The Rumour Thread

Sorry if I'm late (well, 8 hours) to the whole Spearhead debate. I can't personally imagine that two Spearheads (later to be released as individual boxes) is all there's going to be in the launch box. There's got to be some "FOMO" (for lack of better word) models in there as well. Space Marines and Tyranids had their individual Combat Patrol releases shortly after Leviathan dropped, by the big box remained an attractive alternative even then. Not just because of the price point, but the hard-to-get content as well.

30 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

You make a great case, but I am just not seeing the players materialize for combat patrol, and 40k has a larger player pool than AOS. Maybe thats just anecdotal and there are stores in other states with large players bases but so far it seems like a flop. So i'm hesitant about Spearhead really becoming a thing. 

Arent Spearhead lists like completely locked? So like wouldn't you be playing the same exact list for every single game? That would drive me crazy. I'm always tinkering with my lists. 

Not a 40k player myself, but the ones I interact with were really interested in the format but dropped it once it become clear it was really poorly balanced. The release of new combat patrols with the edition condex and most of them being downgrades to the ones before also didn't help.

So far spearhead seen to have more variance with the 4 enchantments + 2 subs you choose before the game start and the card system. How well the game model will be received and adopted will depend on well it play at its launch and if they choose to support it further in the edition (twists for other realms and other spearhead formations looks like the simplest way for this). I imagine that AoS having more varied factions than 40k can also help people getting interested in pick a new box they fancy the models if the games plays well.

Posted (edited)

We’ll have plenty more Spearhead coverage over the coming weeks, but tomorrow we’re going to find out what narrative players can expect from the entirely revamped Path to Glory mode, which features in the Core Book for Warhammer Age of Sigmar.

Seems we are done with the main game rules and now we are focusing on the different game modes, right? And after this, we will have the faction focus articles. So no more AoS rules are almost confirmed.

Edited by Ejecutor

5 minutes ago, Ferban said:

Maybe.  But they haven't done any rules preview on their new terrain module, yet. 

They've done an article which had stuff about faction terrain. Have they said there's a specific terrain module?

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

Just focus yourself on the third one you've mentioned 😏

Sorry but I‘ll probably always remain a lowly pawn of Tzeentch. 😇 But I dunno, maaaaaaybe I could convince my group to each get a new force for spearhead, it would be fun. I‘d just feel like a cheater. Poor Tzeentch! 

1 hour ago, Landohammer said:

You make a great case, but I am just not seeing the players materialize for combat patrol, and 40k has a larger player pool than AOS. Maybe thats just anecdotal and there are stores in other states with large players bases but so far it seems like a flop. So i'm hesitant about Spearhead really becoming a thing. 

Arent Spearhead lists like completely locked? So like wouldn't you be playing the same exact list for every single game? That would drive me crazy. I'm always tinkering with my lists. 

We can only say 100% for combat patrol, where lists are mostly locked, there are some exceptions (Custodes and Grey Knights for example give you choices about what things you use from your box to represent how strong those figures are individually compared to say Imperial Guardsmen and Genestealer Cultists) but also as they've replaced the 9th ed Combat Patrols with new ones and released White Dwarf lists it's expanded the available options a good amount. Currently there are 31 Combat Patrols between the pdfs and White Dwarf lists with Space Marines, Tyranids, Dark Angels, Orks, Custodes, T'au, and Ad Mech having two different lists. It's not unreasonable that this would continue over the edition.

I could see Spearhead be exactly the same. Replace the current bundles with new ones to get more sales whilst still keeping the launch Spearhead's rules available and adding ones based on more niche elements of the factions through White Dwarf.

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

That's a pretty interesting POV, and pretty solid.

It is also a nice way to play with friends that don't necessarily have minis. As long as you have 2 spearheads it is just a matter of teaching your opponent.

It's also a good selling point to those friends too. You buy a box that costs £85 or less and you've got an entire force ready to go.

1 hour ago, MitGas said:

Watch GW dropping spearheads as soon as they've hooked you on collecting a couple of cool extra factions next to your main and putting in the work, so that you'll then have to turn them all into full-blown collections too.  You know it, I know it, they certainly know it. :D

I do like the idea of it. Skaven, Flesh-Eaters, Cities, Seraphon, Soulblight, Nighthaunt.... so many cool factions out there, so little time. 

I honestly don't see this as an issue. All the Combat Patrol rules are freely available on the Warhammer Community website at the moment, with the exception of the 2 newest White Dwarf lists. I have them all downloaded so even if it goes away with 11th edtion there's nothing stopping me filling in the gaps in my collection of Combat Patrols through buying individual minis and continuing to just play that with its 10th ed rules. It'd also help me figure out if I like a faction enough to expand it later on.

1 hour ago, Arzalyn said:

Not a 40k player myself, but the ones I interact with were really interested in the format but dropped it once it become clear it was really poorly balanced. The release of new combat patrols with the edition condex and most of them being downgrades to the ones before also didn't help.

So far spearhead seen to have more variance with the 4 enchantments + 2 subs you choose before the game start and the card system. How well the game model will be received and adopted will depend on well it play at its launch and if they choose to support it further in the edition (twists for other realms and other spearhead formations looks like the simplest way for this). I imagine that AoS having more varied factions than 40k can also help people getting interested in pick a new box they fancy the models if the games plays well.

Gamers in general really struggle with accepting alternate ways to play games. Commander is the most popular Magic format now but it took years and WotC actually pushing the format to become the juggernaut it currently is. Combat Patrol is a neat idea but it's pushing against communities indoctrinated with the idea that the only way to play is at 2000 points with the most recent books that make up the majority of the "active" player base.

I think Combat Patrol has a lot of promise but it really needs community champions to get it going in the wider community. How that will play out in individual groups will vary wildly but if GW continues to support it then I think it'll have legs.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Sorry but I‘ll probably always remain a lowly pawn of Tzeentch. 😇 But I dunno, maaaaaaybe I could convince my group to each get a new force for spearhead, it would be fun. I‘d just feel like a cheater. Poor Tzeentch! 

Perfect opportunity to stretch those hobby muscles and make a Tzeentch infiltrated (insert faction of your choosing here) spearhead force. 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, EntMan said:

They've done an article which had stuff about faction terrain. Have they said there's a specific terrain module?

Yep.  It's module II. 

Modules.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MitGas said:

or are you following Tzeentch's plan all along by manipulating convincing your group to start new armies? New armies means new machinations 🦚

• Haha 2

I‘m sure that ultimately it‘s all for Tzeentch‘s benefit, right? At least that‘s what the lore claims! 

Which doesn‘t make things easier at all though. So many cool spearheads out there, the freedom of choice is crippling. Noble-born knights on a just crusade, Elden Ring-esque humans, sweet rats…vampires with awesome skeletons. And that‘s just half of the armies I‘d like to paint! 😂🤦‍♂️I wish this was 40k, where fewer armies call to me. 😅

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, EonChao said:

We can only say 100% for combat patrol, where lists are mostly locked, there are some exceptions (Custodes and Grey Knights for example give you choices about what things you use from your box to represent how strong those figures are individually compared to say Imperial Guardsmen and Genestealer Cultists) but also as they've replaced the 9th ed Combat Patrols with new ones and released White Dwarf lists it's expanded the available options a good amount. Currently there are 31 Combat Patrols between the pdfs and White Dwarf lists with Space Marines, Tyranids, Dark Angels, Orks, Custodes, T'au, and Ad Mech having two different lists. It's not unreasonable that this would continue over the edition.

I could see Spearhead be exactly the same. Replace the current bundles with new ones to get more sales whilst still keeping the launch Spearhead's rules available and adding ones based on more niche elements of the factions through White Dwarf.

If there are new Spearheads box when the  battletomes get release, Fyreslayers better be getting more models because they ran out of unit combinations for a new box unless they put the Magmadroth back in.

13 minutes ago, novakai said:

If there are new Spearheads box when the  battletomes get release, Fyreslayers better be getting more models because they ran out of unit combinations for a new box unless they put the Magmadroth back in.

Magmadroth but they will list one of the other character builds and pretend like it is new.

16 minutes ago, novakai said:

Yeah. When someone mentioned new spearheads I straight thought about the Fireslayers.

I think the new spearhead will be 31 Vulkite Berzerkers and a new sprue that allows you to convert one of them into a new Vulkite Berzerker hero.

3 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

It is purely because now all Spearheads/ Vanguards have names. Check the pictures from the last 2 posts:

CbxlXLuIAApQ4naP.jpg

qrHpZJGVTyehURFU.jpg

WoyTZYbZ4EYqi5PF.jpg

Yes, but it shows it’s possible for there to be multiple spearheads per faction. So mention of yndrasta’s spearhead in the article does not mean we will get her spearhead in the new box, rather it will be another stormcast spearhead made up of new models.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GrimDork said:

Yes, but it shows it’s possible for there to be multiple spearheads per faction. So mention of yndrasta’s spearhead in the article does not mean we will get her spearhead in the new box, rather it will be another stormcast spearhead made up of new models.

Yeah, very likely all factions would have at least a couple of them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

WoyTZYbZ4EYqi5PF.jpg

Castelite company

• Two units that are not part of the Caslite formation nor created in the reformation
  • a unit of infantry not part of the Casltie formation
  • a canon 
  • no fusiliers

Expert naming convention there GW

Sepak of which got mine today with Karl Franz (a decision i'm going to regent once 4 CoS begins)

image.jpeg

Edited by Dragon-knight77
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, EonChao said:

Gamers in general really struggle with accepting alternate ways to play games. Commander is the most popular Magic format now but it took years and WotC actually pushing the format to become the juggernaut it currently is. Combat Patrol is a neat idea but it's pushing against communities indoctrinated with the idea that the only way to play is at 2000 points with the most recent books that make up the majority of the "active" player base.

I think Combat Patrol has a lot of promise but it really needs community champions to get it going in the wider community. How that will play out in individual groups will vary wildly but if GW continues to support it then I think it'll have legs.

Yeah I totally agree that much of its success will depend on how much we try and adopt it in the end. Its quiet funny because we always see people talking how we needed to make smaller games more normal (to get a bigger number of games per play day, to reduce the number of models to play barrier and all other factors) but when those modes appear they generally don't stick around due to them being "unbalanced because the game is balanced with 2k in mind". Remember meeting engagements? I know it (much like combat patrol) may have its problems, but maybe if we as a community come together to get to keep it been played and fixing it, if needed, we could have something really important for our hobby to flourish.

Coming from a country where it is really hard to get warhammer models in general I can't stress enough how important a smaller, easier to get into game is important for this hobby to keep up. We've trying to grow our community and there are lots of people interested but having to say "oh get enough to play 1k first and you can start playing" and getting 1k translating into having to buy multiple boxes has made we loose a great amount of people that wanted to get into it. A lower entry barrier and games that are faster and easier to set up are all positive things that both get new people in but also help keep old players interested with more games happening and making easier to start a new faction you are interested in try/paint.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

Yeah, very likely all factions would have at least a couple of them.

I was wondering if there'll be multiple Spearheads for the same faction. I like the contents of the Hedonites one, but it is exclusively the mortals... it'd be fun if there was a Slaanesh Daemons one, too. 

I would love it they released spearhead rules for battle box halves (I think they have done one for combat patrol tho I don’t keep up to date with 40k).

Mainly because I have an Aether War & Fury of the Deep sitting around. I picked them up for one faction and haven’t gotten round to selling the other half. If there were spearhead rules for each half it would definitely incentivise me to paint em up. 
With spearhead on the horizon, it makes me think about how releases will be going forward. GW have moved away from the dual faction battle boxes in favour of army boxes but could we see a return. They could be marketed as 2 spearheads box! Maybe I’m getting carried away. I really hope spearhead isn’t a flash in the pan, like meeting engagement turned out to be.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

Castelite company

• Two units that are not part of the Caslite formation nor created in the reformation
  • a unit of infantry not part of the Casltie formation
  • a canon 
  • no fusiliers

Expert naming convention there GW

Sepak of which got mine today with Karl Franz (a decision i'm going to regent once 4 CoS begins)

image.jpeg

Karl is a pretty cool mini. You won't regret about it at all.

I am still fascinated about how the Manticore looks next to the Gryphon. Bigger than the Manticore for half the price.

• Thanks 1