The Rumour Thread

5 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Hexbane's Hunter's pre-order next week.

Also a Darkoath episode of Hammer and Bolter on W+.

Those Elven Characters were only Previewed a couple of hours ago!!

Can you imagine an AOS Preview show happening and the same day they announce theyre up for Pre Order next weekend!?

10 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Those Elven Characters were only Previewed a couple of hours ago!!

Can you imagine an AOS Preview show happening and the same day they announce theyre up for Pre Order next weekend!?

It's not unusual for Forge World stuff to go up the next week after it's announced, but I think this might be the quickest turnaround for sure.

The Leviathan Siege Dreadnought was only announced on a Thursday and went up for pre-order the following Saturday, so never say never?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

Killing off the Tomb Kings and their pantheon of deities was one of GW’s biggest mistakes in my opinion. The Tomb Kings offered death  players an army that didn’t bow down to Nagash but still had the “metal” feel only an army of the undead can produce. GW’s tried to hype up Nagash as this powerful and cunning deity….. but so far he’s the only god in the setting to be Pimp-Slapped in some way or form by every other faction. Hell, I created my own death-god so that I can justify using Nagash’s rules without playing him. 

Did they kill off the Tomb Kings because of the Egyptian themes? I wonder if they were trying to head off any bizarre accusations of using cultural stereotypes for an army.

30 minutes ago, Plinketts Mawtribes said:

Did they kill off the Tomb Kings because of the Egyptian themes? I wonder if they were trying to head off any bizarre accusations of using cultural stereotypes for an army.

Apparently, they sold really badly even by fantasy standards, and the whole line was axed completely along with Brettonia during their reboot into AoS.

they probably also felt it wasn't their strongest IP or iconic asset design among the other Warhammer fantasy armies and decided to not build upon it.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Plinketts Mawtribes said:

Could have been any number of reasons. 

Both bretonnians and tomb kings were fairly 2 dimensional in terms of designs. One was noble knights and dirty peasants and the other mummies in the desert. 

Soulblight gravelords serve better as the classic undead army and in my opinion tomb kings had some of the ugliest models at the time. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, novakai said:

Apparently, they sold really badly even by fantasy standards, and the whole line was axed completely along with Brettonia during their reboot into AoS.

they probably also felt it wasn't their strongest IP or iconic asset design among the other Warhammer fantasy armies and decided to not build upon it.

Yes to an extent, but sales spoke volumes.

don’t forget that they said that anything that didn’t sell wouldn’t be supported or carried forward.

For TK’s Its as simple as the usual story of being bent as hell when they came Out and everyone played them, and so next edition they got so nerfed that nobody looked at them anymore.

4+ years of no sales of note and the writing was on the wall.

Same as brets. No update in any form since 5th edition- 12 years of nothing, niet, nada.

nobody wanted to touch a one trick pony army, especially one who’s one trick had had its day in 5th and was already dead in 6th.

Couple that with no rules writer to have the imagination to move them forward past the king arthur / norman britain trope and once again, the writing was on the wall and the death a slow and painful one.

ultimately its there to make money. If it doesn’t pay its way its gone.

11 hours ago, novakai said:

I think this is part of the reason. They also killed off all the other generic fantasy armies. They killed all the generic orcs & goblins and a huge chunk of the elves and dwarves. Some generic models are still on life support within the CoS tome but i dont think that will be forever. I think generic fantasy stuff is hard for them to copyright and also doesn't set them apart from other tabletop games.

I am going to explode if i have to wait any longer for the new Destruction stuff.

• Like 1

Just now, Gitzdee said:

I think this is part of the reason. They also killed off all the other generic fantasy armies. They killed all the generic orcs & goblins and a huge chunk of the elves and dwarves. Some generic models are still on life support within the CoS tome but i dont think that will be forever. I think generic fantasy stuff is hard for them to copyright and also doesn't set them apart from other tabletop games.

I am going to explode if i have to wait any longer for the new Destruction stuff.

Announce the Tomes already GW and tease us if we are only getting single models!!

do-it-come-on.gif

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

I agree. I love MESBG but after leaving the hobby around 2007-08 I was shocked to see almost all the exact same kits in circulation when I returned. If they updated those it would revitalise the game, much like some AOS Factions!!

This is true, but I think the more realistic art style of LoTR makes a big difference here. Old wfb models look dated because they were always very stylised and kind of cartoonish. Tastes have changed. The new trend is for hyperdetailed models, still with exaggerated proportions, but in a way which takes advantage of higher quality casting. But that pus h for higher quality started with LoTR 20 years ago, and even then the technology was good enough to make pretty high fidelity art that matched the look of the films, and even the actors. they looked worlds better than 90s warhammer not because they could, but because t hey wanted to. There have been incremental improvements to LoTR adding more dynamism, but even the old moria goblins and warriors of the last alliance don't look bad in the way that old skaven do.

As to them scrapping generic models completely... I don't think they will. I'm sure GW would love for everyone who buys warhammer to be part of their ecosystem, and not play anything else, but that isn't really the case. With D&D in particular the last thing they should want is for a new DM to go into a GW store and ask for a box of skeletons please, only to be told "we don't make them, either convert to playing AoS and buy ossiarchs, or get lost and don give us £30!" 

if I were in charge I'd always want to be able to make that first sale, and keep that rpg player coming back for their orcs, their elves, then maybe some skaven, and oh look they are now going to give AoS a try. The generic models are a gateway into the ecosystem for the people who aren't already hooked on it.

But that does assume that upper management have thought that through, and aren't arrogamt enough to assume that their ecosystem is the end all and be all. I wouldn't put it past them to decide it's not worth catering to generic tastes, its hard to know how much of a bubble they are in...

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

Hey Gencon AOS News?
nhie8urq1bg91.jpg
Will I actually check out Soulbound?

Definitely do. I will be finishing a three adventure mini-campaign this month, and so far it has been great! It's a good system which manages to both be mechanically interesting and fairly managable and fast to use. Plus, the art and writing will really satisfy your desire for cool lore.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

As to them scrapping generic models completely... I don't think they will. I'm sure GW would love for everyone who buys warhammer to be part of their ecosystem, and not play anything else, but that isn't really the case. With D&D in particular the last thing they should want is for a new DM to go into a GW store and ask for a box of skeletons please, only to be told "we don't make them, either convert to playing AoS and buy ossiarchs, or get lost and don give us £30!" 

if I were in charge I'd always want to be able to make that first sale, and keep that rpg player coming back for their orcs, their elves, then maybe some skaven, and oh look they are now going to give AoS a try. The generic models are a gateway into the ecosystem for the people who aren't already hooked on it.

But that does assume that upper management have thought that through, and aren't arrogamt enough to assume that their ecosystem is the end all and be all. I wouldn't put it past them to decide it's not worth catering to generic tastes, its hard to know how much of a bubble they are in...

By deleting generic fantasy like orks and elves i just think GW is replacing them. I actually meant its a good thing. Regular orks got replaced by Kruleboyz and i think they did a great job with those. It kept the essence but its still unique. Lumineth is imo High Elves with AoS sauce all over it.

I think Sylvaneth was supposed to be Wood Elves AoS-fied but i feel like they missed the mark. Sylvaneth is its own thing and i still need the wood elves back in my life. I want Gladeguard and Wardancers and Eagles Kurnothi style please. Sylvaneth are awesome dont get me wrong, i have recently bought a full army but they are not the same. 

Edit:

I get the point of generic models being a good thing for other tabletop games but i feel like that is not the direction GW is taking by looking at the decisions they are making. Imo it feels like they want their own brand of models unique to their systems. It does make me wonder how many people buy AoS for D&D or other systems.

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

I think Sylvaneth was supposed to be Wood Elves AoS-fied but i feel like they missed the mark. Sylvaneth is its own thing and i still need the wood elves back in my life. I want Gladeguard and Wardancers and Eagles Kurnothi style please. Sylvaneth are awesome dont get me wrong, i have recently bought a full army but they are not the same. 

Since I am pointy ears lover as well maybe I'm stabbing myself in the back but I actually think GW did a fantastic job with combining trees and wood elves into Sylvaneth, especial with the last release of Spiteriders and Gossamid Archers. I can't think of Wood Elves to fill this same spot but somehow being more wood elfy. Both of these units scream to me "hey, we are wood elves but better".

Hope you don't mind posting pictures of my own minutes mentioned. I really enjoy the design of these models.

IMG_20220806_192257.jpg

IMG_20220712_165229.jpg

IMG_20220712_165321.jpg

Edited by Aeryenn
  • Like 14
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Aeryenn said:

Since I am pointy ears lover as well maybe I'm stabbing myself in the back but I actually think GW did a fantastic job with combining trees and wood elves into Sylvaneth, especial with the last release of Spiteriders and Gossamid Archers. I can't think of Wood Elves to fill this same spot but somehow being more wood elfy. Both of these units scream to me "hey, we are wood elves but better".

I guess this is true and it makes me a bit sad as i have been waiting for a rerelease of Wood Elves since AoS started. I think i have to shift my hopes to a Underworlds or Warcry warband. But i agree that the last Sylvaneth release already filled the gap i wanted Kurnothi to fill. I just like the elf design over the Revenants.

I really hope they update the Spiderfang soon or give them some new units.

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

I guess this is true and it makes me a bit sad as i have been waiting for a rerelease of Wood Elves since AoS started. I think i have to shift my hopes to a Underworlds or Warcry warband. But i agree that the last Sylvaneth release already filled the gap i wanted Kurnothi to fill. I just like the elf design over the Revenants.

I really hope they update the Spiderfang or give them some new units.

Mate they need to update Spiderfang.

If we dont get a new Destruction Faction this Edition and Mawtribes is currently rumoured to only get 1 model in the form of the Butcher and Sons of Behemat MAY BE GRACED WITH OUR SAVIOUR AND LORD OF EVERYTHING STOMPY KING BRODD!! sorry about that ahem and Warclans have had Kruelboyz it would make sense and be only fair that Gloomspite get something.

Even a Sylvaneth release size would be more than perfect. 

Update the Spiders Riders. Update the Scuttleboss and give us one new unit or kit, maybe a Trap Door Spider model.

• Like 2