Does CoS need new models?

PiotrW

On the CoS don’t fit into the aesthetic thing… I really don’t get that. I’m an Old Fantasy player but kind of understood why the Old World went boom, no scope for expansion with most of the map “filled in” and a story line that couldn’t move on without one side losing. So boom it went but unfortunately, when AoS started it was appalling! The writing was child like and the game was nonsense. I think that lost a lot of old Fantasy players but AoS has come on in leaps and bounds and is now a superb game and setting. The setting has been constantly sold to players as so large anything is possible, so go crazy and make your army you own. How that means anything does not “fit into the aesthetic” I don’t know… I’m no fan of the poofy sleeves myself but they certainly slot right into AoS.

The possibilities of this book are amazing, I’m going all in with all new models (new for me that is) and mixing them up to form a coherent looking army out of the 3 races. Some KO guys in there because the Frigate is stunning, all very exciting.

Having the iconic Empire models stick around is also important for another reason. Has anyone else run across someone who loves Warhammer Total War, looked into starting the hobby proper and been surprised to learn they’re basically playing a prequal game? At least the old models are familiar for them when they walk into a shop.

Love some new “normal people” models and love (love love) the suggestion above about Free cities boxes for Warcry. Can’t imagine that being anything but hugely popular. Could go for an over the top Napoleonic era Steampunk army made of all 3 races myself.

On 10/16/2019 at 4:37 PM, Arathorn185 said:

Here is what in my opinion what cities needs: a mounted non-monster knightly hero and a spellcaster one as well. Specifically one with six wounds.  The lack of that datasheet is just notable. While it should be 20-40 points more than a walking one to avoid the “Never not take a winged prince” issue. 

Honestly, I think a Demigryph general would be something that I'd like very much.

The best thing that could happen, however, is an Underworlds or even Warcry warband that features the archetypes now enclosed in Cities from the upcoming roleplaying game. It would provide new plastic, and with some careful ruling could make for a very interesting kit (for instance, making the Warcry band just a doubled Underworlds band. Yes, these would be foot units, but they could scratch a lot of itches at the same time.

19 hours ago, NatBrannigan said:

Love some new “normal people” models and love (love love) the suggestion above about Free cities boxes for Warcry. Can’t imagine that being anything but hugely popular. Could go for an over the top Napoleonic era Steampunk army made of all 3 races myself.

Is this merely a rumor or has there been any confirmation on this ? I do enjoy Warcry for the simple fast game it is, and really like the aesthetic of the Chaos Warbands, so could definitely see the amazing visual potential  CoS warband could have.

Edited by Myrdin

5 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

Is this merely a rumor or has there been any confirmation on this ? I do enjoy Warcry for the simple fast game it is, and really like the aesthetic of the Chaos Warbands, so could definitely see the amazing visual potential  CoS warband could have.

It's not even a rumour, just a wish we have. And it's a good idea.

Sadly, as much as we would like to, we are not the ones making business decisions for GW.

Edited by zilberfrid

25 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

It's not even a rumour, just a wish we have. And it's a good idea.

Sadly, as much as we would like to, we are not the ones making business decisions for GW.

Well honestly, and truthfully, while it certainly would be very cool to see, I personally dont mind if it doesnt happen. 

Warcry was meant to be mostly focused on the 6+ new Chaos Warbands, so I wouldnt mind it staying that way.  (While its nice they included cards for the old factions, some of those are badly balanced, even outright broken and ruin the game rather than add more to it, Ironjawz and FEC and I`d rather they didnt include them at all, as it kinda does ruin the Chaos Cult theme).

Though with Cities of Sigmar being finally fleshed out, and the knowledge that there are chaos cultist living directly within them  (like the Cypher Lords and Corvus Cabal), I think an expansion book for the Human/Aelf/Duardin residents would make a lot of sense.

Edited by Myrdin

1 hour ago, Myrdin said:

Well honestly, and truthfully, while it certainly would be very cool to see, I personally dont mind if it doesnt happen. 

Warcry was meant to be mostly focused on the 6+ new Chaos Warbands, so I wouldnt mind it staying that way.  (While its nice they included cards for the old factions, some of those are badly balanced, even outright broken and ruin the game rather than add more to it, Ironjawz and FEC and I`d rather they didnt include them at all, as it kinda does ruin the Chaos Cult theme).

Though with Cities of Sigmar being finally fleshed out, and the knowledge that there are chaos cultist living directly within them  (like the Cypher Lords and Corvus Cabal), I think an expansion book for the Human/Aelf/Duardin residents would make a lot of sense.

To be honest, Warcry is not for me, mainly because I can't play the faction I like, and investment is higher than Underworld.

If GW want to ensure good return from a sprue, making a few CoS ones that work for Underworld and for Warcry primarily, and put some variation in CoS units (specifically not asking for a separate warscroll) would be fun.

How these units are balanced within Underworld and Warcry is a separate story, but I would love to play some bumbling CoS fools that found themselves trapped in deadly game, and now have to win their way out.

8 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

To be honest, Warcry is not for me, mainly because I can't play the faction I like, and investment is higher than Underworld.

If GW want to ensure good return from a sprue, making a few CoS ones that work for Underworld and for Warcry primarily, and put some variation in CoS units (specifically not asking for a separate warscroll) would be fun.

How these units are balanced within Underworld and Warcry is a separate story, but I would love to play some bumbling CoS fools that found themselves trapped in deadly game, and now have to win their way out.

Good example of what you are talking about is Beastgrave, the last expansion for Underworld.

The Beastmen party in there is ACTUALLY not bad at all in AoS. While not super powerful the Grashrak’s Despoilers do bring a nice utility spell that the BoC desperately needed to have since day 1 of the army (its a simple To Hit buff against enemy units) launching.

So given that, I wouldn't put it behind GW to make something nice, that has a Warscroll with working synergy for CoS armies.

Edited by Myrdin
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been an avid 40k player for the last 6 years. I've tried to purchase AoS armies countless times, along with data cards, kits, battletomes, etc. and nothing really ever stuck with me. I just picked up the CoS battletome two weeks ago, and since then I've built over 1000 points of converted CoS models, bought another 1000 models, and have my own backstory and theme. It's the only book that has actively inspired me to actually get into AoS for real!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Morpheine said:

I have been an avid 40k player for the last 6 years. I've tried to purchase AoS armies countless times, along with data cards, kits, battletomes, etc. and nothing really ever stuck with me. I just picked up the CoS battletome two weeks ago, and since then I've built over 1000 points of converted CoS models, bought another 1000 models, and have my own backstory and theme. It's the only book that has actively inspired me to actually get into AoS for real!

Wow, you must really love them! Quite a backlog though, that's at least 100 boxes.

1 minute ago, zilberfrid said:

Wow, you must really love them! Quite a backlog though, that's at least 100 boxes.

Even more expensive given that I'm going with an Undead CoS theme... My army is based on the concept that they have been freed from Nagash's control and now serve Sigmar in their undead. Lots of poofy hats, skulls, boney arms, etc. The cost factors in when you consider how I have to buy Skeleton Hordes kits in addition to web order only CoS kits. It's a passion project though, and I've already converted up an undead griffon and 15 undead Pistoliers+steeds. 

This has been the most inspiring hobby project I've had in years.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

31 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

New Human Infantry and riders, also Witchhunters on Demigryphs 

For me, I agree with the crossbowmen, the current general and maybe the guard (pistoleers, demis, greatswords, general on griffin can stay), but we do need a mounted hero, and a witch hunter would be perfect!

1 hour ago, Morpheine said:

Even more expensive given that I'm going with an Undead CoS theme... My army is based on the concept that they have been freed from Nagash's control and now serve Sigmar in their undead. Lots of poofy hats, skulls, boney arms, etc. The cost factors in when you consider how I have to buy Skeleton Hordes kits in addition to web order only CoS kits. It's a passion project though, and I've already converted up an undead griffon and 15 undead Pistoliers+steeds. 

This has been the most inspiring hobby project I've had in years.

But did you really buy 1000 models, or 1000 points?

I think the skull imagery of old Empire works quite well for your purpose. Especially the skulls and reaper Demi is perfect for your usecase.

If the humans lose the 16th century German mercenary look, I'm out. It is the single element that got me into Warhammer in the first place. It's unique because they are low fantasy humans in a high fantasy setting and i love the grim and gritty nature of it. I have been waiting on a mounted general on demigryph for sooooo long. The gunner and guard troops could use an update but I like the "look" the way it is. Just look at the greatsword on the cover of our book! Thats the look people. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

But did you really buy 1000 models, or 1000 points?

I think the skull imagery of old Empire works quite well for your purpose. Especially the skulls and reaper Demi is perfect for your usecase.

Oops! Just saw the typo! I meant another 1000 points of Empire to forge a 2k list.

So far I've bought:
- Freeguild General on Griffon
- Freeguild General (old model w/ Mounted version)
- 6 Boxes of Pistoliers
- 1 Box of Crossbowmen
- Malign Sorcery
- Celestial Hurricanum
- Empire State Troopers
- Knight Azyros
- 3x Phoenix Guard

And for conversion bits:
- Skull box
- Start Collecting FEK (for the terrorgheist bits)
- 2 x Skeleton Warriors
- Black Coach
- 2x Hexwraiths
- Assorted others

Needless to say, it's been an expensive hobby month so far 😂

1 hour ago, Televiper11 said:

I agree that we need a Witch Hunter. Also a Warrior Priest. Hopefully regular and mounted versions.

I'm still a bit baffled why these were removed, especially the SoH chap. The former I could see due to "mould broke and we're down to our last stocks" but one only came out a couple of years ago. Nevermind Witch Hunters nearly rival Stormcast for the most prominent Black Library protagonists in AoS works.

The only explanation I could think of would be a future Temple of Sigmar Battletome, but that seems really niche, nevermind we still have Flagellants. 

I agree with a witch-hunter and priest being good choices for new models. I would also love to see a mounted captain / wizard for support.

i would also love to see a new model for a cannon. Ironweld just doesn’t feel like it should without a giant ******-off 20 pound cannon to hit the enemy from afar. It feels weaker without it, and the hellstorm / volley gun doesn’t scratch that same itch as a cannon would. I also want to see some Dwarven Calvary, possibly the stereotypical ram mount or maybe even a bear just to give some love to the stunties, complete with a mounted hero. 

Heck, I would accept new kits for freeguild if they have more influences. A badarse line of hopilites or a Roman esque phalanx would look pretty awesome in my opinion. Maybe a mixed race unit like they have in the Varanguard book, with dwarfs acting as a front line while humans poke spears out above them.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 6:07 PM, Clan's Cynic said:

I'm still a bit baffled why these were removed, especially the SoH chap. The former I could see due to "mould broke and we're down to our last stocks" but one only came out a couple of years ago. Nevermind Witch Hunters nearly rival Stormcast for the most prominent Black Library protagonists in AoS works.

The only explanation I could think of would be a future Temple of Sigmar Battletome, but that seems really niche, nevermind we still have Flagellants. 

I first thought the reason for the lack of Excelsior Warpriest was the odd sized gryph puppy on the sprue, but then found out the other heroes that would tie in with Cities well were also dumped.

I now have no clue.

11 hours ago, Kugane said:

Im actually considering to use some Dragon Empire models from titanforge instead of GW sculpts and go with a full on japanese themed army. I think the range is large enough to make it work.

Been there, done that :D
I believe there should be some pictures rolling around, however considering how the CoS thread exploded into like dozens of subthreads I cant remember in which mini thread I uploaded them.

If you want to go with Titan Forge, I would STRONGLY recommend waiting for Christmass as they tend to have a pretty good discount on their stock. 

I too still need more of the Dragon Cav (2) in order to run 6 man unit of Chocobos, 10 mixed komainu unit for Darkriders, at least one big shrine, 2 more chariots and some 20 more archers/handgunner, plus some battle monks. If I went with the purchase now ..... yeah you can imagine the price.  And I already have a solid chunk of their stuff, so for me its just expanding the army. In your case, if you`re  trying to build the from the scratch I`d recommend waiting for the big winter discounts that ought to come.

But of course if you have the funds and are short on time, dont let me stop you! :) 

I would recommend also checking the Cadwallon stuff. They have bunch of interesting miniatures you might wanna add to your collection (for example very nice fox-dragon riding miko priestess, great for Sorc on Bdragon or BatMage on Gryf.... although I`ve been toying with the idea of using her as Hurricanum as well).

6 hours ago, Myrdin said:

Been there, done that :D
I believe there should be some pictures rolling around, however considering how the CoS thread exploded into like dozens of subthreads I cant remember in which mini thread I uploaded them.

If you want to go with Titan Forge, I would STRONGLY recommend waiting for Christmass as they tend to have a pretty good discount on their stock. 

I too still need more of the Dragon Cav (2) in order to run 6 man unit of Chocobos, 10 mixed komainu unit for Darkriders, at least one big shrine, 2 more chariots and some 20 more archers/handgunner, plus some battle monks. If I went with the purchase now ..... yeah you can imagine the price.  And I already have a solid chunk of their stuff, so for me its just expanding the army. In your case, if you`re  trying to build the from the scratch I`d recommend waiting for the big winter discounts that ought to come.

But of course if you have the funds and are short on time, dont let me stop you! :) 

I would recommend also checking the Cadwallon stuff. They have bunch of interesting miniatures you might wanna add to your collection (for example very nice fox-dragon riding miko priestess, great for Sorc on Bdragon or BatMage on Gryf.... although I`ve been toying with the idea of using her as Hurricanum as well).

Thank you so much for the advice! I had no idea they had discounts near christmas so it likely saved me some money XD. Hows the overal quality of their stuff? I saw some people complain about snapping spears and poor resin such during the kickstarter, but I assume that might have been due to the massive overflow of orders they had at that time and people pressuring them to work faster.

I will go check the cadwallon range tonight. I own a few miniatures from the kensei range already, but they arent really heroic scale and somehow dont match well on an AOS force. I just feel like the titanforge stuff fits right in as if its some sort of fantastic forgeworld XD.

I am also not certain what to go for tbh, since the stuff is quite pricy I hope to build something semi competitive for local games, so should probably theory craft a bit before splurging. Guess I have until christmas =P.

43 minutes ago, Kugane said:

snip

Response to Kugane, but in general Off Topic for the thread, so spoiler tab to not take to much space :)

Spoiler

I have some Ninjas from Kensei. Honestly they are so tiny when put next to the Heroic Scale Titan Forge stuff, that I had to create my own, properly scaled ones in Hero Forge app, and am currently discussing how to 3D print those to use as Black Arc Corsair ^^

I do love their Shinobi though. Great poses, considering getting one or two to run as Assassins. 

Regarding the stuff you mentioned > I was a KS backer, so not sure if they changed their material later on, as I did my extra purchases shortly after the series was launched at their webstore. The miniatures are really nice, full of details and with very little flashing and almost no miscasts. The bigger stuff like the Dragon and Dragon Cav, are very well done, but require some fitting and little bit of Greenstuffing/pinning. The big dragon... careful about those. They weight a ton!.... Unlike plastic, which is just the outer shell, this thing is cast from solid resin meaning, its not hollow like usual plastic miniatures. Instead all of its parts are chunky bricks. Still didnt figure out how to assemble it. I am considering multiple strong magnets for each point, so it can be transported more easily but due to its weight the magnets used will have to be quite strong ones, but not strong enough to rip themselves out of the sockets once inserted .... no fun, no fun at all ><

The other stuff like Ashigaru and Samurai > you need good foams, that have no extra wiggle room in their sockets. Most of my ashigaru have bent weapons because the material is softer than plastic, and as they shake around during transport, often times they end up in a way where the weight of the model is pushed down on the weapon, and it completely bends. This can be fixed with hot water and prevented with tightly fit smaller scale foam cuts (example > most common foam is the 36 six miniature one of 9x4 row. I suggest getting the 5x10 for 50 minaitures rom Feldherr. Tighter fit = means less wiggle room = less bending. At least thats my plan).

The archers are very nice looking. The artillery weapons are nice, the chariots are nice. I mean overall for years it was hard to build Samurai themed armies because there were no real good options in the market. I got bunch of different minis from different companies and most of them are shajt. Especially when put next to Titan Forge stuff. 

I will try and send you some picture of the stuff I got so you can decide for yourself. Some un-asembled some painted, so you can take a look. Shoot me a PM so I dont forget if you are interested as I wont have time for it today and not sure about tomorrow.

Srsly Titan Forge is great. And now they are launching bloody amazons... and they look SOOO good. Makes me wish I`d start a Amazon themed Seraphon army off those... but cant. Already have 3 armies for AoS, and two of those are not even properly usable yet, never even mention other non AOS games

Edited by Myrdin