AoS 2 - Orruk Warclans Discussion

Malakithe

Does a ranged unit have any place in a list like this? or is it a waste of the +1 +1 melee.

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (150)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)

Battleline
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Pig-iron Choppas
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (360)

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 181

• LOVE IT! 1

14 hours ago, Chase said:

Without ever working with the sprues it's hard to tell. How many boxes do I need if I want to build 30 savage, 30 arrow, and 12 units of stabbas? How much conversion potential do I have to work with? 

A single box currently contains 20 torsos and then enough bits to create 2 bosses, 2 musicians, and 2 standard bearers.  In addition, you can also create 2 big stabbas but those use 2 torsos each.

So if you build all of the stabbas from the box you can then also build 16 infantry of whatever type.  So every 2 boxes gives you a unit of 30, 4 big stabbas, and 2 extra bodies you can do whatever with - such as convert them into heros like Wardoks.

It is also possible to get the individual torsos on eBay for relatively cheap sometimes and use those to make the stabbas.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chase said:

With the 2 extra bodies, does it come with extra limbs? I could just 3d print the big stabba spear

Yeah, there are arms for each of the torsos and a few extra in the kit.  However, the torsos for these models is a bit weird in that most of them have at least one arm on the body and then the weapon options are hand replacements.

That said, this kit has a ton of parts in it and you will end up with spare heads, weapons, and arms for days.  You won’t have a shortage of pieces to convert with.

In addition, if you want to convert some extra big stabbas you should google big stabbas conversions.  There are a lot out there and they are not hard.  I have seen the banner/totem in the kit turned into a big stabba conversion and it can work pretty well depending on your skill.  I made some extra ones myself and I bought a bag of like 100 random real shark teeth off ebay for a couple dollars (maybe $5) and they made great alternate spear-heads.  So the conversion is pretty simple.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 2/22/2020 at 7:20 AM, svnvaldez said:

Does a ranged unit have any place in a list like this? or is it a waste of the +1 +1 melee.

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (150)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Maniak Weirdnob (120)

Battleline
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
- Pig-iron Choppas
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (360)

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 181

Yeah I personally still like the Arrow Boys in builds like this. It's still a combat heavy army, so you're getting plenty of juice out of those +1s

Quite often I'm glad to have a bit of damage before the combat phase, so I'd find it hard to drop them

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 5:42 AM, broche said:

hey @PlasticCraic ever played against Bonereaper with bonesplitterz? Never had a chance to test the matchup but I susptect it's pretty bad.

Yeah I've beaten them (and lost to them) with my Drakkfoot army. They don't reroll saves against shooting so that helps your cause. And I found that Pebbles could knock them on the head pretty effectively with that rend -2.

It's not a bad matchup if you just whittle down their units to a few models then bang them on the head. 

For a real anti-OBR build, Ben Savva in the UK beats them every time with his Bonegrinz. Now he *is* Ben Savva, so there's that, but he is running a low drop Kopp Rukk build to achieve that.

• Thanks 1

Guys, I need your opinion about my Big Waaagh! list.
I'm a bonesplitterz player and I'd like to keep most of them on the list. Of course IJ brings us rend and this is not inconsiderable.... but I love my bones' and they lore. I'de like to know if this kind of list works well or if it's not a little bit pricey  to play only a Mega Boss on MK.

The goal is to let the MK use his command ability Brutish Cunning to move at my 1st hero phase and then let the boarboys run and charge with brutal rukk. The Prophet is definitely the man in every big waaagh list because he can cast spell with +3/4/5 (with big waaagh and different bonuses). Last game against 3x30 phoenix guards (FNP 4+) he killed them in every phase of magic between 8 and 12 in a pack...and it would be better against Mortek guards (FNP 6+) ... WTF 😅

Behind then, 3x30 savage will block the enemy units and protect heroes from some deep strikes or invocations. 

Let me know :) 

2kBigWaaagh!-MegabossMK-BrutalRukk.pdf

1 hour ago, hurben said:

The Prophet is definitely the man in every big waaagh list because he can cast spell with +3/4/5 (with big waaagh and different bonuses). Last game against 3x30 phoenix guards (FNP 4+) he killed them in every phase of magic between 8 and 12 in a pack...and it would be better against Mortek guards (FNP 6+) ... WTF 😅

I keep telling people he's the best warscroll in the book and half of then don't even realise he's in there.

I used him at slaughter with +1 trait and +1/2 artefact. Throw in arcane and the wardokk dance I got him up to +7 to cast in one game 🤯

7 wounds, solid in combat, 4+ CP, unbelievably good warscroll spell and has access to Gorkamorkas warcry. Oh and he's a 2 cast wizard. So so good.

So at slaughter this weekend Gabe Huddleston went 4 wins and a draw with Big waaagh. Was an MK, 10 Brutes ironfist, bunch of ardboys. Not 100% on the full list but it had no GGs I believe.

There was also @Skeekrit on 3/2 with 75 ardboys in an ardfist 😮 one of his losses was to my jammy rolls in our game 1 grude. I also went 3-2 with a combo ardfist+gg/brutes ironfist and a bunch of magic.

My big three big takeaways were

1) I still hate brutes, big waaagh has way more cps to IP them at least which alleviates the bravery issue. I can see why a unit of 10 could work. To be honest though I've been the ardboy boss for 2 and a half years now so it's definately a ton of personal bias.

2) The combo of a Wurrgog general with morks boney bits, master of the weird and a wardokk with the waaagh mask is just as good as I hoped it would be. Fisted a ton of people and Gorkamorkas warcry On +3 base is sweet. I'd probably take a different spell on the wardokk though, he never cast the warcry just because it wasn't worth the risk.

3) Wrath of Gork is a good spell which is hampered by it's range and radius. I'd either take it with a balewind or just go hand of gork. There were a couple of times wrath was out of range and I would have killed for a HoG. The 4" budge from a balewind and extra 6" range giving it a threat of 26" would make a massive difference. 

I need to check but I don't think balewind increases the radius, only the range. That would still be a much needed boost though.

Just got home from a tournament myself and went 2-3.  I ran the footboss/ironfist list we discussed @Malakree. First rounded I routed against FEC. Got brutes into his Geist and just made him go poof. Second round I  beat up some gitz on Battle for the Pass. His stabba turtle made it real easy to keep scoring both 2 point objectives. Round 3 and 4 it all fell apart. Got paired up with two different tzeentch lists. First one had 18 flamers and a nice 20 unit of pinks to screen. My shining moment came though when I got a fully buffed/waaaghed 10 unit of brutes in and 6 pigs. 69!!! 69 wounds caused by the brutes into the horrors. Just melted the whole unit. And then pigs mopped it up. Everything immediately shot off the board in the following shooting phase :( round four was more horrors less flamers. Board control was too strong though. 40 horrorsand couldn’t maneuver and kept getting stuck in combat and flamed. Last game sylvaneth. Was drained from the back to back tzeentch pairings and just focused on practicing caution but random d3s for objectives cost me the game. Another big tournament in a month. 

learned a lot. Brutes were great besides the runaway issue. They’d blend what they touched but also be vulnerable to retaliation. Lost 3 one round, turned into 6 after battle shock. More IP protection is needed  

tzeentch is just hard to imagine right now. Lots of mortals coming out in hero. Then lots of rend 1 d3 damage happening.  100 wound battle lines. Stuff just turns into magic dust.  That’s gotta be the main lesson I learned this weekend. 

• Like 1

I posted this to some friends last night following Sheffield:

I played Sheffield Slaughter this weekend and threw some thoughts on twitter (@Skeekrit) but thought some of you may be interested in what I took and the games

Army:

Big Waaagh!

Orruk Megaboss; Brutish Cunning; Metalclaw Rippa

Warchanter

Warchanter

Weirdnob; Great Green Visions; Hand of Grok

Ardboyz (20,20,20,10,5)

Ardfist

Command Point

Game 1: vs Big Waaagh!

Lost - I charged 20 buffed Ardboyz into 15 buffed Ardboyz. Killed 2, he killed 8... then Goregrunta boss killed Megaboss in one turn; meaning I couldn't attack with him. Boo - bad @Malakree :)

Game 2: vs Skaven

Won - I cleared the chaff (night runners) then 40 plague monks killed 20 Ardboyz; 10 Ardboyz killed all Plague monks, and they killed me back with Death Frenzy

Stormfiends shot off another 20 unit, but I got the 4+ to get the unit back; and took his home objective. Win; although couldn't kill Stormfiends

Game 3: vs Nurgle

Won - Great game; we were swapping objectives, but my 20 Ardboyz came back and priority roll meant opponent couldn't react. I walked onto his other objective and got unassailable lead.

Game 4: vs Idoneth Deepkin

Won - Just not enough bodies; so I could afford to lose lots. Gotrek killed 40 Ardboyz, and again I only got one unit back; but he couldn't catch my early lead and the armies of bodies in my army. I did fail all my hands of Gorks including 2 double 1s with +3 to cast... oh dear!

Game 5: vs Ogor Mawtribes (Stonehorns)

Lost - Stonehorn army... ouch! I took first turn, cast hand of Gork but tried to badly hurt one of the Stonehorns. I did 7 wounds; but he killed 11 Ardboyz meaning I couldn't take the objective. The Stonehorns then killed the world.

I made a big mistake though - I fought near the Mawpot, which meant it was always refilled and healed 23 wounds over the game. Hopefully I learn from this

Ardfist - great fun, but I only brought 4 units back out of 16 opportunities (4+ required) so a little disappointed with that. It's such a swingy roll.

I may swap Megaboss and one unit of 20 for a Mawkrusha at the next tournament.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Malakree said:

3) Wrath of Gork is a good spell which is hampered by it's range and radius. I'd either take it with a balewind or just go hand of gork. There were a couple of times wrath was out of range and I would have killed for a HoG. The 4" budge from a balewind and extra 6" range giving it a threat of 26" would make a massive difference. 

I need to check but I don't think balewind increases the radius, only the range. That would still be a much needed boost though.

Have you toyed around with Umbral Spellportal? It is twice the cost, but it could make turn 1 snipe very real if the Wurrgog throws down the Umbral Spellportal near the Weirdnob. 34" range with the possibility of being outside of unbinding range. If need be you could also MD the Weirdnob into the right position.

I really want to practice a list with this, but I'm a bit afraid of pumping too many points into a Wurrgog, Weirdnob, Balewind and Spellportals. 

22 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Have you toyed around with Umbral Spellportal? It is twice the cost, but it could make turn 1 snipe very real if the Wurrgog throws down the Umbral Spellportal near the Weirdnob. 34" range with the possibility of being outside of unbinding range. If need be you could also MD the Weirdnob into the right position.

I really want to practice a list with this, but I'm a bit afraid of pumping too many points into a Wurrgog, Weirdnob, Balewind and Spellportals. 

So I don't actually have a spell portal painted 😅 it's kinda hard to fit into my list the way I'm running it. The balewind I can fit in with only a little bit of tweaking.

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Wardokk (80)

Battleline
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- Pig-iron Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Units
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)

Battalions
Ardfist (120)
Ironfist (160)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 145

1 hour ago, Skabnoze said:

What mixed list would you like to run if you had the models?

Maybe something like this

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
Wardokk (80)
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Chompas
20 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (240)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 230

As a starting point. Using the savage orruks for bodies etc. rather than Ardboys and the GG's for the hammer. Arrowboys for even more reach. I'd play around form there but I don't have the experience with savage orruk units to properly judge.

Maybe this instead.

EDIT:

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
Wardokk (80)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
- Pig-iron Choppas
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Balewind Vortex (40)

Wounds: 194

The arrowboys providing a massive amount of bodies/wounds along with their ranged potential so they can sit on objectives and still contribute.

Edited by Malakree

5 hours ago, Malakree said:

Maybe something like this

As a starting point. Using the savage orruks for bodies etc. rather than Ardboys and the GG's for the hammer. Arrowboys for even more reach. I'd play around form there but I don't have the experience with savage orruk units to properly judge.

Maybe this instead.

EDIT:

The arrowboys providing a massive amount of bodies/wounds along with their ranged potential so they can sit on objectives and still contribute.

the thing that gets me with multiple units of arrowboyz is that without the +1 to hit buff spell or the exploding 6's from the maniak wierdnob their output is really not good.   Much more efficient I think to stack the buffs on a single unit of 30 (or in this case since you don't have the maniak its even less effective to have that second unit). I know if you roll doubles you can apply it to both, but that is just too unreliable to count on I think.  A unit of 30 orruks with +1 to hit (assuming proper everything in range) is dealing out 22.5 wounds a pop on average.  A unit of 20 orruks with +1 to hit and a unit of 20 orruks without modifiers (again assuming all 40 are in range) is dealing out 25 wounds.  Doesn't feel like that is worth the extra 120pts.   Granted, there are other advantages like more bodies, but even still I think I'd rather have 10 basic savage orruk screeners, or a maniak wierdnob for the extra high probability caster, especially since combining exploding 6's and +1 to hit on 30 arrow boyz results in an average of 30 wounds per shooting phase. 

Going a step further lets say you added the maniak wierdnob but kept the 2 units of 20, but spread the buffs around between the 2, you are looking at... 30 wounds!  Exactly the same result 120pts more.  Just feels like no matter which way you slice it the buffs stacked on 1 unit make more sense then 2 units of 20.  I think the big exception that comes to mind is with kunnin ruck, where 1 unit of 20 with +1 to hit is looking at 30 wounds dealt, and 40 wounds with both buffs.  Since you are investing so many points into the combo at that point the redundancy of taking 2 units seems to make sense.  Idk totally could be missing something here though.

Edited by tripchimeras

@tripchimeras You're actually slightly misunderstanding why I have them. In every list I build I always consider how I'm going to screen any teleporting etc. into my backline and how I'm going to protect isolated objectives. The Arrowboys aren't there for their shots or damage, that's just a nice bonus. They are there because it's a massive amount of wounds, bodies and more importantly coverage.

Take a scenario like escalation. A single Arrowboys unit of 20 is covering my entire board edge and a large amount of my territory just by existing. I'm paying 30 points more than a unit of 5 Ardboys to get double the number of bodies AND they are also a reasonably strong ranged threat which is important in the current meta.

I don't actually want a unit of 30 buffed up arrowboys. In the first list it's the Savage Orruks I would be buffing to act as a massive and very dangerous anvil in the middle of the board, the hammer is two highly mobile units of 6 GG's which are going to be supported by a warchanter each. For the second list I have an Ironjawz core which is terrifying to deal with, they can easily push forward and threaten anything I want. The arrowboys are there to sit behind the hammer and take potshots while stopping any/all shenanigans.

If you look at basically every list I build they all run at least 2 min sized units to provide screening/space control for deepstriking and to provide presence on outlying objectives. This is a trend which goes back to my 2017 lists which ran a unit of 20 Gitmob with bows for exactly that purpose. My gitz lists still run 2 units of 3 fellwaters for outlying objective holding AND at least 1 unit of 20 shootas for backline screening. My preference is always for 3 backline screening but 20 arrowboys is way better than 10 and doesn't negatively impact their potential.

EDIT: I got some example pictures previously of me doing it in game. They show how I'm using cheap min str units quite well I think.

20190323_143401.jpg.a96ec0b0e4f8c13815357298e95c5e6b.jpg.aba5e5960c2a76a723350fd6b42b413a.jpg 

120 points to stop the eels coming on in my deployment zone.

20190323_180811.jpg.5cbab1101dc00c591abedb60385646a7.jpg.87b598a8cbbf9a01dc78ea10841c4588.jpg

The black dice in the middle represent the only area he can get his tunneling hero and 30 Irondrakes in the picture outside of his deployment zone. Even then Mollog and the giant are zoing his deployment zone hard as well. This particular one won me the game by putting them so far out of position that they never became relevant.

Edited by Malakree

So a couple of days late, but Big Waaagh completely smashed it at Summer Smash in Australia, getting #1, #2 and #3! Congrats btw. :)  @PlasticCraic 

1st spot

Spoiler

image.png.eb87f9f3c3c67287aeb4c53650f7b8b4.png

2nd spot

Spoiler

image.png.db3e0ebdb7a9f2cd063728a8531f8a8c.png

3rd spot

Spoiler

image.png.43cfeb0285ddd3c323fb699fe10d6157.png

The 1st list is largely Ironjawz, yet still got 30 Savage dudes. The other two are alot more mixed. They all have 2 big threats each and a lot of wounds. I'm really surprised that the Ironjawz focused list manages to get to 172 wounds.

I'm a little sad that the lists don't have their spells selected. I'm curious what the Wardokk had in the 1st list. Cheap access to Gorkamorka's Warcry, or is he there to stack saves on the Savage Orruks so they can tank an objective?

Edited by Kasper
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, hurben said:

If it’s for taking objectives or block enemy units why don’t you use a bataillon to have less drops and take the table first round 1?

Because I need to do it for most of the game against a whole bunch of different armies? KO/Changehost get teleports everyturn that I'm screening out.

Also IJ based big waaagh! isn't going below 4/5 drops which means you're not getting to choose a large portion of the time anyway.

On 2/21/2020 at 3:45 AM, Lanoss said:

@Ravinsild

HIT & RUN TACTIKS

Allegiance: Ironjawz
- Warclan: Bloodtoofs
Mortal Realm: Shyish
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Command Trait: Get Da Realmgate 
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 
- Mount Trait: Big 'Un
- Artefact: Quickduff Amulet 
- Mount Trait: Loud 'Un
- Mount Trait: Weird 'Un
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Jagged Gore-hackas
Gorefist (130)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 90

Hit and Run tactics Continued:

I have been thinking a great deal about how to improve upon bloodtoofs and I keep coming to a point where i want more min units of Gore gruntas.  I think the ability to have two units of 3 hit an enemy unit, and then reposition one of them, could be very powerful.  I still believe that Ironfist (6x pigs with boss) is the best battalion to run with this because you can auto teleport outside 12 and then move them with mighty destroyers, into a great charge position.  I have been thinking about the list below quite a bit and I think it could work out well.  I have also thought about taking out the Maw Krusha (replace with footboss) and just adding more pig units as well.  This build should have some solid CP generation as well and can keep up with repositions.  Also at 1960, you can expect to get a triumph most games.   

Allegiance: Ironjawz

- Mortal Realm: Hysh

- Warclan: Bloodtoofs

LEADERS Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)

- General - Command Trait : Get Da Realmgate

- Artefact : Quickduff Amulet

Orruk Warchanter (110) - Artefact : Aetherquartz Brooch

Orruk Warchanter (110)

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90) - Allies

UNITS

6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)