Warhammer - The Old World

1 minute ago, Sathrut said:

The only new models we've seen are all resin: Tomb King, Paladin, mounted Bretonnia Standard Bearer, and the Prophetess Γ‰lisse Duchaard. They won't put resin in boxsets.

If these rumours turn out to be true, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence that their focus on TK and Bret (as announced at WarhammerFest), so far has resulted in four new resin minis, two new plastic hero (Lord on Pegasus, Liche on dragon), and confirmed plastic footknights (renders only so far).

To launch with a bunch of old plastic kits, the same kits that were such poor sellers it led to GW not carrying both factions into AoS, is...honestly seems like shooting themselves in the foot, especially *actual* new plastic units are once every five months or something.

I agree, and having some experience with the TK kits in particular, if they are really bringing back the old skeleton archer kit as it was at the time, I will be very disappointed. Those skeletons and the infantry skeleton kit they are based on (it is an upgrade sprue) are now two generations of models out of date. And let's not speak about the awful skeleton horses from the mounted skeleton and chariot kits.

Tomb Kings deserve better.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I find that weird as well. A dragon seems really random as a mount. They couldn't pull a Liche Priest on Bone Scarab or whatever out of their hat?

I guess, as an amendment to my previous post, that while the Warmaster "Undead Hero on Zombie Dragon" was initially released for an Undead faction, when they expanded the Warmaster range from its initial six armies* to fourteen** they did change the name to Tomb Kings, and kept the Zombie Dragon.

*Empire, Undead, Chaos, Orc, High Elf, Dwarf.

**Empire, Tomb Kings, Chaos, Orc, High Elf, Dwarf, Skaven, Lizardmen, Bretonnia, Kislev, Dark Elf, Vampire Count, Daemon, Araby.

//

But I agree: if you want to give the Tomb Kings a big mount (and don't want to put them on a Sphinx or fancy chariot) then the Khemric Titans already exist and look really neat.

No need for a dragon, which is stepping firmly on the toes of Vampire Counts.

(Maybe the source of the rumours mis-saw, and it's a giant Carrion?)

Edited by LordSolarMach

Those rumours sound entirely believable. It looks like they will be adopting the middle earth model. I'd guess those boxes will cost about Β£120 for the minis and the rulebook.Β 

In the future we could well see 1 or 2 plastic kits a quarter, irregular releases of resin minis which may include full units and old kits returning in a range rotation style so they don't have to put all of the old minis into production at once.Β 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I agree, and having some experience with the TK kits in particular, if they are really bringing back the old skeleton archer kit as it was at the time, I will be very disappointed. Those skeletons and the infantry skeleton kit they are based on (it is an upgrade sprue) are now two generations of models out of date. And let's not speak about the awful skeleton horses from the mounted skeleton and chariot kits.

Tomb Kings deserve better.

Part of me hopes the reason we haven't seen any TK minis (aside from the new resin TK) so far, is they've redone the core: Warriors/Archers/Cavalry/Chariots, but if this rumour proves true, then they look set to be repeating the same mistakes for TK/Bretonnia as they did in Fantasy.

57 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Those rumours sound entirely believable. It looks like they will be adopting the middle earth model. I'd guess those boxes will cost about Β£120 for the minis and the rulebook.Β 

In the future we could well see 1 or 2 plastic kits a quarter, irregular releases of resin minis which may include full units and old kits returning in a range rotation style so they don't have to put all of the old minis into production at once.Β 

Yeah, adopting the Middle Earth model seems likely given the number of factions involved. These boxes would be similar to the Middle Earth ones, wouldn't they? New plastic character, bunch of old plastics with rulebook?

Edited by Sathrut

32 minutes ago, Sathrut said:

Yeah, adopting the Middle Earth model seems likely given the number of factions involved. These boxes would be similar to the Middle Earth ones, wouldn't they? New plastic character, bunch of old plastics with rulebook?

It's a good take to compare Old World to MESBG because they have a lot in common. They were big in the 2000s under a different name (WFB and LoTR), but have really fallen off in the 2010s out of GW moving to other projects, the community shrinking for various reasons. They're still around now because GW supports them mainly via FW and books, they have a core of dedicated players, and attract some newcomers here and there, but nothing crazy like AoS and 40k. Also, most of their plastics are 00s/10s era, so old but not antediluvian like some Skaven/Eldar sculpts. And they have also a lot of "classic" metal and resin sculpts.

That's why a Middle Earth approach to TOW makes more sense. Instead of a HH approach with plastics quite often (because they are no Space Marines in TOW πŸ˜„).

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Sathrut said:

Part of me hopes the reason we haven't seen any TK minis (aside from the new resin TK) so far, is they've redone the core: Warriors/Archers/Cavalry/Chariots, but if this rumour proves true, then they look set to be repeating the same mistakes for TK/Bretonnia as they did in Fantasy.

I was hoping they will have redone the core models for Tomb Kings but if this rumour is true, I agree it will be a mistake. I don’t think anybody was expecting all the sets to be redone, but I think there was an expectation that dated kits would be updated.Β 
Β 

If this rumour is true, I think it’s an own goal as majority of the target audience will probably shift to other manufactures or print their own stuff. GW make some amazing models but I can say that the Skeletons for core Tomb Kings aren’t in that category! Β 

• Like 4

Just now, Beliman said:

Can you elavorate on this. I'm not a fan of Bretos and Egiptian Skellingtons, but an Orc boxset with a new boss-wyvern miniature sounds awesome!

It's from Hastings, dude came back into the rumour mongering game for TOW after years of nothing. He said this in some blog post comments if I remember correctly. He talked about Brets and TK being the 1st to receive minis with plastic grail/questing knights, knights on foot and a plastic lord/king on hippogryf for the Brets, plastic Ushabti and skeletons for the TK. He said after Brets and TK were done O&G were the next army in line with a plastic boss on wyvern, new orc boyz and plastic pump wagons.Β 

• Like 3

OK, so the rumours are for the release date to be pushed back and into 2024. No problem! I have a big backlog of AoS stuff to paint so I will arrange my schedule accordingly.

Β 

@Gaz TaylorΒ is there something that can be done about the spell checker? Warhammer is English in origin and thus should use the King's English, not that North American pigeon English that the spell checker seems to be using.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Wraith said:

OK, so the rumours are for the release date to be pushed back and into 2024. No problem! I have a big backlog of AoS stuff to paint so I will arrange my schedule accordingly.

Β 

@Gaz TaylorΒ is there something that can be done about the spell checker? Warhammer is English in origin and thus should use the King's English, not that North American pigeon English that the spell checker seems to be using.

Mate, this is a forum for a tabletop game where we spell orcs/orks depending on if we’re talking space mushroom men or fantasy mushroom men. Spellcheck isn’t a huge priority.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Twisted Firaun said:

Mate, this is a forum for a tabletop game where we spell orcs/orks depending on if we’re talking space mushroom men or fantasy mushroom men. Spellcheck isn’t a huge priority.

Good grief, man! Think about what you are saying!

If we allow those upstarts in the Americas let their temporary independence go to their head and spell English words as they please, think what will happen to the language elsewhere in the world. Next it will be those shackle draggers in the antipodes wanting to degenerate the language by spelling their nation’s name just as they pronounce it: β€œStraya”.

Β 

Heaven forbid!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Good grief, man! Think about what you are saying!

If we allow those upstarts in the Americas let their temporary independence go to their head and spell English words as they please, think what will happen to the language elsewhere in the world. Next it will be those shackle draggers in the antipodes wanting to degenerate the language by spelling their nation’s name just as they pronounce it: β€œStraya”.

Β 

Heaven forbid!

..... You do realize I'm American right? and that I have Egyptian Citizenship as well? All I'm saying is that both of my countries managed to kick you out and therefore reserve the right to butcher "The Queen's English" (I know Charles is the king now, but typing anything else feels like saying the sky is green if you catch my drift) as we see fit.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Wraith said:

Β 

I’m a Black Country lad, so it’s probably the wrong question to ask me! 🀣

I don’t think it can be changed but this may also be a setting on your machine rather than the forum. Check your settings are the right locale for you.Β 

Idk maybe we could talk about the Old World in the Old World thread instead of subtleties of weither or not to use British or American English and passive aggressive remarks on Americans ? Because I personally don't give a single ****** about that. I want to talk about OldΒ Old World in the Old World thread, thank you very much. This is TGA, not FB or 4chan.

• Like 2

+++ Mod Hat On +++
Enough about the Ps and Qs about whatever variant of English we use. As mentioned, I come from the Black Country so I tend to take a lot of this in jest (seriously listen to how we speak! I have to make a lot of effort not to drop into it) but enough about this now.

Now back to something something old models….

17 hours ago, Twisted Firaun said:

I'm sorry, when and where did we get news about a Liche Priest riding a DRAGON?!Β 

I recall the Honest Wargamer propping up that idea a motnh or two ago.

Actually looking at that rumour, I don't really believe it. It feels to just list off stuff we've already seen, sprinkled in with the few rumours we have seen so far.

12 hours ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

It's from Hastings, dude came back into the rumour mongering game for TOW after years of nothing. He said this in some blog post comments if I remember correctly. He talked about Brets and TK being the 1st to receive minis with plastic grail/questing knights, knights on foot and a plastic lord/king on hippogryf for the Brets, plastic Ushabti and skeletons for the TK. He said after Brets and TK were done O&G were the next army in line with a plastic boss on wyvern, new orc boyz and plastic pump wagons.Β 

I'm trying to find where he posted this. Do you recall where Hastings posted this specific rumour?

46 minutes ago, Segersgia said:

I recall the Honest Wargamer propping up that idea a motnh or two ago.

Actually looking at that rumour, I don't really believe it. It feels to just list off stuff we've already seen, sprinkled in with the few rumours we have seen so far.

It could be one persons Dragon is another persons animated construct? Just remember that these are rumours and sometimes being told by people who don’t have 1st hand knowledge of the systems and models. As they’ve come from Chapter Master Valrak, as he’s more 40K focused I think some of these things you may have to squint at to get how they are being described.

Also this is all rumours πŸ˜‰

• Like 1