The Rumour Thread

Has anyone heard any details about these start collecting premium boxes that are rumoured to drop in mid November? What factions do you think they will be? I think Fyreslayers is almost certain as their prices didn't fit within the £50 start collecting price point - I reckon a Magmadroth 10-15 infantry and a character. Also we haven't seen a Rotbringers Start collecting box yet - a Maggoth lord, 10 Blight kings and foot character perhaps. And what price for the premium boxes? £80-£100? Might hold off my next purchases until I see what's available!

3 minutes ago, Percivael said:

Has anyone heard any details about these start collecting premium boxes that are rumoured to drop in mid November? What factions do you think they will be? I think Fyreslayers is almost certain as their prices didn't fit within the £50 start collecting price point - I reckon a Magmadroth 10-15 infantry and a character. Also we haven't seen a Rotbringers Start collecting box yet - a Maggoth lord, 10 Blight kings and foot character perhaps. And what price for the premium boxes? £80-£100? Might hold off my next purchases until I see what's available!

The original rumour ballparked them at ~US$145, and as far as I can tell, we've not gotten anything more on them yet. I'd assume Fyreslayers will be getting on purely since they don't have a SC box of their own despite being shiny and new, but even that is pure speculation

• Like 1

Value is likely to be high either way. All the boxed sets in AoS have had 30% or more additional value.

Let's just hope the Fyrelsayers SC box comes out early next year then. Even just a box of Vulkites, box of Auric and a Hero makes an excellent box. Every potential Fyreslayer player would buy that box.I'd buy 2!

• Like 1

They'll probably retain the same Pound value as GW manufactures entirely within the UK, but they might be cheaper due to the lower Dollar value. That said, a lot of industry here is switching to the Dollar as it's more stable, so they might be using the Dollar as reference for price points.

Do the rumours predate the EU vote?

The rumour refers to them as Start Collecting Premium, I don't think they will be an army in a box a la Beastclaw raiders or other previous deals over the years. More of a semi-permanent line containing expensive centrepiece models such as the Magmadroth, or even the Glottkin, that are too pricey to combine with other models for £50. £100 sounds about right for that. No doubt we'll see  Stormcast and Space marines though.

7 minutes ago, Dez said:

I like the idea of Start Collecting Premium...I'd probably go for a Glottkin box too.

I doubt you'll ever see the big named centerpieces in such a box (Glottkin, Archaon, etc).  More likely will be a Maggoth Lord, some Blight Kings, and maybe something else.  If they market it with Bloab, you would probably see 5 blight kings and 3 plague drones (as per Bloab's battalion).  If they market it with Morbidex, you'll probably see 5 blight kings and 6 Nurgling swarms (as per his battalion).   Those would be my guesses for Rotbringers.

I could go for the Blight Kings and Plague Drones...of course a conversion for Plague Drones for Death Guard just popped into my head. The Blight King models are really nice, I just haven't gone for them at the price point exacerbated by the point I haven't played 40k or with my Death Guard in years. 

should release deals for battalions warscroll x needs units 1,2,3,4,5, hero blah blah, buy it all for this price of £$    % lower than individually.

make it some sort of bulk buyers discount, doesnt come in a unique box, just a deal offer.

They should also consider looking into doing that random miniatures box thing, where you pay a sub and get a model, paints an brush delivered every month. slightly cheaper than buying individually, but again it opens up more of gw to people who previously wouldn't risk exploring. 

with different price bands allowing more models or bigger models 

• Like 1

Obvious examples of low hanging fruit for boxes would be Fyreslayers (a Magmadroth which comes with an additional model on foot, 10 vulkite berserkers, and 5 hearth guard; retail $210), Flesh Eater Courts (Abhorrent Ghul King on Terrorgheist, 20 Crypt Ghouls, and 6 Crypt Horrors or something similar; retail $200), and Ironjawz (Megaboss on maw krusha, 15 ard boyz, and 5 brutes; retail $215).  These are both supported by books and would incentivize additional purchases.  Other obvious possibilities are the aelves's Daughters of Khaine (likely a Cauldron of Blood which comes with an additional model on foot, and 20 witch aelves/sisters of slaughter, possibly a set of Warlocks, but this seems pushing it; retail $195-230 ), Phoenix Temple (likely a Phoenix which comes with an additional model on foot, and 30-40 Phoenix guard; retail $180-220), and possible even Clan Skyre (6 Stormfiends, Warp Lightning Cannon, Doomwheel, and an Arch-Warlock; retail $200ish).  

All of these guesses have to do with the combination of currently supported subfactions, all plastic kits (no finecast), and significantly model(s) that would be too expensive to include in standard Getting Started boxes.

Edited by Thomas Lyons
  • Like 2

Obvious examples of low hanging fruit for boxes would be Fyreslayers (a Magmadroth which comes with an additional model on foot, 10 vulkite berserkers, and 5 hearth guard; retail $210)

Got to agree - it really sucked having to buy a Magmadroth kit just to get a Runefather on Foot and a Runesmiter for my new army (with no intention of using the Magmadroth) - I tried eBay unsuccessfully. I'm using an old metal model as the other Runesmiter.

The Allegiance pack for the Fyreslayers would be the best Christmas present, but I'm not hopeful.

Edited by Nico

16 minutes ago, Nico said:

Got to agree - it really sucked having to buy a Magmadroth kit just to get a Runefather on Foot and a Runesmiter for my new army (with no intention of using the Magmadroth) - I tried eBay unsuccessfully. I'm using an old metal model as the other Runesmiter.

The Allegiance pack for the Fyreslayers would be the best Christmas present, but I'm not hopeful.

I wouldn't be shocked if we see allegiance packs for factions with pre GHB battletomes in the Black Library digital advent this year. They're a quick turnaround, people have been asking for them, and can be republished in future supplements. ;) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

I wouldn't be shocked if we see allegiance packs for factions with pre GHB battletomes in the Black Library digital advent this year. They're a quick turnaround, people have been asking for them, and can be republished in future supplements. ;) 

This would be great! I had a thought, what if one of the things that made them 'premium' Start Collecting boxes was that  pre Ghb armies came with with allegiance packs instead of Warscroll Battalions?

• Like 1

At this point I'm expecting they're waiting until they redo the Grand Alliance books to put allegiances in for the factions that don't have them yet. That way they can do them all at once, plus other ones, and give a little more reason to buy the GA books, which though I bought two I regretted very quickly after considering how fast they go out of date.

Can't wait to hear about sales and bundle deals. Black Friday last year was a nice start before the Start Collecting stuff in January. I have a feeling there is going to be some good deals this year.

• Like 1