5kaven5lave

11 hours ago, Gwendar said:

@Kimbo When it comes to 1k, I play heavy into Skryre with 40-60 Clanrats as "tax" but I don't really think Skaven do well without that tax when it comes to objectives. If you want to go heavy Verminus, your options largely lie with Clanrats and overpriced Stormvermin.

Besides the rats, what is a Good unitsthat will be used for 2k?  Is there any "auto include" stuff he should know about? 

Do you have a list for 1k? Would love to see something you played that worked for you! 😊

Edited by Kimbo

23 minutes ago, Laststand said:

Has anyone tried the new low cost Purple Sun? I was wondering if a skitterleap to the backline, casting it into the heart of the enemy front line and a retreat through a gnawhole might cause a decent amount of chaos for 50pts. 

Don’t now I’d rather pay the iron price for the warpfire weapon team, and keep him behind a very similar looking unit of clanrats.

against hordes with 1-2 wounds the thrower will be possible better.

anything else and I can see the sun doing some massive damage.

3 hours ago, Laststand said:

Has anyone tried the new low cost Purple Sun? I was wondering if a skitterleap to the backline, casting it into the heart of the enemy front line and a retreat through a gnawhole might cause a decent amount of chaos for 50pts. 

Eh.. if you're going to Skitterleap something to get a spell off, you'd be better off doing WLV since you can't cast 2 Endless Spells. You could potentially send out a Sun the following turn if they're still somewhat clumped.. but yeah I would always prioritize taking and using a 100 point WLV over that thing since it only does anything on 6's.

3 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Besides the rats, what is a Good unitsthat will be used for 2k?  Is there any "auto include" stuff he should know about? 

Do you have a list for 1k? Would love to see something you played that worked for you! 😊

Warpseers are typically an auto-include for most lists even with the increase. I run very shooting heavy, so 6-9 Jezzails and 20-30 Acolytes are my choices for "hammers", but 40-80 Monks are still ridiculous and you should always try to throw in 40 if possible. I think you really need to have between 80-100 Clanrats for screens\objectives; 40-20-20 or 40-40-20 is what I usually go with.

For 1k (vanguard or meeting engagements) I typically run 40-80 Clanrats, an Arch-Warlock and from there you can kinda fill in as you please. I usually go with a WLC as the increased threat range from Jezzails isn't as big a deal on the smaller board-space. Taking WLV is great at 1k and you don't need a Grey Seer as the smaller board makes the 13" range tolerable and it can easily be used for area denial. I also like to bring a Doomwheel from time-to-time and it generally does well. Just keep it shooting and running over things more so than in combat.. but it can always charge in if needed to hold something in place. Other than that, same rules apply of taking Monks if you can squeeze them in. The biggest detriment at 1k honestly is you can't really bring any VL's or more than 2 Heroes, and even that's pushing it as we need those Clanrats and Punchy\Shooty units to do some work.

21 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

Eh.. if you're going to Skitterleap something to get a spell off, you'd be better off doing WLV since you can't cast 2 Endless Spells

@GwendarYou can only cast 1 endless spell? I know you cant try to cast the same one but why cant i use a grey seer to skitterleap an archwarlock (or another seer) and cast WLV and purple sun? I def agree the WLV is the best but I was just trying to see if anyone had been sneaky and trapped opponents in a WLV box with a Purple Sun. 

Wow. Thanks for the help. 

With what you wrote in mind i made these 2 lists. What you Think about them? 

------

LIST 1 (1000p) 

Grey Seer (screaming bell) 

- Death Frenzy 

Warlock bombardier

- deranged inventor 

- MMMWP 

40x Clanrats 

40x clanrats 

6x warplock jezz 

------

LIST 2 (980p) 

Arch- Warlock 

- Vigordust 

- MMMWP 

- Master of Magic 

- Death Frenzy 

40x Clanrats 

20x Clanrats 

40x plaugemonks 

------

Anyone else can ofc comment. I'd love all the help 😊 

Edited by Kimbo

1 hour ago, Laststand said:

@GwendarYou can only cast 1 endless spell? I know you cant try to cast the same one but why cant i use a grey seer to skitterleap an archwarlock (or another seer) and cast WLV and purple sun? I def agree the WLV is the best but I was just trying to see if anyone had been sneaky and trapped opponents in a WLV box with a Purple Sun. 

No, I meant 1 Wizard can only cast 1 endless spell per turn. You can cast them from different wizards, I was just saying with only 1 Skitterleap you would have to make that choice as the Sun and WLV both have very short ranges.

From Malign Sorcery: 
ES.PNG.9da6ed9f74bbe76e58ad242b3d5aeb7a.PNG

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

Wow. Thanks for the help. 

With what you wrote in mind i made these 2 lists. What you Think about them? 

------

LIST 1 (1000p) 

- Death Frenzy 

Warlock bombardier

- deranged inventor 

- MMMWP 

40x Clanrats 

40x clanrats 

6x warplock jezz 

------

LIST 2 (980p) 

Arch- Warlock 

- Vigordust 

- MMMWP 

- Master of Magic 

- Death Frenzy 

40x Clanrats 

20x Clanrats 

40x plaugemonks 

------

Anyone else can ofc comment. I'd love all the help 😊 

MMMWP is useless in the 2nd list due to having no Skryre units... so you may as well just drop the Arch Warlock altogether for something else. For the 1st, I like it but Jezzails don't need MMMWP and Deranged Inventor; DI is just good if you need to move and still get their hit re-rolls but MMMWP + Vigordust will likely kill 1-2 of them in the end. You could bring the 2nd and just substitute the AW for a Cannon or Doomwheel to get some shooting in their. Neither of those absolutely need a Skryre unit and can perform decently on their own. The Screaming Bell will be a big target for people however, so keep that in mind.

56 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

No, I meant 1 Wizard can only cast 1 endless spell per turn. You can cast them from different wizards, I was just saying with only 1 Skitterleap you would have to make that choice as the Sun and WLV both have very short ranges.

From Malign Sorcery: 
ES.PNG.9da6ed9f74bbe76e58ad242b3d5aeb7a.PNG

MMMWP is useless in the 2nd list due to having no Skryre units... so you may as well just drop the Arch Warlock altogether for something else. For the 1st, I like it but Jezzails don't need MMMWP and Deranged Inventor; DI is just good if you need to move and still get their hit re-rolls but MMMWP + Vigordust will likely kill 1-2 of them in the end. You could bring the 2nd and just substitute the AW for a Cannon or Doomwheel to get some shooting in their. Neither of those absolutely need a Skryre unit and can perform decently on their own. The Screaming Bell will be a big target for people however, so keep that in mind.

1st list: 

The reason for the MMMWP + Vigor came from looking at alot of the ETC 2019 team lists. Alot of lists with that combo (but 9 or 12 jezz instead). And using that move "And still re-roll" ability. Even if i loose some, to re-roll a 4+ to hit that can get 2mw on 6 is Nice? And 3+ to wound re-roll is really solid. 

But Hey, maybe they are used better in those lists. 

2nd list: 

Oh. Clearly missed that, Thanks! 

So just 1 Hero? Is there not Another Hero choice that would be Nice? Or cannon /wheel just better? 

Just now, Kimbo said:

1st list: 

The reason for the MMMWP + Vigor came from looking at alot of the ETC 2019 team lists. Alot of lists with that combo (but 9 or 12 jezz instead). And using that move "And still re-roll" ability. Even if i loose some, to re-roll a 4+ to hit that can get 2mw on 6 is Nice? And 3+ to wound re-roll is really solid. 

But Hey, maybe they are used better in those lists. 

2nd list: 

Oh. Clearly missed that, Thanks! 

So just 1 Hero? Is there not Another Hero choice that would be Nice? Or cannon /wheel just better? 

MMMWP + Vigor is a great combo, I just think it's typically wasted on Jezzails as they die quite quickly and I would rather have them putting out solid damage throughout than 1-2 turns of being slightly better unless they can assuredly kill off quite a few things in those turns; preference really. I also tend to take 20-30 Acolytes when I take Jezzails and those always get MMMWP + Vigordust and the Jezzails just get DI so they can still move and keep their re-rolls to hit. Again, at 1k this is a bit different so it can work well just pumping everything into the 6 Jezzails, like I always tell people, you really just have to give things a try and see how they work out over 1-3 games. From my point of view, 6 Jezzails are not resilient enough to be buffed since they will take 2d3 MW's afterwards, which is why if you're going to buff them with anything but DI you take 9 for some longevity.. but again, this is for 2k.

I'm biased towards shooting.. I've done well only having 1 Hero at 1k when I take the AW because of how tanky he is, especially with Verminous Valour. If you really want a second one, consider a Grey Seer as Wither is an incredible spell and you then have your choice of another Masterclan lore. The Doomwheel see's more play for me at 1k just because the random movement isn't as detrimental on the smaller board and it's actually a really great assassin unit. I've had plenty of games where it's moved up along the side (or through my own Clanrats or opponents units) and then shot a Slann or other hero off the board, especially with MMMWP.

2 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Of course, you're right!

3 hours ago, Laststand said:

Of course, you're right!

Believe me, I wish I wasn't for this in particular because being able to cast multiple would be great...

...Until you started to see ridiculous Tzeentch and Nagash lists using a ton of them from an overbuffed caster.

Edited by Gwendar

Greetings fellow Ratmen, i've just recently recruited my first bunch of minions, the sick ones and their war machines, yes-yes.

Despite how much I tortured my 20 Monks they refuse to take both the banners and chimes I prepared for them. Which is why i wanted to ask the smartest and most cunning bunch of ratmen which once you would choose if you'd have to pick one of each to start out with?

Also do you guys think that there is a chance that we will scurry our way into the Eight Gate (Warcry) in order to claim victory as the most powerful warband out there?

28 minutes ago, Kureon said:

Greetings fellow Ratmen, i've just recently recruited my first bunch of minions, the sick ones and their war machines, yes-yes.

1)Despite how much I tortured my 20 Monks they refuse to take both the banners and chimes I prepared for them. Which is why i wanted to ask the smartest and most cunning bunch of ratmen which once you would choose if you'd have to pick one of each to start out with?

2)Also do you guys think that there is a chance that we will scurry our way into the Eight Gate (Warcry) in order to claim victory as the most powerful warband out there?

1)doom gong and contagion banner.

probably one of those instruments I am more amused about in battle, since the extra inch to the charge roll and run roll can save your live, and dealing some mortal wounds when dying can be quit amusing, especially when the unit attacking you dies from it.

2)I have no idea how it’ll be looking like for Warcry and our beloved skaven.

either we will be a part of the game sooner or later, or never.

Looking for some feedback on a couple of options for a shooting component to my list. 

Option 1:

Acolytes x20

Jezzails x9

Total points: 660

Option 2:

Stormfiends x6

WLC

Total points: 700

So as you can see, the points are roughly equivalent, with option 2 being just slightly more expensive. Some of my thoughts on each option.

Option 1 gives layered threat bands to the army. The jezzails provide long range firepower, potential MW output and the invaluable ability to snipe characters. The acolytes provide a more mobile shooting platform, albeit with a bit more risk due to their need to be closer. But, as numerous others have pointed out, a unit of acolytes w/MMMWP and/or vigordust is absolutely lethal. However, both units are fragile so the tolls that the buffs will take plus any damage suffered throughout the battle make their effectiveness diminish.

Option 2 gives less layered threats, but more sustainable units. Stormfiends are much sturdier than jezzails and acolytes combined. They must take at least 20 wounds before losing any ranged effectiveness, and become more dangerous the closer the engagement. They also make a fantastic target for the standard MMMWP/vigordust buffs. The WLC compliments them nicely and helps to fill that MW output that’s missing without jezzails. Granted the WLC is slow, but it has a decent threat range and can be a great source for MW output. The drawbacks of this option is the shorter threat range and less mobility for the stormfiends compared to the acolytes. I’d also want to consider an extra engineer for the WLC, so the cost would really be 800.

For reference, because I know it’s difficult to comment without the full picture, but the core of my list is as follows:

Arch Warlock – MMMWP/Vigordust Injector

Grey Seer – skitterleap

Warpsee

Clanrats x40 – spears

Clanrats x20 – swords

Clanrats x20 – swords

WLV

Total: 1140 points

So in saying that, Option 1 leaves a little wiggle room with points to play around with. Option 2 pretty much locks in the rest of the list. Thoughts/comments/suggestions? Thanks in advance

9 hours ago, Brakkus said:

Looking for some feedback on a couple of options for a shooting component to my list. 

I'd go with option 1. 

I still don't think stormfiends fit into many lists that well, even with the pt decrease. If you use them as a shooting unit you're essentially getting a single ratling gun and jezzail that has more wounds, and a melee model that just tanks damage. 9 Jezzails are just way better for shooting, they have longer range and can deal some really good damage with warpstone sparks (and without). 20 acolytes is a scary thing for your opponent too 😄

• Like 1

Some Stormvermin that are heavily inspired by @Gwendar's posts!

As well as the remaining Verminus list I need to paint in this entire scheme :( 

Threw an OSL one in there to spark some criticism and hopefully to point me in the right direction of whether to do the OSL with all of the models or not, or even just how to better improve it!

IMG_20190721_122016.jpg

IMG_20190726_165216.jpg

IMG_20190726_165618.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

Glad people like the scheme, though I totally took the idea (and morphed it a bit) from Shoe @ Rerolling Ones.

Speaking of Skaven (weird to be talking about it in this thread, am I right?), have another small tourney this weekend and will be bringing the new, post FAQ magic list:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Skaventide
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Verminlord Warpseer (300)
- General
- Trait: Master of Magic 
Verminlord Corruptor (280)
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
Verminlord Deceiver (300)
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (220)
- Lore of Ruin: Skitterleap
Arch-Warlock (160)
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: Chain Warp Lightning

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Endless Spells / Terrain
Warp Lightning Vortex (100)
Aethervoid Pendulum (50)
Vermintide (40)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 135

Can't recall what realms we're in, but there's generally at least 1-3 realm spells that are useful per realm. I'll be sure to have batreps up on my blog below by Saturday or Sunday. I have a feeling it won't go as well considering how well my casting\unbind\dispell rolls were doing last month with it so I'm due for a shift in luck sometime soon. Next month I'll likely go back to using my 9 Jezzails + 25 Acolytes list, but wanted to get at least 1 more showing out of this one.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 2

Well, as much as I hate to say it no batreps today. I played against the same questionable Fyreslayers player as last month and I forfeited the game round 2.  Long story short, I was constantly being berated and getting snarky comments when doing anything (from calling everything BS to being upset that I follow the rules to a T) and I was pushed over the edge when he charged a unit off an objective (three places of power, so he no longer would control it), made two more charges and then tried to go back and move it back. When I told him he already committed the move and got more snarkiness, I forfeited and he became a bit violent and got in my face about it but.. I'll spare the details so as to not rant. The guy is now banned so all is well.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't bring you guys a report, was looking forward to trying this new magic list but such is life. Next month we're supposed to be doing meeting engagements so that will be interesting.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

Hello Everyone,

I have been recently forced by circumstances to pick up and play teammates Skaven on the upcoming ETC. The more and more I play and train with the rattos the more I actually like them and now I am at the point where I would actually like to make a list for myself which I could enjoy. I have come up with something as follows:

Leaders
Grey Seer (140)
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
Plague Priest on Plague Furnace (200)
Thanquol on Boneripper (400)
- Lore of Ruin: Warpgale
Warlock Bombardier (100)
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
6 x Stormfiends (520)

40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Woe-stave

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 172

Now, I have a few questions. How is Thanquol? I love the rat, the myth, the legend and the model is one of the biggest staples for Skavens (along with Stormfiends). I would love to play him with 4 flamethrowers and just BBQ things, not sure how he actually works in games, whats your experience with him?

Stormfiends - I plan on running Windlaunchers+Ratling cannons, now, I understand you are going to say to just play Jezzails and a weapon team or two, but man, do I hate Jezzails. The MMMWP chipping, puny saves, and god forbid if someone actually get some MW on them with spells.  My question is about the melee weapon, I get that generaly the Doomflayers are probably the better choice, but with Vigordust and MMMWP arent shock gauntlets actually more reliable and with bigger damage output?

Plague monks - does it makes sense to play the furnace just for one 40 of them? It feels to me that without it they are not nearly as strong, be it the +1 att prayer or the battleshock immunity.

Do you have any other ideas or improvements to the list? I would like to steer from the Jezzails as noted before, they just don't feel fun to me, be it playing them or against them. If you would persuade me to drop Thanquol or Furnace+Monks, I would probably include WLC, WLV, maybe a doomwheel for funsies.

Sneaky edit: Who to make a general and what trait to take? Furnace to reroll prayers? DI on bombardier? Master of magic on Grey seer?
Edited by Pejzub

31 minutes ago, Pejzub said:

Hello Everyone,

I have been recently forced by circumstances to pick up and play teammates Skaven on the upcoming ETC. The more and more I play and train with the rattos the more I actually like them and now I am at the point where I would actually like to make a list for myself which I could enjoy. I have come up with something as follows:

1)Allegiance: Skaventide

Leaders
Grey Seer (140)
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
Plague Priest on Plague Furnace (200)
Thanquol on Boneripper (400)
- Lore of Ruin: Warpgale
Warlock Bombardier (100)
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
6 x Stormfiends (520)

40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Woe-stave

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 172

2)Now, I have a few questions. How is Thanquol? I love the rat, the myth, the legend and the model is one of the biggest staples for Skavens (along with Stormfiends). I would love to play him with 4 flamethrowers and just BBQ things, not sure how he actually works in games, whats your experience with him?

3)Stormfiends - I plan on running Windlaunchers+Ratling cannons, now, I understand you are going to say to just play Jezzails and a weapon team or two, but man, do I hate Jezzails. The MMMWP chipping, puny saves, and god forbid if someone actually get some MW on them with spells.  My question is about the melee weapon, I get that generaly the Doomflayers are probably the better choice, but with Vigordust and MMMWP arent shock gauntlets actually more reliable and with bigger damage output?

4)Plague monks - does it makes sense to play the furnace just for one 40 of them? It feels to me that without it they are not nearly as strong, be it the +1 att prayer or the battleshock immunity.

5)Do you have any other ideas or improvements to the list? I would like to steer from the Jezzails as noted before, they just don't feel fun to me, be it playing them or against them. If you would persuade me to drop Thanquol or Furnace+Monks, I would probably include WLC, WLV, maybe a doomwheel for funsies.

6)Sneaky edit: Who to make a general and what trait to take? Furnace to reroll prayers? DI on bombardier? Master of magic on Grey seer?

Well your list looks good, although I would throw out Thanqoul and the furnace, and take some more shooting or a Warpseer, some more shooting and the  Vortex endless spell.

2)well Thanqoul is probably one of our best casters we have.

he is also a very good damage dealing unit, but the problem you’ll be facing is that he firstly dies very, very fast too literally anything, and secondly cost a fortune of point that are better spend elsewhere.

Still of you want to take him, than do it, there’s nothing stopping you.

3)Stormfiends are a very strong unit, especially when buffed with mmmwp, vigordust I nectar and the +1damage buff. I’ve played with them and was very pleased with their damage output, still jezzails with the +1damage bonus have done a lot more for me, but seeing how you’re basically skipping everything Skavenlike (meaning you have almost no body’s on the field (no staying power)) you might be better of taking the stormfiends, since they are much more resilient than our snipers.

4plague monks are a fine unit able to kill anything in their way, even without needing the support of a furnace, which is why I would throw the furnace out of your list.

5)as for any other ideas, yeah i definitely have a few, although I doubt you’ll like it.

it would be more of a horde approach.

6)I would take the bombardier or a warpseer as your warlord.

give your bombardier the deranged inventor trait, with which you can give your Stormfiends a weaker mmmwp buff when the spell doesn’t go off.

or the master of magic for your warpseer.

I use Thanquol a lot... I don’t have any Verminlords, but I like him. I take him with 4 braziers and use him as a battering ram. He’s a straight up hero killer dealing massive amounts of damage with good rend. If I want warpfire... I take a warpfire team. I’ve always found him pretty resilient too with his 4+/5+ save and healing a wound each round.

Hi, I have 2 rules questions regarding the Warlock Engineers/Bombardiers please:

- Can we cast Warp Lightning more than once per engineer? For example if the engineer is on top of a balewind. The warscroll says any number of engineer can cast the spell. I suppose it negates the core rules on that?

- Can we use multiple engineer to boost a same Warp Lightning Cannon? The warscroll says that a single engineer cannot boost more than one cannon. But what if I boost one cannon with two engineers? Do I get to roll 18 dice then?

Thanks

Hey Everyone.

I know i have posted something like this recently, but once again i'm in doubt...
I am going to a tournament pretty soon and i have decided to bring skaven. I have never really tried them out, so maybe it's not that smart but who cares. I came up with the following list:

Spoiler

Leaders
Arch-Warlock (160)
- General
- Trait: Overseer of Destruction 
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
- Artefact: Suspicious Stone 
Verminlord Warbringer (280)
Grey Seer (140)

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Foetid Blades
- 1x Icon of Pestilence
- 1x Contagion Banner
- 1x Doom Gongs
- 1x Bale Chimes
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)
1 x Ratling Gun (60)

Endless Spells / Terrain

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 184

However i have been reading through the forum and i noticed people really like Jezzails! So i came up with another list and i really need help with what list to choose...
Second List:

Spoiler

Leaders
Arch-Warlock (160)
- General
- Trait: Overseer of Destruction 
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
- Artefact: Suspicious Stone 
Grey Seer (140)

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Foetid Blades
- 1x Icon of Pestilence
- 1x Contagion Banner
- 1x Doom Gongs
- 1x Bale Chimes
9 x Warplock Jezzails (420)

Endless Spells / Terrain

Total: 1920 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 181

I also have some questions :)
1) - Is it worth brining the Warbringer in the first list? I mainly use it for Death Frenzy on monks. 
2.  - Should i bring more endless spells? I have heard that spell heavy lists are quite good?

I am leaning towards the first list, i quite like it, but i want to be as competitive as possible. 
So what lists looks more competitve? Or is there something i should change to make a list more cpmpetitve?

Thanks before hand :)