Sons of Behemat Discussion 👣

Gareth 🍄

13 hours ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

Does anyone have good links for painting flesh on large models? I’m realizing my techniques might have to change on such huge tracks of land. That and tattoo freehand are gonna be a must to give some nice color breaks. I just don’t have much experience with either.

6 minutes ago, gianmh said:

Guys just wanted to post there is a Sons of Behemat subreddit.

I also am concerned about painting mounds of flesh. Any tips would be great.

The flesh I think will be most people's problem, mine as well. I'm going to start with a Base Layer of Bugmans Glow followed by a Reikland Fleshade wash. Then layers of Cadian Flesh Tone and a highlight of Kislev Flesh.

Just now, KingBrodd said:

The flesh I think will be most people's problem, mine as well. I'm going to start with a Base Layer of Bugmans Glow followed by a Reikland Fleshade wash. Then layers of Cadian Flesh Tone and a highlight of Kislev Flesh.

I for one am going to go with the tried and true method of slapping on some Contrast paint and calling it a day.

• Like 2

If you can find a decent coloured Flesh Primer, you're well and truly set. 

I take a roundabout way with some probably useless steps to get my fleshes done.~

Light-
White Prime
choice of flesh contrast
Wetbrush or Extreme heavy drybrush Cadian Fleshtone
Medium Drybrush Kislev flesh
Light drybrush Pallid Wych flesh

Dark- 
White Prime
Darker Fleshtone Contrast
Extreme drybrush or wetbrush Catachan Flesh
Medium drybrush Knight Questor
Light drybrush Bloodreaver flesh (i can never remember which is the lighter one, this or Knight)

I then recess shade any folds with Aggraxx Earthshade a few times getting more concentrated closer to the folds and sometimes add a little Magos Purple to the fold to show the strain. 

Works for me, the way i've learned to like what i've done. Probably inefficient though.

It's on a much smaller scale but I eventually got my ogors a flesh tone I was happy with.....I'll be trying the same method on my gargants when they turn up

So basically I....

spray them chaos black

base coat the skin with 2 coats of rat skin flesh

Agrax earthshade the skin in one go only ( I used to get loads of pooling because I took too long on this stage and kept applying over dried areas)

Layer all the raised muscles with cadian flesh leaving a 1mm gap where the recesses are (2 watered down coats again for smoothness)

Kislev flesh the most protruding edges and I put a fine line of the stuff next to the dark recesses (this adds depth to the recesses and makes the muscles stand out more)

Finally I use gorthor brown to repair any smudges i get in the recesses and sharpen any recesses that blend into the muscles.

Again these mega gargants will have much bigger areas to deal with but I bet theres gonna be loads of accessories we can use to break up the areas....or as someone mentioned earlier, theres always free hand tattoos 

20201003_171449.jpg

20201003_171528.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 9/28/2020 at 8:27 PM, KingBrodd said:

Cannot wait to see an alternate angle of the Gatebreakers flail to see just how large it is!! Also whatever is strapped to the Warstompers back, I think it's a Ghorgon/Cygor head.

My guess is a stardrake head.....we'll be finding out soon enough  🍻

1 hour ago, Gutlord said:

It's on a much smaller scale but I eventually got my ogors a flesh tone I was happy with.....I'll be trying the same method on my gargants when they turn up

So basically I....

spray them chaos black

base coat the skin with 2 coats of rat skin flesh

Agrax earthshade the skin in one go only ( I used to get loads of pooling because I took too long on this stage and kept applying over dried areas)

Layer all the raised muscles with cadian flesh leaving a 1mm gap where the recesses are (2 watered down coats again for smoothness)

Kislev flesh the most protruding edges and I put a fine line of the stuff next to the dark recesses (this adds depth to the recesses and makes the muscles stand out more)

Finally I use gorthor brown to repair any smudges i get in the recesses and sharpen any recesses that blend into the muscles.

Again these mega gargants will have much bigger areas to deal with but I bet theres gonna be loads of accessories we can use to break up the areas....or as someone mentioned earlier, theres always free hand tattoos 

20201003_171449.jpg

20201003_171528.jpg

This is an amazing colour scheme mate I may have to borrow it!!

30 minutes ago, Gutlord said:

My guess is a stardrake head.....we'll be finding out soon enough  🍻

Oh damn that would be incredible!! Its either a Stardrake or a Cygor.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Riff_Raff_Rascal said:

Does anyone have good links for painting flesh on large models? I’m realizing my techniques might have to change on such huge tracks of land. That and tattoo freehand are gonna be a must to give some nice color breaks. I just don’t have much experience with either.

Drybrushing has always been my go-to for large fleshy areas

Base Bugman's Glow

Layer on Cadian Fleshtone

Wash Reikland Fleshshade

Drybrush Cadian Fleshtone

Drybrush Kislev Flesh

Though tbh, having done a GUO using Darkoath Flesh Contrast paint I'm likely to do just that, and then use Drybrushing to vary the colour a bit

2 minutes ago, BrocknerTheBear said:

@Ben how hard would it be to get a donation poll running on the site to get @KingBrodd a megagargant? The mans single handedly kept us all going with his unrelenting enthusiasm. 

Pretty sure if enough of us pitched in even just £1 each (or equivalent) it wouldn't take long.

Oh no please mate I couldn't!! Thank you so much for the thought and offer but I really couldn't allow that.