AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

I'd recommend an FAQ and access to artifacts so you don't have to play with half a sub-faction.

26 minutes ago, Dreddships said:

What does everyone recommend for an Idolaters list outside of the obligatory Cultists and Chariots?

Is the Ogroid Myrmidon worth it for the Cultist buff?

Jokes aside you want shrines as they're already good and idolators makes them better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rors said:

I'd recommend an FAQ and access to artifacts so you don't have to play with half a sub-faction.

Jokes aside you want shrines as they're already good and idolators makes them better.

What's an artifact? I only know Priest Buffs that somehow don't interact properly with existing Priests

Shrines seems the go-to but some of the wording is throwing me off - particularly that the 'better' prayers are obviously mark focused and it's in a subfaction that buffs Cultists... who can't take marks and Rokar is undivided too.

Is it worth to take some marked Knights to make use or is the Undivided Heal worth it enough for Shrines and Chariots?

Artifacts are items you can give to heros, the other sub-factions have a lift to choose from but they forgot to give one to idolators.

Shrines can buff cultists, they can buff anything with keywords slaves to darkness and mortal, with any gods prayer, but only the first tier. The undivided prayer gives cultists reroll hit and wound. A second shrine could give reroll charges or magic defense or bonus armor. When you can stack prayers, even the basic versions on a 2+ you can make even weak units scary. Throw in normal choas Lord to attack a second time to maximize your buff potential. Units like chosen love buffs to and buff units around them. Prayers are force multipliers in a faction that's strength is force multiplication, so if you're going idolators I'd double down on what they do well.

Rokar is a trap within a trap sub-faction imo (if you want just have fun go wild though obviously) taking a semi-compitive view. A non-named Lord of chariot is better and you can mark to suit your list.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 12:01 AM, Dreddships said:

What does everyone recommend for an Idolaters list outside of the obligatory Cultists and Chariots?

Is the Ogroid Myrmidon worth it for the Cultist buff?

Take big knight/marauder/warrior units and support them with shrines. Use cultists for point capping and screens.

Don't take chariots except lord for mobile aura. Don't take ogroid ever.

I am personally assembling this for competitive play:

chariot lord

sorc 

2x shrines

2x10 knights

40x marauders

32x iron golems

2x8 untamed beasts

Probably should have a Belakor somewhere.

Could also maybe take a big Untamed brick instead of golems and charge turn 1 with them with shrine buff.

Marks surprisingly don't matter much because shrines give you all the rerolls you'd ever want on demand. Khorne and Slaanesh are probably the worst ones. Nurgle and Tzeentch protect you against respective alpha strikes and Undivided makes you morale immune.

Shrine is the best buff dispenser in the faction (compare it to 170pt mounted lord, lol) and the host improves it a lot. Cultist buffs don't matter much, but the charge ability makes them solid for teleporting and capping points or bodyblocking stuff.

Not sure about chariot lord, but if you want a general aura he's the only possible choice.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

I've given in and got myself the Slaves to Darkness starter for Christmas, along with the StD battletome. I've read the book this weekend, I'm now all stoked up for hacking and killing and despoiling :)

I have some rules questions, though:

1. The Cultists can't take any Mark of Chaos keywords and, if I see correctly, they don't have the Unaligned keyword built in. So, they cannot benefit from the Warshrine prayers, right? Only from the protection aura?

2. Aside from Warshrine prayers, does Mark of Chaos have any additional role?

3. I *can* have units with different Marks of Chaos in the same army, can't I?

4. I admit I'm not sure how is the Realmscourge Rupture supposed to move? From the description in the book I'd say it keeps moving in one direction until it falls of the table? There's no mention you can pivot it and send it into another direction...

5. How many of the Chaos Spawn would you say one needs to keep handy when playing StD? I mean, the Std heroes can turn into Chaos Spawn on any occassion. Also, if you field the Mulalith Beast, you can Spawnify the enemies... My question is: on average, how often does that happen?

6. Speaking of the Chaos Spawn - are there any alternative CS models (by GW) out there? The ones currently sold are kind of... uninspiring (in the bad way).

Oh, and a lore question: who *is* Archaon, actually? Aside from the fact that he seems rather badass, being a Chaos uber-champion who isn't a total slave to the Chaos gods...

Help appreciated!

Edited by PiotrW

2 hours ago, PiotrW said:

Hey guys,

I've given in and got myself the Slaves to Darkness starter for Christmas, along with the StD battletome. I've read the book this weekend, I'm now all stoked up for hacking and killing and despoiling :)

I have some rules questions, though:

1. The Cultists can't take any Mark of Chaos keywords and, if I see correctly, they don't have the Unaligned keyword built in. So, they cannot benefit from the Warshrine prayers, right? Only from the protection aura?

2. Aside from Warshrine prayers, does Mark of Chaos have any additional role?

3. I *can* have units with different Marks of Chaos in the same army, can't I?

4. I admit I'm not sure how is the Realmscourge Rupture supposed to move? From the description in the book I'd say it keeps moving in one direction until it falls of the table? There's no mention you can pivot it and send it into another direction...

5. How many of the Chaos Spawn would you say one needs to keep handy when playing StD? I mean, the Std heroes can turn into Chaos Spawn on any occassion. Also, if you field the Mulalith Beast, you can Spawnify the enemies... My question is: on average, how often does that happen?

6. Speaking of the Chaos Spawn - are there any alternative CS models (by GW) out there? The ones currently sold are kind of... uninspiring (in the bad way).

Oh, and a lore question: who *is* Archaon, actually? Aside from the fact that he seems rather badass, being a Chaos uber-champion who isn't a total slave to the Chaos gods...

Help appreciated!

1. Cultists can benefit from the prayers, just not the bonus effect of each prayer from having a mark. You can actually use the god specific prayers on any unit, you just get only the first effect unless you have that mark.

2. Mark of chaos gives bonuses from shrine prayers and you gain additional bonuses in radius from same mark heroes and the general. However there are no inherent bonuses to the mark, it simply "activates" the potential for other abilities.

3. You can mix and match however you choose, but you want at least one hero of each mark you've marked a unit with so they can benefit from the aura abilities.

4. You're correct, it only moves in one direction and does not pivot.

5. I don't use mutiliths, so I'm not sure about that, but on average if you're using its ability each turn of a game you'll produce one chaos spawn. As for heroes turning into spawn, it's really not super common. Having a couple on hand for that is probably fine barring weird corner cases.

6. You can probably use a suitably "chaosified" model conversion of similar size if you're not a fan of the current models.

13 hours ago, CeleFAZE said:

1. Cultists can benefit from the prayers, just not the bonus effect of each prayer from having a mark. You can actually use the god specific prayers on any unit, you just get only the first effect unless you have that mark.

2. Mark of chaos gives bonuses from shrine prayers and you gain additional bonuses in radius from same mark heroes and the general. However there are no inherent bonuses to the mark, it simply "activates" the potential for other abilities.

3. You can mix and match however you choose, but you want at least one hero of each mark you've marked a unit with so they can benefit from the aura abilities.

4. You're correct, it only moves in one direction and does not pivot.

5. I don't use mutiliths, so I'm not sure about that, but on average if you're using its ability each turn of a game you'll produce one chaos spawn. As for heroes turning into spawn, it's really not super common. Having a couple on hand for that is probably fine barring weird corner cases.

6. You can probably use a suitably "chaosified" model conversion of similar size if you're not a fan of the current models.

Thanks for all the answers!

Now, please explain Archaon to me :) He seems interesting - although I wonder whether his personality etc. is that much different from Abaddon over at WH40K. Both seem to be these super-powerful Chaos generals...

2 hours ago, PiotrW said:

Now, please explain Archaon to me :) He seems interesting - although I wonder whether his personality etc. is that much different from Abaddon over at WH40K. Both seem to be these super-powerful Chaos generals...

Archaon was the Chaos general that destroyed the Old World and put in motion the events that led to Age of Sigmar. He was a former Sigmarite priest that lost his faith and turned to the chaos gods, though he never had any real love for any of them and managed to become marked by all four as the only current everchosen, effectively playing them all against one another while never devoting himself to any one in particular. He's basically a demigod at this point, and is the unified head of Chaos as a military faction in the setting.

3 hours ago, PiotrW said:

Archaon is much more similar to a very jaded version of Lorgar than to Abaddon. Archaon started out as a templar of Sigmar, whereas Abaddon has always been a bruiser. Archaon is desperately concerned with that which is beyond the primitive/instinctual/immediately visceral, whereas Abaddon again is more so concerned about power and strength and philosophises to the extent of defining, measuring and achieving it. Abaddon's ultimate goal is to rule an empire in his vision with power and glory, whereas Archaon's ultimate goal is to change the constitution of reality.

They are absolutely not the same character or "ports" of each other in background and motivation. Being at the top of the mortal Chaos hierarchy and the foremost chosen of Undivided is just about all they have in common in terms of broad character. Although having read none of the novels themselves about them, I can't speak for their actual personalities, so don't take this very basic overview as a full exposition. They both have personalities and motivations far more fleshed out than this post would give you the impression of.

Edited by JackOfBlades
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JackOfBlades said:

Archaon is much more similar to a very jaded version of Lorgar than to Abaddon. Archaon started out as a templar of Sigmar, whereas Abaddon has always been a bruiser. Archaon is desperately concerned with that which is beyond the primitive/instinctual/immediately visceral, whereas Abaddon again is more so concerned about power and strength and philosophises to the extent of defining, measuring and achieving it. Abaddon's ultimate goal is to rule an empire in his vision with power and glory, whereas Archaon's ultimate goal is to change the constitution of reality.

They are absolutely not the same character or "ports" of each other in background and motivation. Being at the top of the mortal Chaos hierarchy and the foremost chosen of Undivided is just about all they have in common in terms of broad character. Although having read none of the novels themselves about them, I can't speak for their actual personalities, so don't take this very basic overview as a full exposition. They both have personalities and motivations far more fleshed out than this post would give you the impression of.

I see! Now I'm even more curious about Archaon... Definitely sounds like an interesting character.

2 hours ago, kore5022 said:

How much worse are lances on knights compared to 1h weps?
Im making an empty throne army atm but the lances just look so damn cool on the new models 

They fill different roles, although lances need more buffs on them. StoD does not have much rend 2, so that's where lances are important. For self-reliant units, the swords are better since they don't need as many buffs.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 3:09 AM, kore5022 said:

How much worse are lances on knights compared to 1h weps?
Im making an empty throne army atm but the lances just look so damn cool on the new models 

They are not worse at all. Against most armies they are a better choice

Only importance is to get the charge off. This is why i play 2 units of knights to alternate charge and retreat between those 2.

If you have a chaos lord around, you will be golden

• Like 1

Well they will get some artefacts one day i hope. It looks like a giant unintended miss. 

I made a nurgle idolator list with only 3 drops using the plaguetouched battalion. Nurgle blessings looks rad !

LEADERS

Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (230) - Mark of Chaos: Nurgle

Idolator Lord on Gorebeast Chariot (150) - Mark of Chaos: Nurgle - Prayer: Blessings of Nurgle

Chaos Lord (110) - Reaperblade & Daemonbound Steel - Mark of Chaos: Nurgle

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110) - Mark of Chaos: Nurgle - Spell: Whispers of Chaos

UNITS

15 x Chaos Warriors (270) - Hand Weapon & Shield

20 x Chaos Marauders (160) - Axes & Shield

5 x Chaos Knights (160) - Ensorcelled Weapons

3 x Varanguard (280)

BEHEMOTHS

Chaos Warshrine (170)

Chaos Warshrine (170)

BATTALIONS

Plaguetouched Warband (180)

- The idolator blessing used by my idolator lord  : Blessing of Nurlge : At the start of your hero phase, you can say that this model will chant this prayer. If you do so, pick 1 friendly NURGLE IDOLATORS unit wholly within 12" of this model and make a prayer roll by rolling a dice. On a 1-2, the prayer is not answered. On a 3+, you can re-roll wound rolls for attacks made with melee weapons by that unit until your next hero phase.- 

The blessings of the warshrine themselves + protection of the dark god : Favour of Nurgle: You can re-roll wound rolls for attacks made with melee weapons by that unit until your next hero phase. In addition, if that unit has the Nurgle keyword, add 1 to save rolls for attacks that target that unit until your next hero phase.

- The mark of chaos nurgle aura (i still didn't found how i really works) .. 

- the battalion (one sorcerer and one unit won't be part of it) Plaguetouched Warband (1 Mortal STD Nurgle HERO, 7 Mortal STD Nurgle units). ======> Unmodified wound rolls of 6 on attacks targeting units from this battalion result in the attacker taking 1 mortal wound. Also, in your hero phase, pick an enemy target within 1" of any unit in the battalion. On a 3+, that enemy unit takes D3 mortal wounds.

- The sorcerer being very usefull and can try to land a few spells

==> looks like a well defensive army with the high mobility of STD cavalry. It just needs artefacts !

Page 116 – Idolators Battle Traits, Panoply of Ruin, rules Change to: ‘Idolators Cultists units have the Battleline battlefield role. If you upgrade a Chaos Chariots or Gorebeasts Chariots unit to be an Idolator Lord, all Idolators Cultists units you include in your army gain the Mark of Chaos keyword that was picked for that Idolator Lord. In addition, when you make a charge roll for an Idolators Cultists unit, change the lowest dice to a 6. If the roll is a double, change one of the dice to a 6.’

Page 116 – Idolators Battle Traits, Idolator Lords, rules Change the second sentence to: ‘If you do so, that unit gains the Idolator Lord, Eye of the Gods, Hero and Priest keywords, is an Exalted Charioteer (even though the unit has only 1 model), and you must give it one of the following Mark of Chaos keywords when you select it to be part of your army: Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle, Slaanesh or Undivided.’

that's what we ask. BUT no artifact ?

11 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

So Idolators cultist units can now take Marks of Chaos. Thoughts?

• Nice update. Comes handy and makes cultist a bit more desirable to play. Not great, but still neat.
  • I´d assume that in a update for the Battletome this will be added for all other Legions.