Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

Just now, Aren73 said:

GW messes with the Lumineth release during a global pandemic and suddenly everyone thinks we are getting 10 books and 20 waves of models for every release ;) 

who said anything about 10 and 20? I think a 3.0 book and filling in of obvious model gaps with a second wave is not over reaching.

Regardless of the pandemic, GW has shown they can and will split releases.

3 minutes ago, Aren73 said:

GW messes with the Lumineth release during a global pandemic and suddenly everyone thinks we are getting 10 books and 20 waves of models for every release ;) 

you really think the LRL double release wasn't planned from the beginning? You really think it is not becoming a new release schedule for new factions and we are not getting more stuff down the road?  

LRL have 50% of their range out at this point, they are missing their second God and 2 other temples. 

• Thanks 2

Vai looks a little small for her price, but I was already planning on using that alternate build torso for something else, so I'll just tell myself it's essentially two models.

I think I'm most excited about the lore. The LoN tome was a little weak on vampire-specific information since they were only a small part of it, but now that they're center-stage we should get a lot more juicy information.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Aren73 said:

Books are printed too far in advance for the Lumineth situation to have been an accident. For whatever reason, GW decided to split their release into two (likely to be even more) releases. They couldn't drop those models without a book and so we ended up with half a faction and a tome with fluff written for twice the amount of stuff that actually existed.

2 minutes ago, Verminlord said:

who said anything about 10 and 20? I think a 3.0 book and filling in of obvious model gaps with a second wave is not over reaching.

Regardless of the pandemic, GW has shown they can and will split releases.

Just a tongue in cheek joke, don't worry. 

1 minute ago, Feii said:

you really think the LRL double release wasn't planned from the beginning? You really think it is not becoming a new release schedule for new factions and we are not getting more stuff down the road?  

LRL have 50% of their range out at this point, they are missing their second God and 2 other temples. 

No I don't think it's becoming the norm. Not at all. 

The Lumineth scenario was unique. It was during the pandemic which messed with the order of releases, lined up with Broken Realms Teclis and it made a lot of Lumineth players unhappy - it won't be repeated any time soon. 

Even if it was pre-planned before they were aware of any production issues (and if we're talking China, they would have occurred over a year and a half ago) I doubt it will be a new release format. 

Just now, KriticalKhan said:

Books are printed too far in advance for the Lumineth situation to have been an accident. For whatever reason, GW decided to split their release into two (likely to be even more) releases. They couldn't drop those models without a book and so we ended up with half a faction and a tome with fluff written for twice the amount of stuff that actually existed.

it makes kinda sense. They have become so good at making miniatures that they have most likely envisioned and sculpted the whole Teclis LRL release at the same time so the release woould be 20+ warscrolls at the same time but financially people just don't have that kind of money. 

Imagine if they released 20 soublbight new gravelords. Some people would just buy 30 blood knights or the vampiretaur and some zombie dragons as a battleline and that's it. This way people buy those armies and when they are already invested in 2k point and they see new shiny things in 1 years time they will spend more money on the army. 

One thing that really makes me angry is how out of touch the GW is. IF you just told us that next year we will get more models fine eveybody is happier. (mostly) People aren't not buying Strixhaven boosters/singles for MTG because they know they are getting Innistrad next year.... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Aren73 said:

Just a tongue in cheek joke, don't worry. 

No I don't think it's becoming the norm. Not at all. 

The Lumineth scenario was unique. It was during the pandemic which messed with the order of releases, lined up with Broken Realms Teclis and it made a lot of Lumineth players unhappy - it won't be repeated any time soon. 

Even if it was pre-planned before they were aware of any production issues (and if we're talking China, they would have occurred over a year and a half ago) I doubt it will be a new release format. 

See KriticalKhans post. And seeing how far cursed city got pushed back, SbG was likely finished before they got backlash from Lumineth. Furthermore, if it makes them more money, that is what they will do.

Edited by Verminlord

How far in advance do you think the books are printed? 2 years? 3 years? Before 2nd ed.? 

I mean correct me if I'm wrong but I very much doubt the Lumineth books were printed pre December 2019. 

I've heard so many "if it makes GW money, they will ****** the fans" conspiracy theories by this point that I can't help thinking this sounds along those lines. 

I would kinda prefer if big releases were split to be fair. You can save up money for the second half. IF they start printing books in the EU/UK they will have time to "FIX" the books in between yearly releases. I am sure that will be used to correct unexpected mistakes that an FaQ couldnt fix instead of just making the first book OP and the second one nerfing it (big S) 

23 minutes ago, Aren73 said:

How far in advance do you think the books are printed? 2 years? 3 years? Before 2nd ed.? 

I mean correct me if I'm wrong but I very much doubt the Lumineth books were printed pre December 2019. 

I've heard so many "if it makes GW money, they will ****** the fans" conspiracy theories by this point that I can't help thinking this sounds along those lines. 

They're ready and printed about 6 months before release, If I'm remembering the specifics right. They went into some detail back when the Sylvaneth book got delayed and during some kerfluffle with one of the GHBs that I can't remember.

• Thanks 1

Hope That the Blodline with Bloodknights or the one with Terrorgheist will be competitive. I really like that elite Army style. Also i think we will get additional Allegiance abilitys inside the Bloodlines.

Edited by Erdemo86
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, pixieproxy said:

I'd like to point out that almost EVERY tome in 2.0 after Soul Wars has Wholly within, including the new Lumineth and DoK books. It's a change in the style of the game, not the bin writer

thank you for reigning in the inevitable salt x

• Like 4

3 hours ago, pixieproxy said:

I'd like to point out that almost EVERY tome in 2.0 after Soul Wars has Wholly within, including the new Lumineth and DoK books. It's a change in the style of the game, not the bin writer

I might sound overly positive on this one, but personally I don't see this as a huge nerf. I mean, your heroes all still get the 6+ FNP and big blocks of infantry are probably worth sending a hero along to babysit them. Make those Necromancers do some work for a change. Plus you get the bonus from gravesites, too, and a 12" bubble is still pretty big. I guess we will see how big of a difference this is for actual play.

• Like 2

I'm just gonna say it, I dont think we could have wished for anything better. We have really landed ourselves an absolutely awesome reimagining of our faction. Stunning new models and the new rules IMHO are just what we needed. I am proper stoked, and couldnt give a rats fig about the Gdub capitalist conspiracy theories to do with book splitting. Bring me toys. 

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

I’m the big army picture in the WarCom article today, there’s a mini standing between a necromancer and some zombies, he’s leaning over a green puddle and stirring it. Does anyone recognize this model?

Edit: after more squinting what I thought was a puddle or cauldron could just be a tuft of grass…

E54E9666-9DFE-40B8-A1AE-5E448D7EFB67.png

Edited by Pvarron

15 minutes ago, Pvarron said:

I’m the big army picture in the WarCom article today, there’s a mini standing between a necromancer and some zombies, he’s leaning over a green puddle and stirring it. Does anyone recognize this model?

Edit: after more squinting what I thought was a puddle or cauldron could just be a tuft of grass…

E54E9666-9DFE-40B8-A1AE-5E448D7EFB67.png

Zombie leaning over a tuff of grass IMO.

Hm, well, I admit, I was a little uncertain about this being SO close to Legions of Nagash. BUT, the more I dig through the specific changes, the more I like it. 

The major things, like Zombie Dragon battleline and the Vykros having multiple generals (I assume like the Slaanesh sub-faction, which I love) are awesome and fall right into what I am looking for. I legit wanted a Zombie Dragon heavy army originally, and it was a reason I got into FEC in the first place. I have sold off my FEC and even chunks of my Legions of Nagash, so this is kind of the time to re consolidate and reconsider... But...with what? 

Obviously there is a LOT more to check out here, but even if this is a retweak of LON that bumps up the overall power of warscrolls and such, that is not a BAD thing, not at all. Wholly Within and is perfectly fine, I've used it with big blocks in Cities of Sigmar and I have no real issues. 

The real question at this moment is how "fast" do I want this army. Not in the army speed, but how quickly I build it up. lol I will likely start with painting and setting up what I do have and then considering the current Start Collectings still on my local shop's shelves. 

What do people think of the current Start Collectings? None of them work 100% barring some 1/4 allying in of Nighthaunt or FEC. But we can get Zombie Dragon/Varghests in one, Coven Throne/Black Knights in another, and the best is the Mortarch, Skellies, and Black Knights for the third.

Tempted by the third one, but uncertain of how much I care for Neferata (Mannfred will get none of my respect lol) and Arkhan might be a fun bit for a Necromancer or Wight King. But I have 10 sword and board skellies and 10 Cursed City skellies...so another 10 would be 30 and I am pretty sure that "odd" number will end up being worthless. RIP... 

5 hours ago, Sception said:

The mortis engine rider has never been a necromancer in the past.  It would be cool if he was one going forward, I've often said I'd like to see a caster hero version of the mortis engine.  But as it is, no.

That said, while I don't think they've been specifically shown, necromancers have been mentioned a few times in SG promortional material, and the new book is confirmed to maintain a whole separate lore for Deathmages, so shown or not they've effectively confirmed regardless.

I had to double check, because I SWORE Mortis Engines were a mount option for Lord Necromancers in Fantasy, but nope... That is...such a weird thing. I have no idea why, it would fit PERFECTLY!

But Corpse Carts COULD be mounts. Basically, while my focus is on Vampires and Wights, I really do love Necromancers and would also LOVE for them to bring back hero Corpse Carts and even introduce Mortis Engines. Given the expansion with the Blood Palaquin, there is NO reason they cannot. It requires nothing but a small bit to make up a Warscroll. Fingers crossed! 

I don't expect a big necromancer push in this book, not when they're putting so much work into re-establishing the vampyric branding of the overall faction theme.  But necromancer specific subfactions were a thing in some editions of the oldhammer vampire counts, and I hope they look into that as an avenue for expansion and refinement in future exploration of the faction.

Necromancer lords that can ride mortis engines like vampire lords ride zombie dragons, weird flesh-stitched necromantic chimera abominations, etc.

I startd my soulbligth army before know nothng about rules,i wont lie,rules are a part of my purchase target units(as 30% of it).

But the most important are build and display of models and i love the new range if i ignore certain centaur thing...

But i must say i HATE the change to wholy within and that it dont come with a bigger range. As city of sgmar player i can say that it is a BIG chore be all the game triying get units at range.

I wont says as every new rule is a nerf of old rules because we dont know all the tome and it is a new edition but i dont like the wholy within,to me is more unfun have wholy within rules than non competitive rules

If all books are changed to "wholly within" then everyone is playing by the same rules and has the same disadvantage. 

It does add another layer of consideration to your play but that can make the game more rich - it punishes long conga lines for example and stops characters hanging out in the empty middle between units, rather forces them to stick to a unit to give it the buff, kind of like pretending it's part of the unit like back in WHFB. 

'Models within' is still a much superior solution to the problem 'wholly within' was supposed to solve, one that reigns in fish tailing without punishing hoardy factions for being hoardy.  changing to a bad rule for 'consistancy' instead of changing to the good rule that's right there isn't a good move, imo.

Still a pretty minor part of the overall picture though.  I'm not casting judgment on the whole faction, I just don't like that one particular change in isolation.

• Like 4

I didnt said it was non competitive but it is unfun and i would prefer every aura would be changed as the celestial hurricanum to MODELS wholy within,this isnt unfun as have 29 models of a unit of 30 in range and you dont get the buff and also you cant do congas.

Wholy within units is a cancer rule and the most  unfun of aos.

It is only personal opinion and i only have played as 3 tournaments in 5 years so i am not very competitive 

• Like 1