Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

27 minutes ago, Bosskelot said:

Not really. You're getting 36 of them instead of 20 for one thing, and they actually have options in how you build them, unlike Deathrattle.

Current Deathrattle come with sword and spear options, don't they?

Anyway, if number of models is what you're after, just get those Wargames Atlantic skeleton at 35€ for 32 models. The Tomb Kings skeletons are definitely not worth that price with their low fidelity and awful building experience. Speaking as someone who has built and painted, like, 30 of those dudes.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Bosskelot said:

Not really. You're getting 36 of them instead of 20 for one thing, and they actually have options in how you build them, unlike Deathrattle.

For the quantity there are far better options that are also far cheaper. Also I don't think that pure numbers is an excuse to charge that much for pretty bad and old models. At that point would you buy stick figure-ish blobs of plastic as troops for £40 just because you get quite a lot of them? No, clearly quality is part of the equation and it is not as if GW has had to design them and create the molds from scratch so cost is not really an excuse here, all the work was already done 20 years ago.

And as has been pointed out the new skellies have weapon options, I have a pegleg skelly weitlding duel cutlasses from that kit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I finally have all the dudes and monsters to make a full fledged Chaos Dwarves army now, at least 3K worth.  Took the plunge and splurged on a Sorcerer on Lammasu, just too fun of a masterpiece to not have!  All the infantry will be Dispossessed converted to big hats with sculpted thumbtacks and appropriate beards as needed.  

The Chorfs have a bit of speed options with the Bull Centaurs/Tauruks, and Taurus/Lammasu heroes.  I think they can be run in a variety of ways and hold their own.  Anyone used or faced them yet in TOW?

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Current Deathrattle come with sword and spear options, don't they?

Anyway, if number of models is what you're after, just get those Wargames Atlantic skeleton at 35€ for 32 models. The Tomb Kings skeletons are definitely not worth that price with their low fidelity and awful building experience. Speaking as someone who has built and painted, like, 30 of those dudes.

I mean the wargames atlantic skeletons are not exactly shining beacons of quality and building experience. Shoutouts to the spindly spears all having 4 connector points on the sprue and tiny little joins connecting the torsos to the arms.

4 hours ago, Bosskelot said:

Looks awesome. Is that 2k? Seems like less!

This is my list. I could get more stuff by dropping characters and magic items but that's enough of painting gobbos for now, I will add more at some point in the future. 

===

Painted night gobbos [1998 pts]

Warhammer: The Old World, Orc & Goblin Tribes

===

++ Characters [861 pts] ++

Night Goblin Warboss [160 pts]

- Hand weapon

- Light armour

- Shield

- General

- On foot

- Giant Blade

- Trollhide Trousers

- The Collar of Zorga

- Potion of Speed

Night Goblin Warboss [152 pts]

- Hand weapon

- No armour

- Shield

- Giant Cave Squig

- Armour of Mork

- Porko's Pigstikka

Night Goblin Bigboss [150 pts]

- Hand weapon

- Light armour

- Shield

- Battle Standard Bearer [Banner of Iron Resolve]

- On foot

- Trollhide Trousers

Night Goblin Bigboss [84 pts]

- Hand weapon

- Great weapon

- No armour

- On foot

- Ruby Ring of Ruin

- Armour of Meteoric Iron

Goblin Oddnob [230 pts]

- Hand weapon

- Level 4 Wizard

- On foot

- Talisman of Protection

- Buzgob's Knobbly Staff

- Elementalism

Night Goblin Oddgit [85 pts]

- Hand weapon

- Level 2 Wizard

- On foot

++ Core Units [648 pts] ++

30 Night Goblin Mob [177 pts]

- Hand weapons

- Shields

- Netters

- 2 Fanatics

- Boss (champion)

- Standard bearer

- Musician

30 Night Goblin Mob [207 pts]

- Hand weapons

- Thrusting spears

- Shields

- Netters

- 2 Fanatics

- Boss (champion)

- Standard bearer

- Musician

24 Night Goblin Mob [158 pts]

- Hand weapons

- Shortbows

- Netters

- 1 Fanatics

- Boss (champion)

- Standard bearer

- Musician

10 Night Goblin Squig Herd [106 pts]

- 2 Squig Herder

++ Special Units [299 pts] ++

3 Stone Troll Mob [147 pts]

- Hand weapons

- Great weapons

5 Night Goblin Squig Hopper Mob [76 pts]

- Hand weapons

- Cavalry spears

- Light armour

- Boss (champion)

5 Night Goblin Squig Hopper Mob [76 pts]

- Hand weapons

- Cavalry spears

- Light armour

- Boss (champion)

++ Rare Units [190 pts] ++

Mangler Squigs [95 pts]

- Colossal fang-filled gob

- Heavy armour

Mangler Squigs [95 pts]

- Colossal fang-filled gob-

Heavy armour

---

Created with "Old World Builder"

[https://old-world-builder.com]

• Like 3

I am testing a very experimental list today vs Seraphon

++ Characters [585 pts] ++
Death Hag [290 pts]
(Two hand weapons, Cauldron of Blood, Rune of Khaine, Enchanted Shield, Dragon Slaying Sword)

Supreme Sorceress [150 pts]
(Hand weapon, On foot, Battle Magic)

Death Hag [145 pts]
(Two hand weapons, On foot, Rune of Khaine, Sword Of Ruin)

++ Core Units [500 pts] ++
24 Witch Elves [310 pts]
(Two hand weapons, Hag (champion), Standard bearer [Banner Of Har Ganeth], Musician)

5 Dark Riders [95 pts]
(Hand weapons, cavalry spears, and repeater crossbows, Light armour, Fire & Flee)

5 Dark Riders [95 pts]
(Hand weapons, cavalry spears, and repeater crossbows, Light armour, Fire & Flee)

++ Special Units [472 pts] ++
16 Har Ganeth Executioners [277 pts]
(Hand weapons and Har Ganeth greatswords, Heavy armour, Draich Master (champion), Standard bearer [The Blazing Banner])

10 Witch Elves [110 pts]
(Two hand weapons)

1 Scourgerunner Chariots [85 pts]
(Ravager harpoon, Hand weapons, Cavalry spears, Repeater crossbows, 5+)

++ Rare Units [440 pts] ++
Reaper Bolt Throwers [80 pts]
(Repeater bolt thrower and hand weapons, Light armour)

Kharibdyss [195 pts]
(Cavernous maw, writhing tentacles, and hand weapons and whips, 5+)

1 Bloodwrack Medusas [85 pts]
(Hand weapon and petrifying gaze, Light armour)

---

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I am testing a very experimental list today vs Seraphon

++ Characters [585 pts] ++
Death Hag [290 pts]
(Two hand weapons, Cauldron of Blood, Rune of Khaine, Enchanted Shield, Dragon Slaying Sword)

Supreme Sorceress [150 pts]
(Hand weapon, On foot, Battle Magic)

Death Hag [145 pts]
(Two hand weapons, On foot, Rune of Khaine, Sword Of Ruin)

++ Core Units [500 pts] ++
24 Witch Elves [310 pts]
(Two hand weapons, Hag (champion), Standard bearer [Banner Of Har Ganeth], Musician)

5 Dark Riders [95 pts]

5 Dark Riders [95 pts]

++ Special Units [472 pts] ++
16 Har Ganeth Executioners [277 pts]
(Hand weapons and Har Ganeth greatswords, Heavy armour, Draich Master (champion), Standard bearer [The Blazing Banner])

10 Witch Elves [110 pts]
(Two hand weapons)

1 Scourgerunner Chariots [85 pts]
(Ravager harpoon, Hand weapons, Cavalry spears, Repeater crossbows, 5+)

++ Rare Units [440 pts] ++

Kharibdyss [195 pts]
(Cavernous maw, writhing tentacles, and hand weapons and whips, 5+)

1 Bloodwrack Medusas [85 pts]
(Hand weapon and petrifying gaze, Light armour)

---

Uh love the har ganeth whipes this list has 

I just order 15 Dark Riders/Doomfire Warlocks. Never have I been so happy GW included them in every budget box, and that they are kinda meh on AoS 😄

Now all I am lacking for my Dark Elves in Bolt Throwers, and I'm not sure what to do for them. Metal ones go for a lot on eBay, and the 3d printed ones on Etsy look not great. I'm wondering how hard it would be to built the Bolt Thrower itself somehow, and kit bash some Dark Elf warriors as crew.

Other option is I wait for High Elf ones to get rereleased and Dark Elfify them, but I don't know how viable that would be.

Edited by JerekKruger

Tabled the Lizardmen after getting all my Executioners and my Sorceress shredded by arcane missles. So I won’t know if Executioners are worth it xD

He had his Slann left who he ket flee off the board on purpose

the Kharabdyss was solid, witches were brutal the (basically 3) bolt throwers (2 reapers + chariot) killed 2 krixigors, 4 Cold one Knights, a Stegadon with Skink and dealt 3 wounds to a bastiladon - super solid when one can place them on a wood!

Lizardmen really struggle against the high initiative of Elves.

Cauldron: This thing is just weird, in the last turn it basically couldn’t move due to only being 6 Wyches left. It’s just odd and clunky. The bound spell is bad (since everyone brings a lv 4 wizard). Idk if I‘ll add it again or if I‘ll just add another 10 Wyches/Executioners.

0C05BC4B-BE78-4DE9-A8A2-A8264DC126EE.jpeg

6461B6AC-C1E4-47CB-88F5-1384DD2D084B.jpeg

9AF5F5B8-3A44-40B8-8DD5-65A48F6F103A.jpeg

D54C30BB-DDE3-4F69-BE2E-000A9E9C50D2.jpeg

73B61F52-9212-4F94-9E44-F4D0FB16060E.jpeg

D6EAC013-6635-4E5D-AFC3-B31A929C8237.jpeg

0ED64C7C-AD1B-490E-BA32-FEA395C21F39.jpeg

5713F608-F243-4C1E-8DE7-9AD191B21751.jpeg

70C3328C-A975-40DA-A84E-3B17F61CD4ED.jpeg

after this image I killed the Temple Guard, reformed. he charged his monsters, killed my wyches. I charged and killed the Dkinks + Bastilladon. His monsters were shot.

he had killed 787 points of mine. 570 of them in shooting (spells and Javelins)

All magical Vortexs in the game did nothing and either stayed on the spot or scattered away from enemies. (They never seem to do anything in every game xD)

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JerekKruger said:

I just order 15 Dark Riders/Doomfire Warlocks. Never have I been so happy GW included them in every budget box, and that they are kinda meh on AoS 😄

Now all I am lacking for my Dark Elves in Bolt Throwers, and I'm not sure what to do for them. Metal ones go for a lot on eBay, and the 3d printed ones on Etsy look not great. I'm wondering how hard it would be to built the Bolt Thrower itself somehow, and kit bash some Dark Elf warriors as crew.

Other option is I wait for High Elf ones to get rereleased and Dark Elfify them, but I don't know how viable that would be.

For bolt throwers I was actually just thinking of buying the lrl one and converting them slightly

(well mostly a headswap some dark elve bits on the unit and a different color scheme

31 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

Good to know a khaine list is still viable, it was my go to list in the last days of 8th Ed. 

Imo Wyches are the best unit in the entire book. They’re also the only non-monster melee unit that packs a punch, the whole rest has too little attacks to do anything (including Black Guards)

idk about Sisters of Slaughter - they don’t have poison and they have less attacks while being absurdly expensive. I‘d argue they’re just bad. Executioners are plainly overcosted imo.

The Hydra and the Kharibdyss are solid.

Edited by JackStreicher

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

Imo Wyches are the best unit in the entire book. They’re also the only non-monster melee unit that packs a punch, the whole rest has too little attacks to do anything (including Black Guards)

idk about Sisters of Slaughter - they don’t have poison and they have less attacks while being absurdly expensive. I‘d argue they’re just bad. Executioners are plainly overcosted imo.

The Hydra and the Kharibdyss are solid.

Funny how things work out, when the list was release, everyone was questioning witch elves with some people writing them off completely 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

For bolt throwers I was actually just thinking of buying the lrl one and converting them slightly

(well mostly a headswap some dark elve bits on the unit and a different color scheme

I have considered that, but I think it just looks too LRLy and I'm not sure I can make it look Dark Elfy. 

12 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Imo Wyches are the best unit in the entire book.

They are the best, because You can take them in core. They are also great vs T3/T4 units. But T5 and monsters...they are lacking here very hard. I charged 16 of them with a single varghulf. and they all died. for real. But a great unit overall.

8 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Yeah I don’ know either if I could change it enough

might have to try out when I fet my hands of one.

if that’s the case I’ll send a picture of the conversion

That'd be great. I've just ordered a cheap Stormcast Ballista and am going to see if that can be converted too. If I get something that looks good I'll post pictures too!

30 minutes ago, Wnerva said:

They are the best, because You can take them in core. They are also great vs T3/T4 units. But T5 and monsters...they are lacking here very hard. I charged 16 of them with a single varghulf. and they all died. for real. But a great unit overall.

Mine shredd monsters due to poison + Har Garneth Banner (-1 Rend). So I'd even argue they excell vs T4+ due to poison :)

6 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Mine shredd monsters due to poison + Har Garneth Banner (-1 Rend). So I'd even argue they excell vs T4+ due to poison :)

T4 is fine. They murder! but T5 is a little harder. Would not think for more than a second to charge them with Varghulf.

1 minute ago, JackStreicher said:

speaking of which. My Varghulf never do anything, it doesn't even have stomps X_x

He is significantly weaker. Not gonna lie. But i started using him when my friend started playing death hag with sword of ruin.

I just charge and kill the witch:P and then i die:P Because she do 2/3 wounds and i lose frenzy.

But only witches? bring them to me! xD

Decided that Warriors of Chaos will be my next army so had a dig through the backlog and put a couple of units together tonight.

Army will be a mix of marks, so far I have 10 marauders of Tzeench and 10 Forsaken of Slannesh 

IMG_20240301_160907.jpg

IMG_20240301_205227.jpg

• Like 4

Looks fantastic! The mini's look great on square bases! I also really like the WoC armylist, lots of options. I am looking forward to its arcane journal!

Edited by Tonhel