The Rumour Thread

I don't really know what to say of today's article, subfactions helped a lot to ground up the setting, but at the same time, I understand why they had to go even if I never saw people getting mad with WYSIWYG and colour schemes (hmm akschually you play Hammers of Sigmar but your army is painted as Celestial Vindicators, sorry can't let you play that !). Still sad though, but at least I know they'll still be there in the hobby section of each BT.

7 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

If Cities are treated like Stormcast it will certainly be a signigicant shift in their design. They currently have one allegiance ability and 12 subfactions. Reworking that into 4 abilities and 4 subfactions would be a challenge.

Do a Freeguild formation, an Ironweld formation and a dwarf/elf formation (for the few moments these stay in AoS... I do feel they'll go the BoC way in later AoS4). And rework the most important orders we have into abilities. Like, advance in formation becomes an ability, engage the foe becomes another, etc.

3 minutes ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

There ain't no Balistae, and there never was! 

Ah no see they really needed the warmachines to help with the reforging process! You can just proxy is as one of the other warmachines Stormcasts have access to in their battletome!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

If Cities are treated like Stormcast it will certainly be a signigicant shift in their design. They currently have one allegiance ability and 12 subfactions. Reworking that into 4 abilities and 4 subfactions would be a challenge.

1 minute ago, Nezzhil said:

It is how it will work now

Ugh, That's a whole bunch of flavour gone. I can see the benefit of this huge simplification, but I does take away immersion imo.

Lol, with CoS I thought long about going for Lethis or Misthavn. I painted 3 steelhelms for Misthavn, but came to the conlusion that I didn't really like painting the dark blue/greyish colours and that the playstyle wasn't my thing. I jumped to Lethis and than I jumped to Hammerhal Aqsha. But those three painted Misthavn Steelhelms just jumped with me. Even if the colours weren't really correct, I just thought the more steelhelms I paint in the colours of the free city I played, the more they would blend in.

It's to me a loss that we lost all those subfactions, certainly for CoS and even StD. 😞 We will have to wait to see what those battleformations are, but it never can't be as cool as all those free cities we had.

So, SCE have a total of 4 Battle Traits:

• Finest Hour
  • The Celestial Realm
  • Scions of the Storm
  • Heaven-sent (Command-1CP).

Each Faction-Pack has 4 Subfactions Battle Formations:

• Thunderhead Host
  • Lightning Echelon
  • ??
  • ??

I don't see where it's written that Subfactions Battle Formations only have one trait. I will wait until I see more, but it seems really nice to get rid of Heroic Actions™ and Monstruous Rampage™, in return, it seems that we have a strong system that can support anything (good).

1 hour ago, Luperci said:

Also is Strike first one of our missing weapon USRs?

It looks like a Keyword (small caps). Another Ability keyword is DEPLOY. And another Unit Keyword: CAVALRY. Another article talking only about keyword could be good, because there is a lot going on there...

Btw, Scions of the Storm doesn't have any keyword or condition, and it's not a command. So, can they still move after falling from the sky?

Edited by Beliman
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Tonhel said:

I painted 3 steelhelms for Misthavn, but came to the conlusion that I didn't really like painting the dark blue/greyish colours and that the playstyle wasn't my thing. I jumped to Lethis and than I jumped to Hammerhal Aqsha. But those three painted Misthavn Steelhelms just jumped with me. Even if the colours weren't really correct, I just thought the more steelhelms I paint in the colours of the free city I played, the more they would blend in.

Well don't you know about Sigmar's cross cities Steelhelm exchange program? To foster cooperation across the realms.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Beliman said:

• Finest Hour
  • The Celestial Realm
  • Scions of the Storm

• Thunderhead Host
  • Lightning Echelon
  • ??
  • ??

I don't see where it's written that Subfactions Battle Formations only have one trait. I will wait until I see more, but it seems really nice to get rid of Heroic Actions™ and Monstruous Rampage™, in return, it seems that we have a strong system that can support anything (good).

It looks like a Keyword (small caps). Another Ability keyword is DEPLOY. And another Unit Keyword: CAVALRY. Another article talking only about keyword could be good, because there is a lot going on there...

Btw, Scions of the Storm doesn't have any keyword or condition, and it's not a command. So, can they still move after falling from the sky?

Set up implies it counts as has moved.

EDIT: Sorry

Edited by Nezzhil
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beliman said:

I'd say it will be at the end of your movement phase (as all abilities which happen in a phase without a specific trigger) so you won't be able to move anyway (too late).

Personally, I find the two NuSubfactions incredibly bland but that might just be the stormcast curse again (where "beginner's faction" means "stack of warscrolls" faction)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Vaellas said:

Indeed then we had the marines and nids codex pre order for septemeber/ october time then the first for Mech and Necrons in December so guessing we can look roughly around the same time for new battletomes.

I have the feeling this time they won't give us a Roadmap so they don't have the pressure to meet what they wrote, so those dates could change a bit.

Thus in AoS 4h edition, all battletomes lost their subfactions. No legion of the first prince anymore, no Lethis anymore? 😞 Why had it to be removed? To balance it even more for tournament play? Ugh. 

Edit: Probably for balance, as to much diversity is a hell to balance.... Imo, a huge loss!

Edited by Tonhel
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

26 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

Lol indeed 🙂

But does the removal of sub-factions also mean that I lost my free cities in CoS and my damned legions in StD? Are these replaced by formations? I hope I am wrong, as that would be a real shame. 

We will lose them, indeed, until the BT arrives.

• Like 2

Just now, Tonhel said:

Thus in AoS 4h edition, all battletomes lost their subfactions. No legion of the first prince anymore, no Lethis anymore? 😞 Why had it to be removed? To balance it even more for tournament play? Ugh. 

No, the rules will be the same. They remove the names only.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ejecutor said:

We will lose them, indeed, until the BT arrives.

Battletomes will mantain the Battle Formations.

EDIT: This is not a change for the index, it is the new policy

Edited by Nezzhil
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

No, the rules will be the same. They remove the names only.

How is that possible when CoS has 11 free cities. All with different rules. Will they have 11 battle formations? And how they will do all the humans, duardin, Aelves orders and abilities?

Edited by Tonhel
  • Confused 1

Just now, Tonhel said:

How is that possible when CoS has 11 free cities. All with different rules. Will they have 11 battle formations? And how they will do all the humans, duardin, Aelves orders and abilities?

Index will be different to the next Battletome, and of course, to the old Battletome

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

Deploy implies it counts as has moved.

The problem is that the ability that has DEPLOY is the one that you don't use to setup the units in the movement phase.

7 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

I'd say it will be at the end of your movement phase (as all abilities which happen in a phase without a specific trigger) so you won't be able to move anyway (too late).

Not sure about that. Only Commands (that are not Reactions) happens at the end of the enemy phase:

There are six new or revamped commands, which are used at the end of their respective phases once the active player has finished all their actions

The Abilities that happens at the end of a phase have their own tempo on their ability:

01.jpg.9cc2c8805156baecdd375031d709b3de.jpg

A bit weird, if we use Keywords to block/interact/synergies, why not here?

Edited by Beliman

1 minute ago, Nezzhil said:

Battletomes will mantain the Battle Formations.

EDIT: This is not a change for the index, it is the new policy

Generally I see this as a good thing for people that want to play lore driven armies from their favorite subfaction. Want a cavalry heavy army from Hammerhall? Just take the corresponding Battle Formation instead of locking them into either a City subfaction that fits the rules better or one that supports the lore better. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 minutes ago, Beliman said:

The problem is that the ability that has DEPLOY is the one that you don't use to setup the units in the movement phase.

Not sure about that. Only Commands (that are not Reactions) happens at the end of the enemy phase:

The Abilities that happens at the end of a phase have their own tempo on their ability:

EDIT: From the CA article: "which are used at the end of their respective phases"

Edited by Nezzhil
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Beliman said:

• Finest Hour
  • The Celestial Realm
  • Scions of the Storm

• Thunderhead Host
  • Lightning Echelon
  • ??
  • ??

All of these feel very flavourful for the SCE. They always have been able to teleport, and them hitting hard feels logic. And they're the beginner faction, so an extra reinforcement to help mitigate a mistake is great for them.

And even if your army can't be Hammers of Sigmar/Hallowed Knights/etc ruleswise anymore, at least the formations make sense. You can still play full dragons, or mix and match minis. I'm sure they'll be a pure warrior chamber formation too.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Beliman said:

It seems that there is no "end of phase" any more. We have only seen "end of turn", and the article about commands implied that the player taking the turn uses all their abilities and then their opponent uses theirs.

1 minute ago, DinoJon said:

Generally I see this as a good thing for people that want to play lore driven armies from their favorite subfaction. Want a cavalry heavy army from Hammerhall? Just take the corresponding Battle Formation instead of locking them into either a City subfaction that fits the rules better or one that supports the lore better. 

It's only a good thing, if you still can have the option to make mimic the city rules we had in the CoS 3th edition  book.

If there are only 4 battle formations and they are as exciting as those two from SCE. Oh boy, that imo a bad deal.

I love the Lethis rules, human characters became priests and a cool and thematic prayer. If this is still possible. Cool. If the battle formations are clones as the ones from SCE. That sounds incredible dull and I honestly see no reason why subfactions had to go.... .

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, PJetski said:

It seems that there is no "end of phase" any more. We have only seen "end of turn", and the article about commands implied that the player taking the turn uses all their abilities and then their opponent uses theirs.

I edited my message, thanks. As you said that article says that are used at the end of the phase

3 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

It's only a good thing, if you still can have the option to make mimic the city rules we had in the CoS 3th edition  book.

If there are only 4 battle formations and they are as exciting as those two from SCE. Oh boy, that imo a bad deal.

I love the Lethis rules, human characters became priests and a cool and thematic prayer. If this is still possible. Cool. If the battle formations are clones as the ones from SCE. That sounds incredible dull and I honestly see no reason why subfactions had to go.... .

But that's the index problem. With the new book you will recieve a lot more options.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Chikout said:

I don't think that's the point that @Mr_Whateley is trying to make. If the actual playerbase is dissatisfied with the game, then that's a strong case for making a change, but if it's only people who don't play who want a change then it's a different question. It absolutely is less valid to want rules change if you haven't at least tried the game. 

Personally I do play the game and don't want it changed dramatically. In fact I'm not sure what tweaks I'd want in a new edition aside from balance adjustments and new locations to play in. 

That's exactly what I think. I don't want potential players inducing a rules change /setting reset instead of actual players (no disrespect at all meant for those interested in playing the game, you're always welcomed).