AoS 2 HammerHal

Acid_Nine

8 hours ago, Gecktron said:

First thing first, I dont think your list is legal. You can only take 1 SCE unit for every 3 CoS units. So you would need 15 CoS units to fit in your 5 Stormcast units. 

Ah shucks, you're right! Hmmm. Is there a way to make this work? 🤔

I can make the palladors allies, right? So that would take care of them. But how to fit the gryph hounds...

Edited by Rogue Sun

2 minutes ago, Rogue Sun said:

Ah shucks, you're right! Hmmm. Is there a way to make this work? 🤔

I can make the palladors allies, right? So that would take care of them. But how to fit the gryph hounds...

No you cant take Stormcasts as allies in a Cities of Sigmar army. You can combine the pallardors into one unit, drop the hounds and upgrade a Demi unit to 6. 

1 hour ago, Luthor said:

Hi! I was thinking about something like that:

Looks good in my opinion. The Greatswords+Handgunners and General on foot make for a good backfield block to protect your home objective while the Lancer battalion has enough offensive power. 

The only thing I would change is the artillery. Ive tried both The rockets and the Volley gun and I dont think these two are worth it in a Hammerhal force. We dont have any real way of buffing them, they dont have banners and going above 2D6 with the Volley guns is really risky without an Engineer.

21 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

Looks good in my opinion. The Greatswords+Handgunners and General on foot make for a good backfield block to protect your home objective while the Lancer battalion has enough offensive power. 

The only thing I would change is the artillery. Ive tried both The rockets and the Volley gun and I dont think these two are worth it in a Hammerhal force. We dont have any real way of buffing them, they dont have banners and going above 2D6 with the Volley guns is really risky without an Engineer.

So, out with artillery, maybe in with some flagellants?

17 minutes ago, Luthor said:

So, out with artillery, maybe in with some flagellants?

I havent played Flagellants yet so Im not sure. I would either add a few Freeguild guardsmen with sword and shield as cheap chaff against deep striking units or add a few more handgunners to your two units if you dont want to miss out on some fire power. 

---

On a different note, I had a 1500 points game against Fyreslayers yesterday. 

IMG_20191019_155513.jpg.b3960350715a435ed2ee61d6d5c4bf2d.jpg

IMG_20191019_155520.jpg.816c400dea226294dd2e95ee880ae9aa.jpg

Ive played my 3xHandgunners/1xGuard/General/Mage castle in three games now and im very happy with how effective 2+/2+ Handgunners can be. Shield/Sword Guardsmen are also very resiliant for how cheap they are. 

Sadly my Demigryphs got deleted by tunneling FS berserker before they could do anything. As mentionend before I was dissapointed by the performance of my Volley Gun (only 18 shoots over the course of the whole game!), outriders werent useful either. They are fast and cheap but even with 3+1 shoot, 5+ to hit is just too unreliable. 

• Like 3

I think to make outriders good you have to play to them with both a hurricanum and a freeguild general. Once they get to 3+ to hit, the fact that on average they get 15 shots per 100 pts instead of 10 on handgunners makes them more damaging per point. They are also gauranteed to fire t1 which handgunners may not. But I think you also need a hurricanum to make them worth it.

My local group is starting up a meeting engagement based campaign and I'm considering the following list. I know freeguild spearmen are the worst, but the old DoW pikemen I have are so pretty that it seems a waste to leave them in the cupboard.

Couple of questions though -

1) the spell. Wings of fire seems like it would be useful for getting my knights and black guard into combat, but is it a bit weak? Should I be going for one of the other options? The Sorceress already has her own combined damage and de-buff, which leads me to think that wings is probably more use, especially with her command ability.

2) the artefact. Twin stone looks quite a poor choice for this list as the spearmen and black guard already have plenty of hit buffs, and the healing ability is wasted on 1W infantry. Ignax's scales gives me mortal wound protection which looks useful. What do you recommend?

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Hammerhal
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Spearhead
Sorceress (90)
- Spell: Lore of Cinder - Wings of Fire (Hammerhal Wizard)
- City Role: General's Adjutant (Must be 6 wounds or less)
10 x Freeguild Crossbowmen (100)
10 x Black Guard (140)

Main Body
Assassin (80)
Freeguild General (100)
- General
- Trait: Blood of the Twelve
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
20 x Freeguild Guard (160)
- Spears and Shields
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
20 x Freeguild Guard (160)
- Spears and Shields

Rearguard
5 x Drakespawn Knights (170)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 85

20 hours ago, SentinelGuy said:

My local group is starting up a meeting engagement based campaign and I'm considering the following list. I know freeguild spearmen are the worst, but the old DoW pikemen I have are so pretty that it seems a waste to leave them in the cupboard.

Couple of questions though -

1) the spell. Wings of fire seems like it would be useful for getting my knights and black guard into combat, but is it a bit weak? Should I be going for one of the other options? The Sorceress already has her own combined damage and de-buff, which leads me to think that wings is probably more use, especially with her command ability.

2) the artefact. Twin stone looks quite a poor choice for this list as the spearmen and black guard already have plenty of hit buffs, and the healing ability is wasted on 1W infantry. Ignax's scales gives me mortal wound protection which looks useful. What do you recommend?

1) Cindercloud is good for protection. -1 to-hit can be extremly powerful against certain units. Two-tailed comet is a pretty straightforward damage spell. Ive used all three and found them to be alright overall. But I cast cindercloud almost every round to protect my central castle.

2) The to-hit buff is good for freeguild units as they can get that buff without having to stand still. Healing is also useful if your heroes get hit by an arcane bolt or similar. 

15 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Is a Lord Celestant on Dracoth with some other Dracoth units worthwhile in hammerhal? Seems like a nasty hammer with blood of the twelve+twinstone, but has less bodies than Demigryphs.

I havent played Dracoths yet but Im a big fan of our Demigryph knights. 

• Like 1

Hey friends, while I paint up my Sylvaneth, I was thinking of chucking down my forces of humanity with the new Cities book and using Hammerhal rules for my own empire. Here’s my list:

Leaders

- General on Gryphon (General)

- Battlemage 

- Tank Commander

- Lord-arcanum

Battleline

-30x Sword+board (perhaps spears?)

-10x Handgunners

-10x Handgunners

-10x Greatswords

- 6x Gryph Knights

Behemoths

- Celestial Hurricanum

Total: 2000/2000

16 hours ago, Tiberius501 said:

Hey friends, while I paint up my Sylvaneth, I was thinking of chucking down my forces of humanity with the new Cities book and using Hammerhal rules for my own empire. Here’s my list:

Leaders

- General on Gryphon (General)

- Battlemage 

- Tank Commander

- Lord-arcanum

Battleline

-30x Sword+board (perhaps spears?)

-10x Handgunners

-10x Handgunners

-10x Greatswords

- 6x Gryph Knights

Behemoths

- Celestial Hurricanum

Total: 2000/2000

Hi and welcome to the twin-tailed city! 

A few things, first of all, you can play your list as it is, no problem. I just want to say a few things that would help you play to Hammerhals strenghts. 

I think going for a MSU approach is very valid in a Hammerhal army. Since you arent taking the Freeguild Guard at max. size you can just split the squad into three, getting 2 additional attacks from the champion and potentially 2 more CP every hero phase. 

Next up, the Steam Tank Commander. In my opinion you need atleast one other Steam Tank to make the most of the Commanders CA. You could use the additional points beef up your battleline section some more. Either bringing the Greatswords up to 20 or by adding a few more Handgunners. I also think a General on foot is one of the most useful units in the Freeguild faction. His command ability is incredibly strong. You could also make either one of your three foot heroes your general (to get the extra Adjutant CP) and give the Twinstones to your General on Griffon if you want to use him to buff your Demis. 

Ah thanks for all the suggestions.

One thing is that I have in my fluff that the General on griffon is the emperor of my free city (going with my own fluff with hammerhal rules), but it would be nice to get the added bonuses of the small guy being my General, getting the bodyguard thing as well. Maybe he lets his General take over in battles so I can have the General on foot as my General as you suggest.

And the other thing is I don’t want to go too MSU, so could I split the unit of 30 into a unit of 10 swords and a unit of 20 spears to sit behind them and spear dudes when the line gets charged? 

EDIT: And another quick question; are spears viable now? Or is the +1 save for the swords still too valuable?

Edited by Tiberius501

1 hour ago, Tiberius501 said:

Ah thanks for all the suggestions.

One thing is that I have in my fluff that the General on griffon is the emperor of my free city (going with my own fluff with hammerhal rules), but it would be nice to get the added bonuses of the small guy being my General, getting the bodyguard thing as well. Maybe he lets his General take over in battles so I can have the General on foot as my General as you suggest.

And the other thing is I don’t want to go too MSU, so could I split the unit of 30 into a unit of 10 swords and a unit of 20 spears to sit behind them and spear dudes when the line gets charged? 

EDIT: And another quick question; are spears viable now? Or is the +1 save for the swords still too valuable?

I mean, you can do what you want, I dont want to force you. I only played 3 games myself with this new book, none of them were 2000 point games.  So take everything I say with a grain of salt. 

Its just that, in my opinion, there is little downside in going for MSU. You get 1 extra attack, extra CP and you can cover more ground. Guard with sword and shield are chaff. 1 4+/4+ attack with no rend wont do much damage. But a 4+ save is really good on such a cheap unit. The guard takes the charge and the inital damage so that your other units can retaliate at full strenght. 

Edited by Gecktron

Alright thanks. So with the changes it’d look like this:

Leaders

- Freeguild General (General) w/ Blood of the Twelve command trait

- Lord-Arcanum (Adjutant)

- Freeguild General on Gryphon w/ Twinstones artefact

- Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage

Battleline

- 10x Sword Guard

- 10x Sword Guard

- 10x Sword Guard

- 10x Handgunners

- 10x Handgunners

- 20x Greatswords

- 6x Gryph Knights

EDIT: Also, what would be the best unit to be the General’s retinue?

Edited by Tiberius501

The only thing I am torn about is what the heck to build my army around. To start I wanted to create a phoenix guard temple with aelvish suport, but lately the dwarfs are catching my eye just because of the cool guns and the fact I'm playing a dwarven rimworld game. I am just stuck trying to build a dwarven list that makes me pretty happy instead of trying to decide what the heck i'm going to do.

Freeguild General (100)
Freeguild General (100)
Steam Tank with Commander (250)
10 x Freeguild Handgunners (100)
20 x Freeguild Greatswords (320)
20 x Flagellants (160)
Steam Tank (200)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 134

Looking for a painting project more than a competitive list.  Trying to build around the blocks of Greatswords.  The Steam Tanks seem better support than Griffons.  Plus I've got a conversion idea...  I could adjust the Flagellants to pick up more hand gunners but I think I just need a big screen in front of my line T1.  No Adjutant though.  Or magic.....  

On 10/30/2019 at 6:35 PM, Acid_Nine said:

The only thing I am torn about is what the heck to build my army around. To start I wanted to create a phoenix guard temple with aelvish suport, but lately the dwarfs are catching my eye just because of the cool guns and the fact I'm playing a dwarven rimworld game. I am just stuck trying to build a dwarven list that makes me pretty happy instead of trying to decide what the heck i'm going to do.

I think it helps thinking about whats the unique thing your city brings, and how to make the most of it. 

Hammerhals great strenghts are the battleshock test immunity, the high number of extra CP and the buffs to to-hit and to-wound. 
So following that logic, you should limit the number of units without any banners and try to go for units/heroes who can make the most of extra CP.

Units without any banners or good CA are better off in a different city. 

6 hours ago, Deadkitten said:

Freeguild General (100)
Freeguild General (100)
Steam Tank with Commander (250)
20 x Flagellants (160)
Steam Tank (200)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 134

Looking for a painting project more than a competitive list.  Trying to build around the blocks of Greatswords.  The Steam Tanks seem better support than Griffons.  Plus I've got a conversion idea...  I could adjust the Flagellants to pick up more hand gunners but I think I just need a big screen in front of my line T1.  No Adjutant though.  Or magic.....  

Id say get another unit of Handgunners. The long rifle is really useful to single out smaller support heroes and you get the most out of your Generals CA when you take your units in multiples of threes.

• Like 1

Greetings fellow warriors of Hammerhal! 

I had a 1250 points game against Kharadron Overlords yesterday with the following list: 

- City: Hammerhal
Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Freeguild General (100)
- General
- Trait: Blood of the Twelve
- Artefact: The Twinstone
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Lore of Cinder - Cindercloud (Hammerhal Wizard)
- City Role: General's Adjutant (Must be 6 wounds or less)
10 x Freeguild Greatswords (160)
10 x Freeguild Guard (80)
- Swords and Shields
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
10 x Freeguild Guard (80)
- Swords and Shields
3 x Demigryph Knights (180)
- Lance and Sword
5 x Freeguild Pistoliers (100)
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 1240 / 1250

A few things I noticed: 1. Pistoliers are much better than Outriders! Outriders may have volume and range on their side but a 5+ to-hit is just not reliable enough to me. Pistoliers hit better, and shooting again after charging is really strong. Sure, they may get cleaned up afterwards but they are cheap enough that I dont worry about them too much. 

2. The Everblaze comet, while really expensive is extremly useful for such a slow army as it allows us to put pressure on enemy units from across the table. 

Alternativly, Im thinking about maybe switching out the comet for another general to support my Greatswords and Knights as my main general has to stay close to my 3 Handgunners for that sweet sweet 2+/2+.

Also, I got extremly lucky with my dice rolls. I managed to generate 8CP in just 3 turns! 

Edited by Gecktron
  • Like 2

I've been playing Hammerhal extensively for the past couple of weeks (4+ 2k games and 10+ meeting Engagements) and I think I can confidently say the Demigryph battalion is very, very strong. In meeting engagement it wins through superior mobility and devastating charges.

In full size games it ensures that an entire flank of the opposing army will vanish in a single charge, and thanks to the fight twice ability its difficult to screen against. 

Some other observations:

- General on foot with Academae Prodigy and Saints Blade is a beast. 

- Cindercloud beats Wings of Fire every time.

- 4x3 Demigryphs has been the best configuration for me

Edited by kuroyume
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1