Cities of Sigmar Factions subforum added to TGA

Ben

Hi Warhammer fans!

I have just added a new feature to the forums in the form of a faction subform.

https://www.tga.community/forums/forum/159-cities-of-sigmar/

We are still unsure as to whether this is best for the Forum or not but we are going to test this out with Cities of Sigmar due to the fact that it is such a big and varied faction

Over the next week or two there will be some moving around and changing of layout as we figure out how best to introduce this or even if it is the way to go so don’t be too concerned if things are changing

Feel free to leave some feedback in here or in the feedback section if you think the sub factions is a good or bad thing.

Thanks, 

Ben. 

• Thanks 5

Yeah, this seems good. Was already iffy on digging around through a dozen places. At least now I can ignore the other Order stuff.

Might Dispossesed/Wanderers/etc go in? Cities has SOOO many options it is hard to categorize it all. Especially with stuff that can be used (KO, Sylvaneth) but has their own tome. I know there has been some Tempest Eye discussions in the KO thread. lol

"Good luck. We're all counting on you."

Should the main cities of sigmar thread be moved there?? Might drop visibility for new folks interested in starting the army. 

Abit darned if you do, darned if you don't

edit: Also living city is still out there in the wild. 

Edited by mmimzie

3 hours ago, Ben said:

I'm not sure on the Darklings/dispossessed/so on.... 

This could sit under cities, but I also feel that those threads might die off now.  

Do we think i should move it all to the Cities Subforum? 

I think Cities should remain those armies built from the Cities Battletome only. 

Darklings and such I think should remain on their own since they are technically fully separate armies. Furthermore their future is very uncertain and with Cities out I'd expect to see those niche forces not reappear in the next Generals Handbook. Likely moving into the catch-all Legacy block when it comes out (which depending on how well its taken up might warrant its own subforum where all those subgroups can get moved to in the future). 

3 hours ago, Ben said:

I'm not sure on the Darklings/dispossessed/so on.... 

This could sit under cities, but I also feel that those threads might die off now.  

Do we think i should move it all to the Cities Subforum? 

I'd move it all there and see what dies off.

(Drop Stormcast Eternals in there too as they're part of CoS as well 😉)

Also perhaps make the CoS subforum visible from the main forum page?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Also perhaps make the CoS subforum visible from the main forum page?

This is what i'm not sure on.  I don't want 100's and 100's of subforms everywhere, then again, a big lists of Order sub forums will clog up the order discussions thread. 

Its possible that 'Order' will become a container for Order Discussion forum, Cities Forum, xxx nation forum and so on. 

I can see that working. Order doesn't just have a lot of subarmies but lots of subgroups within them and that's before you hit Cities. 

Most of the other Grand Alliances are a bit smaller, only Chaos gets closer and even then those forces intermingle a lot with each other as well. 

27 minutes ago, Ben said:

This is what i'm not sure on.  I don't want 100's and 100's of subforms everywhere, then again, a big lists of Order sub forums will clog up the order discussions thread. 

Its possible that 'Order' will become a container for Order Discussion forum, Cities Forum, xxx nation forum and so on. 

I think CoS are largely unique at the moment in that they're effectively seven different allegiances/armies in a single faction/book. The closest anything else comes is Legions of Nagash being five different allegiances (+ Legion of Grief), but as @Overread pointed out, Death are a much less crowded Grand Alliance at present and it's a non issue in their sub forum.

Currently I'm only interested in talking about CoS and none of the other Order factions, and for pure ease of navigation/use would really appreciate the CoS sub (sub?) board at least linked in the description text for the Order board (possibly as "Contains sub forum:  Cities of Sigmar", so I don't have to click twice to get where I want to go, something that's got pretty annoying over the last 24 hours.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 2:33 AM, Reinholt said:

Also: I don't know if this is working as intended, but I cannot get to the CoS subforums if I am not logged in, and instead get an error that I don't have permission to view them. Anyone else getting this?

yeah me too. Change the permission to enter the Subforum, so not logged in Readers can read. 

Have you considered doing this with skaven? They also have a ton of sub armies... And it seems to be working quite well.

On 10/2/2019 at 11:51 AM, Ben said:

Feel free to leave some feedback in here or in the feedback section if you think the sub factions is a good or bad thing.

Thanks, 

Ben. 

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all.  

Further to this trial I have changed the way the 'Order' forum is displayed.

You now get:

-Order

- List of Sub forums

-Order , Cities, so on....

I have also added a Stormcast Subforum as this is the next largest faction.   At the moment I don't think we need a sub form for every faction (around 50 in total!) but the larger ones can be split off.  I will continue to trial this in Order, but will roll it out to other Grand Alliances soon.  I think Death might be next as they are distinct factions in FEC, NH, OBR and teh rest in Mixed Death forum. 

I have also restricted subforms to members. You can see the forum but need to be logged in to view.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ben said:

I have also restricted subforms to members. You can see the forum but need to be logged in to view.  

Curious choice on this one. I'd have thought the subforums for the factions would be one of the more important draws of new members to the site. So letting people be able to read them whilst not logged in might well contribute to many people joining into the site and signing up.

The reason is a financial one. 

This site still does not pay for itself.  It's funded entirely by me, helped by donations and sponsors.  Costs (From the software and hosting provider) and are based on the number of currently viewing members over a 24 hour period. i.e. currently, on average, at any one time we have between 300-400 users on the site, 24 hours a day.  This is in addition to AWS Amazon media hosting and the email provider too. its roughly £350-400 per month 

As subforms are added, and they go behind a login I am hoping that the registered users will become more likely to be ongoing members of the community, and possibly help support the community rather than viewers from afar.  Also, it's easier to show sponsors that we have xxx logged in and active members.

If people are not interested in being members of our community then they will not visit as and the hosting costs may come down.  I would prefer an amazing community with 100 active members that really support each other and love what we are all building here, over 60,000 casual readers (this is our unique monthly visitor figures) 

I will also be putting Google Adsense display ads all over the site that will be visible to only non-logging in users. I'm not a fan of this as it doesn't look great, but with more logged in users it will 

Its still free for members, its just going to need a log-in to access parts of the site. 

Ah that makes sense. Ads are a pain, but its an understandable one that most people are happy to accept. You could even make it so that there are 3 ad tiers. Full ads for non-registered viewers; less adds for registering (and of course logging in); then no or exceptionally few adds (I'm thinking keep the things like the element games banner ad for referrals) for subscribers.

There's certainly a balance to be found with ads, I've seen one or two forums go so ad heavy that, sure it likely paid them more; but at the same time it likely got such a heavy load that the other aspect was their membership rate likely tanked too. 

I've also long wondered if there's a way to make FB work for forums - running a group on FW and then auto-posting posts from the forum to FW but locking them so that you can only comment and contribute by following the link to the forum. Basically advertising the site on FB.