Silent People Speculation

Grim Beasties

Man I love bizarre and original races like this AoS has not a single new and original race in its setting or game on the tabletop that it can call its own. When fantasy made Lizardmen and Skaven it set THE standard on what these races should be like and now it seems like 80% of the time when these races are added to a setting they share a lot of similarities to warhammer fantasy counterparts. 

Now an army of bugmen would certainly put them on the map and they have been done in fantasy settings like Endless legend. AoS needs to make two completely new and bizarre races that have never been done before for me to come back and take it seriously as its own setting as right now its treading a very fine line of warhammer fan service and it feels like none of the new races they made for it get attention.  As it is now while things like KO, IDk, and gloom all earn them some serious points its not enough to make an entire setting as strange as the 9 realms feel real to me and even then they are just dwarves and elves very original takes mind you but still. 

Out there no one cares about AoS as a setting because it feels too close to warhammer fantasy and still does. I'm really hoping GW can summon up an ounce of creativity and come up with two possibly 3 completely never before seen races for AoS. I want to love AoS and really do but it feels like its going way to close to warhammer fantasy and I already have warhammer fantasy I don't need two warhammer fantasies. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

On 3/1/2021 at 8:45 PM, Hashut said:

I like the idea of minor races that never see the tabletop, it adds depth to the world. I’d say that the remnants of the silent people now would be tiny pockets of their culture, more interested in hiding from the much more powerful major races than risking their complete destruction. 

We never saw the fish men that lived near Naggaroth, the Hobgoblin khanate, or the various races of the Far East in the Old World either. 

Having said that, they’d be fun to see in Beastgrave or even Warcry. 

I'm bringing this up for is that people wondered if they could make an Age of Sigmar total war game and everyone laughed at how similar it would be. AoS feels like a spin-off of fantasy. I know the lore makes it very different but visually and even race lore wise there isn't too much difference between ogres from fantasy and ogres here in AoS. Lots of armies suffer from this and while AoS does have unique armies a very very few all too much of them like IDK and KO. On top of that these races all have tiny as heck rosters so even the few AoS specific races like these and fyre slayers could never hope to compete with the legacy factions in the setting and in TWWH3. I made the argument a long time ago these races need fleshing out but ohh boo it was too soon, but now its been a lot longer and Fyre still barely have an army to them. Feels like AoS is releasing too much mini-armies and if it did intend to update the smaller ones it sure seems like it won't. I wouldn't mind new armies if they weren't just spins on old ones like the bone guys being TK, the ghost bed sheets, and all that its been done so much by fantasy and other games. At this point AoS needs to make 2 extremely unique races and then get around to fleshing out the smaller ones for a bit then it can go back to making sigmar versions of old ones for a bit.  

AoS has so much potential, but every year I see it squandered more and more and FW old world game get closer and closer. 

On 3/3/2021 at 1:43 AM, Barkanaut said:

I'm bringing this up for is that people wondered if they could make an Age of Sigmar total war game and everyone laughed at how similar it would be. AoS feels like a spin-off of fantasy. I know the lore makes it very different but visually and even race lore wise there isn't too much difference between ogres from fantasy and ogres here in AoS. Lots of armies suffer from this and while AoS does have unique armies a very very few all too much of them like IDK and KO. On top of that these races all have tiny as heck rosters so even the few AoS specific races like these and fyre slayers could never hope to compete with the legacy factions in the setting and in TWWH3. I made the argument a long time ago these races need fleshing out but ohh boo it was too soon, but now its been a lot longer and Fyre still barely have an army to them. Feels like AoS is releasing too much mini-armies and if it did intend to update the smaller ones it sure seems like it won't. I wouldn't mind new armies if they weren't just spins on old ones like the bone guys being TK, the ghost bed sheets, and all that its been done so much by fantasy and other games. At this point AoS needs to make 2 extremely unique races and then get around to fleshing out the smaller ones for a bit then it can go back to making sigmar versions of old ones for a bit.  

AoS has so much potential, but every year I see it squandered more and more and FW old world game get closer and closer. 

They'll get around to updating these faction eventually. You must be new to wargames if you think every faction can be updated at all times. Also the old world will be resin trash by forge world so who cares

• Like 1

Hello everyone, I'm back with more information and speculation.

First up this excerpt from Direchasm

image.png.39be343547c9a7d965cc0e13f4fe4786.png

A few interesting thing of note from this

1. The Silent People are an Intelligent migratory species that worked in symbiosis with Beastgrave and other Sentient Mountains (likely in Ghur)

2. They are connected to the the cycles of Ghur, bringing the treasures they have amassed into cells, such as the Direchasm to let Amber cover them so that they can pupate

3. The premature awakening of Beastgrave/Direchasm has left them in a Larval stage, forcing them to flee and abandon the relics they have gathered 

The most important facts mentioned about the Silent People that leads me to believe they are Insectoid rather than some human bug enthusiasts, is the life cycle of Larva, Pupa, and as hinted at by the twitching statues and clicking noises, fully grown Silent People. They also seem to share a some aspects, such as migration and mound building, in comin with Ant and Termites

Take a Look Inside a Termite Mound | Termites, Termite control, Termite  treatment

There connection to Amber actually reminds me particularly of the more recently discovered prehistoric Hell Ant.

hell_ant.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Grim Beasties said:

There connection to Amber actually reminds me particularly of the more recently discovered prehistoric Hell Ant.

Good post! Just on the point of the amber thing though: We should not forget that Amber is the realmstone of Ghur, so it's probably not the most significant thing looking at the Silent People specifically. Works really well with the whole insect idea, though.

• Like 1

I went from being very excited about this army to looking at photos of bugs remembering that they make me uncomfortable and now I am starting to regret my excitement... 😅

If they are released and pique my interest I shall go with a quaint Butterfly/Ladybug theme! 🙃

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Haha 3

The Silent People are a cool lore addition, but I can really say I care about the concept of an insectoid army. 

That being said, if GW releases a bug army I expect their players to wear short pants anywhere they go and challenge everyone who makes eye contact with them to play an AoS game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm hoping 1., all the while remembering a lot of social insects have different forms and roles (ants in particular). A myrmicean army would be awesome :D Could still imagine them capturing different kinds of beasts and harnessing them for riding or powering contraptions

EDIT: termites may be more likely as a basis then ants as they are seen as more destructive, plus are associated with massive termite mounds, similar to what Beastgrave may be

Edited by DoctorPerils
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So new thing for the silent people. In the new Ossiarch Bonereaper warband they get a little mention. Specifically that the Bonereapers want them. 

Okay, we were wrong. Sent on a mission by Nagash himself to collect a tithe of bones from the mysterious Silent People, 

It's not much but I'm glad that are getting mentioned even on WH Community.

• Like 3

On 3/8/2021 at 3:26 AM, Cronotekk said:

So if it's bug people what would a potential faction be

1. Army based on a particular bug (ants, bees, etc)

2. Army made up of many different bugs (ant battletine, beetle behemoths)

3. Insect inspired army that isn't clearly any one insect

I want to see a race of actual insect like beings that use lots of various insects for battle. This would be be one of the most unique races to ever get fleshed out in a fantasy setting as getting any sort of bug person is rare but getting them al fleshed out would be great too like their culture would definitely put AoS on the map as a legit setting with its own races that don't exist anywhere else just like the LM and Skaven for fanatsy when released back in the day.  One more race like this a bizarre one and I'll be all happy on bizarre races for awhile lol. 

I'm thinking cthulhu inspired fishmen. Even though its not the most original concept on the planet an army and functioning society of them could be. 
Another weird idea would be a race of rock/crystal/gollum creatures from the realm of metal would be super cool. 

12 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

I want to see a race of actual insect like beings that use lots of various insects for battle. This would be be one of the most unique races to ever get fleshed out in a fantasy setting as getting any sort of bug person is rare but getting them al fleshed out would be great too like their culture would definitely put AoS on the map as a legit setting with its own races that don't exist anywhere else just like the LM and Skaven for fanatsy when released back in the day.  One more race like this a bizarre one and I'll be all happy on bizarre races for awhile lol. 

I'm thinking cthulhu inspired fishmen. Even though its not the most original concept on the planet an army and functioning society of them could be. 
Another weird idea would be a race of rock/crystal/gollum creatures from the realm of metal would be super cool. 

Yeah, these concept are hardly original though.... you got both things in D&D already since the early 90s (sorry,  used to play Dark Sun). Thri-Kreen and Warforged. Or look at say Master of Orion, which got Silicoids. It's kinda impossible to create something completely new.

Not saying that's a valid reason to not make those races but  I'd actualy bet good money on "bugpeople" not being an overtly popular race in a fantasy context. I could of course be 100% wrong but it would be quite the risk to do something so unconventional when GW knows they'll have sure sales with some other stuff (looking at D&D, those first two mentioned races are actually mostly unpopular choices for player characters - which is a shame as they're cool but understandable as they're pretty "alien"). So I really wouldn't expect them to go for that.... it feels like all the talk about the Hrud, an alien race in 40k that has been hinted at and alluded to since 20+ years.... and yet I see no Space Skaven (or whatever else exactly they're supposed to be).

The whole Lovecraftian fishpeople thing could've been cool for Idoneth... instead they're just fishy Aelfs. I hope they'll branch em out.

11 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Yeah, these concept are hardly original though.... you got both things in D&D already since the early 90s (sorry,  used to play Dark Sun). Thri-Kreen and Warforged. Or look at say Master of Orion, which got Silicoids. It's kinda impossible to create something completely new.

Not saying that's a valid reason to not make those races but  I'd actualy bet good money on "bugpeople" not being an overtly popular race in a fantasy context. I could of course be 100% wrong but it would be quite the risk to do something so unconventional when GW knows they'll have sure sales with some other stuff (looking at D&D, those first two mentioned races are actually mostly unpopular choices for player characters - which is a shame as they're cool but understandable as they're pretty "alien"). So I really wouldn't expect them to go for that.... it feels like all the talk about the Hrud, an alien race in 40k that has been hinted at and alluded to since 20+ years.... and yet I see no Space Skaven (or whatever else exactly they're supposed to be).

The whole Lovecraftian fishpeople thing could've been cool for Idoneth... instead they're just fishy Aelfs. I hope they'll branch em out.

I realize bugmen exist but I never really liked Thri-keen I know they do in fact exist but they just seemed like people to me like their culture and ways. Meanwhile Skaven and Lizardmen are both very original in their interrelations of these. Sometimes its not if its never been done before but the combination of everything adding up to make it truly unique its almost impossible to do any sort of original race in terms of looks because its all been done.  The problem is the Thri-Keen were not fleshed out as in depth as they could have been in my opinion like the battle tomes in Sigmar go into so much lore and depth and then the rpg's add to it even more so we get a functioning society for each of these races. It always felt like thri-keen were background race without much depth. 

8 hours ago, Barkanaut said:

I realize bugmen exist but I never really liked Thri-keen I know they do in fact exist but they just seemed like people to me like their culture and ways. Meanwhile Skaven and Lizardmen are both very original in their interrelations of these. Sometimes its not if its never been done before but the combination of everything adding up to make it truly unique its almost impossible to do any sort of original race in terms of looks because its all been done.  The problem is the Thri-Keen were not fleshed out as in depth as they could have been in my opinion like the battle tomes in Sigmar go into so much lore and depth and then the rpg's add to it even more so we get a functioning society for each of these races. It always felt like thri-keen were background race without much depth. 

Thri-Kreen are certainly not "like people". Not that I care but they are pretty alien for all the other races and what they've hinted at is interesting - but you are right, they -as a society- are not fully fleshed out although everything needed to know about them can be found - there's been more lore about them back in the 90s than you'd find in a battletome. Obviously they left some blanks for the benefit of the game as the dungeon master got more freedom that way with the Kreen empire but there is still a lot of info regarding them out there....  Plus they will eat elfs. Hmmm, guess that I suddenly like them more! You might be too young to have much knowledge about 'em as nowadays all the info isn't available anymore...

WOTC really should adapt Dark Sun for 5th. It's their best setting IMO.

It's less bugs being scary/ugly/disgusting and more that many can't identify with them why I worry about a truly alien bug species not selling well. In 40k Nids got the Xenomorph bonus at least... bugs in fantasy don't have such a thing...

How would they play? I love the idea of an unstoppable swarm that devours everything in its path then moves on. Maybe a rule that would mean if you don’t finish off a model in a turn it goes to full wounds in the battleshock phase, like nurglings, to represent the endless swarm. Would they be disciplined or wild uncontrolled? Do we think they would have a hive mind? 

47 minutes ago, Fisher KIng said:

No, but the guy in the video talks about awakening from under the mountain and that his people are all dead. I think it’s a pretty good fit. 

Now the question remains whether the Centaur is one of the "Silent People" or just a misdirection - he at least isn't insectoid at all! So, either he isn't one of the Silent, or Silent aren't insectoids, or the centaur lad has no relation to either Kragnos or the Silent.