The Rumour Thread

I wonder how this 3” combat range will affect different types of weapons. You know it’s pretty obvious that spear has more physical range than sword. And making it’s just a matter of number of attacks or better to hit is a dumb thing. I hope some weapons like spears will receive additional rank bonus (just like in FB/OW), that will represent them better. And I hope there will more profound rules to distinguish different types of weapons regarding that range is gone. 

Also if it is not wholly within 3”, then plenty of units on bigger bases will definitely have a blast! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Your definition is different to mine. "GW Released a free PDF index and then literally nothing else for the faction over a 3-year period" doesn't mean "surviving an edition" to me.  They will get a free pdf pack at the start of the edition and THAT'S IT. 

This isn't directed at you in particular but some people really cannot read what is right in front of them. ALL BOC models are being moved to TOW and BOC will NOT get a BOC AoS4 edition. Just look at the site, the product line. This is happening. 

Up to now I've felt like they wouldn't just get rid of Beasts wholesale, but recently something caught my attention

image.png.5e0be2a8c4de823f1721e632dee8959b.png

The only new AoS BoC mini we've had has the same kind of "oath-stones" as Darkoath.
Maybe they get rolled into S2D as "beastified" Darkoath?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sahrial said:

That’s so weird, mine looks like this

IMG_8041.jpeg

There's an option to clear the text styles. Sometimes it happens as well that if you copy text from the Warcom site it comes with a weird white background. You only notice it if you use black mode.

6 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

Not at all. They'll get legends rules, which means you can't play them at events and they won't get updated. 

This is just pure speculation. We won't know it until we see the indexes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grungnisson said:

And here come the alarm bells. 

image.png.a0648e455d328a9d4676614a67c3841e.png

Last year the 40k indices were trickled out 1 or 2 a day for a couple of weeks iirc. I imagine that's what they mean by "shortly after" - ie, day one stormcast and skaven players can use their index to play, day 2 nighthaunt get to join the fun, etc.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

This is just pure speculation. We won't know it until we see the indexes.

Of course. But it's pure speculation, and imo far less likely, that they'll get abandonware matched play rules that'll last the entire edition. 

Edited by Jagged Red Lines

Beasts of Chaos would most likely get a range refresh/redesign in 4th edition. Vampire Counts and Soulblight both exist as separate armies even if they share some common units I.e: graveguard, coven thrones, corpsecarts, necromancers, vampire on zombie dragon.

Beastmen have seen some love in new sculpts, from Fellgors in 40k to the underworlds set, slaan/tzangors and Beastlord in AoS. They could easily be lined up for a Nercon/Nid style army overhaul after Skaven. We will see in a few months time what happens to Cloven Ones but I don't think they'll get shunted into legends. They deserve better. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Draznak said:

That puts the BOC squatted rumour to bed for now.

If they don't want to alarm players just yet, they may well offer index and never replace it with a proper BT.

And with that reassurance, we can finally put the BOC squatted debate to bed, for now.

And going back to battleshock being gone, I think we'd still have something to represent morale and miniatures fleeing, but it'll be different. But my expectations for it are mitigated. GW has never quite managed to properly represent morale in their games imo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Vampire Counts and Soulblight both exist as separate armies even if they share some common units I.e: graveguard, coven thrones, corpsecarts, necromancers, vampire on zombie dragon.

No they don't. That's the real issue here. Soulblight Gravelords is a fully supported AOS army. Vampire Counts is a "Legends" TOW faction that got a single free PDF of rules, and will be getting no further support. 

GW, for whatever reason, appear to have decided that they want to minimise overlap between AOS and TOW. There are some core factions that both settings need to have - Chaos Warriors, Orcs and Goblins etc, but Beastmen don't fall into that category. It's that logic more than anything else that started the rumours that they were going.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

It looks like pile ins might be getting removed too. I.e. you have to finish a charge within three inches with every model in order for it to be eligible to fight. 

Screenshot_20240327-151013_Samsung Internet.jpg

I don’t read that as pile in getting removed, just not having to spend ages arranging your models to get as many within 1 as possible. Without pile in then the unit that doesn’t charge would just get messed up really bad. You could have all your stuff in range and leave the opponent with only a few

Sahrial, if people have the forum on dark mode then the background colour is set to a dark grey and the text to white by default. If you manually change the text colour from the default it keeps it on the colour you choose, but still flips the background colour, so if you switch text to black then dark mode people get black text on super dark grey.

29 minutes ago, Sahrial said:

That’s so weird, mine looks like this

IMG_8041.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

The terminology was confusing before. "This unit has 5 wounds". Intuitively, does that mean it has 5 HP, 5 max HP or taken 5 points of damage? This is the kind of thing that established players don't notice after a while because you just get used to it. But it is a point of friction that is worth removing for newcomers.

Also, literally every other game just calls it health.

2 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

Closer to videogames as well. Bring all the younglins!

Goh, it depends how you look at it. In all those years be it Warhammer and later AoS. I never thought "wounds" wasn't intuitively. In the end it doesn't matter, just seems a trival change without a real effect. I certainly don't seem it as a friction point for newcomers. 🙂

52 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

Not at all. They'll get legends rules, which means you can't play them at events and they won't get updated. 

That’s not an index, though?

Honestly it kind of feels like people have gone insane about this stuff and squatting any plastic that could possibly be WHFB era. The start of 3e didn’t have people doomsaying all the slaves to darkness kits that got refreshed or anything like that

Edited by Togetak
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

And with that reassurance, we can finally put the BOC squatted debate to bed, for now.

And going back to battleshock being gone, I think we'd still have something to represent morale and miniatures fleeing, but it'll be different. But my expectations for it are mitigated. GW has never quite managed to properly represent morale in their games imo.

And some people complain about the Era of the Beast... with this never-ending debate, this is truly the Era of the Beasts.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Togetak said:

Honestly it kind of feels like people have gone insane about this stuff and squatting any plastic that could possibly be WHFB era. The start of 3e didn’t have people doomsaying all the slaves to darkness kits that got refreshed or anything like that

I mean back in those days people were saying Fyreslayers and Kharadron would be merged instead. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Togetak said:

I generally don't keep harping on it, but @Whitefang back me up, who we can now definitely confirm has inside knowledge of 4th ed, literally said that Beasts will soon no longer be playable in AoS. And Whitefang did indeed back them up (through reactions).

IMO, the evidence is against Beasts staying, as sad as it is.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I generally don't keep harping on it, but @Whitefang back me up, who we can now definitely confirm has inside knowledge of 4th ed, literally said that Beasts will soon no longer be playable in AoS. And Whitefang did indeed back them up (through reactions).

What did Whitefang back me up do to get confirmation? I lost track.

8 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

And the sad faces of Singapur WG, even Rob (that was the first one) if you want to add him to the mix.

Every known leaker is pointing that BoC are going to say goodbye to AoS soon, with any replacement or refresh, just a goodbye.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Togetak said:

To be fair, The Old World wasn't around back then, even if we knew it was coming. The doomsaying can get tiresome, but I understand why people are confused, concerned, and prone to panicking in a situation like this. There's no real precedent for models being shared/torn between game systems like this (except maybe Daemons) and needless to say Games Workshop are not doing much to alleviate concerns.

7 minutes ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

What did Whitefang back me up do to get confirmation? I lost track.

I believe they provided us with the name for new Varanguard champion, Abraxia.

Edited by Magnusaur

14 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I generally don't keep harping on it, but @Whitefang back me up, who we can now definitely confirm has inside knowledge of 4th ed, literally said that Beasts will soon no longer be playable in AoS. And Whitefang did indeed back them up.

I don’t really know how I take that whitefang2 message, especially in the context of all this stuff, but even assuming they’re right I feel like the appropriate reaction is to be loud and obstinate about it being dumb, like people were about the initial CoS refresh marketing implying a full cut of non-human elements that ended up causing a language shift avoiding that in response, rather than the really weird passive acceptance/justification of it that’s been floating around instead. It’s not particuarly good for the game to have a playable plastic faction cut for what appears to be no tangible reason that makes sense to anyone

Edited by Togetak
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Togetak said:

I don’t really know how I take that whitefang2 message, especially in the context of all this stuff, but even assuming they’re right I feel like the appropriate reaction is to be loud and obstinate about it being dumb, like people were about the initial CoS refresh marketing implying a full cut of non-human elements, rather than the really weird passive acceptance/justification of it that’s been floating around instead. It’s not particuarly good for the game to have a playable plastic faction cut for what appears to be no tangible reason that makes sense to anyone

Honestly, most people just genuinely don't really care about Beasts of Chaos as a faction other than a hard core of dedicated fans. And what would complaining about it really do? It takes GW a long time to react to this kind of thing, look how long it took them to do The Old World after how many people complained about ending Fantasy? 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Togetak said:

It’s not particuarly good for the game to have a playable plastic faction cut for what appears to be no tangible reason that makes sense to anyone

It's not good for the game to stagnate and never change either. I can see at least a good dozen reasons why GW are going in this direction. It makes perfect sense to me. 

1 minute ago, Hollow said:

It's not good for the game to stagnate and never change either. I can see at least a good dozen reasons why GW are going in this direction. It makes perfect sense to me. 

it's not that it doesn't make sense, it's that deleting someone's plastic army on the cusp of the FOURTH edition of the game is insane.  they had so much time to do this before, and now BoC is a part of the game, even if a small one.

i also wouldn't call it "stagnation" and "never changing" to keep older armies around.  by that same logic FEC would've been dumpstered instead of getting a massive refresh and renewed narrative presence.  why doesn't BoC deserve the same shot that FEC got?

imo this ultimately chocks down to inter-company politics about the divorce of AoS and TOW, and beasts were one of the least consequential things to give up.

• Like 8