Where next?

Toddy

So why do people think GW will go with the death faction next?

Soulblight seems and odds on bet for the next new battletome, if the 'its in the GH' theory continues to hold that is.

Hints from the lore/books point to an interesting 'plague zombie's type faction combining death mages with deathwalkers. Though they'll still need some fleshing out (if you'll excuse the phrase).

Deathrattle look like they easily be made into a full faction, but for me they seem a bit bland at the moment. I wonder where they will go with the styling?  Perhaps *cough* Ancient Egyptian... 😉

Or maybe they'll surprises with something new? Perhaps related to the Katophranes and shadespire? Personally I'd like to see something of a  mortal human faction within the death faction in the guise of the people in 'Nagash the eternal king'.

New Grand Alliance books are suposidely coming out.  Sales department at GW does love to make money publishing expensive low-content books.  My guess is GA:Death.  Not going to dismiss the possibility of them publishing a book for every subfaction.  I would very much like to see a Soulblight book.

16 minutes ago, Evil Bob said:

New Grand Alliance books are suposidely coming out.  Sales department at GW does love to make money publishing expensive low-content books.  My guess is GA:Death.  Not going to dismiss the possibility of them publishing a book for every subfaction.  I would very much like to see a Soulblight book.

I hadn't heard about this! Where was this sourced?

Warhammer Community had an article where it was revealed at a convention.  I don’t see katophranes getting a model any time soon as they are spirits trapped in shadeglass.  Death rattle would probably get warmachines or perhaps so specialized characters.  Soulblight desperately plastics bloodknights, vampire infantry and perhaps a type of winged vampire infantry in the vein of the DoK harpies.

From what I´ve understood most Death Factions were already moved into AoS 2.0. There aren´t many actually: We have Legions of Nagash, Soulblight, Nighthaunt and the FEC. All have Battletomes (Soublight beeing included into LoN). Only Tomb Kings are missing, but I wouldn´t expect them to come back without any community preassure. Instead I guess we could rather assume that GW may bring us a Death Faction.

12 minutes ago, Charleston said:

From what I´ve understood most Death Factions were already moved into AoS 2.0. There aren´t many actually: We have Legions of Nagash, Soulblight, Nighthaunt and the FEC. All have Battletomes (Soublight beeing included into LoN). Only Tomb Kings are missing, but I wouldn´t expect them to come back without any community preassure. Instead I guess we could rather assume that GW may bring us a Death Faction.

Ah! Well I have a theory that LoN is just something to ensure Death is playable until they get around to doing books for the *real* factions. Could be quite a while until that happens, but then LoN itself might be retired.

1 hour ago, Gorthor21 said:

I don’t see katophranes getting a model any time soon as they are spirits trapped in shadeglass.  Death rattle would probably get warmachines or perhaps so specialized characters. 

Katophranes are trapped right now... But wouldn't be difficult to change things. Perhaps they could just orchestrate the battle from their prison? (While still being a badass Spellcaster) Or someone could forge gollums from the shadeglass...?

Deathrattle needs abit more than that (though wish they'd kept the screaming skull catapults!). They don't really have much character in their current form (generic skeletons/wights), which seems a big deal to GW these days. Hopefully a major facelift is in the works.

3 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

Vargheist?.... 

I meant some like vampires who were in control of their thirst instead of the feral vargheists.  They could even perform a similar ranged skirmish role like the khinerai with an aesthetic much like this guy 

2F8A0C9D-8F8C-4768-A33D-3B52B4D4D435.jpeg

I'd love for Soulblight to get a massive release with new lords, knights, general stuff GW will add onto just for funsies, foot & flying vamps the general idea people seem to have.

I'd also love it if they Nagash aligned humans were mixed in with this faction. Human Archers/Crossbowman shooting death arrows (like in that one Maligned Portents story with Rotigus), perhaps a Thrall unit that can serve as the cheap battleline and the Vampires can choose to feed on one regaining wounds, cast additional spells, or have more attacks. 

10 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

This is not true. It was people completely misunderstanding what GW said. GW didn't say each Grand Alliance was getting a new "grand alliance" book. They said that there would be new battletomes for factions in each grand alliance. 

8 hours ago, themortalgod said:

This is not true. It was people completely misunderstanding what GW said. GW didn't say each Grand Alliance was getting a new "grand alliance" book. They said that there would be new battletomes for factions in each grand alliance. 

That wouldn’t be the first time Warhammer Community passed bad information.

While Soulblight seems the an obvious choice, how they'll handle it will be interesting to say the least.

Legion of Blood is basically a better Soulblight so thats a weird point, not to mention 2 of the 4 mortarchs are also Soulblight.

I can see either 3 things occur in somewhat messy explanations.

Soulblight becomes another Nighthaunt, it's own separate army but many units are available in LoN

Soublight gets units already "locked" into Legion of Blood (already have LoB keyword) but otherwise doesn't change much in terms of allegiance abilities.

Soublight becomes an expansion to LoB, where LoB becomes far more expanded.

9 hours ago, Rhivan said:

I'd also love it if they Nagash aligned humans were mixed in with this faction.

Unfortunately if GW hasnt done that for any of the undead armies in the past years, I don't think they're going to start now.

Remember in WFB there were still plenty of humans living in Sylvania and there are also humans serving the Tomb Kings.

Now for the love of Nagash please get some darn shooting though! Arkhan, didya hit your head or something!

And new zombies. pleeeeeease! Even the mantic zombies are starting to get stale!

22 hours ago, Toddy said:

Katophranes are trapped right now... But wouldn't be difficult to change things. Perhaps they could just orchestrate the battle from their prison? (While still being a badass Spellcaster) Or someone could forge gollums from the shadeglass...?

I have a theory that one of Sigmar's unopened Chambers consists of Katophranes freed by Sigmar after their glass was recovered by Stormcast sent to Shadespire.  Most of the citizens would have been non-magical people, with the elite being the powerful wizards.  This is pure peculation and probably wrong, but, in the absence of actual lore, anything's possible.

Archived