The Rumour Thread

10 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Was it stated somewhere that this will be a thing?

In the previous week one! But seeing this week's one... fighting with a loo roll... hum...

The Rumour Engine – 5th March 2024 - Warhammer Community (warhammer-community.com)

We heard that you enjoy ‘themes’, and ‘consistency’, so this month we’re trying a new tack: every image you see will be of a weapon. 

• LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

I think everyone is aware of this possibility by now, but I think it safe to say I'm not alone in much preferring the other type of Kurnothi. A Kurnothi warband in the vein of the underworlds warband or the cursed city hero would be an instant buy. Some slightly different looking Sylvaneth would not. 

Yes I'm hoping for a few Fauns, a centaur a few aelves and some animals- essentially a bit of a taster for Kurnothi forces. Most of all I hope they are strange and wild. I loved how Fae Skaeth's Wild Hunt looked.

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

One of my favourite bits of OBR lore is that generally, Ossiarchs don't advance through the ranks. Instead, they are purpose-built to be leaders and only get demoted into progressively more menial roles as punishment for failure. I think that says a lot about Nagash and his vision of an ideal society. That guy is pretty big on punishing people, not so much rewarding them.

Huh, that’s a really neat way to both showing Nagash’s personality and making OBR’s different to pretty much any other faction in the game society wise. I think I might need to dig into them as a faction in 4th ed as they sound really interesting 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Aleser said:

Dawnbringer storiy had Centaur lady I really hope it is something in that direction. Warcry is perfect for that tho, and it is ghur located so perfect for bestial theme 

Yeah with a bark covered arm- that should link them more with Sylvaneth forest spirits.

4 hours ago, Whitefang said:

More like being made into dogs

What, like shapeshifting/druid Ossiarchs, bone werewolves, or permashifted?

3 hours ago, Snarff said:

I think Kurnothi might still not be exactly what this forum thinks they are. They could also be 'normal' Sylvaneth that follow Kurnoth, like the Kurnoth hunters and Belthanos.

So far Warcry has generally proposed warbands very different from their base faction (with a few exceptions like Darkoath and Kruleboyz). "Normal" Sylvaneth can already be modelled as Kurnothi, and indeed the recent Kurnoth battleforce was like that. Keeping the same formula for Warcry would be pretty boring (imo)

3 hours ago, Baz said:

I'm thinking a mixed warband of aelves, forest spirits and satyr/ centaurs like in the dawnbringer short story. 

Instabuy

12 minutes ago, DoctorPerils said:

What, like shapeshifting/druid Ossiarchs, bone werewolves, or permashifted?

So far Warcry has generally proposed warbands very different from their base faction (with a few exceptions like Darkoath and Kruleboyz). "Normal" Sylvaneth can already be modelled as Kurnothi, and indeed the recent Kurnoth battleforce was like that. Keeping the same formula for Warcry would be pretty boring (imo)

Instabuy

The Ossiarch horses are punished Ossiarch that failed in past, so the dogs are the same.

Edited by Nezzhil
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, DoctorPerils said:

Not necessarily. Ogor and Seraphon warbands were replacements for existing units. Lumineth, Nighthaunt, Fyreslayers, Stormcast, Darkoath, Kruleboyz Cities of Sigmar and Flesh Eater courts are all very in line with their faction's aesthetics and identity. Only the original Chaos Cultist warbands really had their own spin, but they're all part of StD which is a mixed bag anyway.

No warband had a radical departure from the rest of the army. Adding humans and aelves for the first time to Sylvaneth would be quite a big departure from the faction's identity of tree people and bugs so far (although you can argue that Skaeth's wild hunt and Qualthis already are, though they do not feel like they belong in Sylvaneth at all).

Underworlds does this (Skaeth's Wild Hunt, Rippa's Snarlfangs), but Warcry has not really added anything completely new to armies so far.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Snarff said:

Not necessarily. Ogor and Seraphon warbands were replacements for existing units. Lumineth, Nighthaunt, Fyreslayers, Stormcast, Darkoath, Kruleboyz Cities of Sigmar and Flesh Eater courts are all very in line with their faction's aesthetics and identity. Only the original Chaos Cultist warbands really had their own spin, but they're all part of StD which is a mixed bag anyway.

No warband had a radical departure from the rest of the army. Adding humans and aelves for the first time to Sylvaneth would be quite a big departure from the faction's identity of tree people and bugs so far (although you can argue that Skaeth's wild hunt and Qualthis already are, though they do not feel like they belong in Sylvaneth at all).

Underworlds does this (Skaeth's Wild Hunt, Rippa's Snarlfangs), but Warcry has not really added anything completely new to armies so far.

I think it is due paintjob on Kurnothi which is totally in contrast from regular sylvaneth scheme. But they share features like lamanteries in their bellies, cloth is similar too revenant/treelord tabards etc. 

1 hour ago, Snarff said:

Respectfully disagree about the majority of the warcry warbands:

- gorgers are pretty far from baseline ogors, both in lore and in aspect (even if they're a recreation of an old unit)

- chameleon skinks are a different subrace that isn't seen anywhere else in the army, and bring in shooting (unlike the majority of the army)

- lumineth is a different element that hadn't been used yet, and half of the models have much less armour than the rest of the army

- nighthaunt have a different shape and bring the fire compared to much of the nighhaunt army

- fyreslayers aspect and Lore seems pretty distant from the rest of the army again (much more in terms of clothes, female duardin, the whole drake egg schtick)

- Cities of Sigmar with their light-armoured pathfinders are _very_ different from all the other dawnbringer Crusade units released

- the current big 4 chaos factions, and even the Horns of Hashut are also different from the rest of their faction (or eventual faction)

And as you point out, most of the dedicated kurnothi models released so far have already broken with the major part of the sylvaneth faction. Unless GW entirely drop that proposed aesthetic (which seems unlikely to me since they are apparently quite popular) I don't know what better vector than warcry could bring more; and I can't see what other aspect of the sylvaneth they may release for Warcry Kurnothi that wouldn't just be current units redux

• Like 6

I'll add that the kruleboyz monsta killaz albeit the beastnob were far more in line with bonesplitterz aesthetic than most of the current krules range. 

Aesthetic was there but warband composition is off imo as far as a win. Just felt lackluster to me. 

@Nezzhil I hope you're right about the hobgrot warband and not just tickling my fancy... 😶

23 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

Not to start a debate or anything but being more faithful would be a sausage party. Love the diversity but historically men did most of that. 

Possibly in some areas, but we are finding more and more evidence of early humans that is challenging old stereotypes. Unfortunately scientific discovery has not been without bias, which can interfere with scientific conclusions.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-theory-that-men-evolved-to-hunt-and-women-evolved-to-gather-is-wrong1/

Edited to add: I figured there'd be some discussion on this, and just wanted to provide a source to challenge popular-science misconceptions (of which there are unfortunately a lot!)

further edit: i thought we were specifically talking about hunter-gatherer societies, though i do think we will never truly know the extent of women in warfare because we will never truly know how our ancestors lived. all we can say is that they had the same cognition and feelings we do.

Edited by CommissarRotke
  • Like 12

25 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Possibly in some areas, but we are finding more and more evidence of early humans that is challenging old stereotypes. Unfortunately scientific discovery has not been without bias, which can interfere with scientific conclusions.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-theory-that-men-evolved-to-hunt-and-women-evolved-to-gather-is-wrong1/

Edited to add: I figured there'd be some discussion on this, and just wanted to provide a source to challenge popular-science misconceptions (of which there are unfortunately a lot!)

It's about the prehistoric times and it's about hunting. I don't doubt for a second that women could be / are as skilful as men in hunting.

But we are talking about war, brutal melee combat and sadly this is the expertise of men. Certainly for the last 4000 years. All the recorded battles was mainly between men.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DoctorPerils said:

and I can't see what other aspect of the sylvaneth they may release for Warcry Kurnothi that wouldn't just be current units redux

And Snarff said before, something which has more predominancy on the bugs side. It isn't a much-explored bit of the faction. There are a few, yes, but there's a lot of room still.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

And Snarff said before, something which has more predominancy on the bugs side. It isn't a much-explored bit of the faction. There are a few, yes, but there's a lot of room still.

From the first releases I really expected some Daikinee elf inspiration to come to the sylvaneth as well.

Alarielle especially wouldnt have looked out of place in that army.

• Like 2

+++MOD HAT ON+++

Stop with the discussions of Gender roles in regards to Warfare. This is not the forum for it. This is a FANTASY game. Anything is possible. Women have fought in wars in real life. Women are present on these forums. Be respectful of each other.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Garrac said:

So, that's why I think that, besides infantry, monsters, and characters, there's going to be jezzails on the starter box.

I agree with your Skaven reasoning and I'd like to support it from the Stormcast side: there's a possibility that Prosecutors (flying skirmishers) and Judicators (heavy ranged infantry) will get Thunderstruck for the launch box, as well as Ruination units. Jezzails would be great counters to all 3 of those roles--Prosecutors could mop them up easily if they can charge sure, but Jezzails are perfect warmachine support against skirmishers and elites.

if GW picks units based on lack of multi-part or dual-kit ability AND fitting the box narrative, Jezzails are an easy win. Can't imagine a launch box without them UNLESS they somehow figured out a dual jezzail/mortar kit. (the chaingun and the flamethrower seem an obvious choice for post-launch dual kit)