Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

Funny that Orcs&Goblins "lost" animosity for Impetuous (must charge enemy units unless 4+ roll). It will be a bit less teddious for when you have a unlucky day.

Edit: I'm enjoying TOW reviews. All this magic items and customization abilities (spites, elven honors, rune-forging, etc...) are awesome. I really miss all this customizations tools in AoS, even if we only had a few in 2.0 and were tied to battalions (IMO, boring).

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 10
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

The Red Duke from the Circle of Blood campaign pack? I didn't know he was anything to do with Mousillon. 

You might be right. The ruler of Mousillon in the old WHFB era as Mallobaude, who I thought I remember being a Vampire. It sounds like that's a possibility, but not confirmed in the lore.

In Total War Warhammer the Red Duke starts the game holding Mousillon, which is where that idea entered my mind I think.

• Thanks 1

We know from the official map that the current Duke of Mousillon is Maldred de Mousillon, who we know from old lore is going to start a civil war for rulership of Bretonnia after the death of King Jules the Just. This civil war happened in the year 2297, about 21 years after the starting date of the Old World (2276). 

The Red Duke canonically has nothing to do with Mousillon. He's called the Scourge of Aquitane because well, he's from Aquitane. 

Edited by BarakUrbaz
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Funny that Orcs&Goblins "lost" animosity for Impetuous (must charge enemy units unless 4+ roll). It will be a bit less teddious for when you have a unlucky day.

Edit: I'm enjoying TOW reviews. All this magic items and customization abilities (spites, elven honors, rune-forging, etc...) are awesome. I really miss all this customizations tools in AoS, even if we only had a few in 2.0 and were tied to battalions (IMO, boring).

100% this! I like AoS and we have some great fun playing AoS battles, but my army / characters feel to bland. My Chaos Lord is a random dude that hides :( .

I had more fun with watching those TOW reviews (Forces of fantasy + Ravening hordes) than with the armybuilding of my StD/CoS army. With ToW there are so many options for your characters/units I love it. The HE and WE are fantastic and than they still need to get their Arcane Journal. Amazing!

My biggest wish for AoS 4th edition is that that they allow more options / customization for your characters. My StD Chaos Lord has to mean something, instead of fearing any other characters from any other AoS army. I collect StD and CoS. I have certainly not the feeling that game wise a Chaos Lord is stronger than the Freeguild Marshal... Strong immersion killer.

A smaller wish is to get rid of those battle tactics for AoS..

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 2

I am also positively surprised so far.

The rubber lance is okay since damage in general seems to have gone down a lot.

I hope my opponents won’t mind me using slightly bigger bases (with the GW trays the unit footprint is incorrect anyways) since I‘ll use conversion trays from my AoS minis :)

my ideas so far for the Bret exiles:

Baron and Paladins: Bret hero models

Sorceress: regular Sorceres

Exiled Wizards: Sorceress in a black dress, necromancer stand ins etc (go wild!)

Brigants with pistols/plunderbus: CoS Fusiliers

Levy Guard: CoS Steelhelms

Bombard: Ironweld Great Cannon.

I‘ll try to give the army a „Morgana, dark Arthus vibe“ combined with mixed tech, yet hoborable knights.

might be a fun mixed medieval army!

Edit: Just checked the GmG review,  Dukes and Barons can ride a hippogryph.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

2 hours ago, Beliman said:

Could you share any good reviews that aren't from Guerrilla Miniature Wargames? Thanks!

58 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I am also positively surprised so far.

The rubber lance is okay since damage in general seems to have gone down a lot.

I hope my opponents won’t mind me using slightly bigger bases (with the GW trays the unit footprint is incorrect anyways) since I‘ll use conversion trays from my AoS minis :)

my ideas so far for the Bret exiles:

Baron and Paladins: Bret hero models

Sorceress: regular Sorceres

Exiled Wizards: Sorceress in a black dress, necromancer stand ins etc (go wild!)

Brigants with pistols/plunderbus: CoS Fusiliers

Levy Guard: CoS Steelhelms

Bombard: Ironweld Great Cannon.

I‘ll try to give the army a „Morgana, dark Arthus vibe“ combined with mixed tech, yet hoborable knights.

might be a fun mixed medieval army!

Edit: Just checked the GmG review,  Dukes and Barons can ride a hippogryph.

I'm loving this. 

Absolutely buzzing with these thematic options GW are providing. The Cities of Sigmar have that nice aesthetic for an Empire/Bret mix.

Cannot wait to see everyone's armies.

• LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, Beliman said:

So much this. I want expecting to be excited by TOW but the list building aspect really takes me back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jator said:

Could you share any good reviews that aren't from Guerrilla Miniature Wargames? Thanks!

FacehammerTV has another good review.

Edit: Look who's back with a not-new name:

The Age of Recovery. With Aenarion lost, a new Phoenix King is chosen. Malerion, Aenarion's youthful son, is passed over and the honour is given to Bel Shanaar. The coronation marks the end of the war against Chaos and the start of the great period of rebulding and discovery.

Edited by Beliman
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 1/6/2024 at 12:35 PM, Tonhel said:

Which still means that they underestimated demand.

Yeah painful but promising I hope! Hopefully it shows there is serious demand for Old World and they can make a case to give it more resources and we get more plastic kits per faction and can plan expansions to bring in the pdf factions. I'll bet they have a few things up their sleeve they can bring forward if it was successful.

I am dreading when I need to get new dwarf stuff, I was relaxed today a I'm not ready to buy in but in a few months ..different story..

The dwarf summaries coming out just took me right back, very familiar without being the same, rangers sound very good- I wonder if we might get a new unit of them?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Whitefang wanna be said that we would see some O&G and Dwarf stuff before the end of the month:

Ooo I thought they were months away! Excited and nervous!! 

loving the return of dwarf runes. I always felt making your weapons/armour etc really made your characters your own! 

Back to the good old days!

image.jpeg.e614566b48faf228f4a1b20ba927df01.jpeg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Marcvs said:

Base sizes were "officially" confirmed in a Facebook post (of all things). It was discussed here around 2 crises ago

https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/24482-warhammer-the-old-world/?do=findComment&comment=642647

This doesn't really answer my question.  The question isn't 'what are the official sizes' but rather 'do the actual bases match those sizes'.  warhammer fantasy cav bases were listed as '25x50' back in the day, but in reality they were a fair bit thinner than that, which you had to take into account when buying third party bases and buying or making unit trays if you wanted everything to match up.

Same with the old chariot bases, which were a fair bit thinner than the listed 50x100.

I'm asking whether tOW uses new 25x50 and 50x100 bases that actually are those sizes (and thus won't fit unit trays made for the old bases), or whether they're just reprinting the same old slightly wonk size bases as before.

19 minutes ago, silverstu said:

Ooo I thought they were months away! Excited and nervous!! 

loving the return of dwarf runes. I always felt making your weapons/armour etc really made your characters your own! 

Back to the good old days!

image.jpeg.e614566b48faf228f4a1b20ba927df01.jpeg

Let see if it is true.

42 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Let see if it is true.

I never believed the releases would be every 6 months (wherever that time frame came from). 

It makes sense they'll want to get out stuff for all factions in a decent time frame and cash in on the hype. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

I never believed the releases would be every 6 months (wherever that time frame came from). 

It makes sense they'll want to get out stuff for all factions in a decent time frame and cash in on the hype. 

I thought every quarter is more reasonable time frame

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

Let see if it is true.

Ah I read that quickly as WhiteFang not WhiteFang Back Me Up.. , Happy to wait for summer. A longer gap between releases  brings the possibility of them reacting to increasing demand .

Hiya, first time posting here.

I think The Old World bug is getting to me, but I have a question I'm sure has been discussed endlessly already. It's about the Legacy Factions.

Now, I'm not particularly surprised (or upset) that some armies won't feature in The Old World, but I'm curious to hear speculation on how this list of excluded armies was decided on. Lore being malleable (even if the setting is fixed on the old continent), I figure it has more to do with logistics or with certain army ranges having been replaced.

Lizardmen & Vampire Counts have both seen pretty direct successors in Age of Sigmar, in terms of model ranges (Saurus Warriors, Skeletons, etc.) Chaos Dwarves and Skaven are not all-but-confirmed to make a proper re-appearances in the Mortal Realms as well.

Ogre Kingdoms, on the other hand, have not received this treatment. A lot of Dark Elf kits still for sale as part of CoS - and these were some of the final releases of WHFB.

I'm just really curious (again, not angry or frustrated) to hear some educated guesses on how this was decided on? Do you figure that GW doesn't want to sell both old and new versions of what is practically the same kit (Saurus Warriors, zombies, future Skaven updates)? But then, the Empire will obviously make a return, presumably with the models that were only just now replaced by the new Cities of Sigmar stuff?

I think they had limited resources and could only focus on so many armies initially, if not in terms of rules writing then in how much capacity the suits were willing to give them for a game they'd killed off less than a decade ago.

I don't think it has anything to do with the theorised that "Seraphon and Soulblight got big AoS releases, they don't want double dipping!" because that ignores that Slaves To Darkness and Gloomspite Gitz had also received updates to the Warriors of Chaos and Goblin/Troll side of Orcs & Goblins. Sure they're using the old moulds for those armies apparently, but nothing would have stopped them doing the same thing with Lizardmen and Vampire Counts either.

• Lizardmen - They're in the New World.
  • Skaven - They're in the Old World, but they're most known for being the primary antagonists of the Lizardmen.
  • Dark Elves - They're in the New World.
  • Ogre Kingdoms - They're in the East.
  • Chaos Dwarfs - They're a resin FW army and are generally considered an 'Eastern' faction.

That leaves Vampire Counts and Daemons as the odd ones out. The Daemon range is cross-compatible with basically every other system already anyway, so making a conscious decision to exclude them because of that would be strange. They've made a big deal of talking up the Great War Against Chaos so I wouldn't be shocked if they ended up getting the 'Core Army' treatment eventually anyway.

Vampire Counts I think were just the unlucky sods who got cut because of recourse allocation, or lack thereof.

Everybody else can either be expanded into via a big marketing wave of New World and Far East respectively, the latter especially if we end up with Cathay as playable in the longterm. Hell, they could do something similar for New World with the Vampire Coast if they wanted to. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Garrac said:

Is that whitefang tho? It shows me like a totally diferent user lol

No. He’s just trogging with that account.

Think of it as hero worship and he wants to be a big rumor monger like Whitefang so just keeps throwing stuff out there hoping it sticks. 😆

• Haha 1