The Rumour Thread

16 minutes ago, Hollow said:

There's currently 24 AoS factions. They could just straight up add "Grugni's Duardin" "Malerion's Aelves" "Kragnos's Drogrukh" and "Chorfs" into the mix, bringing the total faction count to 28. 

Honestly, from a lore perspective I think the Drogrukh should be an Order race instead of a Destruction one. Kragnos is pretty much to them what Nagash was to Nehekhara, a megalomaniac who ascended to godhood and ruined his own people. 

Edited by BarakUrbaz
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, BarakUrbaz said:

Honestly, from a lore perspective I think the Drogrukh should be an Order race instead of a Destruction one. Kragnos is pretty much to them what Nagash was to humanity, 

I think we lack details on it. They are described as an aggressive race, so I would think that would move them more into the destro alliance rather than order.

• Like 3

Man all these ideas about a rebel khainite faction are really cool; I'd forgotten the detail about the broken cauldron!

I'm actually changing my tune a bit: I'd rather see "Anti-Morathi Khanites" get more focus in the faction and the faction get more crazy greek mythology inspired creatures instead of Malerion's gang

I think I got hung up on Malerion's crew being merged with Daughters bc that'd be the same "not all the evil elves are friends" vibe that Dark Elves had in Fantasy, but why just do Morathi vs Malekith again? A "Khanite-but-new" wave would be really neat and help to further the identity of the faction!

All that said, I wonder what vibes would be left for a Malerion-only faction? If Morathi has winged aelves, snake aelves, shadowy spy aelves, battle cultists, and "blood" as her stuff, Malerion will have to really be something unique to stand alongside it side-by-side. The Duardin don't have a ton of overlap, I wonder how they could work to differentiate "Shadow-daemon aelves" and "snake/bat mutant witch aelves" in a way that they're immediately recognizable as two different evil aelf factions

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

42 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Why they only made 2500 Copies of the leather bound The End And The Death I just do not know. They could have easily sold triple that amount. It really does feel like GW leaves a lot of money on the table. 

I'm not so sure. I personally would really like to see them and there has been so many hints that Grugni is up to something. On the one hand AoS has both Fyreslayers and Kharadron, which are two decent Duardin factions, but they are pretty small and could really do with some more unit option to flesh out their ranges. Does AoS really need 3 full Duardin factions? (Potentially 4 with the rumoured Chorfs on the horizon) I suppose it really depends on what the AoS studio aspires for in terms of faction count for AoS.

There's currently 24 AoS factions. They could just straight up add "Grugni's Duardin" "Malerion's Aelves" "Kragnos's Drogrukh" and "Chorfs" into the mix, bringing the total faction count to 28. 

Although I suspect that with ToW having traditional Dwarves. You might be right. 

We have 3 elven armies (sylvaneth, lumineth and daughters) i see no problem with having equal amounts of Elven and Dwarven factions

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Why they only made 2500 Copies of the leather bound The End And The Death I just do not know. They could have easily sold triple that amount. It really does feel like GW leaves a lot of money on the table. 

I'm not so sure. I personally would really like to see them and there has been so many hints that Grugni is up to something. On the one hand AoS has both Fyreslayers and Kharadron, which are two decent Duardin factions, but they are pretty small and could really do with some more unit option to flesh out their ranges. Does AoS really need 3 full Duardin factions? (Potentially 4 with the rumoured Chorfs on the horizon) I suppose it really depends on what the AoS studio aspires for in terms of faction count for AoS.

Although I suspect that with ToW having traditional Dwarves. You might be right. 

I know there's pushback, but I think more tomes like warclans are the future. There's kind of a logistical cap on the number of battletomes they can support with their release schedule.
"Grugni's dwarves" are a good contender, break out and refresh dispossessed, make a mixed faction, and put fyreslayers/KO in the same book (but still with their own army & allegiance abilities).
I kind of foresee the same thing with Malerion/Morathi/remaining dark elves, Gitmob (if we ever get them) and maybe Sylvaneth/kurnothi & tyrion/teclis factions of lumineth (depends how those shape up though).

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

I think we lack details on it. They are described as an aggressive race, so I would think that would move them more into the destro alliance rather than order.

Drogrukh have been more peaceful in some descriptions, only going to war against the dragon-Ogors who they and the Draconith saw as a common threat and then when Kragnos pushed them into war.

However that was during the Age of Myth when things were more ideal compared to now when they’ve had to spend centuries running and hiding from chaos(and likely vengeful dragon-Ogors) making them more ragged & feral and possibly part of Kragnos’ character arc to see his people fall so low because of his hit-headed actions.(mind it won’t change him from being a big brash basher but now he’ll have goals to set to see his race back on top)

As for duardin, I imagine it’ll either be Gholemkind or Freeguild city-duardin that carry that runic torch with a noticeably different AoS spin on things. Especially since Cities of Sigmar are becoming the new “we wall!” faction so their traditional dawi shieldwalls fit better there than making a redundant second race focused on being a moving castle.

That whole “Oh Grungni’s coming back with some kind of great power!” has been kinda debunked in-universe as the new armor for Stormcast Eternals.

The Kharadron book goes into a bit of detail they feel that’s a second betrayal by him to them.

11 hours ago, Pizzaprez said:

I wonder how they could work to differentiate "Shadow-daemon aelves" and "snake/bat mutant witch aelves" in a way that they're immediately recognizable as two different evil aelf factions

If Morathi-Khaine is the order equivalent to mutants & cultists then Malerion could bring shadow Aelf “chaos warriors” & daemons to the fold with stuff like animated armors(reflections of Eltharion), shadow Aelf Ronin to match the Lumineth samurai vibes and just twisted shadow daemons everywhere.

image0.jpg?ex=65c3aabd&is=65b135bd&hm=03

11 hours ago, Gutsu17 said:

We have 3 elven armies (sylvaneth, lumineth and daughters) i see no problem with having equal amounts of Elven and Dwarven factions

Replace Sylvaneth with Deepkin and you’re right. 😄

(Sylvaneth are more about the plant people and even counting Kurnothi those can be humans too, that even mutate into satyrs, so the aelven aspect is extremely washed out on them)

Edited by Gaz Taylor
Removed picture with swearing - do not do it again!
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Tonhel said:

That seems imo very doable in 6 years.

What do you imagine how Grungi dwarves will look like? I assume they will have to look different than the Dwarfs from Dwarfen Mountain Holds from TOW?

The designers will need to really give it their all because, currently, the other two Dwarven factions have taken and claimed for themselves many things the original dwarves had. The Fyreslayers took the... well, slayers and the axes, while the Kharadrons took the "fully armored dwarf" look (technically, it's just a protective suit, but still) and the steampunk flying technology, so the designers will need to do a very good job so as to make them not feel overshadowed by the other dwarves (upcoming Chaos Dwarves included).

My own ideas go like this: give them cavalry (a rare thing for dwarves in general) in the form of mascular, stocky mountain goats that are capable of some serious mobility on mountainous terrain. Due to the plated armored look being taken, I am envisioning the new standard. Dwarf to be glad in scale mail with swords and spears as options, together with a round or kite-style shield. I am also imagining a stealthy dwarf with a cloak and twin blades.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Gutsu17 said:

While I agree that Sylvaneth, Lumineth and DOK could have started as aelven factions... is it the case anymore for Sylvaneth?

They feel more like "creatures of the forest". Yeah, some of them have pointy ears. Are they aelvens in the lore? I have no clue, but deffo they have diverged quite a lot from aelvens.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

While I agree that Sylvaneth, Lumineth and DOK could have started as aelven factions... is it the case anymore for Sylvaneth?

They feel more like "creatures of the forest". Yeah, some of them have pointy ears. Are they aelvens in the lore? I have no clue, but deffo they have diverged quite a lot from aelvens.

18 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Replace Sylvaneth with Deepkin and you’re right. 😄

(Sylvaneth are more about the plant people and even counting Kurnothi those can be humans too, that even mutate into satyrs, so the aelven aspect is extremely washed out on them)

While Sylvaneth arent literally elves, it is who the army appeals to, people who like elves,even if they are actually spirits of the forest that look like half elf-half tree

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DD-Lord said:

The designers will need to really give it their all because, currently, the other two Dwarven factions have taken and claimed for themselves many things the original dwarves had.

In terms of a "design ethos" and style guide for a potentail Grungi's Duardin Faction I could see an approach of -

Fyreslayers - Fire & Axe. 

Kharadron - Air & Powder.

Grungi's Duardin - Stone & Hammer. 

You could have Duardin with stone-scale skin, Mountian "Goat" cavalry and rock and ore Gholems. With characters incorporating elements of different rare stones and different types of Hammer being the weapon of choice. 

• Like 9

So many of you here seem to want more Scathborn for DoK, but you know what I want?

Male fodder slave soldiers, I want Helot inspired elf men with round shields and spears with collars, trying desperately to win some sort of favor from Khaine and the priesthood in this hyper-misandristic society they were born in.

Some ranged bow-wielding Covenite sisters would also be nice.

• Like 3

If we'll ever get Grungni's Duardin, it'll be like the Lumineth were for High Elves - making sense why Dispossessed/old Dawi kits are in TOW (ie, they'll get phased out from AoS). I'm personally fine with that, keep AoS weird and wild. I also foresee Chorfs being wildly different than we remember them, but I personally hope they'll still retain the big hats! I could never live knowing Lumineth would have mightier hats than my beloved Chorfs 😭

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I love how many 'Elemental' factions AoS currently has. Either multi-element like Lumineth, or mono-element like Fyreslayers, Idoneth, Kharadron, Beastclaw Raiders, Stormcast etc. I think we just lack a real 'Earth-y' faction (unless you count Sylvaneth). Grungi Duardin could fit that bill, but before we see any Grungi Duardin I'd much rather have FS and KO second waves and a refresh of all the CoS Duardin.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, DinoJon said:

I would like some more units that match the Crone aesthetically especially if they're on the monstrous side. More ladies with feathered wings or even warlocks that resemble more of kenkus would be rad. 

Surely she signals there will be a release somewhere down the road in 4th that won't make her totally out of place in their army? Surely? This must be what hopium feels like but I really want this...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nighthaunt Noob said:

Surely she signals there will be a release somewhere down the road in 4th that won't make her totally out of place in their army? Surely? This must be what hopium feels like but I really want this...

IMO we have to wait to read her narrative. In the end, we only know what it is saying in the warcom post, but obviously, you don't give a random character the cover of a narrative book. We could get hints of how her followers would look like or how their relationship is with Morathi or Khaine's worshippers.

At some point that has to be expanded miniature wise? It is obvious. And IMO this new design answers the trend of trying to diverge from the established WHFB stuff.

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Like 4

About Grugni's duardin look, I think they would follow the Hobbit Iron Hill dwarves' aesthetic. Very geometrical, with some turtle reminder, with scales and big chunky shields:

image.png.50aa9b970e66b97e34390ff63e11f043.png
image.png.cdf4ec0f111b27f4a59121ede5e51632.png

That in addition to some golemkind similar to what we have in WoW:

image.png.b5532b6751c2045bfa9eda366df9f3f6.png

Those two have a very cohesive look, IMO.

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, DD-Lord said:

So many of you here seem to want more Scathborn for DoK, but you know what I want?

Male fodder slave soldiers, I want Helot inspired elf men with round shields and spears with collars, trying desperately to win some sort of favor from Khaine and the priesthood in this hyper-misandristic society they were born in.

Some ranged bow-wielding Covenite sisters would also be nice.

i really like the image of that...but i can't bring myself to paint another hord after witch aelves :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

Even better. Make it made to order. That way everyone that wants it could get it.

Honestly, this is what GW should do with all their FOMO stuff. Even event exclusive minis should get a made to order window at some point (end of the year perhaps).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

Honestly, this is what GW should do with all their FOMO stuff. Even event exclusive minis should get a made to order window at some point (end of the year perhaps).

Indeed. That would be ideal. "All" the customers would be happy.