The Rumour Thread

I feel like at this point, if you have more than like, 30 units and don't need a full-on refresh, you shouldn't be getting much new for at least a bit (Warcry and Underworlds excluded, although the S2D could take a break on the first for a while and several armies could stand to go a while without an Underworlds band but that's neither here nor there) until most other factions have caught up (Excluding SoB because Hyper-Elites don't play by the same rules as everyone else and will always be smaller). You should be getting your old stuff replaced, but beyond that, you have enough stuff to go a bit without a major overhaul or another wave.

Apart from all the obvious practical reasons why SCE are the poster boys of AoS, I like them as a concept. I think warriors from across the realm who are chosen by Sigmar and stolen from Nagash at their point of death, only to have to fight and die again and again and again... cool. Sure there is a Saturday morning cartoon level of depth to it all but Warhammer has always been a bit like that. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Boole said:

New edition starter box will have 74 models.

Skaven side:

Clanrats

Rat Ogors 

Jezzails 

Grey Seer 

Clawlord 

Ratling Cannon 

I don't know how reliable this info is, but it's credible if it's made up: fighting general, wizard, core and elite troops, gunners, artillery... It's the perfect composition for a launch box.

And the numbers would fit: 40 clan rats, 3 rat-ogors, 3 jezzails, 2 characters, 1 machine, that's 49 minis. Out of 74, that leaves 25 SE. Still a credible number.

I play a computer game called Stellaris. It’s a strategy game about conquering the galaxy. You can select from dozens of different aliens.. but looking in FB group I’m in…the number of folks just playing humans is pretty high. 🫤

• Like 1

Just now, Draznak said:

I don't know how reliable this info is, but it's credible if it's made up: fighting general, wizard, core and elite troops, gunners, artillery... It's the perfect composition for a launch box.

And the numbers would fit: 40 clan rats, 3 rat-ogors, 3 jezzails, 2 characters, 1 machine, that's 49 minis. Out of 74, that leaves 25 SE. Still a credible number.

Plus it is all that we saw from the trailer and the Dark Seer that Whitefang hinted.

Also, 40 Clan Rats? Isn't it a bit too much?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

The body is a bit chunkier in general, plus it could be the perspective.

I think the pic scaling is off as the spear one looks smaller than It really is in comparison and in reality they're both the same size and proportion. 

Like they're all on 40mm but the spear one looks slightly scaled down pic wise. 

Overall it looks good enough and nice to see the army as a whole will get a unifying look and both sexes represented in units. 

4th edition starter is just not my jam. Looking forward to other new things with far more enthusiasm. 

Edit: Just realized the reference pic in the article is an old liberator, a new male liberator, and a female vindicator and that's why it looks chunkier. 

Edited by Vasshpit
  • Like 2

Just now, Ejecutor said:

Plus it is all that we saw from the trailer and the Dark Seer that Whitefang hinted.

Also, 40 Clan Rats? Isn't it a bit too much?

That's 2 units of clan rats, who are the chaff to end all chaff. 40 clan rats is about what I would expect.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ScionOfOssia said:

That's 2 units of clan rats, who are the chaff to end all chaff. 40 clan rats is about what I would expect.

I mean, obviously you need thousands of those rats to play in a competitive way, but as a product to attract players that are not super competitive, wouldn't be better 20 clan rats and 20 something else if you have to fill 40 bodies?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Man, I love Thunderstrike armor in the Hallowed Knights colors! Just for fun, I showed a friend who's unfamiliar with AoS the new Liberator & he described it as "Elden Ring/Dark Souls-esque religious knight, maybe conquistador vibes," which is pretty accurate for someone who knows zero SCE lore! It's just one example, of course, but I think the silver armor & streamlined design functions way better than the golden OGcast at advertising the setting & faction.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I'm hoping outside of the 4th release box we see something for the sacrosant and vanguard chambers, maybe new vanguard palladors to follow the new ruination lord. It'd be cool to have ruination chamber stormcast lead warriors from other chambers like that

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I mean, obviously you need thousands of those rats to play in a competitive way, but as a product to attract players that are not super competitive, wouldn't be better 20 clan rats and 20 something else if you have to fill 40 bodies?

If their sculpture is simple as a core troop, I don't think it's impossible for them to be just as many. The right balance between horde troops and paint accessibility in a launch box.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Let's play a game. Spot the 9 differences:

image.png.90b990ba4d1ba57a86d5d5d5003ce48f.png

Solution:

Hide contents

image.png.7da84400993e201fd88126e71c05aa22.png

There’s actually more differences than I first thought!

I think that the downside of having revamped liberators is a lot of people who are into stormcast already have a ton of them. People into skaven already have a lot of clan rats. It seems to reduce the appeal of having multiples of the starter box.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Apart from all the obvious practical reasons why SCE are the poster boys of AoS, I like them as a concept. I think warriors from across the realm who are chosen by Sigmar and stolen from Nagash at their point of death, only to have to fight and die again and again and again... cool. Sure there is a Saturday morning cartoon level of depth to it all but Warhammer has always been a bit like that. 

I personally prefer SCE as posterboys of Aos than SM as posterboys for 40k. Both are heavily armoured, elite warriors, but at least the SCE are real positive role model heroes, each and every one of them died for a noble cause and they were granted superhuman powers by magic means for that; they're not brainwashed kids juiced up and indoctrinated to serve a totalitarian dictatorship. 

Space Marines are cool because "guys shooting aliens in space with guns" is fun, but SCE are more exemplary. That's better imo for introducing young uns' in our hobby.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

I personally prefer SCE as posterboys of Aos than SM as posterboys for 40k. Both are heavily armoured, elite warriors, but at least the SCE are real positive role model heroes, each and every one of them died for a noble cause and they were granted superhuman powers by magic means for that; they're not brainwashed kids juiced up and indoctrinated to serve a totalitarian dictatorship. 

Is this also the case of the Anvils of Heldenhammer? I know they are souls from the world that was stolen from Nagash, but were they also heroes in the world that was?

Edited by Ejecutor

I honestly can't imagine them shoving 40 Clanrats into the box. I know Island of Blood had that many, but these will no doubt be a tad bigger (from what we've seen of the leaked artillery piece) and include a teensy bit more options. I think 20 Clanrats and 10x Skavenslaves, Giant Rats or some other chaff gets included. With Leviathan, Termagants got pumped up to 28mm bases and a 5+ Armor Save, with the new Neurogants being added as the true "chaff".

Edited by Magnusaur
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Is this also the case of the Anvils of Heldenhammer? I know they are souls from the world that was stolen from Nagash, but were they also heroes in the world that was?

It’s implied at least some of them were, others have their origins in the Mortal Realms.

• Like 1

I can't see them reintroducing skaven slaves, it always felt a little silly to me to have two super-cheap, bad stats horde units in one faction, only differentiated by one being super-cheapier and bad statsier than the other.  But I also find it unlikely they'll put 40 clanrats in there, that's an intimidating amount of basic infantry for new players.  

Normally they want playable armies for both sides of the starter box, but we also don't know if army composition is changing under the new rules, I suppose.

Ok, so my own thoughts on the new Thunderstrike Liberator: I think he looks fine, but I'm still kind of sad that he looks almost identical to the Vindictors. Yeah, one here already pointed out that there's plenty of different details, but you only really see them if you pay extremely close attention, and you won't get it on first glance. 

Overall, I am fine with all the Stormcast units getting the Thunderstrike treatment (and some not getting it and just getting squated because the Stormcast already have many more units than they need!!) except maybe the Paladin ones, because I actually really like those, and I am not sure if the redesign will be an upgrade or a downgrade in terms of design. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hollow said:

I finally realise SCE have Edge of Tomorrow/All You Need is Kill vibe

• Like 2