AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

So after many years of service, my Arkhan (and Mannfred/Neferata) finally snapped at the tail and can no longer support itself, even with my (admittedly mediocre) pinning job. Does anyone have any experience adding a flying stand or extra ruins to the base to support the weight with something that is the appropriate height? All the flying stands I have from are too short. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I do!  One second....

Ok.  So I never did trust that skinny tail to support these guys long term, and even if it could there's nothing I dislike more in my models than wobbliness, so I went out of my way to anchor both my dread abyssal riding mortarchs with some scenic basing.  This can be a statue, pillar, obelisk, rocky outcropping, tree, or what have you.  for the way I posed mine I wanted something reasonably tall but slightly forward leaning.

For my Mannfred I went with a statue from a spare sigmarite mausoleum kit for a nice gothic feel (well, originally it was arkhan toppling the statue of rival death god Morr, but my arkhan rides a chariot now and it still works for manny).  In contrast my Neferata wanted something a bit more classical feeling, so she uses an obelisk from the arcane ruins kit chopped down to be the right height and angle.  That kit's out of print, but its not hard to find Egyptian style pillars & statues for minis terrain that would work even better for her.

Either way, fitting everything together will likely involve repositioning the ghosties (I had to leave one off entirely from manny's steed), gluing the abyssal's forelimbs & armor plate at slightly unorthodos angles, & possibly reposing the claws, particularly the thumbs, by cutting them off at a joint and gluing them back in place once the hands are firmly affixed to your new anchor piece.  Thankfully spirit hosts are intangible & can fly through stuff, so you can justify chopping notches in your scenery or trimming ghostly tendrils so they "overlap"

It's a bit of work - likely more work for you as you had yours built already, at the very least I expect you'll have to pin the tail w/ some sturdy wire - but the resulting peace of mind is more than worth it, & imo doesn't look half bad.

865300162_Project202204291656.png.02143fc828577d30e6475806bbc49628.png

10608063_Project202204291657.png.fd2731a16ab9074ee3d9b54f9391a3c5.png

1127804451_Project202204291703.png.7d7a46e7021dbd5d5d9643f796a0630d.png

1586868517_Project202204291659.png.0d65770b6d47e046051765d9412c2cfa.png

1597949910_Project202204291700.png.ce24a0e77b84cd88eead40839c954822.png

2122365234_Project202204291701.png.51cc6bd942632a2445528c368548cb8a.png

Edited by Sception
  • Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 2

So it’s been a while since i posted here. It hasn’t been much of an excited time. I did enjoy the WD update, but it doesn’t make or break anything in all honesty. What does however change our situation is the Krondspine Incarnate of Ghur. Now forst of all aesthetically he fits us well, being like a bony elemental incarnate, but he also deals with some elements that are our weakness.

First and foremost: In his aura of domination he allows us to re-roll charges. As we all know, with the new 3.0 that was 1 of our biggest weaknesses, now we have a tool to get it done. Second, he can lock units down for us by not allowing to retreat. For us not being able to retreat is a minor issue, we can put up a shield wall and survive, for many other factions this is a big deal. For example countering the new Nighthaunt ethereal trait.
Or just having fast units retreat onto objectives. He debuffs enemy wizard, so that we can have more magic dominance and he allows us to re-roll runs, which can just boost our mobility by a bunch. The downside for us is that we can’t benefit from its all out attack aura, nor buff it with it, but overall i think the pro might outweight the con with this monster. I made a list with it, including 3 monsters for easier access to VP.  The Grand Strat is pretty achievable too. If you don’t play the battle pack, just go for beast master and pick some different battalions.

Spoiler

Army Faction: Ossiarch Bonereapers
    - Army Subfaction: Petrifex Elite
    - Grand Strategy: Lord of Incarnates
    - Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

LEADER

Arkhan the Black (360)*
    - General
    - Spells: All of the spells

Mortisan Soulmason (140)**
    - General
    - Command Traits: Mighty Archaeossian
    - Artefacts: Godbone Armour
    - Spells: Empower Nadirite Weapons
    - Bonding: Krondspine Incarnate of Ghur

Mortisan Boneshaper (135)**
    - Spells: Drain Vitality

BATTLELINE

1 x Mortek Guard (280)*
    - Nadirite Blade and Shield

Mortek Guard (140)**

Mortek Guard (140)**

BEHEMOTH

Krondspine Incarnate of Ghur (400)*

Gothizzar Harvester (215)**
    - Soulcrusher Bludgeons

TERRAIN

Bone-tithe Nexus (0)

OTHER

Morghast Harbingers (185)
    - Spirit Halberd

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Incarnate Masters of Ghur

**Battle Regiment

TOTAL POINTS: (1995/2000)

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sception said:

Quick note: bonding an incarnate is considered an enhancement - ie, named characters can't do it.

It is considered a unique enhancement and i thought i dropped it on the Soul Mason lol. It’s still confusing, since the app allows you to put it on named characters without any issues! 

New OBR player with a bit of a problem.

I'm currently building the army and love the theme and look of every unit bar one. The Mortek guard. They're just too diddy for me to see them as Nagash's elite infantry. My son's Deathrattle Skeletons are currently towering over them and they barely come up to the belly of his new Stormcast. Is there a lore reason why Nagash made them so adorably tiny?

Has anyone found a model range I could proxy in as a replacement for them?

Any help would be much appreciated. 

• Like 1

Try searching yeggi or some other 3d print file house for 'Bone Collecters' or 'Morta Legion' to find print files for knock off ossiarchs.  As 3d files, you can with a little work scale them yourself before printing, though if you upsize them much you'll have a hard time fitting them on 25mm bases.

Honestly, I'm still kind of surprised morteks aren't bigger models on 32mm bases, because yeah, lore wise that would make more sense, even if model wise it would make them dramatically more expensive (likely the same price for a box of 10 instead of 20) and game wise it would make them significantly worse (no over the shoulder attacks for the 1" blades would lead to significant damage reduction under the 3rd edition coherency rules.  In every aspect other than aesthetics, it's a good thing that they're tiny.  But yeah, the aesthetics /are/ weird.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm going to start an OBR army from the Battleforce box pretty soon. What would you guys say is the way to play Bonereapers right now? I'd like to use Katakros if possible. Is Katakros + two Crawlers still a thing?

Looking through the subfactions, Pertifex seems the best overall once again. Even with Katakros being locked into Mortis Praetorians.

How about Nagash lists, since I already own his model?

6 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I'm going to start an OBR army from the Battleforce box pretty soon. What would you guys say is the way to play Bonereapers right now? I'd like to use Katakros if possible. Is Katakros + two Crawlers still a thing?

Looking through the subfactions, Pertifex seems the best overall once again. Even with Katakros being locked into Mortis Praetorians.

How about Nagash lists, since I already own his model?

Crawlers and Nagash are pretty bad right now. Crawlers are reeeeally missing rend. So a AOD can totally stop it from doing anything. And Nagash has no ward protection against normal damage, which makes him super squishy.

Subfactionwise it is either Petrifex or Praetorians all the time.

I can really recommend Arkhan, Katakros, 40 Mortek, 10 Deathriders and the underworld warband as a base.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I'm going to start an OBR army from the Battleforce box pretty soon. What would you guys say is the way to play Bonereapers right now?

I have similar plan and decided to supplement the battleforce box with the Horrek's Dreadlance box (Liege Kavalos + 10 deathriders) and Mortisan Soulmason. The plan is to paint the 1000 pts. army first - Liege Kavalos, Soulmason, 20 Mortek Guards, 5 Deathriders, 3 Stalkers. I think this should be playable.

12 hours ago, Archibald said:

Crawlers and Nagash are pretty bad right now. Crawlers are reeeeally missing rend. So a AOD can totally stop it from doing anything. And Nagash has no ward protection against normal damage, which makes him super squishy.

Subfactionwise it is either Petrifex or Praetorians all the time.

I can really recommend Arkhan, Katakros, 40 Mortek, 10 Deathriders and the underworld warband as a base.

I suspected that would be the case from a first glance. But it's fine for now, I won't need the army to be super competitive right away.

I think I will definitely pick up Katakros (because how could you not?) and probably another 20 Mortek, and then reasses once I have most of my stuff painted. The new GHB is close, after all, who knows what change that will bring?

1 minute ago, Flippy said:

I have similar plan and decided to supplement the battleforce box with the Horrek's Dreadlance box (Liege Kavalos + 10 deathriders) and Mortisan Soulmason. The plan is to paint the 1000 pts. army first - Liege Kavalos, Soulmason, 20 Mortek Guards, 5 Deathriders, 3 Stalkers. I think this should be playable.

So I will probably have the following models available before too long:

Katakros

Boneshaper 

Soulreaper

20 to 40 Mortek

3 Stalkers/Immortis 

2 Crawlers

1 Harvester

I think beginning Katakros+Crawlers from there makes sense to start. Then, I think your suggestion of picking up the Soulmason and Horreks Dreadlance  makes a lot of sense. The Tithe Echelon box is cool, it just kinda sucks that it has the two heroes in it that I want the least.

---

On another note, what does everyone think about the other legions besides Praetorians/Petrifex?

It seems to me like Stalliarch Lords and Null Myriad should at least have some play. The Stalliarch army wide run and retreat and charge looks pretty good for a faction as slow as OBR. Null Myriad seems a bit match up dependent, but their spell shrug is pretty powerful and they get that nice infinite rend artefact.

Take this with a grain of salt, but according to a friend of mine, these are the new points ( i will only point out the units/spells that had changes to it)
Liege Kavalos: to 170 (-15)
Mortisan Boneshaper: to 115 (-20)
Mortisan Soulmason: to 115 (-25)
Arkhan the black: to 340 (-20)
Immortis guard: to 175 (-15)
Morghast Archai: to 185 (-5)
Morghast Harbingers: to 180 (-5)
Necropolis Stalkers: to 175 (-5)
Bone-tithe shrieker: to 50 (-35)
Nightmare Predator: to 60 (-5)
Soulstealer Carrion: to 50 (-35)

Pictures confirm, fake is possible but unlikely.

Making all the mortisans 115, when the soulmason is so obviously better and the soulreaper so obviously worse, is just bizarre to me.  The endless spells, particularly the shriker, might see some more play, especially considering the white dwarf update.  Otherwise I don't see any of the remaining changes being large enough to make a big difference, but I'm no expert on the current competitive scene.

1 hour ago, Sception said:

Pictures confirm, fake is possible but unlikely.

Making all the mortisans 115, when the soulmason is so obviously better and the soulreaper so obviously worse, is just bizarre to me.  The endless spells, particularly the shriker, might see some more play, especially considering the white dwarf update.  Otherwise I don't see any of the remaining changes being large enough to make a big difference, but I'm no expert on the current competitive scene.

I think the biggest change for OBR comes not from point changes, but from the fact that you can't avoid Mortek Guard becoming Galletian Veterans, which I think strongly reduces their tankiness and ability to grind out engagements due to the +1 damage Bounty Hunters get against them. Even a 3+ rerolling save should not be enough to mitigate that.

16 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I think the biggest change for OBR comes not from point changes, but from the fact that you can't avoid Mortek Guard becoming Galletian Veterans, which I think strongly reduces their tankiness and ability to grind out engagements due to the +1 damage Bounty Hunters get against them. Even a 3+ rerolling save should not be enough to mitigate that.

Eh, we'll see.  My understanding - though I could be wrong - is that you only get a max 3 units of the hunters.  Tie them up with horses, or use proving grounds to deny them objectives.  Doesn't matter if they've killed your morteks if you're going to win on objectives anyway.

Plus, morteks themselves can be hunters.  If both sides of an infantry fight get +1 damage against the other, I think I'm still gonna give that to petrifex morteks or praetorean morteks under katakros a lot of the time.  It'll be uglier than before, but still.  Alternatively, the 'count as 3 for objective holding' battalion would mean even 4 morteks left in a unit would still out-capture a unit of 10 hunters.  And, again, with proving grounds even a single mortek out-captures any number of non jelly vets.

I think it's a better season for soublight or nighthaunts, sure.  obr struggle while they're stuck with a book that doesn't know how to play 3rd edition.  I don't think anybody expects that to change until a new battletome for them is out.

It's a max of three bounty hunters per battalion but there's nothing that stops multiple of the same battalion currently.

With so much murdering happening (more models attacking on both sides) a slight buff for bonereapers is battleshock immunity being better in this meta. Opponents can only use the command to make one unit not roll battleshock so bonereapers will play kinda like the inverse of nighthaunt where you press multiple combats to force shock without having to take it yourself.

Could be a good season for crematorians as they'll do well into grindy hoard match ups and the extra damage will help force more shocks.

1 hour ago, Rors said:

It's a max of three bounty hunters per battalion but there's nothing that stops multiple of the same battalion currently.

The Bounty hunter battalion (just like Hunters of the Heartlands in the present GHB) can only be taken once

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

The Bounty hunter battalion (just like Hunters of the Heartlands in the present GHB) can only be taken once

Ah okay, is this an assumption or is it official? What you're saying makes sense though.

At this point, I am skeptical OBR will benefit from the new meta. Mortek are the only way for this faction to get access to Galletian Veterans, and they really don't do well with Bounty Hunters in play. Reinforced Mortek will have a harder time grinding down opponents and MSU Mortek are unattractive due to their high points. The possibility of putting Mortek into Bounty Hunters has been brought up, but is that really a good choice for a slow unit that can't pick its engagements?

Maybe a shift to fast stuff like Deathriders and Morghasts will be good, but that will make it hard to score on the points that require Galletian Veteran. Definitely a challenge. On the plus side, the point drops make it easier to take endless spells, which have apparently be buffed as well. The option to get an un-unbindable cast of those from that one heroic action might be a cool thing to lean into.

Managed to win a game against OBR this weekend as Slaanesh using all the new GHB accouterments. The Krondspine roared his squad of 30 mortek and without hunters that was the deathknell. 

Some of the battleplans heavily incentivise big old squads of GV, and I can see OBR doing well on those. his 30/20 Mortek were coutning as 90 and 60 on objectives respectively, so good luck removing that if you can't get roar off (I charged his squad of 20 mortek with a bounty hunter unit and they just bounced off for 2 turns in a row as usual). If you can protect your MG from being roared you should be fine. But monsters are a serious threat now and need to be dealt with for the boney boys.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Talas said:

Heads-up! Immortis Guard and Necropolis Stalkers are now battleline if general is a Mortisan.

That's actually super nice. I was just thinking recently about how if OBR got their tome today, Stalkers would definitely be battleline, and now they actually are!

Definitely brings me closer to owning a legal 2000 point army with just the battleforce box and a few extra models, as well.