Army Paint Schemes (All AOS armies)

Storm1

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this.

This thread won't do well because there's already hobby threads on this subject.

Have you considered using it to post stuff from the Warhammer and Age of Sigmar sub-reddits?

Lots of artists their who happily give tips on how they paint their armies like the other day I saw advice on making Stormcasts in the desert and frost Sylvaneth.

• Thanks 1

Maggotkin of Nurgle

8388009_Glottkins_Raid_Of_Ghyran_WEB(1of11).jpg.f257261578ab092473047023f6b9b2c2.jpg

I really dont see a reason to list all the paints I use I do a lot of mixing and I think that the exact paint doesnt really matter. What you want when painting an army is cohesion and colors that work well together.  I started just painting the skin on Glottkin and just randomly choce purple. At this point I didnt know what other colors I wanted. After finishing the skin I had to choose other colors. Okay opposite of purple on the color wheel is green so my second color is green. what goes with green? Orange. 

1636117672_ColorWheel.PNG.685427c716837da09b6c2c73d12c41fc.PNG

This is the color picker from adobe you can see we have a selection of green, purple and orange and they all compliment each other. 

Army painting is really more a game of picking color than skill with the brush. You mostly look at your army from 2-3 feet away when you play so you mostly want it to look good from 2-3 feet away. What pops most is color no one sees your edge highlights when the model is on the table I literally never edge highlight anything and its working out fine. What you see when you look at my army is a well selected palette of colors.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

well here are my Sylvaneth.  These were a simple to paint army, inspired by the color scheme from WoW's Emerald Nightmare dungeon.  I wanted something different than the greens, and decided, a Shadowy Tree army full or malice.  They have been nicknamed Khorne Trees, but I haven't really named the army persay.  I just saw the red as their Malice showing through, and that they were from the realm of Shadow.   This is only 1900 points done, as I still have the second branchwraith, the remaining endless spells, the third set of awakened woods, and 40 dryads for summoning to finish to have the army complete.   Pics taken from phone.    I will have to get my Blades of Khorne Army posted sometime soon as i need a new pic of them.  They are also done in a different and sorta unique color scheme. 

SlyvanethArmy.jpg

TreesCloseup1.jpg

TreesCloseup2.jpg

TreesCloseup3.jpg

Edited by Rizara
  • Like 10
  • LOVE IT! 2

R0pYZqrh.jpg

Mine is pretty much GW default color scheme for Chaos Warriors/Knights (mostly) for Slaves to Darkness.  I play Black Legion in 40k and always say, "Why is their decision to be made of what color to paint when black and gold exist?"  This is a real basic paint job done in the interest of getting the army painted and maybe coming back and adding more if I ever catch up on my pile of unpainted miniatures.

I prime in a tannish beige color (a few of the warriors in the back are still in primer color on their fur) and paint them black mostly avoiding the capes, fur and horns.  Even if I primed them in black, I would still paint them with my black paint so the shade of black matches when covering over painting/mistakes.  Besides, I paint those capes in white, and it is which is much easier on a light primer color.

I come from military model painting so I use Vallejo paints.  My gold is Vallejo Old Gold which I think looks better than Vellejo's other yellow metallics (not too bright nor too dark).  Since warriors both old (pictured) and new don't really have that much gold trim I don't bother painting the gold first.  The more ornate knights or even Varanguard I might though.  As it sometimes easier to paint the high spot trim areas and then just water down the paint to flow into the low spots. Instead carefully trying to only paint the trim.  The weapons or any 'white' metal is done with Vallejo Gunmetal Grey which is on the darker side of steel color.  Note on the chain-mail parts, I perform a sort of  heavy dry brush to only paint the surface leaving the recesses black. 

The fur is just Khaki, and the red parts are just some unknown red model paint I bought with a learn to paint miniatures set years ago.  For the horns, skulls or other bone material I use Vallejo Buff as it has a bit of a yellow to it to make bone like material look a bit weathered/natural.  For the leather I use a Vallejo US Olive Brown.  Which is a pretty dark brown that can be tough to tell from black at a distance, but I don't mind.  Occasionally, I also use Vallejo German Grey for leather as it is a very dark grey but lighter than black so not to match the armor color.  For an actual bit of color, I use Vallejo Red Leather for necklace straps and weapon grip mostly as I have a bottle of the stuff and just want to use it up.  I use a few different stone/earthy based colors on the amulets.

Then I give the whole miniature a wash with Argax Earthshade making sure to cover the whole miniature.  Once covered with a light coat of wash, I go back and remove some of the wash from the high spots.  I then put a coat of Astrogranite on the base and paint the base rim with Game Color Earth (I believe). 

I could put a lot more effort into painting these models at the cost of a lot of time.  I believe in the idea that perfection is the enemy of good.  In that I would rather play with a okay/decently painted army over  an army that has one or two units fanatically painted but the rest is just primer with may an additional unit being painted every couple of months.  I believe at the time of the above photo, I had only had my Slaves to Darkness army 2 or 3 weeks.

TNxaFRih.jpg

Edited by Saturmorn Carvilli
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, Saturmorn Carvilli said:

I could put a lot more effort into painting these models at the cost of a lot of time.  I believe in the idea that perfection is the enemy of good.  In that I would rather play with a okay/decently painted army over  an army that has one or two units fanatically painted but the rest is just primer with may an additional unit being painted every couple of months.  I believe at the time of the above photo, I had only had my Slaves to Darkness army 2 or 3 weeks.

I really agree with you on that.

I also like to paint everything quickly, to be honest though, even though you painted the army quickly, it still looks great.

On 1/6/2020 at 2:00 PM, Eevika said:

I really dont see a reason to list all the paints I use I do a lot of mixing and I think that the exact paint doesnt really matter. What you want when painting an army is cohesion and colors that work well together.  I started just painting the skin on Glottkin and just randomly choce purple. At this point I didnt know what other colors I wanted. After finishing the skin I had to choose other colors. Okay opposite of purple on the color wheel is green so my second color is green. what goes with green? Orange. 

1636117672_ColorWheel.PNG.685427c716837da09b6c2c73d12c41fc.PNG

This is the color picker from adobe you can see we have a selection of green, purple and orange and they all compliment each other. 

Army painting is really more a game of picking color than skill with the brush. You mostly look at your army from 2-3 feet away when you play so you mostly want it to look good from 2-3 feet away. What pops most is color no one sees your edge highlights when the model is on the table I literally never edge highlight anything and its working out fine. What you see when you look at my army is a well selected palette of colors.

That army looks really great! I'll be honest, I've no clue about the color wheel. Is there any youtube you would recommend to watch to get an understanding of how that works out?

17 hours ago, Kasper said:

That army looks really great! I'll be honest, I've no clue about the color wheel. Is there any youtube you would recommend to watch to get an understanding of how that works out?

MarcoFrisoniNJM on YouTube has a few videos about it. Also the book make colors sing should be good from what i have heard 

Really love all the armies here, especially the Sylvaneth. 

Here are some of my Stormcasts - I wanted to go for something aside of the classical gold or basic color armor and tried to go for a little more "grim dark" approach. Not all the way though, but at least a little bit less shiny ^^:

IMG_0116.JPG.08a4827d9337d6cf5fd6827a5cfc4cdb.JPGIMG_0115.JPG.3d5a2a67edde65631be2343af937a56b.JPGIMG_0114.JPG.9ae47f47719acc85094ee102e4149695.JPGIMG_0113.JPG.b848b849ee02dab83552aa4a70f4df92.JPGIMG_0112.JPG.4a8d47d631505ebd0838000e5a477b6e.JPGIMG_0111.JPG.a42749f1b81c7ec07df5830d9513378f.JPG

stormcast2h7jfx.jpeg

IMG_0117.JPG

Edited by Naem
  • Like 3

As promised.  I decided to get out my entire BoK for a quick photo shoot.  Sadly its dark outside, so the lighting in this old house is a bit dark.   Either way you get the general idea of the color scheme.   This is my current entire force for my Blades of Khorne.  I have some StD models but not sure i want to add them to my khorne or make a new army for a new god with them.   I got 8 closes ups as well to get a zoom in on the color scheme.   8 is Khornes number so I had to stop at the close ups there.   

Anyways a little bit of background on the scheme.   I wanted a color scheme that would allow me to take advantage of the Technical Paint, Blood for the blood God.  I wanted to add blood splatter and coat the weapons in it.  So i settled on a white/bronze scheme to the armor, although it is technically not white but light grey.  I also added the blood to the bases, I wanted them gore covered as khorne should be.   I accented this with wrappings and banners and tassles with Turquoise.    Then I came to the issue of the flesh.   Normal flesh tones blended to much with the white and bronze.   I decided to go with a red tone, which is mephiston red built up in layers with mixxes of kislev flesh till i got to straight kislev flesh, then I added a crimson wash to the entire flesh.  It creates a more fleshy feel to it then mixxing red with oranges.   As for the demons, i decided to go with black skin.  This would let me use the armor colors on the blood thirsters to tie it in, yet have them feel a little bit like their own color scheme.  Skarbrand is still being worked on, I decided to give him an albino/drained flesh color look to make him stand out against the other demons.   There is more i want to add to the army, like more hounds, the last blood thirster so i have the set, and some skull reapers.  But I am holding off right now till i get the rest finished.  Hoping to do that this year and maybe add those additions.    All of this has been painted really in two main painting sprees since well April this year.   First spree was april through May, where I painted 1250 points+ summons.   The rest was painted in October to get a full 2k list done for a tournament.  I have been working on skarbrand the past few weeks, when I can find time (again for another tournament), but he might not get finished before then.   On to the pics.   Will add the rest in another post. 

BoKArmyshot-top.jpg

BoKArmyshot-front.jpg

BoKCloseups1.jpg