What am I doing wrong??

ItzMercy

I already responded to you on the other thread so i'll copy paste:

Are you experienced with dry brushing? You should really practice new techniques on something like a grot ($1) instead of a Skragrott ($40) but i don't think it will hurt to paint it back black and start over. 

It seems like your brush is too wet. A good test is, after drying the brush on a paper towel,  brush your hand. Is there still paint?  You should just barely see any.
 Also make sure you have the proper kind of brush. citadel sells a "dry brush" but the idea is short stiff bristles. 
Also, it looks like your brushing technique is not quite right. 

Really you need to do 2 things:
1. Watch warhammer TV. It should not be hard to find a video of duncan drybrushing something. Watch a few. 
2. Practice on models you don't care about as much

Well for drybrushing it looks like you have too much paint on the brush.

Brush should be basically dry and most of the paint rubbed off first so only the smallest amount left and should take multiple passes of the brush before you see much paint showing. You also want to make sure your going across the edge of the model you want to drybrush and not along it.

On the layering it could be that the paints too thick or too much paint on the brush

Hope that helps.

In this instance it looks to me like your brush was still wet after cleaning it. If you are dry brushing make sure your brush is COMPLETELY dry before getting any paint on the brush, then as the others have said, take the paint off the brush on a paper towel until you think its all gone, and then take off some more. 

2 hours ago, hammer49 said:

Well for drybrushing it looks like you have too much paint on the brush.

Brush should be basically dry and most of the paint rubbed off first so only the smallest amount left and should take multiple passes of the brush before you see much paint showing. You also want to make sure your going across the edge of the model you want to drybrush and not along it.

On the layering it could be that the paints too thick or too much paint on the brush

Hope that helps.

2 hours ago, sorokyl said:

I already responded to you on the other thread so i'll copy paste:

Are you experienced with dry brushing? You should really practice new techniques on something like a grot ($1) instead of a Skragrott ($40) but i don't think it will hurt to paint it back black and start over. 

It seems like your brush is too wet. A good test is, after drying the brush on a paper towel,  brush your hand. Is there still paint?  You should just barely see any.
 Also make sure you have the proper kind of brush. citadel sells a "dry brush" but the idea is short stiff bristles. 
Also, it looks like your brushing technique is not quite right. 

Really you need to do 2 things:
1. Watch warhammer TV. It should not be hard to find a video of duncan drybrushing something. Watch a few. 
2. Practice on models you don't care about as much

I tried doing some Grots, and these were my best results... along with m two worth. Also I find it super frustrating getting the right amount of paint, I either have way too much or literally nothing will be coming off my brush. 

16D5AF7A-4DB9-4921-9EF8-AD0D90862DF4.jpeg

A8F3D25E-FC8F-4335-B90F-B5B91C06B0A9.jpeg

9AB5EAF4-3890-4E0C-A94E-01418DE50FF9.jpeg

Tip:

Rub the brush clean on the back of your hand (bare skin). If it's no longer "streaky" on your hand, it's ready to be flicked across your model's.

Also: pick up some cheap make up brushes (the large kind) for drybrushing and thank me later! ;)

From the look of these last pictures a couple of coats of nuln oil or 50/50 Nuln oil/Lahmian Medium would get you to nice spot, maybe even 4 or 5 coats. Thats how I do my black, it creates a nice blended look.

Dont fret, it will look good in the end.

Think you just need to be patient. Also not all models work well for drybrushing as it works better with models with lots of sharp edges to work from. Thugh you could try a smaller drybrush to see if you can gain more control

Small amount of paint with lots of passes making sure your brushing in right direction. You could start slightly  darker with your first drybrush colour then use another lighter one on top to make it more gradual and as Sainted 75 suggested you could use a diluted wash over what your drybrushing in a similar colour to the basecoat to tie it all together.

The best dry brush video I saw was Duncan’s bloodthirster tutorial, I copied what he did and it didn’t let me down.

Basically get a small bit of paint on your dry brush (I use a citadel dry brush), and dry it on a paper towel and try brushing the towel lightly until you see the paint catching on the raised parts of the towel. Start light and gradually build up.

Here is the video - see from about 3min 30 sec

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nDwEGQLk6BE

Have at least two drybushes (I mean the actual physical brush) for each size.

That way, you can always have one drying for at least 24 hours, while using the other.

I find only time can make brushes truly dry enough for drybrushing, and no amount of physical drying of the bristles will really suffice.

When they say to use a DRY brush, they truly mean it. It must be bone dry.

You either have too much paint on your brush, or your brush is wet. Also, I would not advise drybrushing over black - instead, go for the edge highlights and layering on "strategic" places. You can drybrush the very ends of their cloaks (the ones closest to earth), because they would probably be the dirtiest and colour would be washed out.

Other tip with painting black, you don’t actually need to highlight it at all if you draw focus elsewhere.

Black is very difficult to paint because anything other than black-well, isn’t black, and anything other than the most subtle job just makes it look multicoloured.

If you think about the “Little Black Dress” in fashion, that’s so Iconic because it provides a platform for other stuff-hair, make-up, jewellery.  If you focus just on the skin weapons etc and doing a neat job on them I gurantee you’ll barely notice an absence of highlighting on the robes

Other advice is don’t paint black. Do something like Skaven Blight Dinge then use a black wash. From a distance the robes will look very dark and the darkest parts black. 

It looks like either your brush itself is damp / wet or you haven't dried the paint enough on a paper towel. You need to make sure that your drybrush is actually dry, aka you haven't washed it in your water pot recently, even doing that and then trying to drybrush after will mess up the dry brushing if the bristles have even a hint of water residue. What you need to do is make sure the brush is completely dry before you even put any paint on it, if necessary squeeze it over and over with paper towels and leave it for 15 mins and then squeeze again to ensure it's dry.

For the actual drybrushing start very very light, after you've added paint to the drybrush you should dry it out on a paper towel until you can barely see it on the towel. 

Then for the actual drybrushing technique you need to angle your brush against the edges you want to highlight and drybrush VERY lightly, DO NOT add force to your brush unless you are purposely trying to make the area you are drybrushing have a stronger effect. Start small, sometimes a subtle effects is better than heavy drybrushing.

I think everybody has already provided you with good feedback.  Here is a great video that should help you get the desired results.

The other suggestion would be to fill the gaps on his cloak.  There are a lot of gap filling putties, I use liquid green stuff.

good luck.

Archived