Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

For me personally the most interesting part from the TOW article (to my question I asked them two weeks ago): "There’s more good news for fans of the World of Legends – French and German translations for the three current Arcane Journals will be available from the Warhammer webstore very soon."

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I don't following it that much, but someone on WhatsApp mentioned that. While I cannot confirm it, would fit with them being needed.

I could believe it but I'd need convincing considering what I've seen online and then just looking over their book.

If anything I would expect 2 man dragon ogor units with a champion forcing you to split attacks etc etc would be the big cheese. Not getting frenzy (the worst "buff" in the game) on one unit or getting to reroll fireball wounds. But I again could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Twisted Firaun said:

What are the odds that GW will re-release Tamurkhan's range as an MTO tie in?

Not the characters in The Old World, since they're not in the same timeline. Maybe as mere "collector" separate release, but I highly doubt it. They never did release something in particular when the corresponding DLC was out in Total War Warhammer series. It was either something that was already available or nothing at all.

4 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

Here it is!

I love Malakai. I can't wait to play with the thunderbarge, doomseekers, garagrim, the goblin hewer... even Long Drong's pirates!! 

Commom GW, release my dwarf miniatures.

• Like 1

So today I picked up my O&G Arcane Journal and reference cards, as well as my Green Knight, and I realised something: I don't want to deal with metal minis. They're just too much of a hassle for me these days: harder to assemble well and securely, wise detail than modern plastics or resin, and they chip so damn easily. I remember being a metal snob, preferring it to plastics. I have no idea why anymore. 

Anyway, I think I'm going to return his Green Highness. He was a lovely sculpt, but I think I just prefer modern stuff.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, michu said:

1_20240325_144922_0000.webp.d9e55ab5fda8e1454641d4e7bb232ffe.webp
Beastmen are in the top 3.

4 but that's not a big difference either. I didn't see any targeted nerfs for the 3 armies above them despite them overperforming by one percent but whatever.

Any lists to look at. I'm not about to buy anything so it's more curiosity than anything. 

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

I love Malakai. I can't wait to play with the thunderbarge, doomseekers, garagrim, the goblin hewer... even Long Drong's pirates!! 

Commom GW, release my dwarf miniatures.

Yeah I loved all the slayers and the thunder barge in that video...hope for the future!

• LOVE IT! 1

5 hours ago, The Red King said:

Were they really. Well pardon me. I've only seen them lose on YouTube and don't know where else to look.

Actually where can I see that data? I thought it was the 2+ 4++ dragon armies that were good. I'd love to see what's doing well for beasts.

https://woehammer.com/2024/03/25/the-old-world-meta-stats-24th-march-2024/

As far as I know these are the most recent tournament results. In the 2000 point bracket I think they have a win rate of 63%. Now obviously it is still early days so the Meta is still shaking out (and I am  hardly an expert comentator), but as far as I can tell the BM are pretty strong.

We're seeing a lot of movement on those charts just from more events being added.  targeted balance adjustments seem premature until the data gets more consistent.  People are still getting armies together, let alone figuring out how to make best use of them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sception said:

We're seeing a lot of movement on those charts just from more events being added.  targeted balance adjustments seem premature until the data gets more consistent.  People are still getting armies together, let alone figuring out how to make best use of them.

That is very true, everything is still settling down, but I think it is fairly clear that BM are pretty strong. Are they OP? Probably too early to tell, but they seem to be good.

2 hours ago, Goatforce said:

https://woehammer.com/2024/03/25/the-old-world-meta-stats-24th-march-2024/

As far as I know these are the most recent tournament results. In the 2000 point bracket I think they have a win rate of 63%. Now obviously it is still early days so the Meta is still shaking out (and I am  hardly an expert comentator), but as far as I can tell the BM are pretty strong.

I was in agreement but also that's only 20 games and the only tournament we have says O&G beat beasts like 3 times and no beast list placed over 8th place. I'm gonna argue that my point still stands. These changes were not based on objective data.

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

Fixe'd. I can't even legally play without the Dwarf big box... (not enough core units).

You lack imagination. It's actually possible with only the AoS kits, just not optimized. :P And that's not talking about converting existing kits with bitz from other sources.

Of course, 3D printing people have none of that problem. I already have a 2000+ points army made from Highland miniatures' nordic dwarves with rangers and everything.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

You lack imagination. It's actually possible with only the AoS kits, just not optimized. :P And that's not talking about converting existing kits with bitz from other sources.

My TOW army is a personal project. I don't want to rush it and I perfectly know what miniatures I need, and believe me that what you said is not an option for me.

But hey, it seems that my problem is the "lack of imagination".

1 minute ago, Beliman said:

My TOW army is a personal project. I don't want to rush it and I perfectly know what miniatures I need, and believe me that what you said is not an option for me.

Pretty much. In the days that miniature range that will come back was available for Warhammer Battle V8, I didn't like the difference of proportions between new and old kits at that time so I opted to convert all infantry models with the new kits : rangers, crossbowmen, warriors with the longbeard / hammerers / ironbreakers kits and bitz from other sources. Was hell expensive, but I did it my own vision, with no old miniature involved.

Conversion is always an option, even if GW doesn't really push for it in AoS.

Don't take it personnally, I wasn't making fun of you. Honestly, I'm still puzzled with GW's strategy with how they handle The Old World releases. It's like they want people to go to 3rd party / 3D printing to build their TOW armies, from my point of view.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Beliman said:

What do you have in mind?

13 hours ago, The Red King said:

I was in agreement but also that's only 20 games and the only tournament we have says O&G beat beasts like 3 times and no beast list placed over 8th place. I'm gonna argue that my point still stands. These changes were not based on objective data.

Beastmen aren't (and have never been) very popular army, so the results have high volatility. The player in some certain tournament might be very good, or a beginner, and thus the results can be whatever.

My personal experience on playing few (casual) games with beastmen is that they are very good. Some of the units, such as dragon ogres, are clearly undercosted on what they actually do. The list also has options on doing almost everything in the game well besides shooting, but on the other hand they have a really nice magic item that allows the re-rolls to wound on magic missiles, so that's not a big issue either.

Edited by Jamopower
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

What do you have in mind?

Nothing weird. I'm trying to build two armies with GW sculpts that I like:

• An old school-looking dwarf throng, as big as I can. Waiting for Arcane Journal. Still missing:
    • Between 40 and 60 Dwarf Warriors
    • Bunch of Heroes (I only have 1 runelord and Thorgrim so...).
    • General must be Helga on 3 shieldbearers (only need the shieldbearers).
    • 12 Miners
    • 18 Rangers
    • 16+ 6e editions longbeards.
    • 2 cannons.
    • Engineers and stuff like that (at least 2 more gryos for a nice Barak-Nar like fleet).
  • An small army of Slayers:
    • Youngrim (and Arcane Journal)
    • A few Doomseekers
    • Garagrim
    • A bunch of Heroes (I only have 1 Ungrim).

I'm working on quarrellers and designs for transfer sheets (still learning how this work) and looking for schemes. I'm going for an unified looking crest and emblems.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 2