AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

I like the look of the horses, and the hero with the scythe. The rest don't really do it for me (big tomb kings fan). I admire the direction but sadly it doesn't scratch the itch. I wish everyone collecting them well though, even if I suspect this will be a very expensive army to collect. I'm also a little weirded out by the grinning visages and hunched postures.

Edited by Snakeb1te
  • Like 1

The Mortarch is a very nice model. I've always liked it when special characters have some other pose than just "screaming to the enemy" or "pointing at the enemy with the sword". He exudes command, he does look like a strategist reviewing troop logistics reports and battle plans.

In my opinion, some armies with buff commanders, more than smash commanders, need to take a hint from this. I'm looking at the hopefully new Freeguild general. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, El Syf said:

The four limbed things just really don't do it for me, but if Morghasts can be included as others have speculated it's all good. Maybe Morghasts get a Ossiarch Bonereapers warscroll profile like the black coach ended up with two profiles?

In the Warhammer weekly review they reported the GW reveal team said in the preview seminar that the morghasts would be included .

48 minutes ago, pacoxo said:

Am I the only one that doesn't like this army at all? Is like a Tomb King and a Necron had a weird child 

It is a bit like that. Its totally fine not to like them, as long as you don't hate other people for liking them (which you haven't so its all good).

2 hours ago, DarrinTheOccult said:

"Necropolis Stalkers, for instance, are infused with the souls of four legendary warriors apiece, giving them the ability to shift personalities mid-battle in order to change their fighting style. "

I also noticed this, which is clearly a hint of their rules. They insist in the article on Katakros being the best strategist of the mortal realms, so maybe he has some rules like multiple command abilities or so...

The ability to shift fighting style sounds interesting (as long as its not too complicated). My uneducated guess would be something like the Sequitor ability to chose to be more defensive/offensive. 

As for things about Katakros being the best strategist in the realms...… the community articles tend to be a bit hyperbolic. You may well be right, but personally I wouldn't assume too much about his actual warscroll from those comments. Although from the aforementioned preview seminar it sounds like he does have very interesting rules involving having to fight all the various attendants in the diorama in turn before Katakros himself steps off his dias to fight you personally, which makes him more powerful the more wounds he takes.  

5 minutes ago, Cèsar de Quart said:

The Mortarch is a very nice model. I've always liked it when special characters have some other pose than just "screaming to the enemy" or "pointing at the enemy with the sword". He exudes command, he does look like a strategist reviewing troop logistics reports and battle plans.

In my opinion, some armies with buff commanders, more than smash commanders, need to take a hint from this. I'm looking at the hopefully new Freeguild general. 

It's what irks me most about the remaining Freeguild General.

He is not leading, he is not strategizing, not inspiring his troops, not communicating with other armies, not inspecting his troops... 

Not doing anything I'd want a general to do, he's attacking, with a weapon meant to be used in close combat, where he does not have a view of the battlefield, and not a very defensive one either. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cèsar de Quart said:

He is going to be great contrast for my SCE and FEC heroes, and yeah, he does look amazing, a real proper general, surronded by his officers

14 minutes ago, Cargo Cult said:

And so you're back
From the other place
But I cannot understand how you got a nose upon your face.....

Haha dang I was just writing one for this line. 

Will they come back?

With one command?

Can you take them in the army with the guy with dusty hands?

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

It's what irks me most about the remaining Freeguild General.

He is not leading, he is not strategizing, not inspiring his troops, not communicating with other armies, not inspecting his troops... 

Not doing anything I'd want a general to do, he's attacking, with a weapon meant to be used in close combat, where he does not have a view of the battlefield, and not a very defensive one either. 

Yep, but they discontinued the plastic kit, so with the new battletome coming soon, we can expect a new plastic imperial general. The old one had a very cool horse but the porportions were so off that it could be laugable. The guy on foot had bigger boots than his head and a wasp waist that was very off-putting.

Edited by Cèsar de Quart

Ok, so.  First of all, these guys are capital G goofy, and I can really see where that would put a lot of people off.  For all their high fantasy mortal realmsy concept, they have a very oldhammer sense of humor to them, like a pre-6th-edition, funny illustrations in the margins sense of humor, and it even comes through a bit in how the mortarch has been portrayed in the previews, something I hope continues in novelization depictions.  Please GW, let this be the mortarch who enjoys himself, has a chuckle every now and then, maybe even some friendly banter with the heries while locked in mortal combat with them.  Affable Evil.

I forget who compared them to skeletor in the thread, but yeah, I agree, they've got a very 'Masters of the Universe' type of vibe to them - silly, super toyetic, dare I even say a bit camp?  Given the mortarch's bone thong, I think I just might.  And I can absolutely understand where some people do not like that.

Personally?  I love them.  Like, absolutely adore them.  I love He Man, I love Army of Darkness, I love Undertale, I love the oldhammer sense if humor, I love the song 'spooky scary skeletons',  I love funny names, I love minis that know they're just silly toys for kids who never grew up and aren't ashamed of that, and the Ossiarch Bonereapers are all of those things, and I will *absolutely* be doing my best lousy imitation of the Skeletor voice every time I play them, "Nyah Ha Ha"s and all.  Like, I'm going to be absolutely obnoxious about it, the couple of you on here who know me have been warned.

Beyond that, I've often expressed a desire to see an undead version of or counterpart to the stormcast eternals, preferably in the form of an expanded morghast faction with smaller flightless morghast infantry as their 'less elite than acfual morghasts but still very elite for death' core, and in that sense the Bonereapers are like a literal wish come true, because that's basically exactly what they are.

As for what else might be in this release that we haven't seen?  I hope to Nagash that the Castle Greyskull looking walls/fortification terrain in the background of the video is a real thing.  Don't know if I'd ever be able to afford it, but still.

I hope actual Morghasts are fieldable as a native part of the faction, not just as allies or part of a 'Legion of the Necropolis' side list.  Conceptually and Aesthetically they belong here, and if they are included that might have given the rules writers cause to re-examine their warscroll, which they've needed for a while, IMO.

I hooe there's a sphynx-like monster with howda/multipke riders situation, because that would be cool in itself and for counts as purposes.

On that note... considering them as a partial replacement for tomb kings.  The trebuchetss are bigger than the tk screaming skull catapults, but not by so much that I think you couldn't use the old modrls in thrir place.  The four armed things look close enough in size and concept to Ushabti (fingers crossed for a version with ranged weapons).  Between scythy wizard and scroll dude, we should have reasonable stand-ins for liche priests and necrotects.

The new infantry may or may not be too big for you to field tomb guard as them, but if they are too big you can always run tomb guard as grave guard. the cavalry may or may not be big enough for you to run necroknights as them.

Assuming we get a Legion of the Necropolis army blending these guys with, at the very least, deathrattle, you could get pretty far for 'counts as' modern rules for an old tomb king army.  We're still missing chariots, archers, sphynxes, giants, stalkers scorpions, & casket, but we haven't seen everything for this release yet, and Deathrattle itself is still due for it's own separate faction at some point in the future.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Cargo Cult said:

I should have kept Egyptian looks, I should have stayed in old Khemri
If I'd known for just one second you'd be back to replace me

Go on now go, bleed on the floor
Just pay your tithe now,
Else you won't be living anymore

• Like 1

Do you hear that? That scratching and the sound of tiny feet? 

Is it a bug, a mouse, a bat? I wonder what we'll meet. 

It's in the floorboards atop our heads, it's in the wood beneath our sheets. 

That raspy noise, that rattling, that mettling, it's the night battling the light of day. 

There's a shadow down there, settling across our hay. 

Do you hear it, that whistling? Do you see it, that glistening green? 

And do you hear that skreech? And have you seen? 

It broke down  the castle walls. 

Why don't you say anything? 

And, my love -

- instead of eyes, why are there holes? 

Edited by AHexInScarletRed

56 minutes ago, Cargo Cult said:

And so you're back
From the other place
But I cannot understand how you got a nose upon your face.....

I was thinking 

"Lizards are back,

from outer space

There's skaven running evrywhere and dwarves are all over the place"

basically because I don't know when this dude was entombed, I thought it may be during the age of myth. Your version is better.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

Do you reckon these guys have bones inside their bones?

#AOSShowerThoughts

Also back onto topic of the models I find it a little visually odd how the catapault has such a massive frame but looks to be hurling some small skulls instead of something like a giant flaming bone skull...

Though the idea of these things following behind the front lines and yeeting skulls at enemies is quite amusing. Even more so if you imagine a legion of skeletons behind them just handing the crew their heads to fire.

I really really adore the cavalry featured though. I hope they have good rules, and I'm also hoping this army does become an elite one ala stormcast.  We have enough horde in death as it is!

• Like 1