels them and with a vampire +1 attack in your own turn + your opponents turn and they'd be 3x attacks each attacking twice so (assuming none died) you'd have 20 zombies doing 120 attacks in one combat phase. That's pretty damn good for 115 points and a couple of easy buffs - an average of 20(?) Mortal wounds I think from a chaff cheap unit, whilst your opponent also has to worry about blood knights, dragons, grave guard etc. Much harder to play around than a blob of slightly tankier skeletons that don't do damage.

What's your opinion on dire wolves in place of skeletons? For 30 wounds of skeletons you're looking at almost the same price as 40 wounds of dire wolves, same save, almost 3x quicker, bigger board presence, can be 2 different units to go after different areas of the board and screen more, much better in combat, imo harder to play around, but again the main thing is looks in my opinion, if you don't like the style/look of models then why use them! It's all just dice rolls at the end of the day :)

One thing is for sure - we have a hell of a lot of choice in Soulblight and I love it - its nice to be able to debate different viable battleline.

Edited by Ghoooouls
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

plainly better. You get a fast unit with a lot of wounds and a 5+ save that can be revived. Their footprint can allow you to cover more space as well.
I love my doggos!

I'm the same, bloody love the wolves. I've got 10 of the 40k ones painted up (literally just sprayed black or brown, drybrushed dark grey and then light grey and painted their eyes, then did their bases to match my scheme) and they look great. Not a touch on the new models though, I have a unit of them painted up too and they're sooooooo cool. Need to get another unit so I can run 2x10 and have 10 for summoning.

Edit - pic of a recent battle with radukar and his boys moving up

IMG-20220122-WA0015.jpg

Edited by Ghoooouls
  • Like 3

Wolves are amazing absolutely, the reason I tend not to take them is model count and points. I have 20 of them and I love the paint jobs I've given them. 

I want skeletons as 30 (not 20, or I'd take something else) because with buffs they reach a certain defensive 'break point' level ie: I pick them if I want a chaff unit to be able to survive a turn with a hammer and potentially come back. They also add synergistic value for taking a necromancer which I love. Also, for objectives 85 points for ten models can go a long way when summoned in, or 20 models for 115 in the case of zombies. 135 for ten models usually isn't doing what I want them to do in my lists - but then again, that's a list issue for me not a unit one. 

On the face of it 20 wolves for 270 does sound like a great deal and I may have to try it at some point, but usually I don't have those extra points to spare, and its really nice to know that 30 models on one objective means that something is most definitely under your control at some point in the battle.

Edited by Wordy9th
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Leshoyadut said:

I like how your assuming your GG survive a charge from Fulminators cuz those GG sure as hell wont be the ones charging first

3 hours ago, Wordy9th said:

Wolves are amazing absolutely, the reason I tend not to take them is model count and points. I have 20 of them and I love the paint jobs I've given them. 

I want skeletons as 30 (not 20, or I'd take something else) because with buffs they reach a certain defensive 'break point' level ie: I pick them if I want a chaff unit to be able to survive a turn with a hammer and potentially come back. They also add synergistic value for taking a necromancer which I love. Also, for objectives 85 points for ten models can go a long way when summoned in, or 20 models for 115 in the case of zombies. 135 for ten models usually isn't doing what I want them to do in my lists - but then again, that's a list issue for me not a unit one. 

On the face of it 20 wolves for 270 does sound like a great deal and I may have to try it at some point, but usually I don't have those extra points to spare, and its really nice to know that 30 models on one objective means that something is most definitely under your control at some point in the battle.

They do much better in Vyrkos where Bella can basically summon more and Chadukar can summon a whole unit. Combine that with 3 units for battleline and you got a super mobile force of the goodest undead bois

5 hours ago, Malakithe said:

I like how your assuming your GG survive a charge from Fulminators cuz those GG sure as hell wont be the ones charging first

I didn't, actually. I specifically said "you have to screen for them". You can also have a block of 30 if you go with a WK general, which will on average survive with 13 left from a Fulminator charge given AOA on the Fulminators and a 5+/6++ save on the GG with no AOD or Mystic Shield.

image.png.0cc7ffd6fa0a3b55ea115448d276637a.png

Invigorating Aura + Deathly Invocation gets you at least 4 back, but on average 5. Let's just assume 4. With just AOA on the GG and no AOD on the Fulminators since they just used AOA, themselves, you comfortably kill both in response.

image.png.1b18e5f1d64caf13c7251a8fae0a25d6.png

This is also true if you just use Deathly Invocation (average 2 back) on them and cast a different spell or IA doesn't go off, but you still get a VL command on them instead of AOA.

image.png.97ffe8194a6152dc78d9383ea8b0c41d.png

If you get just Deathly Invocation (average 2 back) and AOA with no VL command ability, no Mystic Shield before the Fulminators charge, and no other spells benefiting the GG, you are also quite comfortably killing both with no AOD.

image.png.a85212c570236f10647b83ad77fab1a1.png

Note also that all of these situations but the last one have the GG killing both Fulminators comfortably even if they have Mystic Shield or some other source of +1 save, and the final situation kills them on average, which is definitely not a guarantee, but still decent. Also keep in mind that the original 10 will also kill the Fulminators on average with AOA on the GG and no +1 save for the Fulminators, so even if the Fulminators do more than average damage and you get no regen on the GG, the GG still have a good shot in return.

Now, again, the GG need screening if they're going to kill the Fulminators in anything less than a block of 30. Even if they are a block of 30, they need some protection from shooting if they're not being screened and taking the charge from the Fulminators. Hopefully, though, you have some other threats on the field that are taking some pressure off of your GG during all of this. Bats on the backline, some dire wolves either on the backline or taking a charge, a unit of 10 Skellies just taking a charge, heroes taking shooting instead of your GG, Blood Knights taking shots and/or charging in to tie things up before your GG get in, something.

Edited by Leshoyadut
Wording.
  • Like 1

And relying on GG to make a 9" charge out of the Graveyard is... a longshot, even with rerolls.  I try to leave my GG in the grave for a flank charge over time, but then you have plan for zoning, have a reroll prepared for the charge (command point or command trait), preferably have access to Chronomatic cogs... it is a lot of things to have to go right for a charge out of the Grave.

I have had a lot of luck in our local meta with a block of 30 skeletons, supported with a necromancer (Danse) and Vamp Lord (mystic shield) on foot.  I think people tend to forget that they hit on 3's wound on 4's, and if your playing Vrykos they wound on 3's with that vamp lord nearby. Toss in the vamp lords command ability and suddenly all 30 models are +1 attack (so 60A @ 3+ 3+), not bad.  I've had quite a few opponents underestimate them and lose large pricy models to that swarm of regenerating skeletons. Also at 30, they are really hard to move if your opponent doesn't have a lot of spells/shooting. 

The more games I play with my army the more I think leaning into our strengths is where I want to go. The hard part about this is that AOS3 is monster driven. I love my ZombieDragons but I honestly think board control and objective play is the way this army wins games.

200 wounds. Wolves to tarpit and control mid board, recurring zombies to jump on objectives, Blood Knights to be mobile anvils, and Coven Throne to move around and buff Blood Knights, Wolves and GraveGuard. It has just enough punch to kill some stuff but it's true strength is playing the missions and getting on objectives. I wish the Coven Throne looked as cool as my VLOZD....

Allegiance: Soulblight Gravelords
- Lineage: Vyrkos Dynasty
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
LEADERS
Coven Throne (290)
- General
- Command Trait: Pack Alpha
- Artefact: Arcane Tome
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
Belladamma Volga, First of the Vyrkos (200)
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
Gorslav the Gravekeeper (75)
UNITS
5 x Blood Knights (195)
5 x Blood Knights (195)
30 x Dire Wolves (405)
20 x Grave Guard (280)
20 x Deadwalker Zombies (115)
TOTAL: 1985/2000 WOUNDS: 198

• Like 2